PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Authors (boating related)

Debbolas
08-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Joseph Wambaugh
I am re-reading all of his books and think he should write a book about the river from a "boatcop's" point of view.......
Stuart Woods
Tom Clancy
any others you all can think of?

lewiville
08-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Salty Piece of Land
Jimmy Buffett

XTRM22
08-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Salty Piece of Land
Jimmy Buffett
That's where I was heading to, so I'll say "Tales from Margaritaville" some boat stories.
Chuck

Debbolas
08-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks!
Jimmy Buffett
I haven't read him yet, LOVE his music, have it on my mp3 player :D
any others?
;)

Her454
08-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Mark Twaine......................
Huck Fin.............Kinda boating/raft related. :rollside:

Debbolas
08-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Mark Twaine......................
Huck Fin.............Kinda boating/raft related. :rollside:
LOL
:D
I have to go buy that for my 16yr old for her English Class this year, it's a good book. I was at a bookstore once and this weird guy came in and started yelling that they HAVE to take that book off the shelf because it uses the "N" word.
:rolleyes:

Her454
08-09-2006, 01:07 PM
LOL
I have to go buy that for my 16yr old for her English Class this year, it's a good book. I was at a bookstore once and this weird guy came in and started yelling that they HAVE to take that book off the shelf because it uses the "N" word.
His cabin is right up the hill from my house. Its a historical monument on the way to Angels Camp, Ca.......home of the Calaveras Jumping Frog which he also wrote about.
See, Mullet Mountain is famous for more than just our moonshine. :rollside:

Chestah Cheetah
08-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Blue Thunder by Thomas Burdick - about Don Aronow
Sea Race by John Crise - a huge book with a large collection of offshore racing history.
Legend of Mercury
Legend of Chris Craft
Iron Fist - The Lives of Carl Kiekhaefer (all 3 by Jeff Rodengen) Iron Fist alone is worth reading even if you're not a boater - the guy was a paranoid freak but an amazing industrialist.
Yes, I threw my t.v. out. :rollside:

Racer277
08-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Legend of Mercury
Iron Fist - The Lives of Carl Kiekhaefer (all 3 by Jeff Rodengen) Iron Fist alone is worth reading even if you're not a boater - the guy was a paranoid freak but an amazing industrialist.
These two are pretty redundant. Iron Fist being much better and detailed. Nice Pics in the Legend book though.
I'll try the Aronow book.
Clive Cussler is good, and an AZ resident.

Her454
08-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Actually Deb, maybe you know this book...........started reading it about 10 years ago, maybe more and then lost the damn book half way into it and never finished reading it............
Can't remember who the author was or even the name but it was about 2 couples that sailed to an Island called Palyrma I believe. One of the couples supplies ran short, they robbed and killed the other couple with the nice boat and I dont know if they ever got away with it or not................supposed to be a true story...... anyone familiar with it?

Chestah Cheetah
08-09-2006, 01:20 PM
These two are pretty redundant. Iron Fist being much better and detailed. Nice Pics in the Legend book though.
Agreed! Chris Craft had way too much repetive info by going into detail, for every model year, the models (and all features) offered.
Iron Fist I loved just for the stories about Carl. I read the first 1/2 (about 300 pages) on a flight to Europe last year. Tough to put down...I should have slept a bit on the plane, jet lag messed me up for 3 days.
You will enjoy Blue Thunder. I did pick up another book about Aronow (Speed Kills) but I couldn't get past the first two chapters...terrible.
Who is Clive Cussler?

Racer277
08-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Who is Clive Cussler?
Fiction writer. Nothing like the other books.
Just fun stuff.
I knew I checked the Aronow books before. $100, damn, well it is a lot of hours of entertainment...

Jbb
08-09-2006, 01:44 PM
I read the works of literary juggernaut T.Bad Brown........His expose on the correlation theory of the effects of bran and cheddar on the intestinal tract......was a work of pure genius!

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Agreed! Chris Craft had way too much repetive info by going into detail, for every model year, the models (and all features) offered.
Iron Fist I loved just for the stories about Carl. I read the first 1/2 (about 300 pages) on a flight to Europe last year. Tough to put down...I should have slept a bit on the plane, jet lag messed me up for 3 days.
You will enjoy Blue Thunder. I did pick up another book about Aronow (Speed Kills) but I couldn't get past the first two chapters...terrible.
Who is Clive Cussler?
Clive Cussler wrote the book that the movie SAHARA was done about. It came out a year or so ago.....
<-------- husband reads every Cussler book.

Chestah Cheetah
08-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Clive Cussler wrote the book that the movie SAHARA was done about. It came out a year or so ago.....
Didn't they have a nice Sunseeker in that movie?

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Didn't they have a nice Sunseeker in that movie?
Not sure what kind of boat it was....they pulled the Panama with it though! :rolleyes: :rollside:

Chestah Cheetah
08-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Let's make this boating related :rollside:
I read the works of literary juggernaut T.Bad Brown........His expose on the correlation theory of the effects of bran and cheddar on the intestinal tract WORKING ITS WAY FROM THE OUTER CHINES TO THE TRANSOM THROUGH THE PROPWASH TO CREATE A PEACH COLORED CAVITATION EFFECT......was a work of pure genius!

Racer277
08-09-2006, 01:57 PM
That's the guy.
All his books written with ocean setting.
He has written a few non-fic, mostly finding ship wrecks, he has an organization that finds old ship wrecks (most notably the Hunley)...

Jbb
08-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Let's make this boating related :rollside:
I got a better idea.....Lets make it ....what ever I want it to be ...related... :)

Chestah Cheetah
08-09-2006, 02:16 PM
I knew I checked the Aronow books before. $100, damn, well it is a lot of hours of entertainment...
Don't get me started...asking $180 for SeaRace. Getting pricier than text books. You still learn good stuff: Odell Lewis, Mercury race driver and ex-alligator wrestler couldn't swim. The guy was also deathly afraid of running at night and sharks - this is what drove him to be fast and win.

Debbolas
08-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Actually Deb, maybe you know this book...........started reading it about 10 years ago, maybe more and then lost the damn book half way into it and never finished reading it............
Can't remember who the author was or even the name but it was about 2 couples that sailed to an Island called Palyrma I believe. One of the couples supplies ran short, they robbed and killed the other couple with the nice boat and I dont know if they ever got away with it or not................supposed to be a true story...... anyone familiar with it?
doesn't sound familar.....I will look it up....:D

Debbolas
08-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Ok, here is one I'm going to try........Surface Tension and it's about:
Subjects
Women sailors -- Fiction
Boats and boating -- Fiction
Stripteasers -- Fiction
Salvage -- Fiction
Florida -- Fiction
by this author
Kling, Christine

BajaMike
08-09-2006, 03:34 PM
All of John D. Macdonald's Travis McGee novels (fiction) are great. Travis McGee lives on a houseboat in Fort Lauderdale, often journeys to the Bahama's or the keys with a boat load of girls, he's part boat bum, part private detective, part philospher. All great stories!
:rollside:
Here are some reviews from Amazon....
Book Description
TRAVIS McGEE
He's a self-described beach bum who won his houseboat in a card game. He's also a knight errant who's wary of credit cards, retirement benefits, political parties, mortgages, and television. He only works when his cash runs out and his rule is simple: he'll help you find whatever was taken from you, as long as he can keep half....
With an introduction by CARL HIAASEN
JOHN D. MACDONALD
"....the great entertainer of our age, and a mesmerizing storyteller."
--STEPHEN KING
"....a master storyteller, a masterful suspense writer."
--MARY HIGGINS CLARK
"....a dominant influence on writers crafting the continuing series character."
--SUE GRAFTON
"....my favorite novelist of all time."
--DEAN KOONTZ
"...the consummate pro, a master storyteller and witty observer."
--JONATHAN KELLERMAN
"...remains one of my idols."
--DONALD WESTLAKE
THE TRAVIS McGEE SERIES
"...one of the great sagas in American fiction."
--ROBERT B. PARKER
"...what a joy that these timeless and treasured novels are available again."
--ED McBAIN

BajaMike
08-09-2006, 03:41 PM
I'll try the Aronow book.
Clive Cussler is good, and an AZ resident.
I used to read Clive Cussler, because he is all about aviation and boating, but his books have gotten so far fetched they are un-readable..... :cry:

Debbolas
08-09-2006, 03:45 PM
All of John D. Macdonald's Travis McGee novels (fiction) are great. Travis McGee lives on a houseboat in Fort Lauderdale, often journeys to the Bahama's or the keys with a boat load of girls, he's part boat bum, part private detective, part philospher. All great stories!
Here are some reviews from Amazon....
Book Description
TRAVIS McGEE
He's a self-described beach bum who won his houseboat in a card game. He's also a knight errant who's wary of credit cards, retirement benefits, political parties, mortgages, and television. He only works when his cash runs out and his rule is simple: he'll help you find whatever was taken from you, as long as he can keep half....
With an introduction by CARL HIAASEN
JOHN D. MACDONALD
"....the great entertainer of our age, and a mesmerizing storyteller."
--STEPHEN KING
"....a master storyteller, a masterful suspense writer."
--MARY HIGGINS CLARK
"....a dominant influence on writers crafting the continuing series character."
--SUE GRAFTON
"....my favorite novelist of all time."
--DEAN KOONTZ
"...the consummate pro, a master storyteller and witty observer."
--JONATHAN KELLERMAN
"...remains one of my idols."
--DONALD WESTLAKE
THE TRAVIS McGEE SERIES
"...one of the great sagas in American fiction."
--ROBERT B. PARKER
"...what a joy that these timeless and treasured novels are available again."
--ED McBAIN
I LOVE Carl Haasen:)
John Macdonald 1918-1987, is he dead?
I found The Deep Blue and Long Lavender Look.....I will check them out tomorrow...Thanks!:D
Clive Cussler is a bit far fetched :rolleyes: I like the one where at the end of the book he drives this underwater bulldozer across the Pacific surviving on a moldy bologna sandwich and is ok :rolleyes:

Ziggy
08-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Coast Gaurd Regulations :p

Old Texan
08-09-2006, 04:10 PM
I found The Deep Blue and Long Lavender Look.....I will check them out tomorrow...Thanks!:D
Clive Cussler is a bit far fetched :rolleyes: I like the one where at the end of the book he drives this underwater bulldozer across the Pacific surviving on a moldy bologna sandwich and is ok :rolleyes:
A lot of John D. fans have a new Florida writer/hero who has a 12 book series about marine biologist ex CIA guy Doc Ford. Look for Randy Wayne White. Randy's an ex fishing guide that wrote a bunch for Outsider magazine.
Doc's good buddy Tomlinson lives on a sail boat and the whole thing revolves around a quaint marina in south FL.
http://docford.com/index.asp
Also an author named Tom Corcoran whose adventure series is based in Key West.
http://www.tomcorcoran.net/tomcorcoranmain.htm
Michael Connelly's detective series with Harry Bosch is set in LA and a couple novels, one- Blood Work, that had Clint Eastwood starring in the movie version as a police profiler chasing a serial killer was set on and around Catalina
http://www.michaelconnelly.com/Book_Collection/book_collection.html

BajaMike
08-09-2006, 04:12 PM
A lot of John D. fans have a new Florida writer/hero who has a 12 book series about marine biologist ex CIA guy Doc Ford. Look for Randy Wayne White. Randy's an ex fishing guide that wrote a bunch for Outsider magazine.
Doc's good buddy Tomlinson lives on a sail boat and the whole thing revolves around a quaint marina in south FL.
http://docford.com/index.asp
Also an author named Tom Corcoran whose adventure series is based in Key West.
http://www.tomcorcoran.net/tomcorcoranmain.htm
Michael Connelly's detective series with Harry Bosch is set in LA and a couple novels, one- Blood Work, that had Clint Eastwood starring in the movie version as a police profiler chasing a serial killer was set on and around Catalina
http://www.michaelconnelly.com/Book_Collection/book_collection.html
Thanks for the info....I've read all the John D. MacDonald books.

Tom Brown
08-09-2006, 04:17 PM
I am re-reading all of his books and think he should write a book about the river from a "boatcop's" point of view.......
May I suggest, "Red Nose Dave and the Silver Bullet Caper" as a title?

Debbolas
08-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks!
I've read Michael Connely, he's good (a bit depressing)
My dad is always trying to get me to read Larry MacMurtery novels...........(Terms of Enderment) NOW THAT's depressing;)
I will check out John Mac Donald, Randy White and Tom Corcoran.....I'm limited to our local library for books.... :rolleyes: In Screams defense I can go through a good book in a day, and that gets expensive;)

Tom Brown
08-09-2006, 04:19 PM
I got a better idea.....Lets make it ....what ever I want it to be ...related... :)
Teddy sniffing glue? :idea:

BajaMike
08-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Carl Haasen is great...and very funny!
John D. MacDonald is dead. The books with a color in the title are the Travis McGee books and the only ones to read.....don't bother with "Condominium" or the other ones....a waste of time. But all the Travis McGee are good, including the two you mention.
Also....
Nightmare in Pink
A Purple Place for Dying
The Quick Red Fox
A Deadly Shade of Gold
Bright Orange for the Shroad
Darker then Amber
One Fearfull Yellow Eye
Pale Gray for Guilt
The Girl in the Plain Brown Wrapper
Dress her in Indigo
The Long Lavender Look
A Tan and Sandy Silence
The Scarlet Ruse
The Turquoise Lament
The Dreadfull Yellow Sky
The empty copper sea
The Green Ripper
Free Fall In Crimson
Cinnamon Skin
The Lonely Silver Rain
(see...all have colors in the title).
:boxed:

Debbolas
08-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Coast Gaurd Regulations :p
Ya funny man you!
;)
May I suggest, "Red Nose Dave and the Silver Bullet Caper" as a title?
Just this forum is RIPE for novel material....:D
The setting could be Parker with a BoatCop who has "seen it all".....:D
Or Havasu with the Silly City Council regulating itself out of the tourist business....:D

Tom Brown
08-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Screams defense I can go through a good book in a day, and that gets expensive;)
It's too bad you weren't around here when RiverDave was in his early 20s, he owned a Nordic back then, it would do 72 mph, and military veterans didn't come around because the flame wars caused them to have flashbacks to Vietnam.
You would have loved it! http://www.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif :D

Jbb
08-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Teddy sniffing glue? :idea:
Tom....Please stay on topic..... :mad:

Tom Brown
08-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Tom....Please stay on topic..... :mad:
I'm sorry.
I hope the moderators don't MMD me right off the site. :(

Sportin' Wood
08-09-2006, 05:09 PM
What about Ernest fawkin Hemingway Jeeze! :)

burtandnancy
08-09-2006, 05:14 PM
CHESTA - Thats Sea Race by John Crouse (not Crise) and I'll sell you a perfect copy for half price...

Chestah Cheetah
08-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Right you are Burt - Crouse it is. I was thinking of Red Crise, the offshore race promoter. By the way, they were "asking" $180 for the book on Amazon I think it was. I did some research, found John Crouse, called him personally and I got it for $60. The book didn't show for months so when I called him back he sent another. Now I have two. I offered to ship it back (all 15lbs, LOL) but he said just give it to someone who cannot afford it. When I meet someone as interested as me in this stuff, I'll pass it on.
Side note: Crouse is an extremely interesting conversation and has a WEALTH of information to share - My first conversation with him was probably 2 hours on the phone.
BajaMike: Can you suggest your favorite title from John D.?

burtandnancy
08-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Chester, you're right, John is a very interesting man. When he was working for Powerboat Magazine, I flew to Florida to meet him and look at a boat a friend of his had for sale (wish I had bought it). He seemed to know everyone in offshore racing in those days and had lots of fun stories. Miss his writings...

BajaMike
08-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Right you are Burt - Crouse it is. I was thinking of Red Crise, the offshore race promoter. By the way, they were "asking" $180 for the book on Amazon I think it was. I did some research, found John Crouse, called him personally and I got it for $60. The book didn't show for months so when I called him back he sent another. Now I have two. I offered to ship it back (all 15lbs, LOL) but he said just give it to someone who cannot afford it. When I meet someone as interested as me in this stuff, I'll pass it on.
Side note: Crouse is an extremely interesting conversation and has a WEALTH of information to share - My first conversation with him was probably 2 hours on the phone.
I'll have to look Crouse.
My list above is pretty much in order they were written....I think every one is good, and going through them in the order written is kind of fun, but you don't have to. Watch out, you will get hooked.
It's great reading with a lot of interesting social commentary and philosophy thrown in with the sex, drugs and violence.
Most were written in the late 60's and 70's, but the commentary is still relevant today, 40 years later.
And many of them delve into some hobby/avocation that the "victim" was involved in and you become and expert in. It could be underwater treasure hunting (Travis McGee's occupation on his Florida drivers license is "Salvage Expert") or cuban cigars.
All are great books! :idea:

Chestah Cheetah
08-09-2006, 09:46 PM
I just started Sea Race (page 98...) and loving it. Good history and even better hilarious stories. John did say he is working on another book to chronicle the life, times, and hijinks of all the racers from back in those days. Hope he gets a chance to finish it soon.

BajaMike
08-09-2006, 09:50 PM
If anyone wants to read one of John D.'s books, PM your address and I'll put one in the mail to you....Just return it or pass it on after reading it.
I go to a used book store in San Clemente and I get them cheap and I've already read them, so I just keep it or share it.

Chestah Cheetah
08-09-2006, 09:56 PM
If anyone wants to read one of John D.'s books, PM your address and I'll put one in the mail to you....Just return it or pass it on after reading it.
I go to a used book store in San Clemente and I get them cheap and I've already read them, so I just keep it or share it.
Thanks for the tip and the offer. I like to purchase and keep most of the books I read...hoping for a big library when I'm 90. :) I will place an order online tommorow.

BajaMike
08-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the tip and the offer. I like to purchase and keep most of the books I read...hoping for a big library when I'm 90. :) I will place an order online tommorow.
Check out your local used book store....his books were big in the 60s and 70s, and have just recently made a big comeback, so lots of them are in the used book stores.
It will cost you $6 to $7 on Amazon, $1 to $2 at a used book store.
Good luck...have fun.....nothing like sitting on a beach in the Bahamas, with a beer, and Cuban cigar, and a Travis Mcgee book and your girl reading some lame romance novel.....now that's a vacation!!!

Chestah Cheetah
08-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Just ordered "The Deep Blue Goodbye" from Amazon for a $1.49...with $3.50 shipping. :rolleyes:

RiverToysJas
08-10-2006, 09:50 AM
I have read all the Clive Cussler books he wrote himself. I'm not such a big fan of the newer stuff though. Except the Sea Hunter series. I have both of those.
I just started on Patrick O'Brien's Master and Commander series. It's taken a little time to get used to his style, but I like it a lot.
Buffet's Salty Piece of Land was OK IMHO.....I don't think I ever finished it though.
RTJas :D

BajaMike
08-10-2006, 11:51 AM
I have read all the Clive Cussler books he wrote himself. I'm not such a big fan of the newer stuff though. Except the Sea Hunter series. I have both of those.
I just started on Patrick O'Brien's Master and Commander series. It's taken a little time to get used to his style, but I like it a lot.
Buffet's Salty Piece of Land was OK IMHO.....I don't think I ever finished it though.
The Patrick O'Brien books are great. I've read or listened to most them on on audio books. You can buy the audio books on ITunes. I've listened to them driving to the river, and it's great, makes the trip "sail" on by.

Debbolas
08-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Just ordered "The Deep Blue Goodbye" from Amazon for a $1.49...with $3.50 shipping. :rolleyes:
Just got back from the library with all my "boating related books" :D
RTJas
They were OUT of THAT one....... :rolleyes:

Her454
08-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Hey Deb, thanks for this thread, it made me go back and look and I found it.....now Im going to finish the book, its awsome...............
Vincent Bugliosi, Author of AND THE SEA WILL TELL............About this title: Bugliosi, prosecutor of Charles Manson and the coauthor of Helter Skelter, delivers this incredible story of a couple who disappeared from a tropical island in 1974. Seven years later, a young woman visiting Palmyra found an odd aluminum container, apparently washed up out of the lagoon, and something glinting in the sand beside it: a gold tooth in a human skull. These are the stark facts at the heart of the most intriguing true murder mystery of our time. Sold to Columbia Pictures TV for the highest amount ever paid for book rights in a TV miniseries; scheduled to be a 3-part CBS series

Debbolas
08-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Hey Deb, thanks for this thread, it made me go back and look and I found it.....now Im going to finish the book, its awsome...............
Vincent Bugliosi, Author of AND THE SEA WILL TELL............About this title: Bugliosi, prosecutor of Charles Manson and the coauthor of Helter Skelter, delivers this incredible story of a couple who disappeared from a tropical island in 1974. Seven years later, a young woman visiting Palmyra found an odd aluminum container, apparently washed up out of the lagoon, and something glinting in the sand beside it: a gold tooth in a human skull. These are the stark facts at the heart of the most intriguing true murder mystery of our time. Sold to Columbia Pictures TV for the highest amount ever paid for book rights in a TV miniseries; scheduled to be a 3-part CBS series
Sounds Good!! I'm going to get THAT one next week:D
Surface Tension sounds good by Christine King (about women sailors:D)

Debbolas
08-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Bump for my Canada Gal
;)
Hey FM? What time is it?

FMluvswater
08-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Bump for my Canada Gal
;)
Hey FM? What time is it?
Whatever time you tell me it is riiiiight ... NOW!!! :D

Debbolas
08-11-2006, 04:17 PM
5:18
see it's two minutes faster down here:D

bocco
08-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Who is Clive Cussler?
Clive Cussler writes adventure type books. Mostly about a charater named Dirk Pitt. Pitt is an agent for the National Underwater Marine Association. Makes James Bond look like a wimp. Yes, Sahara is one of the "Dirk Pitt" adventures. Kind of cheesy but fun reading.

Debbolas
08-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Ok, who is Disco Duck?
really? :rolleyes:

FMluvswater
08-11-2006, 04:28 PM
5:18
see it's two minutes faster down here:D
what if that means we're not really in the same time zone afterall? :220v:

FMluvswater
08-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Ok, who is Disco Duck?
really? :rolleyes:
who? thought it was just a silly song :eek:

Debbolas
08-11-2006, 04:41 PM
what if that means we're not really in the same time zone afterall? :220v:
I KNOW!!!
Kinda messes with your head, huh!
disco duck has no posts and pm'd me............suggested a book.....just wondering who he/she was/is and what their boat looks like :D

FMluvswater
08-11-2006, 04:52 PM
I KNOW!!!
Kinda messes with your head, huh!
disco duck has no posts and pm'd me............suggested a book.....just wondering who he/she was/is and what their boat looks like :D
:eek: You sounded a lil bit like me up there! Freaky! :D Didn't know you could do text impersonations, Deb. :wink:
maybe Disco Duck isn't into posting but wanted to help you out? :smile: not everybody likes to post

Debbolas
08-11-2006, 04:57 PM
:eek: You sounded a lil bit like me up there! Freaky! :D Didn't know you could do text impersonations, Deb. :wink:
maybe Disco Duck isn't into posting but wanted to help you out? :smile: not everybody likes to post
good point, I will give them the benefit of the doubt....
Debbolas<----NOT suspicious:D
I'm making Chicken Parmesan for dinner and It is going to be GOOD!!! I made my own breadcrumbs and pounded the breasts flat for better frying, before I top it with my homemade sauce and put it in the oven.....How long would it take you to get here for dinner?

FMluvswater
08-11-2006, 05:02 PM
good point, I will give them the benefit of the doubt....
Debbolas<----NOT suspicious:D
I'm making Chicken Parmesan for dinner and It is going to be GOOD!!! I made my own breadcrumbs and pounded the breasts flat for better frying, before I top it with my homemade sauce and put it in the oven.....How long would it take you to get here for dinner?
:squiggle: :cry: 24 hours to Stockton plus however long a drive it is to your house from there! Someday Deb. :clover:

Debbolas
08-11-2006, 05:08 PM
:squiggle: :cry: 24 hours to Stockton plus however long a drive it is to your house from there! Someday Deb. :clover:
:clover: You're on!!! :D
Ok...........now the hummingbird is drinking from the feeder :rolleyes:

FMluvswater
08-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Ok...........now the hummingbird is drinking from the feeder :rolleyes:
maybe it fermented into mild wine and they ARE getting buzzed! :D LMAO!

Debbolas
08-11-2006, 05:10 PM
maybe it fermented into mild wine and they ARE getting buzzed! :D LMAO!
That's what I was thinking!!!
and my daughter says they probably speak french, THAT'S why I can't read their sky-writing:D

FMluvswater
08-11-2006, 05:19 PM
my daughter says they probably speak french, THAT'S why I can't read their sky-writing:D
she's funny! LMAO! :D

Debbolas
08-11-2006, 05:21 PM
K, I gotta go, have a nice night, talk to ya later :D
:clover:
:skull: :crossx: :skull:
:crossx: :skull: :crossx:

FMluvswater
08-11-2006, 05:23 PM
K, I gotta go, have a nice night, talk to ya later :D
:clover:
:skull: :crossx: :skull:
:crossx: :skull: :crossx:
Have a good night and a good weekend Deb. :smile: TTYL. (I won't be on much after this if at all until Monday).

Debbolas
08-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Hey!
I finished Surface Tension by Christine Kling....good book, you can tell it is her first book by her writing style. I've never read a book from her viewpoint before.....I look forward to more of her work....
I also finished The Deep Blue Good-by by John D. MacDonald...excellent book. Written in the early 60's so his take on the sexual revolution and the womens movement is very interesting. He is an GREAT writer, very descriptive, I can't wait to read more of his work! :D

Riomouse911
08-14-2006, 06:52 PM
A great easy reading book that is amazingly funny is "The boat that wouldn't float" by Farley Mowatt. A personal tale of a cranky Newfoundland fishing boat he bought and repaired (or tried to). Another great true story he wrote is "The grey seas under" It's about rescue tugs from Halifax harbour saving merchant vessels in the Atlantic during WWII. I've read almost every title he's penned, and Farley's easily my most read author. The Jimmy Buffet tales are also good reading on a lighter scale.... Amazon.com should have them used for about 8 bucks....

Never Too Old
08-14-2006, 07:02 PM
A great easy reading book that is amazingly funny is "The boat that wouldn't float" by Farley Mowatt. A personal tale of a cranky Newfoundland fishing boat he bought and repaired (or tried to). Another great true story he wrote is "The grey seas under" It's about rescue tugs from Halifax harbour saving merchant vessels in the Atlantic during WWII. I've read almost every title he's penned, and Farley's easily my most read author. The Jimmy Buffet tales are also good reading on a lighter scale.... Amazon.com should have them used for about 8 bucks....
Read both of those. I've given Grey Seas Under to a couple of boating friends.
How about Wilbur Smith? Birds of Prey is one of his. Hungry As The Sea is a good one also.

Debbolas
08-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Just finished two more John Mac Donald books, I'm very impressed with his writing....:D

Racer277
08-21-2006, 07:38 PM
How about Wilbur Smith? Birds of Prey is one of his. Hungry As The Sea is a good one also.
That's right.
He had a number of books using marine salvage as a background.
Good stuff, interesting pov on S Africa if I recall.
I should take a look again.
Thanks all, this is a good thread.

Panic Button
08-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Searace- Pick a copy up from John's website for $49 & autographed. He is working on Searace 2 which is just about finished. He said it was about 800 pages and is more indepth with drugs, mafia and other illegal activities.
King of Thunderboat Road
Speed Kills
Blue Thunder

Racer277
08-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Awesome, Thanks!
http://www.searace-crouse.com/
Searace- Pick a copy up from John's website for $49 & autographed. He is working on Searace 2 which is just about finished. He said it was about 800 pages and is more indepth with drugs, mafia and other illegal activities.
King of Thunderboat Road
Speed Kills
Blue Thunder

Debbolas
08-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Just finished "The Lonely Silver Rain" by John D. MacDonald
Excellent book, I'm sorry, but I think it was his last:(
Michael Connelly wrote a great book called "Void Moon" about Vegas and women cat burglers.....
There is a good computer hacker/spy book called "The Cuckoo's Egg" by Clifford Stoll, he also wrote " The blue Nowhere" about the internet and social engineering.....

Debbolas
08-31-2006, 05:25 PM
Just finished Pale Gray for Guilt by John D. MacDonald (GREAT writer:D)
Starting the book Traci recomended " And the Sea will Tell"
Very good so far.....I really want to go on an extended boat trip (just not with any psycho killers) ;)

Debbolas
09-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Just finished "And the Sea will tell" good book, I enjoyed the island part better than the trial part. Interesting perspective on island living...
Now I'm reading "Jimmy Buffett - Salty piece of land"
I really like it so far and have decided to become a pirate and live on an island:D

Racer277
09-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Just finished "And the Sea will tell" good book, I enjoyed the island part better than the trial part. Interesting perspective on island living...
Now I'm reading "Jimmy Buffett - Salty piece of land"
I really like it so far and have decided to become a pirate and live on an island:D
I see a trip to the Fla Keys in your future. :D
Thanks for the book reviews.

Debbolas
09-07-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm kinda afraid to go............I think I might get there and NEVER leave ;)

Debbolas
09-12-2006, 12:42 PM
LOVED " A Salty Piece of Land " - Jimmy Buffett :D
I saw they made a movie out of "And the Sea will Tell", back in 1991.

Debbolas
01-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Went to the library today and rented "Next" by Michael Crichton. I also borrowed "Nature Girl" by Carl Hiaasen.
I'm off to read :D

Debbolas
01-29-2007, 07:18 AM
I just finished Next by Michael Crichton, and while it's not a boating book, it was very good. Really got me thinking about gene therapy and what happens to your discarded tissue....
Started Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen....

ToMorrow44
01-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Hey everyone I just saw this thread about all these great books. I was wondering where I might be able to find "Blue Thunder" in a new or like-new condition? Or do any of you have a copy that you would be willing to sell? Please let me know if you have any ideas.
Thanks in advance
-Tom

Debbolas
02-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Still reading Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen, :D I like it but there hasn't been a whole lot of time for reading lately:rolleyes:

Debbolas
02-13-2007, 07:48 AM
Nature Girl was great :D
Excellent book by Carl Hiaasen, I highly recomend it. :D

a catered life
02-13-2007, 07:53 AM
dont know who wrote it but i really enjoyed "Debbie does Dallas":D

Debbolas
02-13-2007, 07:56 AM
dont know who wrote it but i really enjoyed "Debbie does Dallas":D
ha ha ha

Liquid Courage
02-13-2007, 09:20 AM
ME!:D
I wrote a book that is west coast version of miami vice, using offshore boats to smuggle drugs from Mexico, undercover cop, love interest, murder, twists, bad guys doing bad things, etc......Just need to get it published.:rolleyes:

Debbolas
02-13-2007, 02:06 PM
ME!:D
I wrote a book that is west coat version of miami vice, using offshore boats to smuggle drugs from Mexico, undercover cop, love interest, murder, twists, bad guys doing bad things, etc......Just need to get it published.:rolleyes:
I will read it :D

Liquid Courage
02-13-2007, 02:09 PM
I will read it :D
My first customer...SWEET!!:D

Debbolas
02-14-2007, 07:14 AM
Can you get it here by tonight? I have JuryDuty tomorrow ;)
and need something to read while I'm waiting to be excused

Liquid Courage
02-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Can you get it here by tonight? I have JuryDuty tomorrow ;)
and need something to read while I'm waiting to be excused
It's only in huge binder form.....By the way, just tell the Jury picker that you don't understand the use for Jury's. If the cop arrested them, then they were surely guilty. "DISMISSED".:eek: :D

FryJet
02-14-2007, 11:26 AM
I read ***boat, its fiction. :eek:
F.J.

Debbolas
02-14-2007, 02:00 PM
It's only in huge binder form.....By the way, just tell the Jury picker that you don't understand the use for Jury's. If the cop arrested them, then they were surely guilty. "DISMISSED".:eek: :D
I'm 47 and have served ONCE on Jury Duty, I'm kinda due:D
I don't think they can use me because my first husband was murdered, but whatever, It's my turn.:idea:

Debbolas
02-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Just finished "Hollywood Station" by Joseph Wambaugh. It was really good. :D
Now I'm reading "Crisis" by Robin Cook.

SB
02-21-2007, 01:35 PM
I read part of a Clive Cussler book once, and quit.
Patrick O'Brien's Master and Commander series are good but kinda slow reading.
I like the Horatio Hornblower series better.
Hornblower : Beat to Quarters by C.S. Forester
Ship of the Line (Hornblower Saga) by C.S. Forester
Flying Colours (Hornblower Saga) by C.S. Forester
Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C. S. Forester
Lord Hornblower (Hornblower Saga) by C.S. Forester

Debbolas
02-21-2007, 02:19 PM
I like the Horatio Hornblower series better.
Hornblower : Beat to Quarters by C.S. Forester
Ship of the Line (Hornblower Saga) by C.S. Forester
Flying Colours (Hornblower Saga) by C.S. Forester
Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C. S. Forester
Lord Hornblower (Hornblower Saga) by C.S. Forester
I'm not a huge Clive Cussler fan, his books seem "too neat" they wrap up in these neat little packages, and everyone is rich, and everything works out.....I will read him if I'm pressed.......Carl Hiaasens new book was awesome! Sometimes he gets distracted and leaves some characters dangling or not completely fleshed out. This one was the best yet!

bordsmnj
02-21-2007, 04:43 PM
carl's stuff is kinda funny isn't it? decent reading. clive cussler i've read just about everything he's ever published. i think you nailed him but i still like it once in a while. sterling hayden's "neptunes car " is a good long read. and if you live on the west coast, richard henry dana jr.'s boook "two years before the mast" is an interesting historical read. i've forgotten all the nakes of the other authors ive read that had anything to do with boating.

Debbolas
02-21-2007, 07:08 PM
I think I will read two years before the mast, I've heard someone else mention that it was good ;)

Seadog
02-22-2007, 08:40 AM
I have read all the Travis McGee series. I have to keep an eye out for re-releases since I wear them out. Another good writer that is into boating is Donald Hamilton of Matt Helm fame. If you Like McDonald, you will like Donald.

Debbolas
02-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Tony Hillerman - The Shape Shifter is my next book:D

BajaMike
02-22-2007, 03:35 PM
I just started reading the original Ian Flemming, James Bond books, written in 1950s.
Really good, just finished Casino Royal and Moonraker, much darker and philisophical then the movies, and very good...kind of like Travis McGee in Europe with a Bentley and no houseboat......:idea:
You can pick them up cheap at any used bookstore.
:)

BajaMike
02-22-2007, 03:41 PM
I read a few Clive Cussler books and gave up......so damn far fetched and unbelievable I couldn't even finish it.
Patrick O'Brians Master and Commander series are great, but I usually listen to them on audio books (on the way to Havasu) because they can go into a lot of detail about the old sailing ships and sailing/warship life.
Carl Hiaasen is alway a crackup!

BajaMike
02-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Just finished "Hollywood Station" by Joseph Wambaugh. It was really good. :D
Now I'm reading "Crisis" by Robin Cook.
Damn, you're reading alot...I wish I had more time to read.
I used to read the Robin Cook books, but the last few I have picked up I thought were just too un-believable.
:idea:

BajaMike
02-24-2007, 01:11 AM
I just got a couple "Jack Reacher" books by Lee Child. I'm reading "Persuader" and can't put it down.
Great, action packed reading....I was up till 5:00 am this morning, finally went to sleep for 2 hours, and had to get up to go to work.:confused:
:)
Good reading!

Debbolas
02-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Yeah, The last Clive Custer I read, the hero drove this underwater tractor across the Pacific and arrived in Hawaii with moldy bologna sandwiches........:rolleyes:
On the weekends if we don't go anywhere I'm busy with the house Friday, I cook all day Saturday and get to relax (read) Sunday. Also if there is nothing good on TV I read.
I will pick up that book you mentioned, if it kept you awake at night, sounds good :D

Debbolas
02-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Just finished Tony Hillermans "The Shape Shifter"
Good book :D

mobldj
02-26-2007, 08:59 PM
anything by that renowned publisher......larry flint...mmmmmmm!

Debbolas
02-27-2007, 06:54 AM
Scream bought a book for me last night from Costco.............
"Step on a Crack" by James Patterson
(not an Alex Cross novel)

Debbolas
04-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Finished J.A. Jance's "Dead Wrong"......I'm working on "Capital Crimes" by Jonathan & Faye Kellerman.
I like JA Jance's work. It's about a woman sherriff working in a small Arizona town.
Scream got me hooked on Stephen Kings "Gunslinger" series on tape/CD/I-pod. We listen to when we drive long distances.

Debbolas
04-09-2007, 06:59 AM
Finished "Step on a Crack" by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge.
Good Book :D

Debbolas
04-12-2007, 06:18 AM
"Deep Storm" by Lincoln Child - about scientific discovery on an oil derrick out in the ocean....(submarines are boats, kinda) Pretty good...
Now I'm reading "Skeleton Coast" by Clive Cussler :D

Debbolas
05-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Skeleton Coast was.......ok.
Now I'm reading "Gone" by Jonathan Kellerman.

Debbolas
05-07-2007, 05:43 AM
Gone was ok :confused:
We are STAR testing at my school so we need something to read while the kids are testing. (It's a bit boring):rolleyes:
My next book.................At Risk by Patricia Cornwell
I head the book "Hollywood Car Wash" is interesting. It's suppose to be about Katie Holmes life before Tom Cruise.:jawdrop:
Someone PLEASE offer up another boat related book, I'm dieing here;)

Seadog
05-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Many of the Alistair McLean novels are boating related. Guns of Navaronne, Ice Station Zebra, HMS Ulysses, to name a few.

Debbolas
05-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Many of the Alistair McLean novels are boating related. Guns of Navaronne, Ice Station Zebra, HMS Ulysses, to name a few.
Ok, I will try him
thanks!

Debbolas
05-08-2007, 05:17 AM
Finished At Risk - Patricia Cornwell.
kinda a short little book. interesting characters......

Debbolas
10-03-2007, 06:42 AM
Bump for FM:D
Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict - Laurie Viera Rigler
(not a boating related author, but a good read);)

Debbolas
10-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Who Stole the Funny - Robby Benson
(not boating related, but funny):D I guess Robby Benson directed about 100 episodes of the "Friends" show.
You've Been Warned - James Patterson
(not boating related, ok, kinda quick and formulated):rolleyes:
I heard "Playing for Pizza" by John Grisham might be good...................:D

RiverToysJas
10-16-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm a little behind.......but I start the first of the Kirt Austin series of Clive Cussler books. Not far enough into it to know if I like it of not (so far so good, but it took nearly 70 pages before Kirt was introduced :rolleyes: ). I'm expecting a Dirk Pitt book with different characters.....we'll see.....

Sleek-Jet
10-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Read North to the Night by Alvah Simon... true story and it's one of my favorite books now.

Debbolas
10-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks!
I'm checking the RC Library for them now :D

RiverToysJas
10-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Read North to the Night by Alvah Simon... true story and it's one of my favorite books now.
Just looked it up, and saw people who bought that also bought:
Adrift: Seventy-six Days Lost at Sea by Steven Callahan
Which I read about 15 years ago. What an incredible story.
There is another I read around the same time about two Brits who rowed a Dory Boat across the Atlantic. That was a good book too. I'll try to find the title....
Neither are spiritual or enlightening, but still good stories about what determined humans can accomplish.

Debbolas
10-16-2007, 03:13 PM
The library doesn't have the "North to the night" book, so I guess I will check Amazon?:idea:

Debbolas
10-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Just finished "Playing for Pizza" by John Grisham.
It's good, I liked it. A little lighter than he use to write. Should be very popular with the guys;)
Now I want to go to Italy :D

~FM
11-28-2007, 09:46 PM
I'm reading The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger. I thought I'd watched the movie but nothing so far seems familiar. :idea: Perhaps I got it confused with the movie White Squall.
I'm enjoying the book so far (p. 120 of 299) although I regret my unfamiliarity with some of the technical explanations; I can't picture in my mind's eye the ship/boat terms he describes. Still an interesting story anyway. :) The cost per pound of swordfish and mako astonished me! :sqeyes: Old prices I'd imagine too; must be even more expensive now. :idea:

Big Warlock
11-29-2007, 05:43 AM
Tom Clancy

Old Texan
11-29-2007, 07:25 AM
I'm reading The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger. I thought I'd watched the movie but nothing so far seems familiar. :idea: Perhaps I got it confused with the movie White Squall.
I'm enjoying the book so far (p. 120 of 299) although I regret my unfamiliarity with some of the technical explanations; I can't picture in my mind's eye the ship/boat terms he describes. Still an interesting story anyway. :) The cost per pound of swordfish and mako astonished me! :sqeyes: Old prices I'd imagine too; must be even more expensive now. :idea:
I read the book before and after the movie. The movie follows the story line to a point but doesn't present all the details you must assume. Watch the movie after reading the book and you'll pickup what's being depicted.

Debbolas
11-29-2007, 08:00 AM
Is that the movie with the scarey huge wave that crosses the boat and capsizes it? (*I HATE THAT WAVE)
:mad:
Deb<----------has nightmares about huge tidal waves, and I use to surf, go figure:confused:

~FM
12-01-2007, 05:33 PM
I read the book before and after the movie. The movie follows the story line to a point but doesn't present all the details you must assume. Watch the movie after reading the book and you'll pickup what's being depicted.
I finished the book the night after I posted and it's clear to me now ... that I should just watch the movie. :D All that talk about the difference between wave behavior in shallow water as opposed to open ocean completely bewildered me. I could comprehend each word individually but not in context of the sentences; it frustrated me that I just could not grasp or visualise the concepts.
Deb, I'm not sure if the scary wave movie you're referring to is The Perfect Storm or something else.

~FM
12-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Last night I read Message In A Bottle by Nicholas Sparks. What a stupid story. :rolleyes: Stupid characters too. I kept reading waiting for it to "get good" and it never did. I just thought at the end, "Well what the hell was the point of THAT?" I did like The Notebook movie based on that author's other book but Message in A Bottle sucked IMO.
Later today gonna watch The Perfect Storm.

Debbolas
12-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Last night I read Message In A Bottle by Nicholas Sparks. What a stupid story. :rolleyes: Stupid characters too. I kept reading waiting for it to "get good" and it never did. I just thought at the end, "Well what the hell was the point of THAT?" I did like The Notebook movie based on that author's other book but Message in A Bottle sucked IMO.
Later today gonna watch The Perfect Storm.
Hated that book, "Message in a Bottle", I actually threw it across the room after I read it. Stupid Book:D
I'm going to try to find time to read a book recommended to me by Mr. Duck, it's called "off the chart" by James Hall. Sounds good :D

~FM
12-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't like Message In A Bottle; I was under the impression it was "popular". :confused:
I watched The Perfect Storm and liked it way better than the book. :cool:
Last night I read a "so not a boating related" book :D called The Measure of A Heart by Janette Oke. Loved it. :) I love all her books so far.

SB
12-04-2007, 11:33 AM
The Lee Child books are great, but not boating related.
He writes kinda like Stephen Hunter (great stuff)