PDA

View Full Version : OT - Ski/Wakeboard Boat Info

BoatNut Recruiter
08-08-2006, 08:23 AM
A little OT for this site, but maybe someone can help.
I need to learn a lot about the ski/wakeboard boat market; the boats, competitive comparisons, the customer demographic, etc.....TODAY.....then deliver a training program....TOMORROW!
I've been to some of the ski/wakeboard magazine sites, but I'm not getting enough "deep" information, quickly.
Are there any tow boat Subject Matter Experts on here?
Thanks! Kim

NautiTwins
08-08-2006, 08:25 AM
I need to learn a lot about the ski/wakeboard boat market; the boats, competitive comparisons, the customer demographic, etc.....TODAY.....then deliver a training program....TOMORROW!
I've been to some of the ski/wakeboard magazine sites, but I'm not getting enough "deep" information, quickly.
Thanks! Kim
I am by far no expert. But I do enjoy owning a Nautique, very much. Acutally in my opinon there are no other tow boats.

Huntingtonbeach
08-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Try www.wakeworld.com for lots of info and board happy peeps... I like my Sky Supreme as the nautique wake wasn't to my liking but hey it's only my personal opinion.

Trailer Park Casanova
08-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks! Kim
Most of the Wakeboard Boats on the market are re-graphic'd ski boats from the 1980's & 1990's.
If ya crawl under the boat and the last 2/3 of the hull is flat then it's a re- badged ski boat from yesteryear.
A few builders have brought dedicated wakeboard boats onto the market.
Tige' (in Corona / Texas) has the most popular model the 22iR.
It's almost a couple feet wider, very heavy, and has a unique shaped curve bottom with a V hull that makes it unique to the industry.
It turns at speed almost within' it's own length, and it gets on plane before wake speed.
Small block V8's are the choice propulsion for all lines, but occasionally ya find some who go with other type of engines.
They can be mounted either direct drive, or V drive.
The direct drives have more weight center, thus the driver can see over the steering wheel on take-off towing because the bow of the boat rides lower faster than many V drives.
If you observe a Mastercrap V drive towing a boarder, chances the driver is standing up, or on his knees on the seat so they can see over the dash.
Good, fast 360 degree vision is essential with PWC's approaching from all directions.
But more often and more important, you're operating in ski zones or ski lanes and a good chance a down'd skier may be in the water just a short distance ahead.
Ya gain nothing really using a bigger motor than the the small block V8, just a bigger fuel burn, and maybe a second or two up onto plane, but the wakeboarder isn't in position yet anyway so that early speed advantage is a push.
If you call Tige' in Corona, they can give you tons of info of the state of the industry and honest take of other lines over the phone.
Ask for Daniel.
Absolute Marine is another honest take good dealer, but I don't have their number, they'd be glad to give you all kinds of takes.
Hope this is of some help.
Wakeboarding is to Waterskiing what snoboarding is to snow skiing.
Wakeboard boat owners tend to be more into wakeboarding than boats, and more into themselves than wakeboarding. It's an entirely different culture than the boat crowd.

Riomouse911
08-08-2006, 07:13 PM
If you can, try and demo as many boats as possible before you buy. Everyone has their favorite marque', and it's usually the one sitting in their garage right now. See what you like and don't like, drive them to make sure they fit you, then buy.
MalibumastercrafttigesupremesupramoombaMBgekkonaut iquesangercalabriaetc.. all have their ups and downs. I have my preference from years of riding behind the majority of the ones I just listed, and I always say try before you buy. Nothing is worse than trading in a "bought on the trailer one day only boat show special" on another boat the very next season because it sucks....we get them all the time.