PDA

View Full Version : Do you grease your hitch?

HM
08-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Doesn't matter any more. Check it out:
http://www.truckboxshop.com/prodimg/3405.JPG

RiverToysJas
08-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Why Yes, I do grease my hitch. Thanks for askin'
RTJas :D

lewiville
08-10-2006, 12:01 AM
lithium grease, sir filler up:>)

HMF'er
08-10-2006, 02:13 AM
What is that, Greasy Balls?

RitcheyRch
08-10-2006, 04:01 AM
Is it teflon coated or something??

HM
08-10-2006, 04:27 AM
Is it teflon coated or something??
Nylon

RitcheyRch
08-10-2006, 04:43 AM
Interesting. I figured would be teflon coated or something.
Nylon

uvindex
08-10-2006, 04:55 AM
I figured would be teflon coated or something.It is. The "or something" turns out to be nylon. (Just playing with ya! :))

RitcheyRch
08-10-2006, 05:01 AM
I know you messing with me. Didnt think Nylon would be a good insulator is all. :)
It is. The "or something" turns out to be nylon. (Just playing with ya! :))

uvindex
08-10-2006, 05:41 AM
I know you messing with me. Didnt think Nylon would be a good insulator is all. :)I'm with you. I immediately thought teflon too when I saw the pic. :)

RitcheyRch
08-10-2006, 05:46 AM
Atleast I wasnt the only one. :)
Was actually thinking teflon or delrin.
I'm with you. I immediately thought teflon too when I saw the pic. :)

Ziggy
08-10-2006, 06:42 AM
Delrin would have been my guess...........tougher.
By the looks of it I'd say you can buy a life supply of grease for one of them doohickies..;)

lucky
08-10-2006, 06:55 AM
looks like 60 made it half way down both sides of dem balls :)
Frank my balls are greasy enough :)

HM
08-10-2006, 07:13 AM
I'm with you. I immediately thought teflon too when I saw the pic. :)
Well, Teflon is trade marked and probably delrin as well. No one would know what PTFE is, so perhaps they found it easier to say Nylon which sounds a tad better than plastic. They claim it is a Nylon Alloy Coating? They say it will last Forever. And no nasty greasy hitches to deal with.
I am trying to get a replacment ball that only has a 2" ball and no ball on the other side. The other sizes are useless to me and I drag the lower ball across Lucky's chin, I mean, in driveways when I am towing. If I can get it with that new fangled coating, I will be cooler than the other side of the pillow.

RitcheyRch
08-10-2006, 07:24 AM
I might be interested in one as well. Not sure where to even find one. I'm familiar with PTFE. I would have actually preferred they would have used UHMW.
UHMW has one of the highest impact strengths of any thermoplastic and has excellent abrasion resistance, tensile strength, energy absorption, resistance to stress, cracking, and coefficient of friction properties. UHMW coefficient of friction is significantly better than nylon and acetal and is virtually the same as TeflonĀ® but has superior abrasion resistance.
UHMW in sliding applications will out wear steal 10 to 1 and stainless steal 6 to 1.
Well, Teflon is trade marked and probably delrin as well. No one would know what PTFE is, so perhaps they found it easier to say Nylon which sounds a tad better than plastic. They claim it is a Nylon Alloy Coating? They say it will last Forever. And no nasty greasy hitches to deal with.
I am trying to get a replacment ball that only has a 2" ball and no ball on the other side. The other sizes are useless to me and I drag the lower ball across Lucky's chin, I mean, in driveways when I am towing. If I can get it with that new fangled coating, I will be cooler than the other side of the pillow.

HM
08-10-2006, 07:36 AM
I might be interested in one as well. Not sure where to even find one. I'm familiar with PTFE. I would have actually preferred they would have used UHMW.
UHMW has one of the highest impact strengths of any thermoplastic and has excellent abrasion resistance, tensile strength, energy absorption, resistance to stress, cracking, and coefficient of friction properties. UHMW coefficient of friction is significantly better than nylon and acetal and is virtually the same as TeflonĀ® but has superior abrasion resistance.
UHMW in sliding applications will out wear steal 10 to 1 and stainless steal 6 to 1.
go to www.truckstop.com
I used to sell Teflon, which is now called Zonyl. DuPont had way too many people using the Teflon name and not buying their PTFE. So, Teflon ceased to be a product and became a licensed name only. Just because people might buy Zonyl from DuPont, does not mean they can say Teflon on their labels and marketing.
There are quite a few "plastics" out there that have so crazy properties...but can you afford it? Especially in the thermoset linear linked chemistries.

RitcheyRch
08-10-2006, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the info. Agree, most people know teflon due to the marketing. I made some extended trim tabs for an old Sea-Doo using some UMHW and it worked very well. The stuff held up well to the constant usage in the water and the heat.
go to www.truckstop.com
I used to sell Teflon, which is now called Zonyl. DuPont had way too many people using the Teflon name and not buying their PTFE. So, Teflon ceased to be a product and became a licensed name only. Just because people might buy Zonyl from DuPont, does not mean they can say Teflon on their labels and marketing.
There are quite a few "plastics" out there that have so crazy properties...but can you afford it? Especially in the thermoset linear linked chemistries.

RiverToysJas
08-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Well, They claim it is a Nylon Alloy Coating? They say it will last Forever.
Forever is a long time! I'd like to know who many years they've been testing it in real world applications. :idea:
RTJas :crossx:

MKEELINE
08-10-2006, 09:27 AM
I bet Mouser could wear that focker out!