PDA

View Full Version : Calculating Costs of Refurbing

TJS
08-11-2006, 06:17 AM
I have been refurbishing a Nordic I got while back. I have been keeping track of all costs with an excel spread sheet. I have many tabs that break out to the hull, pump, engine parts, engine machine work, trailer...etc. I got the boat with no engine but was set up for a Ford. I changed it to a chevy. I did not have any BBC parts, bolts or accessories so that was more cost. I am at the final assembly and rigging stage right now and I cannot believe the total cost so far and I did not even get the boat wet yet. I did not realize how much this project has cost. Anyone else keep track. I have part numbers and vendors as well.
Thanks.
T.J.
www.tjsperformance.com

GasGuzzler
08-11-2006, 06:29 AM
Keep up with cost? Ha! I have my receipts buried out in the back yard in a lock box because if "she" found out she would want to spend that much shopping! :cool:

jetboat
08-11-2006, 06:49 AM
dont even go there!when i sak my wife for $xxxxx. she gos roght to the toilet and shits a nother $xxxx. only have a general amount spent on a total redo.just ask to go to the john,and get moore money!

sleekcrafter
08-11-2006, 07:05 AM
Think HIGH and times ten the figure :p

Squirtcha?
08-11-2006, 07:18 AM
I have been refurbishing a Nordic I got while back. I have been keeping track of all costs with an excel spread sheet. I have many tabs that break out to the hull, pump, engine parts, engine machine work, trailer...etc. I got the boat with no engine but was set up for a Ford. I changed it to a chevy. I did not have any BBC parts, bolts or accessories so that was more cost. I am at the final assembly and rigging stage right now and I cannot believe the total cost so far and I did not even get the boat wet yet. I did not realize how much this project has cost. Anyone else keep track. I have part numbers and vendors as well.
Thanks.
T.J.
www.tjsperformance.com
Mine wasn't even a total resto and I kept the Ford. With the cost of the boat I probably got around $14,000 into it.
That's probably about half of what I could actually sell it for. I could buy another better, faster hull with a good motor in it and spend less than $14,000. You can't look at it that way. Mine's been a learning experience and I wouldn't trade the education I got from it.
Well................maybe I would if the price was right$$$$$$$$$$$$

TJS
08-11-2006, 08:06 AM
I am at 14,732 right now and just orderd some plumbing stuff. :mad:
I have most of the parts to get wet now though.
T.J.

DelawareDave
08-11-2006, 08:23 AM
There is no way in H**L I would attempt to keep track of, or even try to justify what I have spent on my current project, or any other boat I have ever had. If I did, I would probably have myself commited to a nut house, if my wife didn't kill me first! :messedup:

DelawareDave
08-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Oh- TJS- ya want another Nordic project? :rolleyes:

napabob
08-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Using a 'Cost of living comparison calculator', it would add 37.42% to your expenditures in the west coast.

460 jus getn it
08-11-2006, 08:59 AM
All said and done i was into mine about 11,000 and i still have to do a complete interior. Wouldnt trade the learning experience for nothing.

TJS
08-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Using a 'Cost of living comparison calculator', it would add 37.42% to your expenditures in the west coast.
Same here in the North East. I am in Fairfield County, CT and it is high here too.
T.J.
www.tjsperformance.com

Mr. Crusader 83
08-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks.
T.J.
www.tjsperformance.com
do you have pics of the front motor mount you used?

TJS
08-11-2006, 09:51 AM
do you have pics of the front motor mount you used?
got the front and rear plate mount on e-bay. I am pretty sure it is a hardin. I will get some pics as the engine goes in.
Thanks.
T.J.

455Rocket
08-11-2006, 03:31 PM
I'll never buy a another "project" boat again that's for sure... Selling mine now and just realized how much I'm gonna lose :220v:

wrenchdogg
08-11-2006, 03:45 PM
a friend told me not to keep track, and I made the mistake of keeping track,, never keep track,just have fun and remember speed cost money,so how fast do you want to go :)

squirt'nmyload
08-11-2006, 04:11 PM
no matter what i spend it's all worth it when i'm cruisin the lake!!!

77Woodbridge
08-11-2006, 05:15 PM
I agree with those that say not to keep track. It's a loosing proposition from the gate. If you love it, do it. Don't rob yourself of any joy in life. I've got an '84 CJ7 I'm building from tube frame up.... I learned there that it's better to buy someone elses completed for 1/2-1/3 the money of trying to do it yourself...depending on options and quality of parts. It gives me time to spend with my kids working on something that we can all feel good about. Just my .02
~Victorian

myoung
08-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks.
T.J.
www.tjsperformance.com
Good lord man! Why would you do that???? :eek:
I'm on my first boat project, but I have been floating all kinds of projects for a very long time and the most important lesson I've learned over the years is don't keep track!!!! :crossx: :rollside:

'75 Miller
08-11-2006, 08:21 PM
I made the mistake of buying an Olds/Jacuzzi boat & trying to make it a performer. It's getting setup with a BBC & Berk now.
Tucked away in a filing cabinet is a folder stuffed with receipts. I'll be keeping all of them, however I have no intent to add 'em up! It's safe to say though that by the time I'm done I'll have $20k+ into a '75 jetboat. Oops.

YeLLowBoaT
08-11-2006, 08:56 PM
$500 for boat and trailer.
$100 for tire/barings
$50 for paint
$70 for new trailer wireing and lights
$1600 for pistons and pins
$100 for rings
$75 for gasket kit
$120 for new barrings
$1200 for blue print and blance
$50 for gas tank reseal kit
$ 75 in glass and stuff
$100 in sand paper
$100 for primer and stuff to shoot it.
So thats $4140 Give or take $500
I still need to buy paint/ clear, gauges, steering, seats carpet rebuild kit for the jet and a carb...
WHY DID I JUST DO THAT :cry:

TJS
08-14-2006, 05:17 AM
Why on earth would you do that, especially if you didn't already have the BBC to put in it?
All the boat had was a Ford rear engine plate between the stringers and no engine. It had no headers, front plates or any other engine accessories, so I would have been in the same situation if I went to a Ford.
T.J.
www.tjsperformance.com

Jeanyus
08-14-2006, 06:41 AM
I got $18,000 into this boat new everything.http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123723 gif I can't get $11,000. My next boat I'm going to wait for a guy like me who spent tons of money, and countless hours restoring a boat,and buy it. I'll let some one else lose money and sand fiberglass. If I add up the hours spent on this thing, and figure If I spent those hours earning money, I could buy a much nicer boat, and not have to deal with the itchies. Not to mention breathing fiberglass dust and makeing a huge mess in my garage.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-14-2006, 08:11 AM
I Dont even want to think about whats in mine!!!! :mad: :mad:
Put it this way, I had to machine my motor twice due to poor machine work. That automatically racked it up $3k:eek::eek:

fleetimus
08-14-2006, 09:11 AM
The only good thing out of my condo burning to the ground, was the receipts for the Cheetah and the 68 Chevy truck getting destroyed!!!!!!!!

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
08-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Prices Here In The Northeast Are Crazy Too! A Customer From Boston Went To Hawaii And Said The Only Things More Expensive Than Boston Were Gasoline And Milk...bill.