PDA

View Full Version : Why disposable everything?

FMluvswater
01-11-2006, 05:11 PM
In this supposed age of increased environmental awareness? :confused:

Boy Named Sue
01-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Is this the kind of thing that keeps you up at nite Ivy?

Jbb
01-11-2006, 06:26 PM
There are forces at work....right now....wanting to dispose of...Brown.... :220v:

Ziggy
01-11-2006, 06:30 PM
In this supposed age of increased environmental awareness? :confused:
I've witnessed it first hand with my son.....Buys things to use once and leave behind, whereas I clean and reuse until I can't anymore.....
The younger generation I've found to be very wasteful with certain goods.
I suppose I understand my mother more now, they having grown up during WWII and not having much of anything during wartime(let alone their lives) it makes so much more sense why she saved every little bag, button, sock, etc.

FMluvswater
01-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Is this the kind of thing that keeps you up at nite Ivy?
... and so much more. :redface:

FMluvswater
01-11-2006, 06:48 PM
I've witnessed it first hand with my son.....Buys things to use once and leave behind, whereas I clean and reuse until I can't anymore.....
The younger generation I've found to be very wasteful with certain goods.
I suppose I understand my mother more now, they having grown up during WWII and not having much of anything during wartime(let alone their lives) it makes so much more sense why she saved every little bag, button, sock, etc.
Do we really need Swiffer? Or furniture wipes etc.? Flushable toilet brushes? Just wonder where they think it'll all end up.

LHC30Victory
01-11-2006, 06:53 PM
This is quite a relief knowing that others feel this way also! I am tired of having things that are cheaper to throw away and replace than to repair. The recycling is a good start, but I believe that we must do more to reduce that which cannot be recycled.
I am no tree hugger, but I try to be aware of the impact we all have on the environment. Scouting for 17 years does that to a person. Ya ever seen an area where over 18 THOUSAND scouts and leaders backpack for only three months? In the national Boy Scout Ranch (Philmont), New Mexico the trails and surrounding areas are PRISTINE! A little care goes a long way to keep our world the way it should be!
Pics coming...after the next 7&7 :)

Ziggy
01-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Do we really need Swiffer? Or furniture wipes etc.? Flushable toilet brushes? Just wonder where they think it'll all end up.
Need? No. But nice to rid yourself of the germs you do wipe up. The flushables are biodegradable at least, yet the resourses used to create those handy dandy products are not replenished thru recycling.
I do my part with papers, cans/bottle, green clippings, but I think human nature tends to get sloppy when it becomes too much effort. We're all guilty to some degree.

LHC30Victory
01-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Ziggy, are you THAT afraid of GERMS? I grew up with a lot of stuff people believe will kill you these days and I'm OK (just don't talk about mental states). Dont y'all know that exposure to that stuff is what SAVES you by building anti-bodies?
This PC stuff is TOOOMUCH.
Hey, Mimi, get me another 7&7 :)

FMluvswater
01-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Need? No. But nice to rid yourself of the germs you do wipe up. The flushables are biodegradable at least, yet the resourses used to create those handy dandy products are not replenished thru recycling.
I do my part with papers, cans/bottle, green clippings, but I think human nature tends to get sloppy when it becomes too much effort. We're all guilty to some degree.
I know. I'm not above using disposable products. It just struck me as contradictory.

FMluvswater
01-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Ziggy, are you THAT afraid of GERMS? I grew up with a lot of stuff people believe will kill you these days and I'm OK (just don't talk about mental states). Dont y'all know that exposure to that stuff is what SAVES you by building anti-bodies?
Yeah if the germs weren't super germs that even highly potent drugs can't fight. There's only so much our immune systems (in optimum health) can accomplish.

LHC30Victory
01-11-2006, 07:40 PM
They are "super" germs because we have treated them to be that. If we left them alone and just gotten over the illnesses, perhaps we wouldn't be in the fix we are in. Darwin applies to germs as well as mammals.

FMluvswater
01-11-2006, 09:08 PM
They are "super" germs because we have treated them to be that. If we left them alone and just gotten over the illnesses, perhaps we wouldn't be in the fix we are in. Darwin applies to germs as well as mammals.
Yeah. :(

Ziggy
01-11-2006, 09:54 PM
No Ted, I ain't afraid of them little green monsters. The thought of sanitary use and simplicity is what's attractive to people, naturally.
I'm of the theory to take as little antibiotics unless I'm in grave state. So far this year my daughter and wife have and are currently going through flu types colds which my body has bypassed(I felt 'em but never got sick).
Ironically, my brother is a PharmD.
I could've used a drink ealier....

LHC30Victory
01-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Hope they all get better soon.

Ziggy
01-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Hope they all get better soon.
Thanks, daughter is about over it and wife is hatin' it still.....another day for her probably.

Boy Named Sue
01-11-2006, 10:37 PM
I know what I would love to dispose of....

Boy Named Sue
01-11-2006, 10:38 PM
....the preliminaries!