PDA

View Full Version : V-Drive Oil

Fired Up
01-14-2002, 10:41 PM
What oil is best used in a v-drive. At the races I see crews putting in the Synergen (spelling?) oil that looks red. Almost resembles tranny fluid. Any recommendations for a good high performance lubricant?

pgf127rt
01-15-2002, 04:03 AM
Firedup, if you are just going to run the 1/4 mile run the synthetic, if you are going to lake boat it run the heavier gear oil.
we ran the syn. oil in our casale and never had a problem, but it ran a 1/4 at a time with no cooling, after a run I could feel the box and it was kinda warm, so I don't think it would be wise to run it in a prolonged run situation.my.02

Stab-n-Steer
01-15-2002, 06:30 AM
Fired Up,
I would recommend the Redline product line.
For your V-drive use Redline's "Shock Proof" gear oil. It comes in 3 weights. The superLight oil rated as a 70W90 Gear Oil, but has the lower internal fluid friction of an ATF. This is what the racers would use. For a lake boat use a heavier grade. Redline products are used extensively by NASCAR and NHRA teams even when they are sponsored by other oil companies due to the superior performance.
Their engine oils are also worth considering. The only kicker is not to use Redline on a brand new engine. Break it in on conventional oil. Redline lubricates so well that it doesn't allow the rings to seat properly...
S&S

01-15-2002, 10:01 AM
I use Redline 70w-90 gear oil in an uncooled split case Casale. The box runs cool to the touch even after running for an hour or more. Even if it wasn't 'cool to the touch' all gear oil is made to run at temps as much as 250F. My Kenworth's transmisson running petro. based 85w-140 gets to 230F on hot days and runs like that for hours at a time.

shirkey4750
01-15-2002, 02:16 PM
I run the 70w-90w Redline with a little pro-blend trans. additive in my hydro split case. Run all day and it just barely gets warm.

Costello
01-15-2002, 08:12 PM
I recall a test done by CVDCOA wherein they ran a thermometer in one of the water jacket holes and ran the boat 30 minutes. Drained some oil, and replaced the oil amount with Prolong. It ran 8 degrees cooler with the Prolong on the same 30 minute run. That's doing some good in my opinion, 8 degrees is significant for nothing but an additive to the oil. I ran that stuff in my Electra Glide engine, and trans after reading that and seemed to get smoother shifting also.

Stab-n-Steer
01-16-2002, 05:55 AM
Remember when the oil cure-all was a to add a can of STP? My dad added that to everything! I think he even use to cook with it...
S&S

Stab-n-Steer
01-16-2002, 06:17 AM
Cos,
Wow, all this time I thought ProLong was for increasing sexual performance! No wonder it tastes so aweful!
S&S