PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for buying a boat

funkybunchjr
08-08-2006, 05:00 PM
5 years ago I got a 76 Taylor SS, back then I didn't know much about boats (it was my first one). It ended up being a pile of $hit, the port side stringer was cracked the pump was trash and so on. The next season I sold the boat. I have gone for a few rides in nice jet boats sense then, and I would really like another one. A good friend has a very nice 79 SJ for sale, but I don't know if that's what I want. What would you guys look for in a used jet (brand, hull, pump, ect). I would like something that rides somewhat smooth, that still handles speed well too. I'm looking to spend about 70% of time screwing around the lake and 30% drag racing. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help!
Funky

bergen
08-08-2006, 05:04 PM
just remember what b o a t means = brake -out-another-thousand

funkybunchjr
08-08-2006, 05:19 PM
I learned that the hard way, I know now that most of them are money pits.

STRETCH
08-08-2006, 05:29 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/STRETCH-SJ/2f0a53f3.jpg
The deeper hulls, you may well know, give excellent rides and handle rougher water better than the shallow ones. The Taylor LP (white boat in forground, 1997 model) is probably the best of both, deeper V and can handle the horses you add to the fire. If you get a chance to ride in one, you'll be pleasantly suprised. That and the fact that Taylors are pretty common in the midwest, you might find a decent one for a good deal. Taylor sold the mold in the eighties and the LP has been made as recently as 03 by Wyatt Boats. Saw an 02 model in OKC for sale that was immaculate...15000 practically brand new. If the LP doesn't suite you, the SC (orange boat in pic) will fit the bill your looking for as well.
Lotsa mini daycruisers out there as well that I would love to have, Sanger, Hawiians and the likes, would make great cruisers that haul A$$.
just my 2 cents

atxwrangler
08-08-2006, 05:36 PM
i'm in texas also,you need to check out texas***boats.com .i personally like the rogers hulls,but,there are a lot of good boats out there.how much are you willing to spend???? we can find you something nice!do you want a family boat,race boat,ski boat,cruiser or what? here is a good one!!! http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121937&highlight=rogers

funkybunchjr
08-08-2006, 05:48 PM
I would like to spend less than 10k. I'm looking for a family/race ride. I would like something that can carry me and 1-2 other people around the lake, but can still do 80-90 when I stomp a hole in the floor.

atxwrangler
08-08-2006, 05:52 PM
you will have to find a good deal to get a 90mph jet for 10,000. it's not impossible,but, you have your work cut out for you.you might be looking for a kustom craft tx19, or a youngblood hull!they are fast,roomy,and very lakable!

atxwrangler
08-08-2006, 05:59 PM
this boat was for sale in east eexas for 5,000 less motor,pm me if you want the guy's number! http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2686DSC00991.JPG

STRETCH
08-08-2006, 06:00 PM
you will have to find a good deal to get a 90mph jet for 10,000. it's not impossible,but, you have your work cut out for you.you might be looking for a kustom craft tx19, or a youngblood hull!they are fast,roomy,and very lakable!
Very true, those hulls FLY :eek: and look awesome doing it.
If you'r looking for a good deal, contact IMPATIENT1 on this board, he's gotta flying SJ for sale that is at a great price. He's a motivated seller as well. high 70 MPH SJ that needs very little and is around half of what your budget limit is.

funkybunchjr
08-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys, I will keep this in mind. I would be very happy with a clean sled that will do 60+. I have been building engines for years and would probably want to end up running my own in a season or two after purchase. It will be another 6 months or more before I can pull the trigger on the boat, I just wanted to start looking now. I have been known to make impulse buys before and I know I would be much happier if I take my time with this one!

atxwrangler
08-08-2006, 06:40 PM
your welcome check out texas***boats.com .

funkybunchjr
08-08-2006, 07:12 PM
your welcome check out texas***boats.com .
I did, and thanks, it seems to be a great site.

'75 Miller
08-08-2006, 07:14 PM
I'm pretty new to boats, but I've learned a couple lessons. 1st, avoid Olds powered boats. Sure a Chevy or ford can be transplanted, but it's not cheap. I'd also avoid Panther & Jacuzzi pumps. I'm certain that folks have made them perform, but again it ain't cheap. The Olds/Jacuzzi combo was a popular one, but if you're at all interested in performance it's an expensive way to go.
Matt

'75 Miller
08-08-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm not talking smack if there's any Olds or Panther or Jacuzzi fans online. Just adding my .02.

rerfert
08-08-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm not talking smack if there's any Olds or Panther or Jacuzzi fans online. Just adding my .02.
You can keep your .02 worth...How am I supose to sell my boat now :cry:
I think you should compensate me some for the damage you caused to the resale of my boat...LOL :p
Big blocks are all more expensive....and I like Jacuzzi pumps.
My boat does a smooth 50 with a 460 ford and is a nice solid crusier.....I think the price of gas is more of a factor that what parts you have in your boat unless your out to race it.
Just pullin your chain....Want to buy a boat??

funkybunchjr
08-08-2006, 11:16 PM
I'm a Chebby man all the way, as far as pumps, I know very little but the Berk on my '76 was simple and easy to wrench on. I guess you could say I want a Chevy/Berkley combo in a smooth fast hull :)

Aluminum Squirt
08-09-2006, 01:14 AM
I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record and Eagle should be paying me, but buy aluminum. It doesn't rot or rust, reapirs can be made with a sledge hammer or welder in extreme cases, its lite weight, you don't need to put in a rail kits for mounting your motor (the boat is your rail kit), etc etc. Did I mention they handle like slot cars and can handle all the rough water you can throw at it without ever cracking a stringer or delaminating anything. It's environmentally friendly, no chemicals involved with laying fiberglass and it can be recycled into your favorite beverage holder if you are ever so inclined. The bottoms are also not 70's and 80's technology, they are new and fast. If you have some welding skills you can make a change to the bottom if you want without having to buy a new boat. They are also very efficient with many stock SBC pwered hulls running in the 70's. Slap some real HP in there and you are will into the 90's or 100's. The best part about an aluminum boat is that nobody is going to show up with a boat anything like yours unless you are boating in the NW or in Canada. Check them out at http://www.outlaweagle.com/boatmodels.htm
A new one will blow up your budget but you may find a used one that will fit in there pretty closely, especially if you are going to build your own motor-Aluminum Squirt

IMPATIENT 1
08-09-2006, 05:36 AM
Very true, those hulls FLY :eek: and look awesome doing it.
If you'r looking for a good deal, contact IMPATIENT1 on this board, he's gotta flying SJ for sale that is at a great price. He's a motivated seller as well. high 70 MPH SJ that needs very little and is around half of what your budget limit is.
its runnin back in the low 80' now after a few mill upgrades i did last weekend.
i've never ridden in a v-hull as fast or that rides half as nice as this sj. its got a mean bbf that needs nothing but fuel , fresh berk pump with all the goodies and a divertor.might consider sellin without motor.i got bit by the cheyenne bug and now its all i can think about,lol.tom ethridge

IMPATIENT 1
08-09-2006, 05:38 AM
http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119651

Rampager
08-09-2006, 12:01 PM
I cannot emphasize what Al Squirt said enough. Don't discount it because its "different" and not "the norm". You simply cannot understand the performance that aluminum hulls are gaining untill you research it and start to compare apples to apples. He's right, the technology in many glass boats is nothing other than "old", the hulls have been splashed and/or designed in the 60's, 70's
Aluminum hulls are ultra strong and you would be quite surprised how well they can be rigged if interior amenities etc are your pleasure. The performance is simply not comparable to many many glass hulls.
Eventually Aluminum hulls will catch on in a much bigger way in the south but it will only be when glass boats start losing to them on the lakes and at the drags. Its gonna take a few brave guys to step up and make that happen but it WILL happen. Its only a matter of time.
Aluminum boats tend to see some very rough usage and that in turn means the product developes very quickly as one see's first hand what works and what does not. You can't have a weak hull when you are bashing rocks and jumping logs. Marathon boats often exceed triple digits with full rock grates and no loaders. That tends to make companies that build pleasure boats as well as race hulls very adept at squeezing excellent perfomance numbers out of their pleasure boats which tends to help sell boats. Remember aluminum boats are built in jigs not molds so its easy to make ongoing improvements to bottom design etc at little to no cost to the manufacturer.
Im 3 weeks away from making the permanant move out west and will be working for OutlawEagle playing a number of roles. Trust me I would not be doing that unless I was
a)totally stoked about aluminum boats and the prospect of racing them and B) belive 110% in not only aluminum boats as a viable perfomance and pleasure boat but in OutlawEagles product. They do build a great boat.
You will hopefully be hearing alot more from me and OutlawEagle on this forum very soon Give them(us) a call
Cheers

stompnstang
08-09-2006, 12:53 PM
5 years ago I got a 76 Taylor SS, back then I didn't know much about boats (it was my first one). It ended up being a pile of $hit, the port side stringer was cracked the pump was trash and so on. The next season I sold the boat. I have gone for a few rides in nice jet boats sense then, and I would really like another one. A good friend has a very nice 79 SJ for sale, but I don't know if that's what I want. What would you guys look for in a used jet (brand, hull, pump, ect). I would like something that rides somewhat smooth, that still handles speed well too. I'm looking to spend about 70% of time screwing around the lake and 30% drag racing. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help!
Funky
like you my very first boat was a ss aka the tank junk and never hated a boat more worked on it all the time did not like the ride or how much hp it took to get it to move. i then up'd to the sj and LOVED and miss that boat so much the ride the room and being able to still stick 5 people and go ski or knee board. and still have room for a cooler yet the same motor out of the ss gained 9 mph in that hull thats full and on the low end.. just my .02 if your looking for a family boat as well as one to rip up the lake the sj is a great boat got a back seat where some of the faster hulls dont yet not a lead sled like some others it wont set records but it will give many great days out in the sun and be able to handle some spend to if set up right. after the marlin is done and sold i have a hook up on another sj i plan to buy and use as my toy not looking to go 100+ just lots of funon the water with all the peeps if i wanna run 100+ ill get a ride in someones that can just my .02 rant later

funkybunchjr
08-09-2006, 03:01 PM
I went for a ride on my buddies SJ today. This boat is WAY MORE FUN than my SS was on a good day. It has a healthy 454, droop snoot, and a dirverter, and went 67 on GPS with choppy water. I am really leaning toward the SJ, now I want to ride in a TX-19 to see the difference.

IMPATIENT 1
08-09-2006, 03:14 PM
I went for a ride on my buddies SJ today. This boat is WAY MORE FUN than my SS was on a good day. It has a healthy 454, droop snoot, and a dirverter, and went 67 on GPS with choppy water. I am really leaning toward the SJ, now I want to ride in a TX-19 to see the difference.
call me then, i'll give ya a ride in a faster sj, i'll guarantee mine rides better, acells faster and more top end than your buds sj, you can take it home and woop on his,lol. your more than welcome to drive up and take a test spin at our local lake,hell bring your bud with the sj.imagine your buddies boat but 10mph faster and better handling.

funkybunchjr
08-09-2006, 07:46 PM
call me then, i'll give ya a ride in a faster sj, i'll guarantee mine rides better, acells faster and more top end than your buds sj, you can take it home and woop on his,lol. your more than welcome to drive up and take a test spin at our local lake,hell bring your bud with the sj.imagine your buddies boat but 10mph faster and better handling.
Sounds good, my car club is planning a camping trip to Texoma when the wheather cools off a bit. I'll PM ya and if you still have the boat, i'll drive the rest of the way and go for a ride!