PDA

View Full Version : Ranger,Rhino,Arctic Cat

Todd969
08-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Since there isn't any good place to post this, let's talk about them here.
I've been doing a lot of lurking on these makes forums and all I see is the typical mine is better threads.
What makes a rhino better? Is it more aftermarket parts ( this seems to be the major answer in the UTV forums )
Polaris owners really seem to like the Rangers. EFI, stock goodies with the XP and ground clearance. They seem very reliable and durable.
Arctic Cat owners also like that they come basically loaded and you get a 3 year warranty. I noticed some owners said that they've had minor engine issues, but nothing serious.
Has anyone else seriously looked at or own one that can really make a pro/con comment?
And no I am not getting rid of my Mule, just poking around.

NautiTwins
08-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Since there isn't any good place to post this, let's talk about them here.
I've been doing a lot of lurking on these makes forums and all I see is the typical mine is better threads.
What makes a rhino better? Is it more aftermarket parts ( this seems to be the major answer in the UTV forums )
Polaris owners really seem to like the Rangers. EFI, stock goodies with the XP and ground clearance. They seem very reliable and durable.
Arctic Cat owners also like that they come basically loaded and you get a 3 year warranty. I noticed some owners said that they've had minor engine issues, but nothing serious.
Has anyone else seriously looked at or own one that can really make a pro/con comment?
I am partial to the Ranger! One for its size, two for ground clearence and three for the EFI. I have been looking at the Rhino as well. The availabilty of aftermarket parts, seems to be what is making them so popular.
On the Ranger you also have better stock suspension and a larger towing capacity (1000 pounds vs 450) Which would make putting a back seat in the Ranger much safer then in a Rhino.

caroftheweek
08-09-2006, 09:23 AM
I am partial to the Ranger! One for its size, two for ground clearence and three for the EFI. I have been looking at the Rhino as well. The availabilty of aftermarket parts, seems to be what is making them so popular.
On the Ranger you also have better stock suspension and a larger towing capacity (1000 pounds vs 450) Which would make putting a back seat in the Ranger much safer then in a Rhino.
what makes the stock suspension better on a ranger than a rhino?

OGShocker
08-09-2006, 09:40 AM
I used this link to decide...It is SO impartial..:D
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/modelhead2head/487/0/head2head.aspx

Todd969
08-09-2006, 09:47 AM
I used this link to decide...It is SO impartial..:D
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/modelhead2head/487/0/head2head.aspx
Not really, They use a Ranger 500 against the Rhino 450. Lets keep it apple to apple and use the Rhino 660, Ranger XP and Arctic Cat XT.
There has to be more experienced opinions.

NautiTwins
08-09-2006, 09:53 AM
what makes the stock suspension better on a ranger than a rhino?
It is beefier, if that is a word. Basically from what I have seen when looking at them is better travel, stiffer and adjustable (as is the Rhino). Just the towing capacity alone is enough to push me towards the Ranger.

Moabirick
08-09-2006, 10:07 AM
I have a rhino and love it. I have a rear seat and have had four large grown adults (I'm 230 lbs) in it. Other than some slight rubbing because I have 27" tires on it, I have no complaints. I hammer this thing, chairs, ice chests, easy ups, one time I had three couples in it, no problems. Always starts right up and does not get grumpy in 120 degree weather. I recently raced a ranger and would of lost had it not been for the upgraded CDI I put in it. I heard the payload and towing capacity of the Ranger is more only due to gearing. Just my 2 cents.

OGShocker
08-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Not really, They use a Ranger 500 against the Rhino 450. Lets keep it apple to apple and use the Rhino 660, Ranger XP and Arctic Cat XT.
There has to be more experienced opinions.
My first post was a poor attempt at sarcasium.
We own a Ranger XP in Canada. It "works" well around the "farm", but I am not sure how it would handle the riggers of Off-Road/Desert racing. :D I prefer shocks to struts like the ones found on our Ranger. We are thinking of buying a Rhino for use in Havasu and the lower Desert. The Ranger is a bit louder than the Rhino in stock condition. This might be due to the fact, we installed a full Curtis Cab on it for winter use, but I doubt it. I like the option the Rhino gives for four point harness.(not the easiest thing when using a bench seat).
In conclusion, the Ranger is a very useful tool, strong and reliable. It handles well and provides a stable ride when loaded down with weight in the bed. We have chosen not to buy another because we think the Rhino will play harder.
Have a great day Todd, say hi to Dana for us,
Mark

Todd969
08-09-2006, 10:32 AM
My first post was a poor attempt at sarcasium.
We own a Ranger XP in Canada. It "works" well around the "farm", but I am not sure how it would handle the riggers of Off-Road/Desert racing. :D I prefer shocks to struts like the ones found on our Ranger. We are thinking of buying a Rhino for use in Havasu and the lower Desert. The Ranger is a bit louder than the Rhino in stock condition. This might be due to the fact, we installed a full Curtis Cab on it for winter use, but I doubt it. I like the option the Rhino gives for four point harness.(not the easiest thing when using a bench seat).
In conclusion, the Ranger is a very useful tool, strong and reliable. It handles well and provides a stable ride when loaded down with weight in the bed. We have chosen not to buy another because we think the Rhino will play harder.
Have a great day Todd, say hi to Dana for us,
Mark
Will do. Let me know when you'll be back.

Froggystyle
08-09-2006, 12:24 PM
I just bought a Rhino on Monday for the purpose of fitting in the back of the Toterhome and towing the boat in and around the campground and hopefully launching the boat and recovering as well.
We outfitted the trailer and the Rhino with electric brakes for the purpose, and were blipping around the yard here yesterday with zero problems. It tows it up the loading ramp we have here, total control etc... The only drama is that with the triple axles on the trailer it makes it hard to maneuver on asphalt and it wants to kind of skid the front wheels during really hard turns. All of that goes away when you get it on wet pavement or dirt.
We need to put some beefier suspension in back, as it squats it down quite a bit with the 600# tongue weight, but overall I am very, very pleased with the little rig. The aftermarket for them is huge and everyone has a kit for everything. Nothing really available for the Polaris that I can find. Plus, it's slightly smaller size is better for our application.
There you go...

djunkie
08-09-2006, 12:33 PM
I went and looked at the Ranger and the Rhino yesterday. Once you sit in them both you'll realize right away which one you like better. Rhino all the way. I felt more comfortable in the rhino. The Ranger made me feel like I was still sitting in a golf cart.

LGCDEVIL
08-09-2006, 12:39 PM
I just bought a Rhino on Monday for the purpose of fitting in the back of the Toterhome and towing the boat in and around the campground and hopefully launching the boat and recovering as well.
We outfitted the trailer and the Rhino with electric brakes for the purpose, and were blipping around the yard here yesterday with zero problems. It tows it up the loading ramp we have here, total control etc... The only drama is that with the triple axles on the trailer it makes it hard to maneuver on asphalt and it wants to kind of skid the front wheels during really hard turns. All of that goes away when you get it on wet pavement or dirt.
We need to put some beefier suspension in back, as it squats it down quite a bit with the 600# tongue weight, but overall I am very, very pleased with the little rig. The aftermarket for them is huge and everyone has a kit for everything. Nothing really available for the Polaris that I can find. Plus, it's slightly smaller size is better for our application.
There you go...
Keep us posted on how this works out. I am thinking about doing the same with my boat/toter.

Todd969
08-09-2006, 12:44 PM
There you go...
Thanks Wes! That's kinda the realistic answer I was hoping to get. I'm considering buying another toy for trailing off-road use and leaving my Mule 3010 trans in it's street form. Towing is not in the cards, but it's good to know it could do it.
Todd

Havasu_Dreamin
08-09-2006, 12:47 PM
I was gonna say, out of the different ones of these types of vehicles I have seen, I like yours the best. Seems way more practical/useful for it's intended purpose.

Todd969
08-09-2006, 12:50 PM
I was gonna say, out of the different ones of these types of vehicles I have seen, I like yours the best. Seems way more practical/useful for it's intended purpose.
Thanks Scott. I tend to buy things with a specific purpose in mind. That's why we are looking at 2 seater off road UTV's so I don't have to mess with my Mule.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks Scott. I tend to buy things with a specific purpose in mind. That's why we are looking at 2 seater off road UTV's so I don't have to mess with my Mule.
Sounds like you're setting up for some winter time fun in the local desert.

Magic34
08-09-2006, 12:54 PM
I have owned a quad that was not as popular as the major 3 brands (Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki). When it came to making the quad better with aftermarket accessories, it sucked that there were only 1 or 2 companies making parts for it.
I have since sold that quad and purchased a yamaha product, actaully, 2 including the Rhino.
I really like it because of all the aftermarket accessories that are available. You really have your choice of what you want with the Rhino. Also, as stated above, go sit in both. Sitting in the Rhino has a sports car feel compared to the Ranger. The Ranger feels like you are driving a bus.
Either way, all 3 are coming a long way, I just like the one that is more popular because more companies make aftermarket accessories for them.

djunkie
08-09-2006, 12:58 PM
I have owned a quad that was not as popular as the major 3 brands (Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki). When it came to making the quad better with aftermarket accessories, it sucked that there were only 1 or 2 companies making parts for it.
I have since sold that quad and purchased a yamaha product, actaully, 2 including the Rhino.
I really like it because of all the aftermarket accessories that are available. You really have your choice of what you want with the Rhino. Also, as stated above, go sit in both. Sitting in the Rhino has a sports car feel compared to the Ranger. The Ranger feels like you are driving a bus.
Either way, all 3 are coming a long way, I just like the one that is more popular because more companies make aftermarket accessories for them.
Plus everybodies doing it. :crossx:
Hey my golf cart is up for sale. Any input on where to offload this thing? I know you just sold yours not too long ago.

Magic34
08-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Plus everybodies doing it. :crossx:
Hey my golf cart is up for sale. Any input on where to offload this thing? I know you just sold yours not too long ago.
A referral from a friend is the way I sold it.
I figured it was simply a matter of time. I was the die hard golf cart guy like you, and once I drove the Rhino in the dunes, it was all over, I had to have it.

Todd969
08-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Sounds like you're setting up for some winter time fun in the local desert.
Not exactly, we already have 5 quads and 5 crf50f with taper kits and all the other goodies on them. This would be a vehicle I could run down by crazy horse with. Next step is bigger garage.

OGShocker
08-09-2006, 01:22 PM
I went and looked at the Ranger and the Rhino yesterday. Once you sit in them both you'll realize right away which one you like better. Rhino all the way. I felt more comfortable in the rhino. The Ranger made me feel like I was still sitting in a golf cart.
Am I going to pick one up for you, while in Montana?

djunkie
08-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Am I going to pick one up for you, while in Montana?
Doubtful. I don't think the golf cart is gonna sell to fast. Plus I don't know if I'm just gonna pay cash for the thing or finance half of it. I hate pulling big chunks out of the bank. See what kind of finance specials they are running.

Froggystyle
08-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Doubtful. I don't think the golf cart is gonna sell to fast. Plus I don't know if I'm just gonna pay cash for the thing or finance half of it. I hate pulling big chunks out of the bank. See what kind of finance specials they are running.
I went to put the whole $10K on it and buy it outright until I saw the finance specials. $89/month for 24 months. I will pay it off after that, but right now, you can't buy 10K that cheap, so why get rid of liquid cash right now?
That being said... now I have 10K to put into it! :D

Cruzzze
08-09-2006, 02:02 PM
I guess I don't have to say this but I bought a Rhino after driving all three. I'm sure they are all better than the next in one way or another, but I was partial to the Rhino. The polaris was ok, but the ride wasn't as good........and again there are alot of accessories out there for the rhino, as crazy as you want to be

djunkie
08-09-2006, 02:44 PM
I went to put the whole $10K on it and buy it outright until I saw the finance specials. $89/month for 24 months. I will pay it off after that, but right now, you can't buy 10K that cheap, so why get rid of liquid cash right now?
That being said... now I have 10K to put into it! :D
I was thinking the same thing. I'm house shopping right now so I'd like to keep every penny in the bank that I can. Which isn't much. :cry:

OGShocker
08-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Mine sold in one minute and I didn't even know it was for sale.. :rollside:

djunkie
08-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Mine sold in one minute and I didn't even know it was for sale.. :rollside:
Sell mine for me too then. :rollside:

Todd969
08-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Sure are a lot of Rhino cheerleaders. I went and drove a Ranger XP and Arctic Cat before the weather came in today.
My take,
The Ranger was quite comfortable,tunred great, felt stable, like the cargo area under the seat. Overall it was good enough for me.
Arctic Cat, it was also very driveable, the seats were comfy, very peppy, the box is a little smaller, really not bad since I don't plan on racing it.
Tomorrow I check out the Rhino. So we'll see.

Froggystyle
08-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Sure are a lot of Rhino cheerleaders. I went and drove a Ranger XP and Arctic Cat before the weather came in today.
My take,
The Ranger was quite comfortable,tunred great, felt stable, like the cargo area under the seat. Overall it was good enough for me.
Arctic Cat, it was also very driveable, the seats were comfy, very peppy, the box is a little smaller, really not bad since I don't plan on racing it.
Check under the drivers seat on the Rhino. I was pleasantly suprised to find out where my two 12" subs firing isobarically are going... :D

Todd969
08-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Check under the drivers seat on the Rhino. I was pleasantly suprised to find out where my two 12" subs firing isobarically are going... :D
I hear ya Wes, but I am not willing to go that far and will likely leave it plain jane.

chub
08-09-2006, 06:21 PM
arctic cat/ranger work horse.......rhino cruiser. I will say I haven't got my rhino stuck yet though. That fockers a goat. I desert ride outside of Topock. No bling here except the bash plate does reflect.......CHUB............

OGShocker
08-10-2006, 06:15 AM
My take,
Waiting for the Rhino report, Todd. :D

Todd969
08-10-2006, 06:58 AM
Waiting for the Rhino report, Todd. :D
Later this afternoon. Still gotta put in atleast half a day :)

Todd969
08-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Off to check out and test drive a Rhino 660.

rivercrazy
08-10-2006, 09:25 AM
We just jumped on the Rhino bandwagon as well. Got a killer deal from an out of state dealer. Should have it in less than a week

OGShocker
08-10-2006, 11:53 AM
We just jumped on the Rhino bandwagon as well. Got a killer deal from an out of state dealer. Should have it in less than a week
Are you sharing the info? If so, please PM me.

Todd969
08-10-2006, 12:11 PM
now that I has driven these 3 vehicles and feel like I can put a good pro\con list together I would have to say:
Polaris
PROS- was great on power and stability, good reliability, box is big, cup holders,nice storage box and parts availability.
CONS- HEAVY, cant fit in truck (if needed ), not willing to deal on price and parts are expensive.
Arctic Cat
PROS-was loaded from the start, priced right, cup holders and drove pretty good.
CONS- very few aftermarket parts, no idea how reliable they are since they are 3yrs new, smaller box, lack of covered storage and serious lack of sevice centers.
Rhino,
Pros- great power, stable, Yamaha reliabilty, very easy to get parts for.
Cons- smaller box, fuel tank sight gauge, no cup holders and the box under the drivers seat requires a liner to make it a storage area.
Now that I have "my" list of P's&C's.................. What to do?
I went with this, I was trying so hard not to be a follower, dammit.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/sxs/500/06_RHINO660_se_3.jpg

dicudmore
08-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Todd did you buy one?
What's the deal with the Kawi??

rivercrazy
08-10-2006, 12:29 PM
OG - here's where we purchased one:
Mark
POWER MOTOR SPORTS
20244 N RAND RD
PALATINE, IL 60074-2051
Phone #1: 847-359-4844
Fax: 847-359-5794
Web: Power Motor Sports
$9,800 OTD (and delivered to my door for a 06 Rhino 660 SE). California deliveries cost a slight amount more. My total OTD should be around $10,349 after registering and paying sales tax in AZ.
Not sure if they are doing this deal indefinately.

Todd969
08-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Todd did you buy one?
What's the deal with the Kawi??
Yes I did,being street legalized right now and will come home tonite. The mule isn't going anywhere. It will remain in it's street version and used. The Rhino will be for trips down by crazy horse and when we take the quads out. Since I bought an SE, NOTHING else will be done to it.

Todd969
08-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Mark
POWER MOTOR SPORTS
20244 N RAND RD
PALATINE, IL 60074-2051
$9,800 OTD (and delivered to my door for a 06 Rhino 660 SE). California deliveries cost a slight amount more. My total OTD should be around $10,349 after registering and paying sales tax in AZ.
I came out $600.00 more in Kingman. that includes the street legal items (incl regs fees ) and center console with cup holders.

djunkie
08-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Mark
POWER MOTOR SPORTS
20244 N RAND RD
PALATINE, IL 60074-2051
Any idea how much for the Green 660. I was just quoted $10k OTD for one here in Ca.

Todd969
08-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Any idea how much for the Green 660. I was just quoted $10k OTD for one here in Ca.
try Reagan at Mother Road HD in Kingman. I just got their last SE of 06, but the had green and camo.
928-757-1166
Tell him Todd sent you.

shadow
08-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Sounds fair,i paid 10.5k for mine out the door.Mine was a little steep but i bought it 8 months ago and they were next to impossible to find and when you could find one they wanted a ridiculous premium.

OGShocker
08-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Thank you for the information.
Mark
POWER MOTOR SPORTS
20244 N RAND RD
PALATINE, IL 60074-2051

djunkie
08-10-2006, 12:43 PM
try Reagan at Mother Road HD in Kingman. I just got their last SE of 06, but the had green and camo.
928-757-1166
Tell him Todd sent you.
I'm just trying to figure out my best option. I don't want to get one out of state if i'm only gonna save a couple hundred bucks. To save on the hassle of registration and delivery issues is not worth saving $500 bucks to me.

djunkie
08-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Sounds fair,i paid 10.5k for mine out the door.Mine was a little steep but i bought it 8 months ago and they were next to impossible to find and when you could find one they wanted a ridiculous premium.
I have a buddy that works at Del Amo motorsports and he said he can probably do it for that price. Of course they don't have any 660's there so he's gonna let me know.

Cole Trickle
08-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Welcome to the family!!
The Rhino might not be perfect for every situation but they do a darn good job and will put a huge smile on your face everytime you drive it:D

djunkie
08-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Welcome to the family!!
The Rhino might not be perfect for every situation but they do a darn good job and will put a huge smile on your face everytime you drive it:D
Sell my golf cart so I can join in. I'll hook you up with a couple cases of Corona's. :crossx: :crossx:

FlatStupid
08-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Bought one to pull the race boats around with. Haul it around in the stacker trailer and do have to remove the roll bar. After market tires and wheels, glove box cupholder combo, Walker Evans shocks( lower overall height, more travel,better with loads) pipe,seats. Absolutely LOVE it.!! Cost a lot!

djunkie
08-10-2006, 12:50 PM
! Cost a lot!
What doesn't nowadays? :rolleyes: :rollside: :rollside:

Brewzed
08-10-2006, 12:52 PM
I just bought a Rhino at John Burr Yamaha in Fontana for $10K OTD about two weeks ago. The thing is a blast, alot more fun than my old Club Car.
Problem is, it's a money pit, I have already put $8500 into it in aftermarket parts.
the one plus about the Ranger is that you can make it a 6 seater

Cole Trickle
08-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Sell my golf cart so I can join in. I'll hook you up with a couple cases of Corona's. :crossx: :crossx:
I think your cart is sick but you will be hard pressed to sell it for anywhere near $7,000 due to the Rhino/Ranger craze and the special financing that the manuf. are offering.
You should list it on Glamis dunes and race desert to see if you can find some interest.
The Coronas due sound good though!!! :crossx:

Froggystyle
08-10-2006, 12:55 PM
I think your cart is sick but you will be hard pressed to sell it for anywhere near $7,000 due to the Rhino/Ranger craze and the special financing that the manuf. are offering.
You should list it on Glamis dunes and race desert to see if you can find some interest.
I'm only asking $5500 for mine for that exact reason... Totally dialed too. Not a gas modified one like DJunkies, but it is cherry looking with a roll cage and lift etc...

djunkie
08-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Ya I know I will not get anything close to that and I can accept it. Its on GD already and I've had a couple guys interested. $4500 is the top offer so far but I came back with a counter offer for the guy and he seems interested. Need to get it home from Havasu so he can come and see it.

Cole Trickle
08-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Ya I know I will not get anything close to that and I can accept it. Its on GD already and I've had a couple guys interested. $4500 is the top offer so far but I came back with a counter offer for the guy and he seems interested. Need to get it home from Havasu so he can come and see it.
Cool
I think you could probably sell it for anywhere from 5K-5.5K if your willing to hold out.(The motor and cage work is pretty trick)
Bad part is you will miss out on all the Rhino fun if you don't dump it :crossx:

Cole Trickle
08-10-2006, 01:05 PM
I'm only asking $5500 for mine for that exact reason... Totally dialed too. Not a gas modified one like DJunkies, but it is cherry looking with a roll cage and lift etc...
I will offer you $500.00 for your cart like I have offerd Djunkie if your intrested :crossx: ;)

Froggystyle
08-10-2006, 01:08 PM
I will offer you $500.00 for your cart like I have offerd Djunkie if your intrested :crossx: ;)
That's right, you've seen it... $500 eh...
Let me think about it a while.

djunkie
08-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Cool
I think you could probably sell it for anywhere from 5K-5.5K if your willing to hold out.(The motor and cage work is pretty trick)
Bad part is you will miss out on all the Rhino fun if you don't dump it :crossx:
Well I may have a Rhino in 2 weeks. With the financing specials they have I'll pay it off later. Wonder what my parents will think when I have a rhino and golf cart in the garage. :rolleyes: :crossx: :crossx:

2Driver
08-10-2006, 01:11 PM
I just bought a Rhino on Monday There you go...
Do you ever stop buying stuff? What happened to the Caddy, is that next week ? :D :D
I need to go back to work and open a business so I can get the write offs :)

rivercrazy
08-10-2006, 01:23 PM
I believe they were at $9,200. But then you need to add sales tax and registration. Give Greg a call. He is a no bull strait-shooter.

Cole Trickle
08-10-2006, 01:28 PM
That's right, you've seen it... $500 eh...
Let me think about it a while.
I'll even pick it up when I come down for that test ride!!:D

djunkie
08-10-2006, 01:28 PM
I believe they were at $9,200. But then you need to add sales tax and registration. Give Greg a call. He is a no bull strait-shooter.
The registration is the problem. I'm gonna have to go to the Ca. DMV to get it registered. I hate that place. :cry: :cry:

rivercrazy
08-10-2006, 01:33 PM
I am registering mine in arizona. Lower sales tax rate plus the ability for street legality (in Az).
Then green sticker it in cali. = best of both worlds

Froggystyle
08-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Do you ever stop buying stuff? What happened to the Caddy, is that next week ? :D :D
I need to go back to work and open a business so I can get the write offs :)
I close on the Caddy when I am in Phoenix next week for the Men's Luxury Toy Expo. Lund Cadillac is building it for me, and it should be pretty pimp.
Speaking of which, if anyone wants free tickets, call me while they last.

Cole Trickle
08-10-2006, 01:43 PM
I am registering mine in arizona. Lower sales tax rate plus the ability for street legality (in Az).
Then green sticker it in cali. = best of both worlds
Me too.....
Now I just have to find the time to haul it to an AZ DMV so they can inspect it:D
<------ took delivery in January;)

Todd969
08-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Off to pick up the new toy. Will post a pic or 2 tonite.

Moabirick
08-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Me too.....
Now I just have to find the time to haul it to an AZ DMV so they can inspect it:D
<------ took delivery in January;)
Hey Cole, just for info, just had a buddy of mine register his in AZ, they did'nt even care if he did not bring it, he just had to sign a affidavit stating that he has a windshield, horn, ect. Gave him the plate right at the office. He did not even have to give him his AZ address, he used his Cali one. Said its going to cost him about $150 a year. He's been ripping it around Havasu no problems. He bought it out of Minesota, delivered it to his door for $8900.

Todd969
08-10-2006, 06:40 PM
It's home. Still can't believe I fell victim to the Rhino family. A very positive note: Dana loves it and that's really all that matters.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634101_0752.JPG

Ultrafied
08-10-2006, 07:39 PM
A lot of Rhino fans here. You should really decide what you want it for. If its for play, the Rhino is great. If for work and play, its the Ranger XP. The specs speak for themselves, pretty much leading in everything from top end, turning radius and HP.
The bench seat on the Ranger isn't for everybody, but for me, it was what drew me to it as well as EFI. You can get some pretty wild and crazy colors now from Polaris. They are doing some pretty good stuff. The one thing that really turned me off to the Rhino is the fact that the engine and tranny share the same case. Didn't really like that. The other is that Rhino's are known for roll overs (that's why leg-savers are such a popular item).
On the flip side, the Rhino has by far better dealer support. Yamaha really lets you customize it but you would be surprised as to what has come available for the Ranger (i.e. Beard seats, Walker Evans suspension, K&N Filters, rear seat options from RUV, etc.).
Both are great and you will be happy with either. Good luck. :D

shadow
08-10-2006, 08:10 PM
It's home. Still can't believe I fell victim to the Rhino family. A very positive note: Dana loves it and that's really all that matters.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634101_0752.JPG
Very nice Todd,You will love it!Bring it down to Crazy Horse tomorrow night or Sat Night and we will break it in properly.

slink
08-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Hey Cole, just for info, just had a buddy of mine register his in AZ, they did'nt even care if he did not bring it, he just had to sign a affidavit stating that he has a windshield, horn, ect. Gave him the plate right at the office. He did not even have to give him his AZ address, he used his Cali one. Said its going to cost him about $150 a year. He's been ripping it around Havasu no problems. He bought it out of Minesota, delivered it to his door for $8900.
We all know you're a documented liar!!!!!!! What up Rick? Post some pics of yours. Late Jeff

Todd969
08-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Very nice Todd,You will love it!Bring it down to Crazy Horse tomorrow night or Sat Night and we will break it in properly.
More likely tomorrow. We have plans Saturday.

shadow
08-11-2006, 05:45 AM
More likely tomorrow. We have plans Saturday.
See you then,We should be down there by about 6pm. :)

Todd969
08-11-2006, 07:07 AM
I'm taking off at noonish today. Plan on cruising down to the channel around 3:00 to meet up with Sean and Val. So 6:00 would work. Just give a call.

Nordic35Flame
08-11-2006, 07:39 AM
Has anybody made their rhino street legal in CA. If so what did it take to do it?

Todd969
08-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Has anybody made their rhino street legal in CA. If so what did it take to do it?
No can do.

OGShocker
08-11-2006, 08:36 AM
I'm taking off at noonish today. Plan on cruising down to the channel around 3:00 to meet up with Sean and Val. So 6:00 would work. Just give a call.
Good luck on him showing up, especially if it happens to be burrito night. :crossx:
Todd, Congrat's on your Rhino. I can't wait until we can all meet for a rally. I am going to pick ours up at the end of the month.
Say hello to Dana for us,
Mark

Todd969
08-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Good luck on him showing up, especially if it happens to be burrito night. :crossx:
Todd, Congrat's on your Rhino. I can't wait until we can all meet for a rally. I am going to pick ours up at the end of the month.
Say hello to Dana for us,
Mark
Thanks, Think you can stop working long enough to come out and play?

Froggystyle
08-11-2006, 08:50 AM
No can do.
Not true. Mine will be. You just need to do the legwork.

Todd969
08-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Well, don't you just have all the answers mr. smartypants. :) So how exactly does this legwork process go?

Nordic35Flame
08-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Yeah! Tell us how this legwork thing works :confused:

OGShocker
08-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks, Think you can stop working long enough to come out and play?
Maybe next weekend. We'll see how it goes.

rivercrazy
08-11-2006, 11:15 AM
GOOD LUCK!
California code prohibits street legal registration based on a number of things including:
* a utility vehicle made by the manufacturer as an off road vehicle does not meet the criteria as a special constructed vehicle...it is an off highway vehicle.
* a correctly inspected vehicle would fail on the tires alone (they clearly state for off road use only).
* the fact that the Rhino says right on it - "for off road use only"
* it is legal to register the rhino if you dual register it.. the only problem is that it falls under the golf cart rules which are with-in 3 miles of a golf course and on roads 25mph or less.. no main streets or freeways AND - It doesn't legally apply to being a golf cart and it will not meet the Federal motor safety standards act not to mention smog legal, from the manufacturer
You might get a plate for it but that doesn't guarantee its legal to operate it. A cop will get you eventually

Froggystyle
08-11-2006, 11:31 AM
GOOD LUCK!
California code prohibits street legal registration based on a number of things including:
* a utility vehicle made by the manufacturer as an off road vehicle does not meet the criteria as a special constructed vehicle...it is an off highway vehicle.
* a correctly inspected vehicle would fail on the tires alone (they clearly state for off road use only).
* the fact that the Rhino says right on it - "for off road use only"
* it is legal to register the rhino if you dual register it.. the only problem is that it falls under the golf cart rules which are with-in 3 miles of a golf course and on roads 25mph or less.. no main streets or freeways AND - It doesn't legally apply to being a golf cart and it will not meet the Federal motor safety standards act not to mention smog legal, from the manufacturer
You might get a plate for it but that doesn't guarantee its legal to operate it. A cop will get you eventually
A) You can get it registered, but will it be street-legal is the question
B) You clearly need street legal tires. I plan on putting 25" tall BFG All-terrains on it.
C) Under 880cc's is smog exempt, period.
D) The statute is under 35 mph for a golf cart, but this doesn't fall under golf cart, it falls under motorcycle.
E) You need to wear a helmet
F) You need blinkers, safety belts, lighted liscense plate, horn, bumpers, DOT legal lights (Stock are not) and other sundry items. Without these standard, it is considered to be off-road only.
G) You can't put a windshield on it in Cali unless you put wipers. Wearing a helmet precludes the neccessity for a windshield.
Essentially, it falls between the worlds of motorcycles, neighborhood vehicles and cars. California, above all other states is super-pro neighborhood vehicles and will encourage you to drive a smaller vehicle every time. I will have mine registered and street legal in a matter of days. I expect to be pulled over several times before all of the cops figure out it is legal, but I have logic and the law on my side. I will meet all of the criteria for legalization and drive it daily.
That, by the way is called "legwork". It is neither inexpensive or easy, but worth doing for me. My golf cart is 100% street legal on roads below 35 mph, but only goes 22 and only that on level ground. It drops to 15 or so going up hill, from the island to Kragen in Havasu for example and is dangerous. This will not be.
In stock configuration, they are not street legal by a long shot. Fact is, I can build my own vehicle from scratch and if it meets all of the DOT and California vehicle codes, I can get it registered. This is easy in comparison.

XtrmWakeborder
08-11-2006, 11:43 AM
A) You can get it registered, but will it be street-legal is the question
B) You clearly need street legal tires. I plan on putting 25" tall BFG All-terrains on it.
C) Under 880cc's is smog exempt, period.
D) The statute is under 35 mph for a golf cart, but this doesn't fall under golf cart, it falls under motorcycle.
E) You need to wear a helmet
F) You need blinkers, safety belts, lighted liscense plate, horn, bumpers, DOT legal lights (Stock are not) and other sundry items. Without these standard, it is considered to be off-road only.
G) You can't put a windshield on it in Cali unless you put wipers. Wearing a helmet precludes the neccessity for a windshield.
Essentially, it falls between the worlds of motorcycles, neighborhood vehicles and cars. California, above all other states is super-pro neighborhood vehicles and will encourage you to drive a smaller vehicle every time. I will have mine registered and street legal in a matter of days. I expect to be pulled over several times before all of the cops figure out it is legal, but I have logic and the law on my side. I will meet all of the criteria for legalization and drive it daily.
That, by the way is called "legwork". It is neither inexpensive or easy, but worth doing for me. My golf cart is 100% street legal on roads below 35 mph, but only goes 22 and only that on level ground. It drops to 15 or so going up hill, from the island to Kragen in Havasu for example and is dangerous. This will not be.
In stock configuration, they are not street legal by a long shot. Fact is, I can build my own vehicle from scratch and if it meets all of the DOT and California vehicle codes, I can get it registered. This is easy in comparison.
Be sure to take some pics of it pulling the trident around. Thats got to look sweet!

rivercrazy
08-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Ca code clearly states that if the vehicle is "labeled" as off road only, then it may not be registered as street legal. Since the Rhino has this label all I can say is good luck. Hope you pull it off and don't get hassled

OGShocker
08-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Ca code clearly states that if the vehicle is "labeled" as off road only, then it may not be registered as street legal. Since the Rhino has this label all I can say is good luck. Hope you pull it off and don't get hassled
I had a Golf Cart reg'd in Cali'. It was fine (for four years) until they asked me for a SMOG certificate. I told them it was a G O L F C A R T. They told me, "Oh, OK, Sorry, then denied to register the f'ing thing. :mad:

Froggystyle
08-11-2006, 01:00 PM
It will probably have to be considered a "special construction" vehicle.

Froggystyle
08-11-2006, 01:02 PM
I had a Golf Cart reg'd in Cali'. It was fine (for four years) until they asked me for a SMOG certificate. I told them it was a G O L F C A R T. They told me, "Oh, OK, Sorry, then denied to register the f'ing thing. :mad:
Should have gone and gotten it smogged... A referee could have taken one look at it, decided that it wasn't 880 cc's and passed it. Problem solved.

Brewzed
08-11-2006, 01:27 PM
rivercrazy is correct. As long as the vehicle is commonly known as an "ATV" you can't register it in CA for street use. I know someone heavy into the Rhino business and that's what he was told by the DMV. Even if you call it special construction, they are still going to use the Yamaha VIN and it will come up as an ATV

djunkie
08-11-2006, 01:29 PM
rivercrazy is correct. As long as the vehicle is commonly known as an "ATV" you can't register it in CA for street use. I know someone heavy into the Rhino business and that's what he was told by the DMV. Even if you call it special construction, they are still going to use the Yamaha VIN and it will come up as an ATV
I thought the Rhino was considered a UTV :confused: :confused: I've seen some golf courses with those little grounds keeper vehicles that had a plate on them. Couldn't the Rhino be under the same thing as those?

OGShocker
08-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Should have gone and gotten it smogged... A referee could have taken one look at it, decided that it wasn't 880 cc's and passed it. Problem solved.
Then Warlock25 couldn't have bought it from me..:D

djunkie
08-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Then Warlock25 couldn't have bought it from me..:D
I saw that look in his eyes when he saw my cart. I think hes ready to step up to a real cart. :crossx: :crossx:

Eliminator951
08-11-2006, 02:12 PM
The Yamaha video does not mention the Ranger XP, I think that video is a few years old. I'm not saying one is better over the other because I have not driven a Rhino, but I do own a Ranger XP. A friend of mine and mysylf have them and we have beat them up with no problems. They are goats, and the bench seat is great if you have kids so you can put them in next to you for safety. A buddy of mine has turbo charged his Ranger and man is it fast; if anyone is familiar with blow sand hill in Ocotillo Wells, he can go up the hill now on the 54 mph rev. limiter. It will require a few more mods to changes the final drive ratio to acheive a higher top speed, but the acceleration is incredible.
Some people have mentioned that Rangers are junk, always falling apart, I could say the same for Rhino's, Yamaha has done an excelent job in marketing the Rhino, I have done virtually no maintenance on my Ranger and it keeps running strong, I have hit many ruts, rocks and branches at full speed in the desert, it's bullit proof. Since no one seems to know a lot about the Ranger here are some facts.
700cc EFI motor = starts first try, every time. Doesn't stink up the toy hauler with fumes like a carburator does. Doesn't care what altitude either.
On the fly 1, 2, or fully locked 4wd. You may be wondering why you would want 1wd, but it is great for the street, doesn't scrub tires and turns sharper. This is all done with a 3 way rocker switch, simple.
Lot's of low end torque, perfect for pulling trailers, going through mud, etc
Strong roll cage
Wide stance, this is better for climbing hills and obstacles, less chance of roll over.
Larger axles
More storage, under seat and larger bed.
It WILL fit in a pickup bed; I took my Ranger home the the back of a long bed F150!
Aftermarket parts are slowly coming out, the machines are beefed up from the beginning so there weren't any "must haves" needed for serious off roading.
Go to http://www.prcforum.com for more info

Todd969
08-11-2006, 02:25 PM
more pics before it gets dirty :crossx:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634101_0756.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634101_0755.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634101_0754.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634101_0753.JPG

Carrera 26
08-11-2006, 10:50 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g264/Threaded/threaded_rhino_001a.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g264/Threaded/threaded_rhino_004a.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g264/Threaded/2002.jpg
Trying to compete with tobtek
Thanks to socalfab.com almost done

Todd969
08-14-2006, 07:32 AM
Hey Darrell, thanks for the pizza, water, guided tour of the trails and face full of dirt :) , we need to do it again.