PDA

View Full Version : Uninforced Laws

burtandnancy
08-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Of all the rules, regulations, laws and ordinances that are not enforced by law, my favorite is the 55 mph speed limit imposed on trucks and vehicles pulling trailers on CAL freeways. If that group of vehicles were to actually be slowed to 55 our freeways would be even more gridlocked than they are now. I think CHP is giving us a pass. Anyone in LE know for sure? Isn't it great when you get to the state line everyone drives nearly the same speed...

RitcheyRch
08-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Believe they let you slide about 5 mph either way. Although do get passed up by those huge 18 wheelers on the 14 freeway everyday and I am going 75.

lawbreaker2
08-08-2006, 09:31 AM
I feel for you on that one, here in the buckeye, it's 55 for big trucks, but what ever you want with a pickup and trailer, :rolleyes: But I was in cali last fall and I don't recall what hwy, but I needed to get to long beach before 6pm, and was in the car pool lane doing 75-80 with my 28ft race trailer, hey I had for in the cab. :D And I had to go. :rollside: It did'nt say anything about "NO pickup trucks with trailer" :D

RitcheyRch
08-08-2006, 09:43 AM
As odd as it sounds I have been told by the CHP that you can tow a trailer in the carpool lane as long as there are 2 or more people in the tow vehicle.
I feel for you on that one, here in the buckeye, it's 55 for big trucks, but what ever you want with a pickup and trailer, :rolleyes: But I was in cali last fall and I don't recall what hwy, but I needed to get to long beach before 6pm, and was in the car pool lane doing 75-80 with my 28ft race trailer, hey I had for in the cab. :D And I had to go. :rollside: It did'nt say anything about "NO pickup trucks with trailer" :D

YeLLowBoaT
08-08-2006, 09:51 AM
I must say It really ticks me off when I see ppl speed while towing. There is a reason why the speed limit is 55 while towing-- IT TAKES LONGER FOR YOU TOO STOP There is also the other things that can happen at higher speeds, as well as, bad things that can happen when you have to stop. I mean 60 is one thing, but the mofo that are in the left hand lane going 80 mph+++ towing a 5000lb boat just rubs me the wrong way. IMO if your going that fast towing, it should be instant arrest and impound. Your taking the lifes of other ppl in your hands. Every time I see some jack a$$ doing something like that I call the CHP( I have them on speed dail... :) )and report them.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-08-2006, 10:02 AM
As odd as it sounds I have been told by the CHP that you can tow a trailer in the carpool lane as long as there are 2 or more people in the tow vehicle.
That would seem to contradict the laws requiring towed vehicles to not be towed in excess of 55 MPH and also the fact that the trailer would then have to travel in the non-right hand lanes in order to get to the carpool lane which goes against the requirement of slower vehicles having to stay in the right hand lanes.

HBjet
08-08-2006, 11:44 AM
If you want to run faster then 55 just watch the Big Rigs. If they are staying around the speed limit then you should too because there is a CHP near by. If they are running 65+ then you should be in the clear.
HBjet

HMF'er
08-08-2006, 11:51 AM
You either misunderstood or got some bad 411.

RitcheyRch
08-08-2006, 11:55 AM
I asked him a few times for clarification and he still said was acceptable. So, who knows.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-08-2006, 11:59 AM
What about towing in Fasttrack?? I called and they said no but I see it all the time???

RitcheyRch
08-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Guess is ok as long as you dont get caught....LMAO
What about towing in Fasttrack?? I called and they said no but I see it all the time???

Sherpa
08-08-2006, 12:28 PM
this is oh so wrong................ trust me, don't attempt it........ I did it like
17 years ago with my girlfreind and her mom in the truck.... got pulled over,
I knew why, and he looked inside the truck, saw this was not a kid-dealio,
and gave me a warning.........
PS: brotherinlaw got popped by CHP in redding about 1mo ago towing his
bassboat as he passed me doing 60, he was 70, and pulling away. CHPy
was parked under an overpass in the white camaro...
got wrote for 65 while towing.
--SHerpa

Dave C
08-08-2006, 12:41 PM
I disagree.... two of my buddies got a combination vehicle speeding tickets recently.
maybe the CHP is just busy with other jackasses.....
I wouldn't push it too much.
I slowed down like a mutha... :rollside:

HMF'er
08-08-2006, 12:44 PM
I asked him a few times for clarification and he still said was acceptable. So, who knows.
Must have been a rookie.

djunkie
08-08-2006, 12:55 PM
55 towing a trailer and restricted to the 2 right lanes only.
No carpool lane towing
No towing in the fast track.
All in Ca. by the way
Don't beleive what anyone else tells you. Just cause they might have got away with it doesn't mean you will.

MrsSigEpMock
08-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Actually.... I know this because this is one of my pet peevs so I looked it up while I was at the DMV. It says that you "usually cannot tow in a CarPool Lane." but it nowhere said that you can't. (stereo instructions) I'd like to read the VC on that one. I swear Chris and I are going to make a sign that says, "YOU CAN'T TOW IN THAT LANE DUMBASS!!!"
I see people towing in illegal lanes almost everyday.
Stupidity is bliss I guess :rolleyes:

RitcheyRch
08-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Agree, not worth the risk of towing in the carpool lane. I did think was odd that he said was acceptable since you need to cross numerous lanes of traffic that you not to be in while towing.

cxr133
08-08-2006, 01:13 PM
Actually.... I know this because this is one of my pet peevs so I looked it up while I was at the DMV. It says that you "usually cannot tow in a CarPool Lane." but it nowhere said that you can't. (stereo instructions) I'd like to read the VC on that one. I swear Chris and I are going to make a sign that says, "YOU CAN'T TOW IN THAT LANE DUMBASS!!!"
I see people towing in illegal lanes almost everyday.
Stupidity is bliss I guess :rolleyes:
I did not know the answer to this one time on the way to Mohave so we called the CHP office....
IT IS ILLEGAL to tow a trailer in the carpool lane

MrsSigEpMock
08-08-2006, 01:15 PM
I did not know the answer to this one time on the way to Mohave so we called the CHP office....
IT IS ILLEGAL to tow a trailer in the carpool lane
Good Field Work cxr. Did you ask them why they never enforce it? :p

cxr133
08-08-2006, 01:20 PM
And for those of you that run 15/ 40 I've probably got you on video or digital waving at me with your middle finger as you've gone by! lol
Rio
I bet those of us that you dont have... you will in the next few weeks

burtandnancy
08-08-2006, 01:22 PM
CLARIFICATION; What I'm referring to is out on the road, out of town on the 10, 15, 40 and so forth, not in town, not in car pools, not Fastrak, those are obvious. If the 55 MPH were enforced on our 2 lane wide interstates, the back ups would make a trip to the river unbearable. Every trip would be like stacking up behind two truck racing up Chiriaco Summet at 18 MPH. Its these situations where I feel the CHP is being generous (if thats the right term)...

MrsSigEpMock
08-08-2006, 01:24 PM
There are a lot of states that don't single out truck/trailer, like AZ, using the LHC crowd example. AZ speed limit is 75 for all. Is their accident rate any higher? If not, is it due to there population? I think towing should at least be 60. especially on ways that are 70. I think a 15mph difference is dangerous, especially when 70 is more like 78.

burtandnancy
08-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Rio, thanks for the support. Why don't your tell us how you really feel about the Demo's in Sacramento.
My personal pet peeve is the mini-Nissan pulling a trailerfull of sea-doo's down the left lane between Barstow and Baker at about 85...

Havasu_Dreamin
08-08-2006, 01:32 PM
There are a lot of states that don't single out truck/trailer, like AZ, using the LHC crowd example. AZ speed limit is 75 for all.
I agree, it makes no sense. Come barreling down the 40 East at 60 with a trailer and if you pass a CHP sitting at Park Moabi Road he can pop you. Yet not much more than 1 mile away you can speed up to 75 on the SAME FREAKING FREEWAY! Uhhh, excuse me, LAME.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-08-2006, 01:34 PM
My personal pet peeve <snip>
Mine is the mental midgets in the fast lane that are getting passed on the right and they won't move over! The left lane is for passing people!

burtandnancy
08-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Havasu D, in my other life, I would have used (1) my high beams (2) my horn and (3) my front bumper. Not PC in todays world. I know that mental giant you are referring too...

little rowe boat
08-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Of all the rules, regulations, laws and ordinances that are not enforced by law, my favorite is the 55 mph speed limit imposed on trucks and vehicles pulling trailers on CAL freeways. If that group of vehicles were to actually be slowed to 55 our freeways would be even more gridlocked than they are now. I think CHP is giving us a pass. Anyone in LE know for sure? Isn't it great when you get to the state line everyone drives nearly the same speed...
The last time I was pulled over was on I 10 pulling our boat to Havasu. The CHP that pulled me over said he had me on Radar at 57 mph. I do believe that law is enforced in Cali.

blown65
08-08-2006, 03:04 PM
I do about 60-62 in nor cal. They do inforce it though, I got pulled over while doing 60 or so. CHP informs me im doing 75 which was BS, he had to be hitting something else. Anyhow, long story short he let me off with a warning to slow down. (With his attitude I know he had doubts that I was actually going that fast) He tried to tell me that all three of the radar signs were not accurate even though all three read the exact same MPH to my Edge/Attitude speed display. (I used those same 3 STATE HWY signs to calibrate it.)
I was pretty hot for a bit cause he was being a pretty big ass about it. What sucks is I purposely left my radar at home cause it just wasnt worth speeding to get a ticket to save a little time :rolleyes: .
Anyhow, ya they will get ya. heh

RitcheyRch
08-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Never claimed it was true about towing in the carpool lane. Only quoted what was told to me by the local CHP officer in my old neighborhood. Trust me on the 18 wheelers going over 75 on the 14 freeway between SCV and Palmdale. I drive that commute each day and am getting passed. I never said was the majority of the 18 wheelers but there are too many to count when I am on that freeway. I am on the 14 freeway between 4-4:30 am going to work and 2-3:15 PM coming home.
Glad someone called CHP and verified what I already figured wasnt right about towing in the carpool lane. As I said earlier I didnt think was legal since have to break a few laws to get into the carpool lane in the beginning.
"As odd as it sounds I have been told by the CHP that you can tow a trailer in the carpool lane as long as there are 2 or more people in the tow vehicle."
Ritchie Rich, so far you are 2 for 2, both posts are bull*hit! There are a few but not many 18's that are blowing off 75 mph on 14 as a rule. A few exceptions but not many. Violations ON A COMMERCIAL LICENSE CAN"T BE VOIDED BY TRAFFIC SCHOOL! As for trailers in the carpool lane or the fastrac lanes-> NOT LEGAL EVER! Wanna guess how many violations that would be?
If you're still gonna push BS as fact on here then get the officers name, badge number and supervisors name (as we'll definately be speaking to him also). Your misinformation could get one of our members a ticket!
Burt, good topic and one that hits close to home. I agree 100% and the bottom line is that California's laws are so out of date it's not even funny. They may have had some basis in truth about 40 to 50 years ago when vehicles were not up to the task and tires, brakes, etc., were very crude compared to todays standards, especially when referring to the Big Rigs.
Not trying to rag on anyone or start any big topic of debate BUT there are very few of the peeps hereabouts that are qualified or competent enough to be pulling their boats at 70 mph and above. I don't give a rat's ass if you did just put a new tail light on your trailer it still doesn't make you capable of reacting quickly enough and in the correct manner to avoid an accident when the big truck that you're tailgating throws a cap through your windshield coming down into Stateline Nevada at 4 am.
Just try and remember a couple of simple facts. Comparing personal vehicles and tractor/trailers is to compare apples and oranges. One was designed to pull tailers and haul a lot of weight and the other was just an afterthought for the convenience of the consumer. Don't let your ego get your family killed just cus your hero was good ol' #3.
Burt, if you were leading up to leveling the speed limit on the outlying freeways for all vehicles->GOOD LUCK ! The only reason the car speed limit iis where it is-is cuz the fed gov't stepped in. This piece of sh*t state won't repeal any law whether it's proven assinine or whatever. Just look at the assault weapon ban! The only way to get any change is to get rid of the democrats that are holding this state for ransome and that ain't gonna happen with all of the lowlife welfare grabbin slime that has infiltrated this berg. They are lookin for something for nothing and the pols are lookin at the revenue and CONTROL factor.
LOL, that's right Randy ! I wouldn't let my lil buddy get a ticket. LOL. And for those of you that run 15/ 40 I've probably got you on video or digital waving at me with your middle finger as you've gone by! lol
Rio

Sleeper
08-08-2006, 03:18 PM
55 towing a trailer and restricted to the 2 right lanes only.
No carpool lane towing
No towing in the fast track.
All in Ca. by the way
Don't beleive what anyone else tells you. Just cause they might have got away with it doesn't mean you will.
In Nor Cal some carpool lanes are the far right lane (Santa Clara Milpitas, etc.). Can you tow in that lane then?

Huckleberry
08-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Negative amigo. No can do. Calif law states that all vehicles towing MUST stay in the left two lanes. There is no provisin for towing in HOV lanes. If ya tow in the carpool or Fastrak lanes you're rolling the dice and will get an invitation to traffic court fo sho.
CVC 21655 (b) Any trailer bus, except as provided in Section 21655.5, and
any vehicle subject to the provisions of Section 22406 shall be
driven in the lane or lanes designated pursuant to subdivision (a)
whenever signs have been erected giving notice of that designation.
Except as otherwise provided in this subdivision, when a specific
lane or lanes have not been so designated, any of those vehicles
shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as
practicable to the right edge or curb. If, however, a specific lane
or lanes have not been designated on a divided highway having four or
more clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, any of those
vehicles may also be driven in the lane to the immediate left of
that right-hand lane, unless otherwise prohibited under this code.
When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same
direction, the driver shall use either the designated lane, the lane
to the immediate left of the right-hand lane, or the right-hand lane
for traffic as permitted under this code.
This subdivision does not apply to a driver who is preparing for a
left- or right-hand turn or who is entering into or exiting from a
highway or to a driver who must necessarily drive in a lane other
than the right-hand lane to continue on his or her intended route.

RitcheyRch
08-09-2006, 04:38 AM
I know. Was just saying what was told by a CHP officer that lived in my old neighborhood. I think you meant to type that CA law states that all towing must stay in the right two lanes.
Negative amigo. No can do. Calif law states that all vehicles towing MUST stay in the left two lanes. There is no provisin for towing in HOV lanes. If ya tow in the carpool or Fastrak lanes you're rolling the dice and will get an invitation to traffic court fo sho.
CVC 21655 (b) Any trailer bus, except as provided in Section 21655.5, and
any vehicle subject to the provisions of Section 22406 shall be
driven in the lane or lanes designated pursuant to subdivision (a)
whenever signs have been erected giving notice of that designation.
Except as otherwise provided in this subdivision, when a specific
lane or lanes have not been so designated, any of those vehicles
shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as
practicable to the right edge or curb. If, however, a specific lane
or lanes have not been designated on a divided highway having four or
more clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, any of those
vehicles may also be driven in the lane to the immediate left of
that right-hand lane, unless otherwise prohibited under this code.
When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same
direction, the driver shall use either the designated lane, the lane
to the immediate left of the right-hand lane, or the right-hand lane
for traffic as permitted under this code.
This subdivision does not apply to a driver who is preparing for a
left- or right-hand turn or who is entering into or exiting from a
highway or to a driver who must necessarily drive in a lane other
than the right-hand lane to continue on his or her intended route.

catman-do
08-09-2006, 07:41 AM
A quick couple things. Most of us are thinking of the HOV lanes here in SO CAL. In other parts of the states there are highways that have HOV's on the right in which somone may tow in. The HOV lane doesnt state that a person MUST do 65.... They can to 55.
Also on a highway in which there are a total of four lanes or more a person can tow in the #3 and 4 lanes, and enter the #2 lane to pass 1 vehichle at a time. What gets me is when people stay in the # 1 or 2 lanes like they own it. I tow my boat, fifth wheel, and race trailer all at 65, havent had any real problems (YET)