PDA

View Full Version : City Council At It Again

missspent
08-09-2006, 09:16 AM
The Channel is getting harder and harder to navigate, if it's not the weeds that is hard to navigate then it's the depth of the Channel. The City Council has placed this issue on the the back burner as they believe their is no urgency to address this problem. The Public Works Director in Today's News Herald stated that it will probably be another two years before they place the issue of the Channel on the budget. I am not sure how you feel...but it's really a problem when you start sucking up weeds and your motor starts to bogged down...and if you happen to have an outdrive, and your propeller won't spin...Do you think this is the Councils way of keep all of us out of the Channel?
If you missed this weeks Channel Shots they are up.
http://www.lakehavasucityinformation.com

RiverDave
08-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Down in the keys in Parker their is some really bad weeds on the back canal.. Never heard of a weed that's going to stop a propeller before? With the new 4 blades they usually just cut right through them.. With the old style 3 blade elephant ears the (in my experience) sometimes the prop just loads up with weeds, and you can just give it a quick shot in reverse to release them and be on your way.
If your really concerned about it, go down to the channel at 2 or 3 in the morning and take a big heavy chain in your boat. Hook the chain to both tow eyes on the back and throw it in the water. Cruise the channel once, by the time you get to the end (if the chain was heavy enough) you will have collected quite a bit of weeds (and be running at 1500 - 2000 RPM). After you exit out into thompson bay release one side of the chain and pull forward. Pull the chain up, rehook it to the other side again and cruise the other way..
Weed problem solved. Red Tape Bull shit bypassed.
RD

Not So Fast
08-09-2006, 09:39 AM
A couple of years ago we saw what looked like some sort of big yellow weed whacker (no, not an outboard) on the front of a boat coming thru the channel. Being a retired operating engineer i was very intrigued, it turned out to be a harvester of the damn weed that comes every year about this time. It supposedly chopped it off at about 6 ft or so below the water line. I could not believe the piles they had along side the channel, they were huge and lots of them. I have not seen it since but the problem is pretty bad again. :frown: NSF

RiverDave
08-09-2006, 09:42 AM
A couple of years ago we saw what looked like some sort of big yellow weed whacker (no, not an outboard) on the front of a boat coming thru the channel. Being a retired operating engineer i was very intrigued, it turned out to be a harvester of the damn weed that comes every year about this time. It supposedly chopped it off at about 6 ft or so below the water line. I could not believe the piles they had along side the channel, they were huge and lots of them. I have not seen it since but the problem is pretty bad again. :frown: NSF
Well where is that thing? And do they rent it by the hour? LOL.. Get some beads and some girls... uh not dancing on the front of it (almost forgot it's the "No Fun" channel now) and cruise through like everyone else.. Those damn big brother, trying to hold the power boaters down city councilmen (and women) will never even knew you where there..
RD :D

shueman
08-09-2006, 10:12 AM
...Do you think this is the Councils way of keep all of us out of the Channel?...
Do you, like, stay up all night dreaming up this stuff.... :rolleyes:

missspent
08-09-2006, 10:31 AM
No need to stay up at night to discover the latest. Todays New Hearld, (The Daily Mistake) just prints the news or letters to the editor that they see fit. Life and being a local in Havasu...Hey, a sit-com! Sorry, maybe a reality show. We most certainly could not be a segment on Modern Marvals. The prop...3 blade on a Volvo 4...don't take much to mess with the "little" one.

UncleLarry
08-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Ok the real facts are this.... I was at the meeting...
Dredging the channel has nothing to do with the weeds/green stuff now floating in it .. yes that is an annual event watching it float thru the channel....
RE: DREDGING........
A boater asked the council to look into dredging the channel at the south entrance (thompson bay) because of all the silt that has been brought into it by the wash that is located there.
The council needs to get permission from the Army Corp of Engineers to touch any of the land under the water. The are going to submit the reguired paper work and when they hear back from them. The public works department will bring it back up before the council with the amount needed to clean up JUST that one end. Everyone on the council and all the department heads at the meeting agreed that it needs to be done asap. It could be done as early as next spring
And that is the process with the facts and nothing but the facts....
As I have said over and over if you want to know what is really happening here just ask "Uncle Larry"

FREIND OF AA AND TA
08-09-2006, 10:56 AM
I saw those piles it colected too. Unreal machine.

OnlyMoney
08-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Ok the real facts are this.... I was at the meeting...
Dredging the channel has nothing to do with the weeds/green stuff now floating in it .. yes that is an annual event watching it float thru the channel....
RE: DREDGING........
A boater asked the council to look into dredging the channel at the south entrance (thompson bay) because of all the silt that has been brought into it by the wash that is located there.
The council needs to get permission from the Army Corp of Engineers to touch any of the land under the water. The are going to submit the reguired paper work and when they hear back from them. The public works department will bring it back up before the council with the amount needed to clean up JUST that one end. Everyone on the council and all the department heads at the meeting agreed that it needs to be done asap. It could be done as early as next spring
And that is the process with the facts and nothing but the facts....
As I have said over and over if you want to know what is really happening here just ask "Uncle Larry"
Uncle Larry...always helping people. Thanks Larry, from your Team TUrnkey hat-wearing channel store chatting river friend ;)
Shelby

Not So Fast
08-09-2006, 01:04 PM

Not So Fast
08-09-2006, 01:05 PM
I saw those piles it colected too. Unreal machine.
I think the task of removing those piles was probably to costly, they were HUGE huh? NSF

UncleLarry
08-09-2006, 01:31 PM
2nd bridge - city working with appraiser (arizona state lands) now so the city can purchase the land could start building it in 18 months and be done 18 months later.....
yah not so fast... that one came back to bite me on the ass....

Havasu Luvr
08-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Really? So, who was with you until 3:30am the morning of the London Bridge pic was taken ? AND why was there NOT any pics of her?
:rollside:

Ziggy
08-09-2006, 01:54 PM
You also said the Bill Williams bridge looked like new when you passed over it after the fire ;) :D
Just pulling your leg...........a little :p

Not So Fast
08-09-2006, 02:57 PM
2nd bridge - city working with appraiser (arizona state lands) now so the city can purchase the land could start building it in 18 months and be done 18 months later.....
yah not so fast... that one came back to bite me on the ass....
No problemo Uncle Larry, I made a mistake once :D Like I said back then, once they start moving dirt and doing the off site improvements, it's on. Still doesnt make what the city is allowing right. AND BRIDGE work is VERY vERY slow and even with the 3 year promise of completion it is going to be a night mare getting on and off the island. Dont matter to me, I hardly ever go there anyway except for the fool show at site 6. Peace, NSF

MRSDRMCAT
08-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Back to the topic of weeds in your prop......when launching the boat out of Windsor Sat. I was backing over a HUGE amount of those nasty weeds and my BOAT WOULD NOT MOVE!!! I was scared shiatless especially since my back end was floating towards one boat and the front end towards another...I gave in a little power and thank GOD it chopped through it and I went on my merry way with a lil' chocolate starfish :220v:

UncleLarry
08-09-2006, 08:52 PM
ziggy.. the bridge did look like new at midnite.... and you have to remeber.. here in the desert if its under 35 yrs old we think its new.....
Havasu Lvr. if I showed pictues of why I was up at 3:30am i would have to move :rollside:
Just remember things that happen in havasu get published all around the world