PDA

View Full Version : leveling kit Vs Small lift for HD 3/4 Dmax

stillgoin
08-10-2006, 07:27 AM
I have been back and forth on this. I am only trying to put on 285 75/16s on the thing. I am told I need a leveling kit. Then I find out (am told) how bad that is for the rest of your front end components.
I looked for months before I found a trk that wasn't lifted, I do not want that. Is there such thing as a 2", or maybe I do a body lift to fit the tires?
I know I am not the only guy to go through this. I don't even want 4". Just to be able to fit those tires w/o hacking up the plastic.
Any thoughts on what to do, and/ or which is the better way to go?
Thanks.

GHOSTRYDER71
08-10-2006, 08:19 AM
I have had 4 of these trucks with 285's now I'am running 295's
all you have to do is crank the torsion bars up a few turns.
Trimming the plastic is very minor.The whole process would take less than 15 minutes.

XTRM22
08-10-2006, 09:44 AM
If the HD is anything like the old 1/2 ton then I agree with ghostryder. If you want the bigger tires to look a little cooler and don't plan to use it offroad then tightening the torsion bars is an ok way to go. If you're gonna use it offroad at all, and plan to keep it for a while then go with the lift. I tend to occasionally abuse my trucks, after starting out with the torsion bars, then going to a lift, I finally went back to Ford for the solid front axle, the Independant front suspension parts just didn't hold up for me. I run 295 75 16's on my F350 factory height.
Chuck

No Regrets
08-10-2006, 01:24 PM
I have had 4 of these trucks with 285's now I'am running 295's
all you have to do is crank the torsion bars up a few turns.
Trimming the plastic is very minor.The whole process would take less than 15 minutes.
I did the same thing to get these to fitt, but I noticed a major hop & wallow at higher speeds in the front end. Cured it by adding KYB shocks-Mine is a 4by
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/458truck.jpg

SUI-CY-COLE
08-10-2006, 03:54 PM
dont twist the torsion up.......www.cognitomotorsports.com

SUI-CY-COLE
08-10-2006, 03:55 PM
www.norcaltruck.com
check project and look at there leveling kit...goodluck

socaldj1
08-10-2006, 04:54 PM
i have 295s on mine. i had the torsions rekeyed $75.00 and $50 for a alignment. Sits perfectly level now.

565edge
08-10-2006, 05:32 PM
I bought the cognito upper arm kit and keyways.It gives you a bunch more wheel travel.You can easily run 285's.It does not hurt the ride att all.Mine actually rides better.

stillgoin
08-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks for all of the input. There is a very good chance I will be buried in this truck, so I want to do what is best for the longevity of the vehicle and components.
That cognito kit is the first I've seen like that. Everything else has ranged from keys to shock bumper extender things.
Thanks again.

sigepmock
08-11-2006, 06:36 AM
Don't forget the Cognito pitman/idler arm braces.....the weak link on the Chevy HD's when adding larger tires are the pitman and idler arm on the steering. Once those wear out they take out the wheel bearings, seal,...etc. Trust those of us that have learned the hard way. It's a lot of money for a couple of brackets but they install very easy and they will save you about $2000 in repair work down the road.
Good luck,
Chris

No Regrets
08-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Just had to replace left wheel bearing @ 40k- $380 part plus labor & alignment- Guess I better change pitman & idler arm.

Chris Winn
08-16-2006, 12:30 PM
i have the full cognito kit for sale brand new, bought it for my 3/4 ton sub, but did not decide to use it.
it is the kit with a arms moge (sp/) ball joints and a few other peices that they recomended (i got the full deal, including new ball joints) including ideler arm braces. including the extenders for the shocks or autoride if it is equiped.
i think i paid close to $800.00 for it
anyone want one fro $400.00 (you come and get it)
pm for contact details