PDA

View Full Version : Need a new carb

75MillerJet
08-09-2006, 02:58 PM
I posted a thread about cracking the base plate on my carb because i'm an idiot and overtightened a bolt, and basically i'm at a stand still. I have no clue what to go with when it comes to carbs or even what my options are at this point. Is my carb no longer able to be used or can it be salvaged? If it comes down to just having to buy a new one what should I look for? Is it too risky to buy used? My setup is pretty basic just a 455 stock cam, heads, with performer intake and log/snail exhaust and formerly an edelbrock 750 cfm... help me guys!

Oldsquirt
08-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Like I posted in your original thread.....CALL Edelbrock. The catalog I have shows that you can buy the upper and lower halves of the main body separately.Got to be less than the price of a new one. Then all you need to do is a little disassembly/reassembly.

75MillerJet
08-09-2006, 06:14 PM
Like I posted in your original thread.....CALL Edelbrock. The catalog I have shows that you can buy the upper and lower halves of the main body separately.Got to be less than the price of a new one. Then all you need to do is a little disassembly/reassembly.
i already did call edelbrock and they were very UNhelpful and didn't even tell me my options they basically just told me i need a new one. is there a store online that sells parts of carbs like this or does everyone just sell whole carbs?

Oldsquirt
08-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Call them back and try the appropriate part number.
If you have a Performer 750 with manual choke(#1407)-- main body = #9923
for Performer 750 with electric choke(#1411)----- main body = #9912
for Marine Performer 750(#1410)---- main body = #9926
These numbers are from a catalog that is a couple years old and these parts are listed as "remanufactured". It is entirely possible they no longer service these part numbers.
I doubt you will find anything but complete carbs at any of the online performance part outlets, but it is always worth a try. They often stock items that are not listed in catalogs or online so best to call.

rerfert
08-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Buy another edelbrock 750 carb on ebay for $50
search for edelbrock 750 there are a few closing in a few days.

75MillerJet
08-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Buy another edelbrock 750 carb on ebay for $50
search for edelbrock 750 there are a few closing in a few days.
i'm just cautious of buying a used carb on eBay... i really don't know anything about carbs so i'm thinking buying new is the better thing to do in my situation... what is there to swapping out bottom halves? is it just unscrewing and rescrewing?

rerfert
08-09-2006, 08:00 PM
i'm just cautious of buying a used carb on eBay... i really don't know anything about carbs so i'm thinking buying new is the better thing to do in my situation... what is there to swapping out bottom halves? is it just unscrewing and rescrewing?
I bought a 750 earlier this year and just had to disasemble it,clean it up,reassemble and dial it in.
I figured I saved $200.
The bottom plate is not like a Quadra-jet...the edelbrock's are one piece bottoms with a removeable top.

cstraub
08-10-2006, 06:43 AM
I posted a thread about cracking the base plate on my carb because i'm an idiot and overtightened a bolt, and basically i'm at a stand still. I have no clue what to go with when it comes to carbs or even what my options are at this point. Is my carb no longer able to be used or can it be salvaged? If it comes down to just having to buy a new one what should I look for? Is it too risky to buy used? My setup is pretty basic just a 455 stock cam, heads, with performer intake and log/snail exhaust and formerly an edelbrock 750 cfm... help me guys!
I've got an 800 Holley off of an HP500 that I was going to use on a 496 project but have since bought LAND instead of new engine. It has all new non stick gaskets and is ready to go. $300. I will will ship it to you.

75MillerJet
08-10-2006, 08:35 PM
I've got an 800 Holley off of an HP500 that I was going to use on a 496 project but have since bought LAND instead of new engine. It has all new non stick gaskets and is ready to go. $300. I will will ship it to you.
can u email pics to dirtwizerd@hotmail.com

Avenger 1975
08-11-2006, 03:16 AM
I suggest you call Jessie at Bigs Performance and tell him your problem. He will know if your carb can be repaired, and would set it up perfectly for you while he had it. I sent my Holley to him for rebuild and they did a great job on it.

75MillerJet
08-11-2006, 11:25 AM
I suggest you call Jessie at Bigs Performance and tell him your problem. He will know if your carb can be repaired, and would set it up perfectly for you while he had it. I sent my Holley to him for rebuild and they did a great job on it.
located in NH?

Blown 472
08-11-2006, 11:29 AM
located in NH?
Wisconsin

75MillerJet
08-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Alright eff it I'm just gonna get a new one... what will go good with my setup guys? Look up top for details

victorfb
08-11-2006, 07:53 PM
if you liked the edelbrock, stick with it. im betting you took it out the box (originally) and ran it with no problems. the two i have used needed no jetting changes or anything. since the motor liked it before, it will like the new one. now, if you want to go holley i would suggest a 750 vacume secondary (i know, everyone wants a double pumper). on my olds 455 i did swap over to the holley. bought one from the recycler (free ads) for $75 and it looked brand new. i bolted it on and it didnt need a darn thing. i dont think i even needed to adjust the idle. yes i got lucky, but with those carbs they come pretty close to what your application is. the double pumper MAY give you a bit more acceloration, but i doubt it. not with a stock 455. obviously these are just my opinions and others will vary. currantly i am building a 454 BBC with 7.5-1 compression, peanut heads (gen6) and small cam (GM 2296 factory roller), performer intake and i will be bolting an edelbrock 600 on it. yep a 600cfm. it wont see 5000 rpm and doesnt need that big of a carb, plus it will get the 20' kachina jet killer fuel economy. over carbing is all too common. IMHO. good luck and keep us posted.