PDA

View Full Version : XM antenna mounting

bohica
08-08-2006, 03:03 PM
How are you mounting your XM antenna. Mine is inside the dash area behind the head unit. I'm tired of not getting a clear signal and always cutting out. If the boat is facing a particular direction it works fine, but turn a different direction and it goes out.

Buster
08-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Mine is behind the glove box sitting ontop of the head unit (Magnetic). Works perfectly. I have never lost signal anywhere at Havi.. I heard the the Antenna's work better when they are sitting on some sort of metal surface. Remember, they were designed for cars, not boats.

HYPNAUTIC
08-10-2006, 11:22 PM
antenna has long lead so i can attach it to the top rail on the boat with a small piece of velcro then remove it when not in use or storage.

Holland
08-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Mine is on top of the head unit also... works great. The only time it cuts out is when i am tappin the wife over the top of it... then I lose signal till I pick up her right leg a little higher.

Bradman
08-17-2006, 02:32 PM
That's funny stuff there!!! What happens when you move her left leg? Car Toyz in Havasu installed mine on my old boat as well as my new boat. On our new boat it is somewhere under one of our storage areas. I have never lost my signal unless I drive under the London Bridge.
http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/x1pc_jqddVOWRkT6M2_MsS8FT91QwvndYLota9_Isr9MzbVfd6 TLpbnsKzRBQ5KWo9YdXp-meYTr0tDPtu_rQlg-nE3Pu-IOObGp_J6DPB0ODxV1GY0LIxCmU9VxhVAVIocabJlvupkpMc

Dub C
08-18-2006, 04:56 PM
the antenna wants 1-2 square feet of grounded metal and aiming north/northeast is ideal for Siruis but not sure for XM. I put sirius in a golf cart and it was intermittent until I did this and it worked great.

Holland
08-18-2006, 07:22 PM
That's funny stuff there!!! What happens when you move her left leg? Car Toyz in Havasu installed mine on my old boat as well as my new boat. On our new boat it is somewhere under one of our storage areas. I have never lost my signal unless I drive under the London Bridge.
http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/x1pc_jqddVOWRkT6M2_MsS8FT91QwvndYLota9_Isr9MzbVfd6 TLpbnsKzRBQ5KWo9YdXp-meYTr0tDPtu_rQlg-nE3Pu-IOObGp_J6DPB0ODxV1GY0LIxCmU9VxhVAVIocabJlvupkpMc
Left Leg???? she falls out of the boat... :p :p :p hahahahahahahaah
The one thing about the antennas, dont drill holes till you have to.... TRY IT FIRST!!!! The radio case is my ground plane!

ROZ
08-21-2006, 08:36 AM
If it's behind the headunit, you'll loose signal when the metal frame is in the way of the signal... This is what's happening. ANything metallic will hinder or completely block the signal... Even metallic paint may do this.. Since it's magnetic, just stick it onto the top of the headunit's can. You shouldn't have a problem :)