PDA

View Full Version : lil reading

Blown 472
08-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Hizbullah, Zionism and the Ideology of late Imperial America
Awakening the Resistance
By JENNIFER LOEWENSTEIN
Thousands of Lebanese, Palestinians and others made a kind of pilgrimage to Fatima’s gate in the summer of 2000 to celebrate the end of Israel’s 22 -year occupation of south Lebanon. ‘Fatima’s gate’ denoted a stretch of land on the Lebanon-Israel border newly controlled by Hizbullah after it pursued the retreating Israeli forces back into Israel. Yellow Hizbullah flags flew everywhere. The atmosphere was festive and light. People set up souvenir stands selling Hizbullah memorabilia – flags, key-rings, postcards, pens – to commemorate the historic event. Families strolled up and back along the road pa! rallel to the border, pointing out the Israeli towns in the distance. Friends strode along together talking politics and stopping to stare at the last wreckages of the event, the burned out jeeps and cars, the bullet holes and shrapnel wounds in the facades of the walls and buildings left behind by the retreating Israelis. Parents and children alike gazed at these remains; some took pictures posed next to them. Others passed by more solemnly, wary of disturbing the near-sanctity of these symbols of struggle and of the years of adversity they recalled.
Across a stretch of land demarcated by barbed wire and signposts stood a lone Israeli watch-tower. From FatimaÂ’s gate one could just make out the shapes of helmeted soldiers within, behind a small rectangular window of bullet-proofed glass: the hapless targets of rocks hurled continually across the border by all who could manage to throw them and the cheering on-lookers applauding each lob.
The summer of 2000 has taken on the transient quality of a landscape brightened by a break in the clouds for an all too brief interlude.
That was the summer Lebanon began to awaken again; to bloom into a metropolis of culture and scandal, nightlife and slums, commerce and tourism, stretching, yawning and weeping with sorrow and relief. The stiflingly hot streets of Haret Hreik in the south suburbs were neighbors the of the Bourj al-Barajneh, Chatila and Mar Elias Palestinian refugee camps all full of the squalor and pulsing of life, the worlds within worlds of poverty, hope, despair and faith. There in the slums of the city a young, intelligent doctor from the camp hospital invited me to his home to meet his mother and sister and to explain why he, a Sunni Muslim and a Palestinian, had chosen to become a member of Hizbullah. Safwat was an anomaly then, or so I believed. But now, when I traverse the str! eets of Haret Hreik in my mind, the fruit and vegetable stands, the phone stores and electronics shops, the clothing stores, restaurants and cafes, the banks and Internet stops, the grocery and household supply marts where one could purchase all her daily necessities, it is clear that the seeds of a vast resistance had just begun to germinate. It was unclear to me then just how fully it would bloom; just how tenacious its roots would become.
Today, the bustling streets of Haret Hreik are gone. Where families lived and thrived, struggled and laughed, is an emptiness of rubble –the bombed ruins of a greedy imperial war that stops at nothing. Today Lebanon stands behind Hizbullah. The Lebanese have become the bitter, cheering on-lookers of the resistance which lobs its out-dated missiles relentlessly across the border as the Israeli war machine refuels again and again. But US precision guided bombs, cluster bombs, white phosphorus, unmanned aerial drones, drones to guide the bombs, helicopters armed with missiles, F-16s, gun ships and state-of-the-art armed and trained ground forces with night vision surveillance and combat goggles have succeeded in uniting far more than the Lebanese behind the daring defiance of Hassan Nasrallah.
Sixteen years of civil war, of murderous sectarian acrimony, of inter-ethnic killing, suspicion and paranoia and today –after 28 days of hell unleashed upon it by the arrogant racism of a militant and ideological Zionism— 89% of Lebanon’s Sunni Muslims, 80% of its Christians, 80% of its Druze and 100% of its Shiite populations support Hizbullah’s resistance against Israel and the United States.
At least as telling are statistics showing that 97% of Palestinians support Hizbullah’s position toward Israel including 95% of Christian Palestinians. Lebanon, Syria, the Palestinian territories and Iran are not the only places where support for Hizbullah has increased dramatically in the last month. Among the populations of the American-backed Arab states, notably Jordan, Egypt and Saudi Arabia, there is also widespread support. Indeed, seizing ! upon the corruption and obsequiousness of these regimes and their tacit support of Israel, Nasrallah intoned in a recent address, “there will be no place for [you] if you abandon your moral and national responsibility…. For the sake of your thrones I say to you gather [up your humanity] and act for one day in order to stop this aggression on Lebanon.” He understands, as do they, that their unwillingness to condemn the insouciant murder of more than a thousand people will cost them dearly. Suddenly these merciless, sell-out regimes are left scrambling to help author a ceasefire agreement less embarrassing than the Bolton-Gillerman diktat that left the Israeli military in place in south Lebanon while seeking to disarm Hizbullah.!
Are we really surprised by the vast, Hizbullah-led resistance? By the linkage it makes with people across the boundaries of national insult, defeat and humiliation? Are we really surprised that 40 years after Israel’s occupation of the West Bank, East Jerusalem, the Gaza Strip and the Golan Heights and 6 years into its continued occupation of the Shebaa Farms in Lebanon that people are have had enough? Are we really surprised that 3 and a half years into the US occupation and devastation of Iraq, 5 years after the US invasion and destruction of Afghanistan and decades of killings, intrusions, violations, abductions, assassinations, meddling, economic sanctions, pilfering and exploitation of the people, lands and resources of the Middle East that the reckless, racist, power-drunk mercenaries of empire should finally be met with a legitimate popular resistance? –not an outgrowth of displaced fana! ticism, not an al-Qaeda gang of killers, but the beginnings of a grassroots pan-Arab and pan-Islamic movement seeking to heal the wounds of perpetual subjugation?
What message have the purveyors of state power brought with them that their listeners should wish to continue to bow in subservience? The conditions are not right for a ceasefire, say George Bush and Condoleeza Rice. First burn down the house and then we can discuss how to put out the flames. We are not just fighting Hizbullah, says Israeli Prime Minister Olmert, but Syria and Iran as well. Accept our vision of a Starbucked-MidEast; a Middle East with sanitized Muslims appointed by the corporate board of Ziocondriacs who break into hives at the words “Islam” and “Arab;” whose peace imposes fast food franchises; whose freedom is the right to purchase arms at the Great Mall of the Gulf States; whose riches are the oil w! ells mortgaged to Texas; and whose water resources run through the processing plants of the Ariel and Gush Etzion settlement blocs.
They tell you that a Jewish state is democratic but a Muslim state is evil; that Palestinians living in Palestine have no rights and no state but Jews living in the rest of the world can ‘return’ and live there as rights’-bearing citizens; that Jesus wants you in Palestine unless you are a Palestinian or a Muslim; that Washington, London and Tel Aviv can produce nuclear warheads but that Tehran is a global threat for daring to enrich uranium; that legitimate resistance is terrorism but state terrorism is “self-defense”; that the desert state of Syria is Nasrallah’s courier and puppeteer but that Washington is an honest broker and a partner for peace; that Iran is a rogue state for arming Hizbullah but that America is freedom-loving for arming Tel Aviv; that we cannot talk to Damascus or Tehran unless they ! renounce themselves out of existence first; that expansionism and regime change are necessary for American and Israeli national security but that the Arab and Muslim winners of free and fair democratic elections should be arrested in the middle of the night and imprisoned in secret police detention centers for attempting to rule.
They tell you that three soldiers captured by Hamas and Hizbullah are worth the collective destruction of Palestine and Lebanon but that civilians kidnapped by Israel are not worth the price of a printed page; that the tens of thousands of Palestinian and Lebanese prisoners in Israeli jails and the hundreds of Afghanis, Pakistanis, Arabs and others at Guantanamo Bay are worth less than the abandoned pets of the residents of North Israel fleeing to the bomb shelters. They sing sanctimonious hymns to the glory of international law as they veto it into the oblivion of a million shell fragments.
DonÂ’t count the blackened bodies of the peach farmers of Qaa laid out in the afternoon sun along the roadside. DonÂ’t weep for the petrified, death-stolen children under the concrete rubble of Qana. DonÂ’t suffer the incinerated of Marwaheen, the blasted of Srifa and Khiam and Tibnine. DonÂ’t list the villages lost or the homes destroyed; donÂ’t number the dead of Beirut and Tyre. DonÂ’t listen to the wailing on the beaches of Gaza. DonÂ’t mourn the lost lives of Khan Yunis or Beit Hanoun, people of the sand and the dust; of corrugated iron and uprooted orange groves. DonÂ’t number the fallen in Nablus or Jenin: the old shepherds, the young rebels, the pregnant wives and weary husba! nds, the somber schoolgirls and the angry boys in the lost alleys of the camps. We will hear all of their voices again; see their likenesses in the shattered streets of the Levant. They will gather beneath the cedar and the minaret; carry with them the kuffiyeh and the QurÂ’an; they will speak the language of the resistance that we have breathed into them like fire.
Jennifer Loewenstein is a Visiting Research Fellow at Oxford University's Refugee Studies Centre. She has lived and worked in Gaza City, Beirut and Jerusalem and has traveled extensively throughout the Middle East, where she has worked as a free-lance journalist and a human rights activist. She can be reached at: amadea311@earthlink.net

QuickJet
08-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Wow!!! I like the opening where she makes Lebonaon sound so serene, pure and inocent. Typical liberal bullshit. Make the aggresor out to be the victim. Funny thing is that if Hezbola really cared about the fate of the Lebonese, I don't think they would lobb bombs (24 to be exact) into Isreal durring the last 6 years since the pullout. I don't think that the Governing bodies of lebonon would put up with Hezbola knowing that they are the terrorist organization responsable for multiple murders and terrorist activities. You do remember when Hezbola cowardly killed 218 of our Soldiers while they slept in 1983 don't you?
Maybe Hezbola should of thought twice about kidnapping soldiers and lobbing bombs into a country some much stronger then the one they occupy. If they had, this would of never happend.
Israel wants peace while the stinky Arab ragheads surrounding them want death to all Jews. I sure hope that Israel gets angry enough to use a nuke soon.
Gotta go, American Idol is on then I'm going to watch TRL :rolleyes:

Blown 472
08-11-2006, 03:06 AM
Wow!!! I like the opening where she makes Lebonaon sound so serene, pure and inocent. Typical liberal bullshit. Make the aggresor out to be the victim. Funny thing is that if Hezbola really cared about the fate of the Lebonese, I don't think they would lobb bombs (24 to be exact) into Isreal durring the last 6 years since the pullout. I don't think that the Governing bodies of lebonon would put up with Hezbola knowing that they are the terrorist organization responsable for multiple murders and terrorist activities. You do remember when Hezbola cowardly killed 218 of our Soldiers while they slept in 1983 don't you?
Maybe Hezbola should of thought twice about kidnapping soldiers and lobbing bombs into a country some much stronger then the one they occupy. If they had, this would of never happend.
Israel wants peace while the stinky Arab ragheads surrounding them want death to all Jews. I sure hope that Israel gets angry enough to use a nuke soon.
Gotta go, American Idol is on then I'm going to watch TRL :rolleyes:
Her addy is there, take it up with her tough guy. And you have spent how much time in the mideast?

Old Texan
08-11-2006, 04:46 AM
This has got me wonderin' Blown, does Hezbollah put "ammo dumps" in Lebanese neighborhoods?

QuickJet
08-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Her addy is there, take it up with her tough guy. And you have spent how much time in the mideast?
I was born in Jordan and moved here when I was 12. Any other question ass hole.

Old Texan
08-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Hey Blown, look's like you got a little "toe jam" to take care of those munchies after another bout of ol' "Foot in the mouth" disease. :rolleyes:

Blown 472
08-11-2006, 10:36 AM
I was born in Jordan and moved here when I was 12. Any other question ass hole.
So you lived in the gaza strip? or the west bank? and how long ago was that? if you did live there they you saw first hand israeli aggresion, no?

Blown 472
08-11-2006, 10:43 AM
This has got me wonderin' Blown, does Hezbollah put "ammo dumps" in Lebanese neighborhoods?
CAIRO — An Israeli Arab Member of Knesset has accused the Israeli army of using villages and towns predominantly populated by Israeli Arabs as "shields" to escape the barrages of rockets fired by the Lebanese Hizbullah resistance group.
"During a short visit to offer condolences to the families of victims killed in Hizbullah's rocket attacks, I saw Israeli tanks shelling (south) Lebanon from the two towns of Arab Al-Aramisha and Tarshiha, which are predominantly populated Arabs," MK Sheikh Abbas Zako said in a statement, a copy of which was received by IslamOnline.net.
Zako stressed that the Israeli tanks are positioned just next to the houses of citizens.
"Hizbullah's rockets are only a response to shelling by tanks positioned inside the towns," he said.
Hizbullah chief Hassan Nasrallah had apologized to Israeli Arab families at the very beginning of war for the collateral damage caused by the group's rockets, calling the victims "martyrs."
Israeli army has been accused of using Palestinian civilians as human shields in an operation in northern Gaza.
According to the Israeli human rights group, B'tselem, Israeli soldiers seized control of two buildings in the town of Beit Hanun and used six residents, two of them minors, as human shields.
It said they held them on the staircases of the two buildings and at the entrance to rooms, in which the soldiers positioned themselves, for some twelve hours.
During this time, there were intense exchanges of gunfire between the soldiers and Palestinian fighters.
Thicker
The Israeli lawmaker saw the deployment of tanks at the entrances and centers of Arab towns and villages as a sign of continued bias against Israeli Arabs by their government.
"This demonstrates the fact that the blood of Israeli Jews is thicker than that of Israeli Arabs," he fumed.
Zako called on Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Defense Minister Amir Peretz to immediately move these tanks from Arab towns and villages, and halt the Israeli aggressions on the Lebanese people.
Up to 1,000 Lebanese, mostly civilians, have been killed since the start of the war on July 12. A total of 98 Israelis, including 58 servicemen, have also been killed.
Last week, three Arab members of Knesset yelled out insults against Peretz, who was briefing the lawmakers on the war developments.
Among the insults heaped on Peretz was "Angel of Death".
Israeli Arabs, who make up nearly a fifth of the population, are descendants of those who stayed when hundreds of thousands of Palestinians fled or were driven from their homes by Zionist gangs in1948, when Israel was founded on the rubble of Palestine.
They accuse the government of failing to build bomb shelters in their towns and villages as it did in other areas.
Relations between Israel's Jews and Arabs have long been difficult, with Arabs complaining of discrimination at work place.
The Knesset has further made life unbearable for Israeli Arabs married to Palestinians by adopting a law denying the latter the right to get an Israeli residency to live with their spouses.
The Israeli High Court of Justice added insult to injury by upholding the controversial law, which has been dismissed by rights groups as racist and discriminatory.
"Regained Dignity"
Despite the fact that Arabs make up a third of the 48 people killed by rocket fire on northern Israel, the sympathies of some Israeli Arabs lie very much with Hizbullah.
"Hizbullah has raised up our heads and lifted our spirits", Ali Manna told Reuters as he mourned two nephews killed in a rocket attack by the Lebanese resistance group.
And they admire the fact that Hizbullah has proved a tenacious rival and is till holding out against the highly sophisticated Israeli military machine.
"For the first time there is a sense of regained dignity," said Rawda Atallah, head of the Arab Cultural Association in Haifa, a mixed Jewish-Arab city that has been one of the main targets of Hizbullah attacks.
"They feel for the first time a group is resisting and standing steadfast in the face of the Israeli army," she said.
"Hizbullah's popularity has increased immensely among the Arabs in Israel."

OGShocker
08-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Hey Blown... nevermind, just read and view this.. Production of HOT AIR. (http://hotair.com/archives/2006/08/10/hezbollywood/)

Blown 472
08-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Hey Blown... nevermind, just read and view this.. Production of HOT AIR. (http://hotair.com/archives/2006/08/10/hezbollywood/)
Isn't American idol on??

1978 Rogers
08-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Ah yes. And the picnics as we send suicide bombers into shops and delis to kill the innocent Jews. Oh what a beautiful picture it is. Launch a couple rockets off into the Jews neighborhoods, lets all celibrate. The poor poor muslims. You kill me, I kill you right back. lol.
Come on Bent. That letter was funny to read. It almost brought a tear to my eye. I really like the fact that she goes out of her way in the last paragraph to say how shes an expert.

Blown 472
08-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Ah yes. And the picnics as we send suicide bombers into shops and delis to kill the innocent Jews. Oh what a beautiful picture it is. Launch a couple rockets off into the Jews neighborhoods, lets all celibrate. The poor poor muslims. You kill me, I kill you right back. lol.
Come on Bent. That letter was funny to read. It almost brought a tear to my eye. I really like the fact that she goes out of her way in the last paragraph to say how shes an expert.
E mail her.

1978 Rogers
08-11-2006, 01:04 PM
I just did Bent, Thank you. I hope I get a responce.
"I read this story of yours on a website. I was just curious about it.
Hizbullah, Zionism and the Ideology of late Imperial America
Awakening the Resistance
By JENNIFER LOEWENSTEIN
Why don't the hizbullah just give back the 2 soldiers? I keep seeing images on the news of the hardships the Lebonese are facing. I really don't really care about the media portraying Israel as the bad guys. If the hisbullah are serious about a cease fire, give the 2 soldiers back. Then the world would make the Israelis arm stop for sure.
Just curious, but you write a pretty story that makes the bad guy into a lovable cartoon charcter.
Chris Bennis"

Old Texan
08-11-2006, 03:21 PM
E mail her.
Ya know Blown I've emailed quite a number of these imbeciles and their like which you reference in the "cut and paste" facts of the wacko's day. Have yet to get any response. Now why is that?
Do they really want to admit there are other points of view? Most like Lowenstein gloat of wondrous credentials such as "fellow at EgoLib U" or "freelance journalist" published by "Utopian City Chronicle". These nuts of yours have as much credibility as TV preachers.
By the way have you noticed how wacko Libs have taken away all the thunder of the likes of "Jim and Tammy Fae" in the news? Fat Mikey the Lying Twinky Consumption Machine gets far more press that Oral and Pat these days. Society's nutmegs are bloggers and freethinkers spawning doomsday and conspiracy theories.
Of course they have the backing of the Al Gore types who major in junk science. Send you $$$ in to save us from ourselves!!!!!!
Yeah let's all email these freethinkers and invite them over to "school" us. Maybe we could all become "fellows" of ***boat U.

SmokinLowriderSS
08-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Ya know Blown I've emailed quite a number of these imbeciles and their like which you reference in the "cut and paste" facts of the wacko's day. Have yet to get any response. Now why is that?
See why I haven't wasted MY time e-mailing your wackos bl0wn? They haven't got enough sack, OR BRAINS, to try to defend their wacky viewpoint. :argue:

1978 Rogers
08-15-2006, 06:13 AM
I never got a reply back from her. :cry:

1978 Rogers
09-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Bump. I still haven't gotten a reply from this chick. LOL. :rolleyes:

SmokinLowriderSS
09-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Bump. I still haven't gotten a reply from this chick. LOL. :rolleyes:
I'm sure she is working on her reply Rogers, been working on it a month now. Got to make it good so as to "re-educate" you into properly FREE-THINKing.
Blown, you ready to educate me on the TALMUD?