PDA

View Full Version : Stevens boat co.

64stevens
06-30-2003, 10:25 PM
I have a '64 stevens v drive fla bottom boat and want to know more about the boat make this ones tag says Gardena ,Ca. If you know anything about this company please post a response.

GN117 Big Dawg
06-30-2003, 11:57 PM
Hey 64, Mac Stevens seemed to just vanish after he closed down the shop over on El Segundo Bl., in Gardena. At least to my knowledge, that was about the time I made the transition to circle boat racing from drag racing, and Stevens was not as into roundy rounders as he was he was into the drag stuff.
If you remember, back in the late 60's, an unblown fuel flat bottom known as "The Mortition." Owned and drivin by Buzz Coats it was a dual small block, injected fueler, that Stevens built and supported in NDBA Racing out at Skiland, Perris, CA.
Buzz was killed in that fueler at Skiland and it seems to my recollection that Mac closed the doors not long after that incident. I don't know if it was the personal, or leagal pressures that caused the demise of Stevens Boats, it is pure speculation at this point. That whole deal went down over 30 years ago, and it's been forever since it's come up. I remember Mac as an affable man, my knowledge of him was brief and confined to the races. I could take you to his old shop location right now if you asked.
Just as a side bar note, it was really freaky, Coats used to tow "The Mortition" to the digs with a 55 or 56 Cadillac Hearse. Too weird huh?

superdave013
07-01-2003, 05:44 AM
Not to highjack the thread but not to long ago someone was selling some v drive stuff on e bay. It was real old stuff too. I e mailed the seller about a few things.
He didn't know anything about the parts as he was just cleaning out an old ladys garage. Of course I asked him to find out who's stuff it was. He said was a guy that raced fuel flats.
Yep, he was cleaning out Buzz Coats stuff.
I bet there could have been some real treasures in there.

DansBlown73Nordic
07-01-2003, 08:28 AM
Cool another guy with a Stevens. Welcome!!!Can you post a picture of yours? What size is it? What motor? Give us the details.... :p

63stevens
07-01-2003, 10:57 AM
From what I remember Mac Stevens was a fireman and built boats on the side. He did race roundy round because i remember seeing him race at the marine stadium. Someone said that he moved to Az. after he shut down everything. I think he has since passed away but I'm not sure on that.
Here is my 63 Stevens
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/453redrock21-med.bmp

DansBlown73Nordic
07-01-2003, 12:02 PM
Here is a picture of my 66 Stevens...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/76Stevens_37-med.jpg

GN117 Big Dawg
07-01-2003, 09:50 PM
Hi 64, Man, what an excelent example of Mac
Stevens craftsmanship. Is that an old "Nail
Head " Buick ? That's too cool.
I think you are fairly close when you mention
that Mac was a fireman, seems somehow familiar.
I just don't remember him at the stadium circle racin', but, that by no means is to say he wasn't involved.
Does that 66 Stevens flattie look just too bitchin' or what!!! Dan and you both look like your hearts and souls are into your boats BIG TIME and that is the way it is spostta be.
Good Luck and Gods Speed to you both.
Old Rigger, feel free to give me a call, my number is in my profile, looks like we need to sit and talk about our paths and how they may have crossed in our racing/boating worlds. Maybe that book idea could get off of the ground, sounds like we may have a customer base right here in the V-Drive threads???? If nothing else, we should never miss an opportunity to make new freinds. Thanks, Gary.
[ July 01, 2003, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: GN117 Big Dawg ]

dmontzsta
07-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Nostalgic boats are awesome! it is great to know you have a part of the past and to always wonder where your boat has been...

vdriver4ever
07-02-2003, 07:23 AM
I spoke with my dad Don Minegar who built many of Mac's boats in the 60's in the bay area. He confirmed that Mac was a fireman prior to building the boats. Since following this string the past few days and thinking about the Stevens boats I came to the realization that Mac's boats were used in almost all forms of racing. I am sure there were other multi task boats but not sure any of them were as much as the Stevens was?

64stevens
07-02-2003, 07:58 AM
I will be posting photos soon I have the boat at the painters and we'll be getting it back maybe monday. The engine will not be back in it for a few weeks after that,be cause it is being rebuilt. The engine for the person who asked it a 1964 ford 427 with 2 4v 650 cfm carbs. it runs at 12.5:1 compression and the v drive is a hall craft with 14% over drive. Teh engine was taken from the Ford factory and sent to the Holman Moody shop in N.C. and was made race ready. It had 614 horse power when new. I'll post pics of the engine later but everything on the bosat is stock but the new paint and seat covers.

vdriver4ever
07-02-2003, 08:22 AM
I have a 427 Holman and Moody Ford in my 71 Nordskog. The FE big blocks are getting harder and harder to find. I would love to put some injection on it. However it's probably best to keep the speed down in order to preserve the boat. Who knows maybe your boat was one my dad put together??? I am looking forward to seeing the pictures.

DansBlown73Nordic
07-02-2003, 12:14 PM
I met a guy one day on the river by my house. [Susqahana River by Binghamton NY.] He flagged me down. I stopped and he says WoW I haven't seen a Stevens in years.
He went on to explain that him and two friends in 1973 all bought 17 ft Stevens. They were all small block powered. The funny part about his story is that the boats were all shipped by airplane. He claimed that they were flown into Scranton PA airport in a transport plane of some kind. I thought that was kinda strange.

64stevens
07-04-2003, 09:28 AM
Does any one know of v drive clubs in northern Ca? I would like to get more info on some and get to know others that love v drive boats.

Kindsvater Flat
07-04-2003, 09:41 AM
64stevens:
Does any one know of v drive clubs in northern Ca? I would like to get more info on some and get to know others that love v drive boats. Just follow this forum. There are quite of a few of us that go to Lake Berryessa, Camp Far West and numerous small lakes and rivers. There is always something planned 2 days before a weekend.

63stevens
07-04-2003, 09:44 AM
The Classic V-drive Club of America Headquarters are Located around Fresno. Most of their get togethers are located in Northern Cal. The web site is www.v-driveboats.com (http://www.v-driveboats.com)

roostwear
07-04-2003, 10:33 AM
Since most of the Stevens owners are here, do ANY of you have a good logo to take a good digital shot of?

stilettovdrive
07-04-2003, 10:45 AM
Damn,that looks good.
Do anyone have measurements or drawing for a stevens???
IT COULD VERY WELL END UP AS MY NEW PROJECT.
Thanks
Thomas "the viking" Gisler Larsen.
[ July 04, 2003, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: stilettovdrive ]

GN117 Big Dawg
07-04-2003, 11:37 AM
Stillettovdrive!!!! Damn it boy! A v-driver from Denmark, holy moly, I'll bet you got the only one
in town!?! Bet it gets a little lonesome at the lake or river that you guys go hot roddin' at !
Tell us about your flattie, what mo-mo, hull, trailer, tell us all the stuff man don't leave us hangin' post pics lot and lot of pics! Do you guys go circle racing or drag racing or what ? Who is the fast guy there, what are his numbers? If you are cirle racing, what classes do you all run, what are their rules? Talk to us!

stilettovdrive
07-04-2003, 12:30 PM
Well,Big Dawg, i am Currenley trying to upload the pictures of my boat.
Its currentley finished, without engine.
V-drive on the way from CA.
Yes, i probabley are the only one in denmark, who owns a v-drive flattie, there are a couple of v.- drive boats over here, bot no one designed and build for speed, like mine.
I have build the hull from scratch,in plywood, with fibreglass, and a whole lot of plasticpadding, sanding, and filling it is impossible to find a hull in Denmark, it has taken me 2,5-3 years by now, and i aim to launch, with homebuild Stainless headers, dodge challenger engine, next spring.at 6 o'clock in the morning,with open headers so all the neigbours at my parents holyday home will know that my boat is in the water, then we will have a party, get pissed, and celebrate my new project, whatever it ends up to be.
I currently dont have a trailer, you cant buy one for propeller in Denmark, they are all for outboard- setups, so the next will be to have my neigbour help me with the making of one.
I am playing with the thougt of making a trailer in stainless steel, since i have easy access to the materials.
Anyway, since i cant buy anything from shops on Denmark, i use these pages to seek advice, and to see pictures of things i need for the boat,so everything is prettymuch of my own construction.
I must admitt that i am totally chocked by this interrest for my boat, i am used to comments like " when you go that fast, you cant fish", and Why does it have to be a v8??"
"BEACAUSE IT WILL GO FASTER, YOU BORING PRICK DUUUHHHH",
AND NOW; GET OUT OF MY WORKSHOP; AND FIND A GAYBAR; GET PISSED; AND OUT OF MY FACE; THIS IS A THING FOR REAL MEN.
We dont have any classes or anything like that, simply beacause there is noone else but me who does this.
But i am sure it will be worth it.
Thomas "the viking " Gisler Larsen.
[ July 04, 2003, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: stilettovdrive ]

Kurtis500
07-04-2003, 03:14 PM
I must admitt that i am totally chocked by this interrest for my boat, i am used to comments like " when you go that fast, you cant fish", and Why does it have to be a v8??"
"BEACAUSE IT WILL GO FASTER, YOU BORING PRICK DUUUHHHH",
AND NOW; GET OUT OF MY WORKSHOP; AND FIND A GAYBAR; GET PISSED; AND OUT OF MY FACE; THIS IS A THING FOR REAL MEN.
We dont have any classes or anything like that, simply beacause there is noone else but me who does this.
But i am sure it will be worth it.
Thomas "the viking " Gisler Larsen.
Looks like you'll fit right in here! :D :D
I have 2 friends from Germany (Lufthansa pilots) who I regularly take out on my v-drive's to ski and screw around with. They love it so much, they keep coming back.....for 10 years now...

stilettovdrive
07-04-2003, 10:11 PM
Well, Kurtiss.
Yet another argument, that shows that germans are happy that they lost the war.
:D :D Thomas "The Viking " Gisler Larsen.

Kurtis500
07-04-2003, 10:20 PM
they lost the war.Which one?? eek! eek! :D

stilettovdrive
07-04-2003, 11:22 PM
WW.2 of course.
They are still trying to get us on the sausage-front :D :D
The viking

AzDon
07-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Mac Stevens? I think he was in that football movie with Burt Reynolds.... I think his hit song was "Baby Baby, Don't Get Hooked On Me" and it was slammed by feminists as sexist!

SPECTRABRENT
07-07-2003, 08:37 PM
Joe @ Joes Tooling worked for Stevens Boat Co.
I think he ran the glass shop.
Brent

EricinNv
07-07-2003, 09:34 PM
I've posted it before, but here it is again for you Stevens fans. 1965 Stevens with a 425? Buick.Red rock camp, Parker Az. August 1965 http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/516Dad_s_65_Stevens_Flat.jpg

64stevens
07-10-2003, 04:34 PM
Okay the boat just got back from the painters and we had it done to match the original paint job with red metalic flakes with white trim.
CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TO SEEE THE PICS
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32181f5c4bb&notag=1
HOW DO YOU POST THE PICS ON THE FORUM?

DansBlown73Nordic
07-10-2003, 05:17 PM
Looks really GREAT...I can't wait to see it all done.

WaynesWorld
11-23-2016, 05:12 PM
Hello. I see this post is very old. Hopefully you will see this message. I found a Stevens flat bottom with factory plate. No paperwork yet. Its a 17' 10'' with a V8 Olds engine. I've been doing research on Stevens and not too many came with V8 Olds engine. The boat looks all original. I'm wondering if you know what year it sounds like this boat is. Thank you.