PDA

View Full Version : hey boat cop

72Hallett
08-09-2006, 05:31 PM
or anybody else, what is the minium age to drive a boat in arizona???

uvindex
08-09-2006, 06:11 PM
From http://www.boat-ed.com/az/handbook/whomayoperate.htm
Arizona law states that it is illegal for a person under the age of 12 to operate a vessel with a motor greater than 8 horsepower (which includes personal watercraft) unless:
* An emergency exists or...
* Another person at least 18 years of age is on board.

Boatcop
08-09-2006, 06:16 PM
From http://www.boat-ed.com/az/handbook/whomayoperate.htm
Arizona law states that it is illegal for a person under the age of 12 to operate a vessel with a motor greater than 8 horsepower (which includes personal watercraft) unless:
* An emergency exists or...
* Another person at least 18 years of age is on board.
DING,DING,DING,.......
Correct Answer!
But.........
California law requires that a person be 16 to operate a vessel alone, and MAY operate at 12-15 with an adult on board. Under 12 can't even have the controls. California can enforce their laws anywhere on the Colorado River.

uvindex
08-09-2006, 06:21 PM
California law requires that a person be 16 to operate a vessel alone, and MAY operate at 12-15 with an adult on board. Under 12 can't even have the controls.Wow, I did not know that. Now that I'm a first-time daddy, I better check FL law before I let junior take the controls while in my lap.
Thanks for teaching me something. :)

72Hallett
08-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the info. Does that also include my 4 year old son who wants to sit on my lap and help me steer?

Hardly Satisfied
08-15-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the info. Does that also include my 4 year old son who wants to sit on my lap and help me steer?
yes I would like to know , my 2 yr old like to sit in my lap also and steer

harddriver
08-15-2006, 02:41 PM
I have the same question. I'm sure a good enough lawyer could argue the fact that my 2 year old son wasn't in control of the vessel; he was meerly sitting in my lap. Guess it all depends on what juris-dick-sion you happen to be in. If it's Havasu City, go ahead and throw the handcuffs on yourself. Anywhere else, I have to believe the PoPo have more important things to be doing that busting me down for having my kid sitting in my lap (with his life vest on of course).

MrsSigEpMock
08-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Here Here, 9 mo. old w/vest in Hubby's lap. We drove past the 5-0s in the channel a couple weekends ago, didn't seem to bother them. But maybe it was because we were in the 14MPH top speed rocket-death boat, :idea: :crossx: