PDA

View Full Version : Question for you boat Gurus?????

Aqua Boogie1
08-08-2006, 02:27 PM
What is the life of a fiberglass boat that is not stored in the water???? For example, a jetboat that has been taken care of????? How long would the fiberglass last????

Aqua Boogie1
08-08-2006, 03:06 PM
I take it as something that is unknown.............

Run_em_Hard
08-08-2006, 03:08 PM
I will take a guess but don't quote me on this one......A long ass time. :p :p

James'SS-24
08-08-2006, 03:22 PM
I will take a guess but don't quote me on this one......A long ass time. :p :p
I bet it's even longer! :rollside:

LAFD
08-08-2006, 03:26 PM
I bet it's even longer! :rollside:
a really long ass time?

uvindex
08-08-2006, 03:29 PM
What is the life of a fiberglass boat that is not stored in the water???? For example, a jetboat that has been taken care of????? How long would the fiberglass last????I'm not calling myself a boat guru. :)
There are other factors besides being stored out of water. A fiberglass boat that was never used and stored in an indoor climate-controlled environment should last nearly indefinitely (fiberglass doesn't rot or otherwise decompose over time by itself -- it needs external factors (sun, stress, water intrusion, etc.) to do that).
The biggest external factors that can shorten a fiberglass boat's life are UV (ultraviolet) and stress (bending). So, even if the boat is stored indoors and washed and waxed every week if it's run to hell when used its life will be shorter. The original design and construction, of course, affect how well it will tolerate stress when used over time. Water intrusion (through tiny stress cracks) can also do bad things to an otherwise well-maintained hull. Use of wood in the hull is another big variable, of course.
Hope this helps. :)

SmokinLowriderSS
08-08-2006, 03:41 PM
The 'glass will last a lot longer than the wood if the boat gets use, wild or mild. As noted before, 'glass is rot-free. The only thing you can do is break it.

centerhill condor
08-08-2006, 04:59 PM
my neighbor's drinkin' buddy has a 50's era fiberglass boat and it doesn't look a day over 30! You see really old boats all the time on the 'net and fiberclassics.com. I see old boats from the 60s all the time some have weeds some have new motors

phebus
08-08-2006, 06:13 PM
I beleive UV breaks down resin/fiberglass, so if stored out of the sun, it should last until hell freezes over.

SOCALDETAIL1
08-08-2006, 10:23 PM
I beleive UV breaks down resin/fiberglass, so if stored out of the sun, it should last until hell freezes over.
True we detail 2 year old boats that sit under the sun in the harbors all year long and the gel is so dried out you can smell it, Then we detail 15 year lake boats all original that are covered and look showroom condition. So it's all in how you take care of them.

lewiville
08-08-2006, 10:29 PM
You see really old boats all the time on the 'net and fiberclassics.com. [/QUOTE]
I looked that sight up and it was about german rc planes?

DelawareDave
08-09-2006, 03:47 AM
http://fiberglassics.com/

Aqua Boogie1
08-09-2006, 07:54 AM
Thanks guys...................

Water Romper
08-09-2006, 11:22 AM
No “guru” here either but just for “stats’..I purchased my boat new in 1990 (almost 17 years ago) Boat has been garaged and/or covered unless used. Other than dock scratches and “road chips” the gel coat looks almost as good as the day I have bought it.
I agree with the other posts here that it’s all about care and how and where you store your boat.
I do feel that the type of glass that is used plays a big part too, the “chopper” glass seems to have a life of about one year, until it’s time to by another boat from the fair. :crossx:

Aqua Boogie1
08-09-2006, 11:34 AM
No “guru” here either but just for “stats’..I purchased my boat new in 1990 (almost 17 years ago) Boat has been garaged and/or covered unless used. Other than dock scratches and “road chips” the gel coat looks almost as good as the day I have bought it.
I agree with the other posts here that it’s all about care and how and where you store your boat.
I do feel that the type of glass that is used plays a big part too, the “chopper” glass seems to have a life of about one year, until it’s time to by another boat from the fair. :crossx:
Got it....................Thanxs!!