PDA

View Full Version : Was this really wrong?

Havasu_Dreamin
08-11-2006, 09:01 AM
Background on the video:
Little league championship game. People are upset of the opposing coach choosing to intentially walk the other teams best hitter to get to a weaker hitter. Uh, that's part of baseball. This has even bean talked about on Dan Patricks ESPN radio show according to the video.
Little League controversy (http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/sports/2006/08/11/little.league.controversy.affl)
So, was it really wrong for the opposing coach to do what he did?

HocusPocus
08-11-2006, 09:04 AM
if thats all that was done i don't see a problem with it, its all part of the game.
batter up!

Kachina26
08-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Yeah, I think dad said it all when he asked, "What are we teaching our kids?". Looks as though he's teaching the kid that the world is gonna change to accomodate him because he caught an extremely bad break in life. He's in for a shock if he believes that load of crap.

doesitfloat?
08-11-2006, 09:27 AM
I hate this PC bullsh!t. If you don't want your handicapped kid subjected to the "horrible humiliation" of striking out with the game on the line...don't put him in Little League!!!
These people talk out of both sides of their mouth. We want our kid to be treated eaually like all other kids...but when a little character building adversity shows up it's "don't pick on my kid, he's "special".
Another thing...if the kid had got the game winning hit, we'd be hearing about it from coast to coast like that autistic kid who drained 21 points in a high school basketball game.

Howie Feltersnatch
08-11-2006, 09:33 AM
What we're teaching our kids is one tactic in baseball is the intentional walk. If you can't deal with that then don't play. Oh, and the worst hitter only gets three strikes, just like the best hitter. Maybe he's got a problem with that rule too.

Ryphraph
08-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Every team has a "worst player" weather they are recovering from cancer or not. At that level of little league play, any kid could be a hero or a zero at any given at bat.
Baseball is a numbers game, you have to walk the big hitter in that situation.
Ryph

Say10
08-11-2006, 09:37 AM
The minute you put "Championship" into the game it changes everything. That means you play to win. I would have done the same. And I would expect the other coach to do the same. Soryy the bad life lesson for that boy and his team but the life lesson for the winning team is just as important in competative sports.

unleashed
08-11-2006, 09:40 AM
I can't even believe this story is worth national attention. Its just baseball and you're in it to win it! Geeezzzzzz.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

robsformula
08-11-2006, 10:02 AM
I was vp. along with being a coach. During our last game which was a play off game to see which team was going to the TOC's (tournament of champions). I decided to do the same thing. There was 1 out and a boy on 1st. and 2nd. base and there number 4 batter was up. We were only up 2 runs and it was in the top of the 4th. Not to mention there number 4 batter poked one out at his 1st. at bat. Any way I decided to walk him and the other coach was furious at this (Which was a husband and wife) ( she was the one with bull horn that would'nt stop yapping) back to the story,anyway after getting the ass chewing of a life time of how unfair it is to this I decided to pitch to him with our best pitcher throwing not only did we strike him out but on the third strike they tried to advance the runner to third, he thrown out by our catcher and third baseman which is (my son) I was so proud of all the kids and their parents for the way the game went. Needless to say the other coaches were still poor loooooosers. I really felt bad for there kids though they had the tallent but not the coaching.

centerhill condor
08-11-2006, 11:00 AM
yea, the game is suppossed to be about the kids; their fun, developing character, sportsmanship etc... if the coach can't take a loss he shouldn't be on the field. Sounds as if old coach can't win with kids his own size.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-11-2006, 11:10 AM
I can't even believe this story is worth national attention. Its just baseball and you're in it to win it! Geeezzzzzz.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:
I agree. That's why I posted this as I do not see anything wrong with what the coach did. Play to have fun, but play to win. Be gracious in defeat but even more gracious in victory because there is always tomorrow when you can get your ass handed to you when you don't expect it.

Magic34
08-11-2006, 11:18 AM
That dad is an a$$. He just said on national TV, that his son was the weakest player. You know they are going to keep tapes of this media attention for years to come to say they were on TV and that's what you said about your boy, you fu***ng idiot.
Why not forget about it, rather than draw the attention up on your son that he is weak? Dumbass!!!
Alos, if he sucked so bad, why did the coach have him batting, actually he was probably a sub, but regardless, why would he be inserted into the line up that low in the order?
You are playing in the Championship for the season, not your Tuesday night basic game.
This kids dad is an ass!!! :mad: Hell, the pitcher could have beaned the power hitter and it would have looked like an accident, and the same result.
Hey "dad" instead of spending all this time complaining on TV, take your kid to the cages so he becomes that hitter the other team wants to walk next season. Congrats on your child beating cancer, he is a fighter, now let him win on the field as well. Dont let the disability keep him down forever.

ROZ
08-11-2006, 11:28 AM
That dad is an a$$. He just said on national TV, that his son was the weakest player. You know they are going to keep tapes of this media attention for years to come to say they were on TV and that's what you said about your boy, you fu***ng idiot.
Why not forget about it, rather than draw the attention up on your son that he is weak? Dumbass!!!
Alos, if he sucked so bad, why did the coach have him batting, actually he was probably a sub, but regardless, why would he be inserted into the line up that low in the order?
You are playing in the Championship for the season, not your Tuesday night basic game.
This kids dad is an ass!!! :mad: Hell, the pitcher could have beaned the power hitter and it would have looked like an accident, and the same result.
Hey "dad" instead of spending all this time complaining on TV, take your kid to the cages so he becomes that hitter the other team wants to walk next season. Congrats on your child beating cancer, he is a fighter, now let him win on the field as well. Dont let the disability keep him down forever.
Exactly...
Until little league bans the intentional walk, use it....
From Chutes and Ladders and checkers to baseball and rugby, all games are about a strategy and problem solving... Lessons valued in life :)

Magic34
08-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Exactly...
Until little league bans the intentional walk, use it....
From Chutes and Ladders and checkers to baseball and rugby, all games are about a strategy and problem solving... Lessons valued in life :)
Sports teach you a lot. This guy wants his kid to stay on the DL forever it seems.

ROZ
08-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Sports teach you a lot. This guy wants his kid to stay on the DL forever it seems.
The only thing he's teaching his kid is to be a whiner,as well as teaching him to use cancer as an excuse to anything he disagrees with...
Now, I wonder if this would be a story if his son was the pitcher vs being the "weaker" opponent...
"Boy in cancer remission wins game by walking hitter"

Magic34
08-11-2006, 12:01 PM
The only thing he's teaching his kid is to be a whiner,as well as teaching him to use cancer as an excuse to anything he disagrees with...
Now, I wonder if this would be a story if his son was the pitcher vs being the "weaker" opponent...
"Boy in cancer remission wins game by walking hitter"
The point of the story is really, if you fail, practice and try again. Continue to do so until you succeed.
But his guy wants to be "poor me and my son. How will we ever go on?"

HOSS
08-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Lets kick his ass,,,better yet I will. Kenner, LA,,,I`ll give more info as need be,,,lets rock! :mad:

rrrr
08-11-2006, 02:35 PM
What a tool......We are raising a nation of pussies that play soccer without keeping score.
When I failed to make the Little League team in 4th grade, I worked harder the next year and made it. There was NO other option, and I knew it, just like every other fat, uncoordinated kid ( :D ) knew it.
Buncha bullshit IMO.

HefeRaton
08-11-2006, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE=rrrr]What a tool......We are raising a nation of pussies that play soccer without keeping score.
Aint that the TRUTH!!!!
First off how dumb was the coach to have the weakest kid batting after their power hitter? Usually the power hitter never sees pitches over the plate and the next batter is the one that will see better pitches that is why you follow with a good hitter.
All this type of snivelling is why sports are the way they are these days. This type of crying is why I got my kid out of rec sports. He does nothing but travel ball and the game is played the way it is supposed to be played. Rec. sports like little league are all about coddling and daddy baseball. Or should I say mommy baseball these days. As athletes grow older it is not just about having fun anymore it is about winning and having fun doing it. If kids are not taught how the game is supposed to be played then why do it? Just my 2 cents.

little rowe boat
08-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Thats part of the game.

CA Stu
08-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Chin music.
Thanks
CA Stu

coolchange
08-11-2006, 05:24 PM
We had this happen in game to get into TOC once. So Danny, a pretty decent hitter, is getting thrown intentional walks and on the third pitch he figures he's up enough and just steps out there and straight arms the bat. defence was sleepin and he drops a perfect hit right over second basemans head. RBI. Game over. Talk about the crowd goin wild!

Chromegorilla
08-11-2006, 06:48 PM
The gimpy kids dad can bite my big fat sausage. Fuggin cry baby. :cry: