PDA

View Full Version : Elephant Butte New Mexico

Biglue
01-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Hello all.
Had a few questions about Elephant Butte NM and I figured you Midwest folks would be the best to ask. We are planning a trip with several ISL forum members out to this lake in June. We are making it a place where it will be the closest thing to a mid way point to Texas folks and Cali people. Any info and input will be greatly appreciated.
1) What is a good/best camping ground there? Will be several families.
2) Can boats be left in water overnight?
3) Will the lake be smaller boat friendly? (Jet boats etc).
4) Is there any waterfront camp sites?
5) Is anyone aware of any scheduling conflicts like races and so forth in the month of June?
Thanks in advance folks.
Louie.

Ken F
01-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Did a Google search for "camping Elephant Butte New Mexico"
http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&lr=&q=camping&near=Elephant+Butte,+NM+87935&sa=X&oi=localr
http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/nmparks/
http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/nmparks/PAGES/PARKS/BUTTE/BUTTE.HTM
I used to go there a lot when I lived in Santa Fe, but that was 25 years ago-
Beautiful lake
Ken F

LUVNLIFE
01-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Can someone throw up some pics, preferably where the races are held there. I was always curious of what it was like and the turnout. Race pics would be even better. Thanks :D

C-2
01-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Send carreraboat from this board a PM - Bo lives there and is very familiar with the lake, and its current water level (maybe he'll see this post too).
We staged a poker run there in 2002, at which time the lake was down like 90' - literally. Despite that, we had a really good time and stayed at a bitchen little bed & breakfast at "The Dam Site"
http://www.damsiteresortnm.com/
Like I said before, the lake was really down but still plenty of water. It was a great change of pace.
If not here, try this thread in the sandbar too. Good luck. :)

carreraboat
01-13-2006, 08:04 AM
hello big lue i would be more than happy to help you guys make reservations and what ever else you may need always like to meet new peeps when are you planning to come out so we can everyone together and show you guys a
good time. there are alot of hot boaters herer in the state
bo young
505-341-1230
ps the lake is surrounded by beach killer camping right on the water

carreraboat
01-13-2006, 08:06 AM
hey luvnlife they change the location of the drags depending on water level tough to show you just one spot

Biglue
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
hello big lue i would be more than happy to help you guys make reservations and what ever else you may need always like to meet new peeps when are you planning to come out so we can everyone together and show you guys a
good time. there are alot of hot boaters herer in the state
bo young
505-341-1230
ps the lake is surrounded by beach killer camping right on the water
Thanks a lot bro. I apprieciate it.
The trip is looking like it's gonna be in June. Still quite a ways away but it is gonna be a fairly big deal. SOme of our Texas friends are drving up and meeting up with some Cali and AZ people. The reason we are looking into it so far in advance is to insure that we can meet at a place where it will suit everyone.
I will definitely give you a call later on in the day. And if you could join us as well......shit the more the merrier.
Thanks again,
Louie.

Greaser
01-13-2006, 09:12 AM
That damn site resort looks like the perfect place for us to meet up!!!!!

carreraboat
01-13-2006, 12:10 PM
dam site is nice they have some new bed and breakfast rooms that overlook the lake and have slips for your boat if a enough of people want to stay there i know the owner and can get some smokin deals on rooms. they have a nice inside/outside bar that usually has a band on the weekends

CandyA$$
01-13-2006, 12:58 PM
dam site is nice they have some new bed and breakfast rooms that overlook the lake and have slips for your boat if a enough of people want to stay there i know the owner and can get some smokin deals on rooms. they have a nice inside/outside bar that usually has a band on the weekends
I already sent them a note asking for info and cost.
Let them know
Oh hey Carrera
I am sending you a pm - K

Greaser
01-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Sweet! That sounds like the place to hold a gathering like this.

carreraboat
01-13-2006, 01:59 PM
They dont reopen till next month as soon as they get back i will call her how many rooms?

Sundance
01-14-2006, 07:50 AM
The water is way up from years passed. They cut the outflow with water still coming in pretty good, I live on the Rio Grande. The Dam Site is good, the only problem is that it is a "healthy walk" down to the lake. Plus that area of the lake is real rocky. The Margs. are killers at the bar as are the nachos. For those who want to keep their boats in the water I would suggest either Lions Beach or Longs Point.
For those who want "civilized" camping there are state camgrounds above Lions Beach, some of the best around. They have water and electric hookups. I stay at the Quail Run campgroud which is one of the state campgrounds, just to the south of Lions Beach, it has 50amp service. Because the lake is still below max. it's about a 1/2 mile to a mile from the lake really flat walk. I usually put my boat in the water when I get there and rent a slip at Marina del Sur for $25 a night. Also there are a lot of good camping beaches up the lake.
We'd love to have you all come on over. I'd also be more than willing to help corridnate things on this end. Any one needing more info or wanting me to help, give me a call. My office # is 505-344-8277.
Sundance :chi:
"Remember to keep your Tails Up"

carreraboat
01-14-2006, 08:38 AM
hey sundance is that the boat you take to the butte in your avatar or do you have another i dont remember seeing it

Sundance
01-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Yep, That's her. Have had her going on three years. I usually only go out in the early AM at the Butte. Gets to crazy later on. Only at the Butte four times last year. My ex-son-in-law was a "dick head" when I took it down with them. My daughter and he are just getting divoriced and she got custody of their Glastron, so I'll be spending more time down there this year.
Also, spend some time up at Navajo. Like to fish the San Juan in the AM and take the hot rod out in the PM. Lot less crowded.
WOuld like to get a big group together in June. Keep me posted.
Sundance, :chi:
"Remember to Keep Your Tail Up"

Biglue
01-16-2006, 02:55 PM
The water is way up from years passed. They cut the outflow with water still coming in pretty good, I live on the Rio Grande. The Dam Site is good, the only problem is that it is a "healthy walk" down to the lake. Plus that area of the lake is real rocky. The Margs. are killers at the bar as are the nachos. For those who want to keep their boats in the water I would suggest either Lions Beach or Longs Point.
For those who want "civilized" camping there are state camgrounds above Lions Beach, some of the best around. They have water and electric hookups. I stay at the Quail Run campgroud which is one of the state campgrounds, just to the south of Lions Beach, it has 50amp service. Because the lake is still below max. it's about a 1/2 mile to a mile from the lake really flat walk. I usually put my boat in the water when I get there and rent a slip at Marina del Sur for $25 a night. Also there are a lot of good camping beaches up the lake.
We'd love to have you all come on over. I'd also be more than willing to help corridnate things on this end. Any one needing more info or wanting me to help, give me a call. My office # is 505-344-8277.
"Remember to keep your Tails Up"
Thanks for the offer and info Sundance. We'd be happy to have you come June.

blowngas
01-17-2006, 08:47 AM
we came out and ran the last race of the year 7 years ago that was held in november----really enjoyed being with the dragboat club there, and meeting some wonderful folks----remember that most everything was done in the mornings as the wind blew in the evening----really can't remember where exactly we stayed, but most of the local racers camped on the beach

Sundance
01-17-2006, 01:34 PM
BG, That's why I usually only go out in the AM. Usually to much wind and to many people in the PM. The races are usually done by noon. The Butte is a great place to play and party. We in NM look forward to all of you coming. Anybody have a date in June?
Remember to Keep Your Tail UP

Devilman
01-18-2006, 04:14 AM
BG, That's why I usually only go out in the AM. Usually to much wind and to many people in the PM. The races are usually done by noon. The Butte is a great place to play and party. We in NM look forward to all of you coming. Anybody have a date in June?
Remember to Keep Your Tail UP
Hey Sundance! So far, it looks as if it's gonna be June 17-24.... :cool:

Sundance
01-18-2006, 07:01 AM
Devil, That works for me. I've got to work on the 17 and the 24 but plan on coming down on the 18th. Let me know what I can do to help. Would be glad to set up party at the Dam Site or anywhere else. Also anybody needing advance info let me know.
Thanks,Sundance :chi:
Remeber to keep your Tail UP

Devilman
01-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Devil, That works for me. I've got to work on the 17 and the 24 but plan on coming down on the 18th. Let me know what I can do to help. Would be glad to set up party at the Dam Site or anywhere else. Also anybody needing advance info let me know.
Remeber to keep your Tail UP
Sure thing. Took long enough to settle on a date. Now just gotta figure out accomodations. Whats the weather like that time of year? Still fairly cool or what? I don't wanna take 2 vehicles out there, so we wouldn't be bringing the camper. Not sure if we'll be tent camping or getting cabins somewhere...

Sundance
01-18-2006, 01:45 PM
DM, HOT! Probably be 90+. The good thing is no humidity. 10%. There's a ton of tent camping on the shore. Outhouses on the beach. Good campgrounds up from the shore,see the earlier post.
Dam Site is a cool little place, but it's up by the dam, about two or three miles from the main part of the lake. As I said the bar and resturant are good.
I camp up in the designated camp areas that has water and electric, 50 amps.
My wife dosen't do tents anymore.
How many people does it look like are coming? Would be glad to try and rope some area off down by the lake. Lots of people do bring their campers and dry camp right on the beach. With the lake down there is pretty flat sandy beaches that are easy to get to. Let me know. I'd be glad to touch base with carreraboat to do what we needed to do.
Remember to keep Your Tail Up

Devilman
01-18-2006, 02:04 PM
DM, HOT! Probably be 90+. The good thing is no humidity. 10%. There's a ton of tent camping on the shore. Outhouses on the beach. Good campgrounds up from the shore,see the earlier post.
Dam Site is a cool little place, but it's up by the dam, about two or three miles from the main part of the lake. As I said the bar and resturant are good.
I camp up in the designated camp areas that has water and electric, 50 amps.
My wife dosen't do tents anymore.
How many people does it look like are coming? Would be glad to try and rope some area off down by the lake. Lots of people do bring their campers and dry camp right on the beach. With the lake down there is pretty flat sandy beaches that are easy to get to. Let me know. I'd be glad to touch base with carreraboat to do what we needed to do.
Remember to keep Your Tail Up
Sounds good to me.
Yeah, we are spoiled to our camper, but don't relish the idea of taking seperate vehicles that far away. If we stay at the campground, we'll use the tent or crash with some peeps that will most likely have their motorhome. Sure wish I could tell you about how many people coming... You know how things go, lot of them are gung-ho till it gets closer, then they start bailing...:D How close is the nearest town? Like to travel light & then buy supplies there, you know?

Sundance
01-18-2006, 07:40 PM
DM, The lake sits next to the community of Elephant Butte. There's several gas stations, resturants, marine shops, motels etc... The community basicly boarders the lake. We get ice, fire wood, beer, right there. About 5 miles away is the town of Truth or Concequences, aka T or C. It's got about everything you need from McDonalds to spas to lumber yards, and whatever. Fuel is usually a little cheaper there. I usually have 4 five gallon cans that I fill up in town and put in the boat when I go out.
Hope this all helps. Don't hesitate to ask anything else you need or might think of. Same goes for anybody else who is coming.
"Remember to Keep your Tail Up"

Sundance
01-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Carreraboat, Bo I just realized who you are. You own Youngs Marineon Edith. I and my daughter stopped in last year. Saw you at the lake acouple of times, but I had already put my boat away for the day. You've got one of the sharpest boats on the lake.
I need to stop down and see you about putting some new electronics on my hot rod.
Thanks, Sundance :chi:

Devilman
01-19-2006, 04:10 AM
DM, The lake sits next to the community of Elephant Butte. There's several gas stations, resturants, marine shops, motels etc... The community basicly boarders the lake. We get ice, fire wood, beer, right there. About 5 miles away is the town of Truth or Concequences, aka T or C. It's got about everything you need from McDonalds to spas to lumber yards, and whatever. Fuel is usually a little cheaper there. I usually have 4 five gallon cans that I fill up in town and put in the boat when I go out.
Hope this all helps. Don't hesitate to ask anything else you need or might think of. Same goes for anybody else who is coming.
"Remember to Keep your Tail Up"
This all very helpful Sundance, appreciate it a bunch. That's good info to have. Guess once we get accomadations squared away, we'll be all set! ( Damn, made it sound almost too easy...:D ) We'll keep ya posted! :cool:

carreraboat
01-19-2006, 07:55 AM
thanks for the complements sundance stop by any time always a cold silver in the ice box

bigblockbill
01-19-2006, 08:31 AM
Cool, I never figured I would be reading any thing about the Butte here on HB. I call that lake home also and can help out, and will try and stop by and say HI when you all come out.

carreraboat
01-19-2006, 08:33 AM
hey big block looks like this just might turn into a hell of a shindig

Sundance
01-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Big Block and Carrera, We need to start our own thread. Big what color is your Eliminator and was it for sale a while ago down at Bo's? Let's all try and start working on somethng for the Butte, that we all call home.
Thanks, Sundance :chi:

CandyA$$
01-20-2006, 06:45 PM
We are hoping to have like 50 people hopelfully, but most likely it will end up being like 20 or so. But either way it will be a great party and vacation time. We will have kids too.
But some do not have campers soo that resort is most likely to accomidate those who do not have campers or motorhomes. I can definitley say I DO NOT DO TENTS :)
Thanks for all the offers guys
Look forward to meeting you guys
Hopefully we will have a sign made by then :p

Biglue
01-21-2006, 10:49 AM
We are hoping to have like 50 people hopelfully, but most likely it will end up being like 20 or so. But either way it will be a great party and vacation time. We will have kids too.
But some do not have campers soo that resort is most likely to accomidate those who do not have campers or motorhomes. I can definitley say I DO NOT DO TENTS :)
Thanks for all the offers guys
Look forward to meeting you guys
Hopefully we will have a sign made by then :p
Hey momma, I'm pretty sure we'll be renting an RV. WOuld you guys consider one or not? I'd like to be able to pull up on a beach and just crib there for a week with my boat in the water the whole time.

CandyA$$
01-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Hey momma, I'm pretty sure we'll be renting an RV. WOuld you guys consider one or not? I'd like to be able to pull up on a beach and just crib there for a week with my boat in the water the whole time.
I may have a Camper by then but who knows :)
But I like having running water and stuff :p

GetWetNM
01-23-2006, 05:56 PM
We go about everyother weekend, just sold my Taylor - I have my Hawiian under repairs (new engine in the works) my friends insurance agency will be happy to participate in a sponsor. The lake is currently in good condition-see her web for lake photos
Camping
Boats can be 4x4 in to beach campsite directly on the water (recommend hotsprings cove-this is also where the races are) You can get motorhomes and rvs in, if you travel south the sand is great-like the beach for you Calis. It isn't SWAMP like. All of the hook up campsites are great especially if you enter in the main entrance. If you can 4x4 theres nothing like camping in an RV with your boat on the shore-ready to launch at 6 am and wake everyone up! Damb jet boaters! LOL
The water in June would be warm and the weather hot 100 with little humidity-the wind can pick up so anchor EVERYTHING! There are NO trees or shade so bring your own and be prepared to anchor with 12" or more! NO KIDDING Bring LOTS of sunscreen and shovels for the kids! Its been very family oriented and for a thong peek - Ive had to look at the web photos.
No glass on the beach-big fine $500+
If you get stuck theres usually help.
If we organize we could get a deal with the EB Inn. The damb site is great-and it's no lie about the Nachos and Margaritas!
See photos attached!-sorry have to cut down working on it.
MG

GetWetNM
01-23-2006, 06:41 PM
) What is a good/best camping ground there? Will be several families.
Yes they can be left on the beach with you at your camp site or in a slip at marina. Wee keep em on the trailer incase the wind picks up at night.
3) Will the lake be smaller boat friendly? (Jet boats etc). Yes Very, in the am its best-like glass......
4) Is there any waterfront camp sites? $8.00 per nigh - Use the sand you can hear the water just feet from your front door, zipper door, or those who dare to sleep on the sand in a bag--PS BEST CAMPING IS FULL MOON_Never seen anything to compare!
5) Is anyone aware of any scheduling conflicts like races and so forth in the month of June? No but the cove is their favorite- there's plenty of room-recommend arriving on THUR or earlier for great spot!

Sundance
01-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Get Wet, That was a great addition of information to the lake. We'd sure like some more people from NM to come on out. I've got an old friend from Phoenix also coming over. Should be a good time.
As I said before I stay up in the Quail Run camp area because they have 50 amp service. But will be glad to come on over.
How long before your Hawiian will be done? Did you see where we'd like to get together in March for a parking lot regatta. Can you make it?
If I don't answer in the next couple of weeks it's because I'm gone. Have meetings in Fla. and California. Will have my computer but not sure if I'll be able to check in. Talk to you all in two weeks.
"Remember To Keep Your Tail Up"

nmboats
01-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Hay Bo, Whats up? I need to go by the shop I finally have some days off. I will give you a call at the shop.
Here is a photo from Labor Day 2005.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6541laborday2005.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6542laborday2005.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/654DSC00126-med.JPG

nmboats
01-24-2006, 12:42 AM
Bo, in case i forget There is a guy from the office looking for a used outboard for a small boat.
Here are some photos from the poker run
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/654cat_running_at_EB.jpg
some guy at the dam site
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/654EB221-med.jpg
Low water level for the poker run
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/654EB241.jpg
These two were taken from two different views of the same boats. Bo you must have been working.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/654EB440.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/654EB443.jpg

Greybeard
01-24-2006, 05:42 AM
Hello all.
Had a few questions about Elephant Butte NM and I figured you Midwest folks would be the best to ask. We are planning a trip with several ISL forum members out to this lake in June. We are making it a place where it will be the closest thing to a mid way point to Texas folks and Cali people. Any info and input will be greatly appreciated.
5) Is anyone aware of any scheduling conflicts like races and so forth in the month of June?
Thanks in advance folks.
Louie.
HRUMPH :yuk:

nmboats
01-24-2006, 10:07 AM
1) Lions Beach, Long Point and Three Sisters are realy good undeveloped camping on the beach. you can get RV's on the beach (lots of sand)
2) Boats can be left in the water overnight, lots of people do it here.
3) Yes the lake is small boat friendly, more than 200 miles of shoreline (the water level is low now though)
4) There are lots of water front camping sites, and there is also full hookup RV sites about 3 min away from the water and ramp at Lions Beach.
5) I dont know of any scheduling conflicts you can ask CARRERABOAT about that?
http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/nmparks/PAGES/PARKS/BUTTE/parkmap.gif

GetWetNM
01-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Sundance, we'll have the Hawiian done in June-you just put a lil fire under him-thanks :) We will attend the PKG LOT Reggatta without the boats-thier stored in EB.
It's be nice to contact the Chamber and park office to get a section or cove reserved in June!!!
T.I.T.S.
signing on for MG
Is thier a Name for the Gathering?? I'll call and see what I can do.
New Mexico Insurance Source will sponsor a spot if need, any co-sponsors?

carreraboat
01-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Dont have a name for it yet kinda looking to make it a anual thing also trying to put together another poker run at the butt.
ok how a name contest for the parking lot reggetta
the winner gets a cold coors light or simular beverage

carreracat257
01-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Sounds like a good time at the butte. Just keep your fingers crossed that we start getting some snow. There is also a great rv park about 1/4 mile from the lake with full hook-ups. That is where the big boats hang out.

full throttle
01-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Hello to all you NM folks. I plan to do at least a couple of Butte trips this year. Looking forward to hooking up.

tpmarine.com
01-28-2006, 10:38 AM
I am also planning several trips the butte this summer and one day I will get carreraboat to hang out at the "old man" lake east of Albuquerque. :eek:

Sundance
01-29-2006, 05:43 PM
Hey Folks that map and info that NMBoats put out was the best. We've got some great placese to run and play. You BIG boats can't forget about us "little guys"., we like to play to.

carreraboat
01-30-2006, 08:00 AM
Hey full throtle you name the date we will be there. My god i wish winter was over if it's gonna be cold at least let it snow!!!!!!

Sundance
01-30-2006, 08:59 AM
You're not the only one looking for winter to be gone! Was up at Navajo week before last, the lake is up to the spillway. Some snow on the San Juans and Sange de Christos but not enough. Keep you fingers crossed.
"Remember to Keep Your Tail up"

GetWetNM
01-31-2006, 04:28 PM
From T.I.T.S.
Ok the dates are June 17-24th Right????
I have three sponsors lined up and working on more. Sundance we need to get together and maybe combine planning efforts? Lafonts just purchased the B&B Both Marinas and the Damsite-have a call into them now. We have an events coordinator at our disposal and all events/contests etc will be free for boaters.
I'd like a prize or two from some sponsors, or at least a margarita-o.k. two-it's tax season after all.... :rollside:
We were going to let others know in NV to join us-it be bitchen to see the boats lined up in a cove 3x larger than at the AVI?? We miss the classic beach bash site so we decided to design our own for event notification-to make it simple and free. Check it out in about a month: www.nmclassicboatbash.com
How about some contest ideas?? Its you guys who would win-right now GETWETNM has a sand boat :)-he'll kill me for that!
wouldnt let me pull it around with my ski to see if it floats?? :boxed:

h2oboy
01-31-2006, 07:40 PM
Use to spend a lot of time at the butte before it went low, but I am sure you can count me in for the weekend... I will drag over there with a few others from AZ. Love that lake!!!

bajabri
01-31-2006, 09:12 PM
I am also looking forward to this gathering as I have been following the thread...I was a July 4th regular back in the late nineties, best fireworks I have ever seen...looking forward to returning this year.
Pray for some snow as the lake still looks low compared to the last time I was there.

bigblockbill
02-01-2006, 07:17 AM
The fire works at the Butte over the 4th are still great, but not quite like they used to be in the early 90's when american marine was putting the show on. Rumor has it that the bass boat guys all complained to american marine and said they would stop spending their money there because the fire works were attracting too many people and fishing was suffering. What a crock.

bajabri
02-02-2006, 05:15 PM
I guess all the $50 lures and $500 fishing poles add up...shame, the shows on rattlesnake island were awesome...
One year there was a houseboat with a live band on it show up after the show...the cops shut that down quick :cry: ...good times

Sundance
02-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Get Wet, Just back in town for the day and saw your post. I do a lot of RV Business with Rocky MT. RV, will try and get something from them. Also, if anyone is a golfer I can get some prizes there, it's my business.
Will try and think of a few more things this week, will be traveling out in West Texas and have plenty of time to think. Call me and let me know how to get in touch with you. My # is in ABQ 344-8277

CandyA$$
02-06-2006, 12:52 PM
From T.I.T.S.
Ok the dates are June 17-24th Right????
I have three sponsors lined up and working on more. Sundance we need to get together and maybe combine planning efforts? Lafonts just purchased the B&B Both Marinas and the Damsite-have a call into them now. We have an events coordinator at our disposal and all events/contests etc will be free for boaters.
I'd like a prize or two from some sponsors, or at least a margarita-o.k. two-it's tax season after all.... :rollside:
We were going to let others know in NV to join us-it be bitchen to see the boats lined up in a cove 3x larger than at the AVI?? We miss the classic beach bash site so we decided to design our own for event notification-to make it simple and free. Check it out in about a month: www.nmclassicboatbash.com
How about some contest ideas?? Its you guys who would win-right now GETWETNM has a sand boat :)-he'll kill me for that!
wouldnt let me pull it around with my ski to see if it floats?? :boxed:
Sounds like this will be a big turn out
Just remember we started this :p
I am not sure what you mean by sponsors? Cause I have a small company & could put up some raffle prizes but it may only be good for CA people :cool: But hell lets have fun

Biglue
02-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Let us know what you guys have in mind as far as raffle prizes. We should name this gathering. Anyone have any ideas?

carreraboat
02-06-2006, 01:07 PM
do the butt

CandyA$$
02-06-2006, 03:07 PM
do the butt
OH MY :rollside: :rollside:
I thought Lue would of put the name up
Southwest 2006

Biglue
02-06-2006, 03:25 PM
do the butt
LMAO. Hey man that is pretty good.
HOw about Doing it in the Butte 2006?

swdba
02-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Hello....
You all are asking about the Elephant Butte Lake....The lake is down right now, but still currently the second largest lake in NM. There is plenty of water, and we have racing 6 times a year. We are going to have a Test n Tune weekend the weekend of April 22nd, and then every month we race, wherever the water is. The state park sponsors us to the point of allowing us to race wherever we can find adequate water. We have classes from daycruisers to PWC's, and have even been approached about holding k boat races, which we could do. Anyone wanting more information then is here can call me, I am Susan, at 505-263-6568. I have been with SWDBA, (South West Dragboat Association) since 1999, and have held office of Treasurer since then. We have wonderful family oriented race weekends with other events like Poker Runs, Horse Shoe Tournaments, themed BBQ's....actually we have BBQ's at each race, on Saturday nights at 6:30 pm. The cost for this is a 5.00 donation, and includes your meal, and a beverage. Periodically we have themed BBQ's, like in May, the theme will be "Mardi Gras" and we will have Cajun food, like dirty rice, etoufee, jambalaya, Lousiana Bourbon Bread Pudding, and beads for the men...the women have to earn them! We will also have Hurricanes, virgin, of course.... We love to see new people out here, and have made a lot of new friends just by them coming to see how we do it at the Butte! We have 1 day rates, as well as rates for memberships, and entry fees. Call with any questions! or Email at swdba@yahoo.com

swdba
02-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Also, sorry forgot to tell you all, we issue trophies, and high points jackets at the end of our year.
Also, the Test n Tune Weekend, we will have several member, and many boat mechanics who are there simply to help any member out with any problems they may have. Come, bring your boat, and get some tips while yer at it! The races in June are the 13th and 14th, and Probably will be at Dirt Dam, and any local can direct you, or go to the state park entry gate and they will direct you. here are the rest of the race dates, just in case anyone wants them. july 8, 9th....august 19, 20th....september 9, and 10th....and October 7, and 8th...
OH!! Also, the September race we coordinate with the Balloon Regatta, and so, anyone wanting to assist with the balloon regatta, would be welcomed. We had about 25 balloons last year and had a ball! We had a band and a bar on the beach, and raffles, we always have a DJ.... come see!

Sundance
02-06-2006, 06:52 PM
SWDBA, Good finally hearing from you all. Wondered how to get ahold of you. Seen you all run but have never come over. Do you all have a web site?

full throttle
02-07-2006, 03:59 AM
I'd like to check those races out.

bigblockbill
02-07-2006, 07:15 AM
Rot Row, Susan (SWDBA) is on the boards, watch out now :)
Good to see you found your way over here.
Bill

bakerjet
02-07-2006, 05:09 PM
coool! just caught up with the thread,i used to spend alot of time there but not lately. Hot Springs landing is the hook up plenty of sand and a place to launch the boat :D

carreraboat
02-08-2006, 07:23 AM
Now if we could just get the gov. to stop letting water out it would return to the golden days

carreraboat
02-08-2006, 07:24 AM
also every one pray for snow. I have customers already going down this weekend supposed to be in the 70's already

tpmarine.com
02-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Bo, there is plenty of water at Conchas Lake... :)

carreraboat
02-08-2006, 07:45 AM
you need to read my reply on nm boaters

carreraboat
02-08-2006, 07:46 AM
conchas sponchas

swdba
02-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Hello all.
Thanks in advance folks.
Louie.
Louie...
1. Hot Springs is a wonderful pl;ace to camp, lots of beach, good launching areas, etc..
2. Boats can be left in the water overnight, but only with good ground tackle, the lake gets some decent wind sometimes.
3. The locals are friendly with all boats, as are the rangers, etc....they are pleased to have everyone out there.
4. There are TONS of waterfront camp sites.
5. IHBA has races, 3,4, and 10, 11, and 24, 25....we have ours the 24th and 25th.,...we are going to have a Poker Run that same weekend. Email me with questions, or call me at 505-263-6568, email is swdba@yahoo.com
Gimme a call! we have fun out there! We would love to see you all!
also new site is up..... www.swdba.org and I am susan....so susan@swdba.org will reach me....there is also a contact page on the site....site also lists my cell number...lemme know what I can do for you...

swdba
02-09-2006, 10:52 AM
coool! just caught up with the thread,i used to spend alot of time there but not lately. Hot Springs landing is the hook up plenty of sand and a place to launch the boat :D
Looks like a pretty boat...you oughtta come play with us at the Butte...we have lots of classes, and a ton of fun!
swdba@yahoo.com
505-263-6568

Sundance
02-09-2006, 06:40 PM
SWDBA, What about old farts like me. Have seen you guys lots of time but never came over. Always loved watching and looking for others wtih liquid hot rods. Will try and make it down. Unfortunately the next three months are my busiest time of the year for business.
Will try and contact you all when I get home this weekend.

Biglue
02-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks for all the advice so far ladies and gents.
I have another question for you all. I was planning on renting an RV and towing my boat out there. I have yet to find a place that will allow me to tow 4000 LBS+. Could you guys recommend an RV place that I can rent an RV from there locally?
Thanks again.
louie.

GetWetNM
02-14-2006, 08:18 PM
In conjunction with you dates of June 17th through 24th we are holding the 1st Annual New Mexico Classic Boat Rally June 23rd & 24th 2006
On Friday and Saturday we have a sponsored Classic Boat Rally. It will include a sand boat contest (for those who cant get wet) :*) and for those dripping!
Anyone who would like to sponsor the even, donate prize giveaways, display flyers at thier buisness, and participate please email us with details on how you can help your address and phone: nmclassicboats@comcast.net. We will send or deliver flyers by 4/1/2006. We will pick up donations to avoid shipping for those locally.
We will have T-shirts, and give aways and raffle items!
A Calendar Photo shoot will take place and all sponsors will be listed! Get your boat ready for our FIRST CLASSIC BOAT CALENDAR!
All events are free for boaters/participants!
Website and Flyer completion April 1st 2006!
Welcome New Mexico Boater surrounding States to our diamond in the desert!
Dust it off, get it wet and make some noise!
If you want more info pleeez email me at nmclassicboats@comcast.net

GetWetNM
02-14-2006, 08:21 PM
sorry about that!

swdba
02-15-2006, 12:40 PM
I'd like to check those races out.
Hey, Y'all! I put the site up, so if you have any questions about race dates, classes, the way it works, etc.....check out the site! www.swdba.org ...will be adding more as it goes, pix maybe this week, and more info on the poker run coming in June....will be putting a registration form online as well...

swdba
02-15-2006, 12:49 PM
also remember, we will be having drag boat races and a poker run that weekend, so anyone wanting to participate in those things, call me...susan 505-263-6568....check out the site.... www.swdba.org .....or email me.... susan@swdba.org

bakerjet
02-19-2006, 08:47 AM
also every one pray for snow. I have customers already going down this weekend supposed to be in the 70's already
i was up at creed colo. last week thats where the rio grande starts it's barely moving and very little snow in the mountains it's gonna be a dry spring :cry:

bigblockbill
02-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Yep things are going to be ugly again late this year. The lake has been doing ok right now only becuase the dam is totaly shut off. I sure wish we could get something falling from the sky.

22tunnel
02-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Ute lake is full just got back from there

h2oboy
02-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Ute lake is full just got back from there
Ute used to be the big secret... do not tell too many people.... I love that place... No better place to just hang out and have a few cold ones....

bigblockbill
02-22-2006, 07:48 PM
UTE... NMs great secret... not any more!! :)
Ohh not to worry we have know about it for years but can not seem to drag ourselves down there.

22tunnel
02-22-2006, 09:05 PM
OOOOps