PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to time jet boat????

Sticky Fingers
08-08-2006, 08:35 PM
So if you can't run your boat out of water, and having my wife run the boat at 3000 rpm's going across the after bay while I try to read the mark on the dampner while adjusting it sucks. What is the best way to time a jetboat? When the pump was headin south I did not care and set it on the trailer but now it is new and I do not want to smoke anything!

BOOGEYMAN
08-08-2006, 08:50 PM
lock your timing out and do it at idle in the water. :)

rerfert
08-08-2006, 09:23 PM
So if you can't run your boat out of water.....Set it a 8* btdc and get a timing light that will tell you what your total advance is at 3000 rpm.

shaun
08-08-2006, 11:45 PM
you could always disconnect the driveline.

centerhill condor
08-09-2006, 02:19 AM
use a lift at a marina... you could always buddy up to somebody... if you're in tn?

bighead
08-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Simple, just have a competent person in the drivers seat and have them hold the reverse bucket in the "neutral" position while maintaining the desired rpm, just make sure to do it in deeper water to avoid sucking up mud and such. You boat the afterbay at Oroville ??? if so we should hook up and I will give you a hand.I am out there almost daily.

Duane HTP
08-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Take your boat to the lake. Back it into the water on a cement ramp to where the pump is in the water far enough to pick up water. LEAVE THE BOW EYE HOOKED UP! hook up your timing light, start the engine, move back to the engine compartment and bring the RPM up to 3000 RPM by hand, and read your timing light. Adjust timing accordingly and check it again.

bighead
08-09-2006, 08:56 AM
You can run it out of water you just need to do a couple things, first at the cooling line from the pump you can install a tee or male and female hose couplings and hook up your garden hose to run after you start it up, this will keep the motor cool, second you use zip ties or something to secure a second hose spraying into the intake or you can run it through the hand hole cover too, to keep water in the pump and keep the wear ring from contacting the imp and keep it cool too. This advice was given to me years ago and I have done it many times in the past without ill effects yet and when changing impellars last season the wear ring area was pristine.

TJS
08-09-2006, 09:05 AM
You can run it out of water you just need to do a couple things, first at the cooling line from the pump you can install a tee or male and female hose couplings and hook up your garden hose to run after you start it up, this will keep the motor cool, second you use zip ties or something to secure a second hose spraying into the intake or you can run it through the hand hole cover too, to keep water in the pump and keep the wear ring from contacting the imp and keep it cool too. This advice was given to me years ago and I have done it many times in the past without ill effects yet and when changing impellars last season the wear ring area was pristine.
Can't do that with the Ultimate wear Ring.
T.J.

n8dawg
08-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Take your boat to the lake. Back it into the water on a cement ramp to where the pump is in the water far enough to pick up water. LEAVE THE BOW EYE HOOKED UP! hook up your timing light, start the engine, move back to the engine compartment and bring the RPM up to 3000 RPM by hand, and read your timing light. Adjust timing accordingly and check it again.
Thats how I've done mine in the past. Really simple. Or you could take the driveline off. :220v:

olbiezer
08-09-2006, 10:48 AM
i like bigheads idear...get a competent person in the drivers seat and use the nutral lever.......easy :)

460 jus getn it
08-09-2006, 11:02 AM
i like bigheads idear...get a competent person in the drivers seat and use the nutral lever.......easy :)
Thats the way i did it. Fast and easy.............................................. .......

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Thats the way i did it. Fast and easy.............................................. .......
thats the way WE did it:D sup 460?? Back at work with these woods....:rolleyes:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-09-2006, 11:51 AM
I just pull my driveshaft! I run her on the trailer with my ultimate wearring:D Oh wait, the pump isnt spinning:D

bighead
08-09-2006, 12:05 PM
what is the difference with a ultimate wear ring???

SmokinLowriderSS
08-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Several differences with the UWR.
First, it's not metal, one piece urethane rubber compound, hard, tough, no insulator to slip, and very slippery when lubed by water in normal use.
Seccond, it fits so closely that it actually brushes against the impeller in use, which seals tightest of anything but ANY running dry instantly ruins it.
Third, you burn it up, it's $120+ again. Don't fock it up, mine ran tight 16 years.

4trax
08-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Several differences with the UWR.
First, it's not metal, one piece urethane rubber compound, hard, tough, no insulator to slip, and very slippery when lubed by water in normal use.
Seccond, it fits so closely that it actually brushes against the impeller in use, which seals tightest of anything but ANY running dry instantly ruins it.
Third, you burn it up, it's $120+ again. Don't fock it up, mine ran tight 16 years.
I would of went with UWR but I'm in Shawano lake (Shawano,Wi.)which is shallow and full of weeds. So I went with brass sholder wear ring. Hope I made the right choice.

bighead
08-09-2006, 02:08 PM
thanks for the info on the wear ring, maybe next time I will try one.

460 jus getn it
08-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Best money i have ever spent. Very happy with the UWR.

wet77
08-09-2006, 04:14 PM
I would of went with UWR but I'm in Shawano lake (Shawano,Wi.)which is shallow and full of weeds. So I went with brass sholder wear ring. Hope I made the right choice.
I run the WI river and its got alot of shallow spots, I am on my second season with the UWR and it still works great.

Sticky Fingers
08-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Hey thanks. I had thought about running it in "neutral" so to speak but just wanted to hear someone else say it so I don't sound stupid. Bighead where you live and who you run with?

bighead
08-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Hey stickyfingers, I live in Oroville near the Forebay and do most of my boating at the Afterbay, I run with George in a blue Keaton. My boat is a 21 foot open bow Commander that has brown, tan and cream looking stripes. I was out again last nite at about 6:30pm till dusk, probably be out again tonite too. I prefer to launch at the ramp acrosss from the rc airplane field, forgot the name of the road but if you are on Oro dam/162 from Oroville it is the one on the right before Monument Hill, there is a lot less boats there and no lake lice, plus the water is clean and clear there so the boat and trailer stay way cleaner, only bummer is the gravel road.

Sticky Fingers
08-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Wilbur rd. Only place you can launch when water is low. If you see me stop me and bum a beer. I beleive I have the only light blue canam tdeck that goes out there. Or for that matter the only light blue tdeck jet. Know a guy by the name of charlie hodges? Is he still floatin around?

pywackett2000
08-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Run boat around until its warm. If its a big chev loosen distributor bolt and advance timing until it starts or cranks really hard. Then back it off a hair and run it like you stole it!!!It will be the most you can get out of it. If its not a stock motor or alcohol injected you dont need a light. And after about two weekends of running really hard vibration will retard it and you will be doing it again anyway. DONT BOTHER BRINGING YOURS I VE ALREADY GOT ONE!