PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Crash

Wizard29
08-12-2006, 11:32 AM
I was involed in a crash on my stree bike yesterday. Some guy pulled out of a driveway right in front of me and I laid it down and slid right in to his car. The bike still runs, but doesn't look very nice any more and I have a very small scrape on my knee and a small scrape on my arm. I was lucky to have these very minor injuries and people were amazed that I got up and started pulling my bike out from under the guy's car door.
So the police report will indicate him as at fault, but I wonder what the insurance companies will do. Maybe total my bike and give me enough to buy a new one. It may not be worth trying to fix. It'll need all new plastics on the right side, a new right side mirror, new brake levers (rear and front), new right side blinker, new headlight enclosure, and maybe new front forks - it looks like one of the shock seals got blown.
Anybody have any experience with how insurance companies handle motorcycles? This is a 98 CBR600 F3 with almost 35K miles on it. Will they total it, repair it or....? I'll sure be pissed if they total it and pay me Blue Book. I won't be able to replace it for what the book value is. I'm not thrilled with riding a bike that has been crashed and fixed either.

Outnumbered
08-12-2006, 11:38 AM
I was involed in a crash on my stree bike yesterday. Some guy pulled out of a driveway right in front of me and I laid it down and slid right in to his car. The bike still runs, but doesn't look very nice any more and I have a very small scrape on my knee and a small scrape on my arm. I was lucky to have these very minor injuries and people were amazed that I got up and started pulling my bike out from under the guy's car door.
So the police report will indicate him as at fault, but I wonder what the insurance companies will do. Maybe total my bike and give me enough to buy a new one. It may not be worth trying to fix. It'll need all new plastics on the right side, a new right side mirror, new brake levers (rear and front), new right side blinker, new headlight enclosure, and maybe new front forks - it looks like one of the shock seals got blown.
Anybody have any experience with how insurance companies handle motorcycles? This is a 98 CBR600 F3 with almost 35K miles on it. Will they total it, repair it or....? I'll sure be pissed if they total it and pay me Blue Book. I won't be able to replace it for what the book value is. I'm not thrilled with riding a bike that has been crashed and fixed either.
Don't settle with the insurance until you are happy. Don't sign any waivers until you are happy. If you are not comfortable, get a lawyer.
I focking hate insurance co's. Last time my wife got tagged I had to fight to get my way from the insurance. If its not your fault, why should you settle for anything less than 100% satisfaction?
BTW, glad you are OK. What kind of gear were you wearing?

Wizard29
08-12-2006, 11:42 AM
What kind of gear were you wearing?
Shorts, my button up short sleeve work shirt, and a backpack. Of course a helmet too. I wasn't going very fast, but luck was still on my side.

centerhill condor
08-12-2006, 11:48 AM
you are very lucky.... why push it. get what you can from this experience money wise and by a high mpg car. The wife and I were returning from the lake waiting for the light to go green with a bike on our left in the turn lane. This guy "head on" hit the bike and the guy jumped off the bike landed on his feet. I swear I thought the guy had an "S" on his chest. He had a hurt hand and rode in the ambulance just to be sure. The driver of the cage said he fell asleep and the wife and I were the last to leave the scene. no charges, no ticket....nobody cares if a biker gets kia 'cause bikes are dangerous! make note to self. don't be a statistic!
You won't get another chance at this...buy your lottery ticket and get a car... these people will kill you while talking to their boyfriend and not even lose their place in the conversation. Nothing you can do but learn!
BTW every year in TN more people are kia crossing the street than riding bikes....maybe pedestrians should be required to wear helments or be tested for at least IQ85!
Congrats BTW... you lived!

YeLLowBoaT
08-12-2006, 11:49 AM
That reminds me of the CHP officer said when I was side swiped by a guy on a bike... " who ever has the most lug nuts wins."
I am glad you were not hurt in your wreck.

SnakeWrench
08-12-2006, 11:49 AM
9/10 times the insurance company will look in the cycle trader and get an average for your bike and that is usually what they will try to pay you. Make sure that when they give you an offer that you always check with someone to make sure you are getting a straight deal. Also, even though you were not injured seriously, you are still eligable for compinsation. Just remember, screwing an insurance company is tempting karma. lol

Havasu Hangin'
08-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Here's my experience with insurance companies.
I was riding my bicycle...no helmet (it's legal). A lady cut in front of me into a driveway. I hit her so hard, I dented her rear quarter panel with my head- I was knocked out.
The police show up and cite her for an unsafe turn (based on all the witnesses that stopped).
Her insurance company (Mercury) fought me on every charge. All I was asking for was them to fix the $900 damage to my bike, and they said, "you exibited unsafe behavior by not wearing a helmet."
I finally had to get a lawyer. Mercury needs to quit recruiting their adjusters from Carl's Jr.

Wizard29
08-12-2006, 12:02 PM
You won't get another chance at this...buy your lottery ticket and get a car... these people will kill you while talking to their boyfriend and not even lose their place in the conversation. Nothing you can do but learn!
I have four other vehicles, but I like the bike because I can split traffic on my way home on the 15 freeway. In the afternoons, the 15 and 215 intersection is a nightmare and would add about an hour per day to my drive time if I was in a car.
You are right about the lottery ticket though. I just hope my luck continues with what the insurance companies want to give me. I'd just be happy with a new (not necessarily BRAND new) bike that is more or less what I had.

Wizard29
08-12-2006, 12:04 PM
And by the way, the other guy has Geico. Anybody know if you have to fight with them much to get them to pay?

YeLLowBoaT
08-12-2006, 12:05 PM
I have four other vehicles, but I like the bike because I can split traffic on my way home on the 15 freeway. In the afternoons, the 15 and 215 intersection is a nightmare and would add about an hour per day to my drive time if I was in a car.
You are right about the lottery ticket though. I just hope my luck continues with what the insurance companies want to give me. I'd just be happy with a new (not necessarily BRAND new) bike that is more or less what I had.
lane spilting should be ILLEGAL. Its one of the biggest cuases of wrecks.

wsuwrhr
08-12-2006, 12:12 PM
2500-3500. If you are lucky.
Your bike is 8 years old. Nice bike no doubt, but bikes depreciate fast.
I am almost sure they will total it out based on the cost of the plastics alone.
Be happy you made it out without any major injuries. Take the loss and move up to a liter bike.
You'll be glad you did.
Brian

Wizard29
08-12-2006, 12:13 PM
lane spilting should be ILLEGAL. Its one of the biggest cuases of wrecks.
I disagree. The biggest cause of wrecks related to lane sharing is, in my opinion, people who don't check their clearance before changing lanes.

wsuwrhr
08-12-2006, 12:17 PM
In addition, You mentioned you had to pull the bike out from under the car. I wouldn't suggest buying the bike back if the car ran over the bike. Forks bent....and and and, not worth it.
The hidden damage to the motorcycle could be the alignment of the front and rear tires.
Speed wobble never happens in a good way.
Brian

wsuwrhr
08-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Count your lucky stars and just get another bike.

YeLLowBoaT
08-12-2006, 12:19 PM
I said ONE of the biggest.
Your right the biggest cuase is ppl not seeing the bike. Some of which is the cars fualt others its the bikes. I still don't think it should be legal, I have been sidesiwped and lost 2 mirros thanks to bikes lane spilting. 2 out of the 3 times its sent ppl in a ambulance. Last time the guy had a compound fractor of his arm after going over the bars when he hit my mirror with his brake handle.

wsuwrhr
08-12-2006, 12:20 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63cbr1.jpg
I'm not just talking out of my ass. I do ride.

76ANTHONY
08-12-2006, 12:25 PM
just got done with a gieco claim here at work. 4500 dollars on a vt750 areo..geico pays there bills and dont even consider ever giving us a hard time about it....

76ANTHONY
08-12-2006, 12:28 PM
your bikes bookin at about 3100 dollars, check prices at your local dealer and see what the parts are worth. pm me all the parts and i'll check them in my parts dept if you need me to

wsuwrhr
08-12-2006, 12:31 PM
your bikes bookin at about 3100 dollars, check prices at your local dealer and see what the parts are worth. pm me all the parts and i'll check them in my parts dept if you need me to
Don't kill the guy.

76ANTHONY
08-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Don't kill the guy.
hahahaha, hell the new ones are cheap so i guess they dont book at much, that bike handles nice and its good for tricks, but i geuss they dont give them much value.....just but a cbr1000rr...vroooooooom :)

76ANTHONY
08-12-2006, 12:33 PM
what year is that????

wsuwrhr
08-12-2006, 12:34 PM
what year is that????

wsuwrhr
08-12-2006, 12:35 PM
hahahaha, hell the new ones are cheap so i guess they dont book at much, that bike handles nice and its good for tricks, but i geuss they dont give them much value.....just but a cbr1000rr...vroooooooom :)
I just think that bike has sustained damage to the chassis.
Forks bent and a blown fork seal? Bike under the car?
Time for a new horse.

76ANTHONY
08-12-2006, 12:36 PM
dam thats clean, my parts guy has a 93 and its his fricken baby, everything on that bikes new.....nice bike and got hugeeee balls....

76ANTHONY
08-12-2006, 12:37 PM
I just think that bike has sustained damage to the chassis.
Forks bent and a blown fork seal? Bike under the car?
Time for a new horse.
geico will fix it, hope he goes through his ins so they total it...

wsuwrhr
08-12-2006, 12:37 PM
I hope you have had years of riding experience and this is your first time down.
Two types of riders, those who have been down, and those who are going to go down.
Brian

wsuwrhr
08-12-2006, 12:40 PM
dam thats clean, my parts guy has a 93 and its his fricken baby, everything on that bikes new.....nice bike and got hugeeee balls....
It was fast in it's day. When I first got it, there wasn't much out there that would touch it.
There are many bikes out there that will flat whoop its ass now. Plenty of power though.
It has had a few new plastics. :rollside: :rollside:
But I do take care of it.
Brian

76ANTHONY
08-12-2006, 12:41 PM
It was fast in it's day. when I first got it, there wasn't much out there that would touch it.
There are many bikes out there that will flat whoop its ass now. Plenty of power though.
It has had a few new plastics. :rollside: :rollside:
But I do take care of it.
Brian
yeah but i bet the rides still clean on it. got plenty of power, it'll pull up in 3rd, thats fast enough for me :)

76ANTHONY
08-12-2006, 12:42 PM
here ya go, get one of these, anyone of these
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2764stephens_new_ride_002.jpg

wsuwrhr
08-12-2006, 12:48 PM
here ya go, get one of these, anyone of these
You are in Utah right?
I wanted and RC51 something awful when I was really into riding. Before I bought a house, and before I got married, before I started my own business, before, before, before. Sucks getting old.
I also have the same year Anthony as you do.
I found it funny when she was on Ducati America and Honda websites at the same time. I thwarted my wife's plans for christmas, said she was looking into getting me a new bike. She started asking alot of questions when before she always showed little or no interest in my motorcycle.
Brian

76ANTHONY
08-12-2006, 12:50 PM
You are in Utah right?
I wanted and RC51 something awful when I was really into riding. Before I bought a house, and before I got married, before I started my own business, before, before, before. Sucks getting old.
I found it funny when she was on Ducati America and Honda websites at the same time. I thwarted my wife's plans for christmas, said she was looking into getting me a new bike. She started asking alot of questions when before she always showed little or no interest in my motorcycle.
Brian
hahaha, no im in palm springs cali....yeah the rc51 is a rocket.....im still all for the inline 4's, no twins here...

Wet Dream
This is my baby. Its a 91. I dropped it the day I bought it. Hit a patch of gravel at night that was on the road. Never saw it. I took off making aleft hand turn from a stop sign and the ass end came around, then hooked and flipped it on the right side. Same thing, lost everything on the right. I parked it in the garage, went straight to the computer and ordered new parts. They were here in a few days. $1500 later, its back to almost new. A couple of scratches on the stickers near the top, but thats all.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/352Mvc-682f.jpg

76ANTHONY
You are in Utah right?
Brian
you got pics of your boat???

76ANTHONY
08-12-2006, 12:52 PM
This is my baby. Its a 91. I dropped it the day I bought it. Hit a patch of gravel at night that was on the road. Never saw it. I took off making aleft hand turn from a stop sign and the ass end came around, then hooked and flipped it on the right side. Same thing, lost everything on the right. I parked it in the garage, went straight to the computer and ordered new parts. They were here in a few days. $1500 later, its back to almost new. A couple of scratches on the stickers near the top, but thats all.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/352Mvc-682f.jpg
i love seein pics of proud owners bikes, all i see here is people beatin the crap outta them........nice ride.

wsuwrhr
08-12-2006, 01:04 PM
hahaha, no im in palm springs cali....yeah the rc51 is a rocket.....im still all for the inline 4's, no twins here...
Oh ok,
I thought you were in Utah.

wsuwrhr
08-12-2006, 01:06 PM
you got pics of your boat???
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63avi5-med.jpg

wsuwrhr
08-12-2006, 01:08 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63boattrailerside.jpg

wsuwrhr
08-12-2006, 01:09 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63boattruck.jpg

Wet Dream
08-12-2006, 01:29 PM
i love seein pics of proud owners bikes, all i see here is people beatin the crap outta them........nice ride.
Thank you.

Froggystyle
08-12-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm not just talking out of my ass. I do ride.
You should step up to a liter bike... ;)
http://www.craiglathrop.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=690&g2_serialNumber=2

76ANTHONY
08-12-2006, 01:45 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63boattruck.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2764DSCF0187.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2764DSCF0191.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2764DSCF0194.JPG

wsuwrhr
08-12-2006, 02:40 PM
900 is close enough buddy.
You should step up to a liter bike... ;)
http://www.craiglathrop.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=690&g2_serialNumber=2

Wizard29
08-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Okay, you hijackers....
The bike didn't get run over by the car. When it slid, it just kind of got stuck underneath the driver's door. Wasn't too hard to get it out. Even so, I wouldn't be thrilled with going 80 again on a bike that has been fixed. If the bike books at $3100 or whatever, I would think the new plastics and other parts would be more than that. Add to that these injuries I have (relatively benign, but somewhat painful) and maybe I can get a fair deal here. One of my legs is quite a bit sore today too - something I didn't feel yesterday, so add that to the list.
I've been riding for about five years and this is the first time down. It's the first time the bike has ever been on its side and I've taken extremely good care of it. No scratches up until now. That's why I'm of the opinion that simply paying me the value of what a regular 98 CBR would go for won't be sufficient to replace what I had.

76ANTHONY
08-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Okay, you hijackers....
The bike didn't get run over by the car. When it slid, it just kind of got stuck underneath the driver's door. Wasn't too hard to get it out. Even so, I wouldn't be thrilled with going 80 again on a bike that has been fixed. If the bike books at $3100 or whatever, I would think the new plastics and other parts would be more than that. Add to that these injuries I have (relatively benign, but somewhat painful) and maybe I can get a fair deal here. One of my legs is quite a bit sore today too - something I didn't feel yesterday, so add that to the list.
I've been riding for about five years and this is the first time down. It's the first time the bike has ever been on its side and I've taken extremely good care of it. No scratches up until now. That's why I'm of the opinion that simply paying me the value of what a regular 98 CBR would go for won't be sufficient to replace what I had.
IM sure your right about the value. i would say you shouldnt have a big battle with geico, they are pretty good about paying for their insured's issues. if you do need anything let me know, i could do an estimate for ya...
scott

wsuwrhr
08-12-2006, 03:17 PM
OK, well you mentioned you had to get it out from underneath the car and one of the fork seals had failed. Sounded like a good impact to me.
I am most glad that you didn't get hurt.
Bikes are precise when it comes to front to rear wheel alignment, expecially with the newer aluminum frames. If you have ever experienced speed wobble, it isn't a pretty feeling.
Unfortunately the insurance doesn't care how nice it was. Maybe Geico is better.
When I crashed my 900 it was 4-5 years old. Damage to the right side, plastics, bars, levers, the whole deal. $3000 damage. The insurance wanted to total it out, give me low blue book and be done with it. It was hard work to get them to fix it.
Brian
Okay, you hijackers....

Wizard29
08-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I'd rather not have it fixed. The handlebars no longer line up with the front wheel, which means they shifted a bit on the head tube, so it did sustain an impact. The bars can be straightened to line up with the wheel again, but who knows about the frame. It could be a safety issue even if they fix all of the cosmetics.
If I have to, I can always let them know I could play the injury card to a point. I'm thinking that $5K with them letting me keep the old bike would be reasonable. Factor in the injuries (minor but painful nontheless), the taxes and license fees I'll have to pay on getting a new bike, and probably a higher insurance premium for a different bike, $5K seems reasonable and could be looked at as the insurance company getting off easy. I'm sure the majority of most injury crashes (that's what the police wrote it as) these days result in payouts of a lot more than that.
Not trying to stick it to the insurance company, just trying to get back to where I was...

Jim W
08-12-2006, 03:38 PM
I was involed in a crash on my stree bike yesterday. Some guy pulled out of a driveway right in front of me and I laid it down and slid right in to his car.
I am curious as to why you "laid it down"???
Be good, Jim

Debbolas
08-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Scream saw a motorcycle accident yesterday on Mountain Avenue below 6th street. The bike was under a truck....was that you?

Wizard29
08-12-2006, 03:44 PM
It was either lay it down or t-bone him right in the side and possibly go over the bars and have me hit the car or go over the car into whatever else was behind him.
If I'm on course to hit something, I'd rather have the bike hit it before I do. A shield of sorts...

Wizard29
08-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Scream saw a motorcycle accident yesterday on Mountain Avenue below 6th street. The bike was under a truck....was that you?
Wasn't me. I was on Archibald x 19th. My bike vs. a Toyota Tercel.

NOTALENT
08-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Sorry to hear it bro...Glad your ok. I wouldnt give up my bike for anything. Im mellow with her on the streets...ride just as if I was driving a car...I dont care much for lane splitting or sharing lanes. I will do it rarely.

Froggystyle
08-12-2006, 05:29 PM
"2, takedown, Tercel..."

Debbolas
08-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Hey, neighbor :D
Glad you're ok....I laid my bike down twice(back in the 80's) once gravel on the road and the second time, oil.........scarey!!! :220v:
(little 125);)

Jim W
08-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Wizard,
from the time you decided to lay it down mentally, to the actual impact....how far in ft. would you say it was??
About how fast were you going??
Just curious.
Be good, Jim

Wizard29
08-13-2006, 04:19 PM
I saw the car pop out in front of me about 10 feet ahead. I was moving between the traffic at about 5-10MPH.
Sequence of thought was:
Car, brakes, not stopping in time - you're going to hit, get the bike in front.
Not a real hard impact, but enough to slide the bike some and make me sore for the weekend.
Do you ride, Jim?

Jim W
08-13-2006, 05:43 PM
I saw the car pop out in front of me about 10 feet ahead. I was moving between the traffic at about 5-10MPH.
Sequence of thought was:
Car, brakes, not stopping in time - you're going to hit, get the bike in front.
Not a real hard impact, but enough to slide the bike some and make me sore for the weekend.
Do you ride, Jim?
Yes Wizard, I ride. For 33 years now. On the road that is. More before that.
Not trying to be a dick here, but I want to try and explain why you should never---ever lay a bike down.
When you make the decision to let go of the control's, you have totally lost control of where you are going and at what speed. You just become an object at speed, with an unknown vector, remember, you are no longer incontrol. Not good.
With today's bikes and their incredible handling and braking your best "impact scenario" is totally on the brakes to get your self slowed down as much as possiable, right up to the last instant/foot you are slowing at an incredible rate. If you drop the bike, you are sliding and not losing any real speed.
You also have lost any directional input. If you put the bike down, you might have chosen, gone for, your best impact site (drivers door???) but what if the guy stops short and you go into the back of a 18 wheeler bumper? Or he sees you, goes forward, the bike hits the rear tire and "kicks up" with you going for a airborne ride into traffic, or????
You said, "I was moving between the traffic at about 5-10MPH."
OK, let's split it at 7.5 MPH
Follow my math here.
7.5 MPH.....is 5280 (ft. per mile) X 7.5 MPH=39,600 ft. per hr.
divide 39,600 by 60 to get ft. per min.= 660 ft. per min.
divide 660 by 60 to get ft. per min.= 11 ft. per sec.
So, you say,....you in 1 sec....saw the car, made the mental decision to lay the bike down and got it all done in 1 second and within 10 feet????
I call BS----------
at best you did it all in 2 seconds and I would bet it really was 3 seconds or a touch more.
If you had mentally trained yourself to never let go of the handlebars and get off the brakes, you would of stopped before hitting the car!!
2-3 seconds to stop from 7.5 MPH is no problem, if that was mentally "set" into your brain.
One of the best way's to solve a problem is to take it to an extreme.
Let's say you are doing 75 MPH (10 time's you speed as you stated) someone pulls in front of you with 100 ft. to impact.
Would you really lay the bike down and take what comes????
Never let go of the brakes man!!! You are slowing down, even at impact!!!
Sequence of thought was:.............but should be.........
Car, brakes, not stopping in time-----BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not trying to make you look bad or anything.
I just want you to stay alive.
Be good, Jim

Wizard29
08-13-2006, 06:05 PM
You can call BS if you want, but you weren't there and you'll also know (having been riding for 33 years) that things happen fast and you have almost no time to react.
I did apply the brakes. There is a small flat spot in the rear tire. Even the cop noticed it and said, "At least you tried." Apparently they didn't do a whole lot of good on that surface (new pavement), which is why I wasn't stopping.
I firmly believe that had I stayed on top of the bike, I may have ended up right in the guy's driver's side window or propelled over his car and into the cars on the other side of him (no brakes or directional control there either).
People were amazed I immediately got up and started to move my bike from under the car. With regard to my decisions, I think my minor injuries and mostly only cosmetic damage to the bike speak for themselves.

Jim W
08-13-2006, 06:11 PM
You have your wife on the back.
You drop the bike down and she should????
Be good, Jim

Wizard29
08-13-2006, 06:16 PM
I never ride doubles. Bikes with only one person aren't that safe. With two people, it's just a really bad idea.

Jim W
08-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Wizard,
do you still stand behind your 5-10 MPH and 10 ft. statement?
Be good, Jim

Wizard29
08-13-2006, 06:24 PM
It's an estimation I stand behind.
I didn't have the radar gun and measuring tape out at the time, but you know...
I'll also stand behind my contention that my injuries probably would have been a lot worse had I not let the bike hit the car before I did.

Jim W
08-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Be good, Jim

Wizard29
08-13-2006, 06:28 PM
Be good, Jim
I hear you. I did stay alive and as uninjured as possible (I believe) due to my decision. I'm able to type these posts right now. A different option may have seen me not so lucky.
A collision here was unavoidable.

Jim W
08-13-2006, 06:47 PM
Wizard,
just replay it in your mind. Think my friend.
Think about the reality of it.
You can't lay a bike down in 10 ft. with a 1 second reaction time.
Double it to 2 seconds and 20 ft. Hard to do really.
so........ could you have stopped the bike in time???
Or been damn near stopped???
I am trying to get you to understand that you should NEVER let go of the BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont die doing something stupid!!!
God, I hate when someone brag's to me they "laid their bide down" to survive an accident.
Yeah that's what race drivers do, just before an impact, they undo their belts, let off the brakes and take off their helmets and say, hey, let's just see what happen's????
Be good, Jim

Kilrtoy
08-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Yes Wizard, I ride. For 33 years now. On the road that is. More before that.
Not trying to be a dick here, but I want to try and explain why you should never---ever lay a bike down.
When you make the decision to let go of the control's, you have totally lost control of where you are going and at what speed. You just become an object at speed, with an unknown vector, remember, you are no longer incontrol. Not good.
With today's bikes and their incredible handling and braking your best "impact scenario" is totally on the brakes to get your self slowed down as much as possiable, right up to the last instant/foot you are slowing at an incredible rate. If you drop the bike, you are sliding and not losing any real speed.
You also have lost any directional input. If you put the bike down, you might have chosen, gone for, your best impact site (drivers door???) but what if the guy stops short and you go into the back of a 18 wheeler bumper? Or he sees you, goes forward, the bike hits the rear tire and "kicks up" with you going for a airborne ride into traffic, or????
You said, "I was moving between the traffic at about 5-10MPH."
OK, let's split it at 7.5 MPH
Follow my math here.
7.5 MPH.....is 5280 (ft. per mile) X 7.5 MPH=39,600 ft. per hr.
divide 39,600 by 60 to get ft. per min.= 660 ft. per min.
divide 660 by 60 to get ft. per min.= 11 ft. per sec.
So, you say,....you in 1 sec....saw the car, made the mental decision to lay the bike down and got it all done in 1 second and within 10 feet????
I call BS----------
at best you did it all in 2 seconds and I would bet it really was 3 seconds or a touch more.
If you had mentally trained yourself to never let go of the handlebars and get off the brakes, you would of stopped before hitting the car!!
2-3 seconds to stop from 7.5 MPH is no problem, if that was mentally "set" into your brain.
One of the best way's to solve a problem is to take it to an extreme.
Let's say you are doing 75 MPH (10 time's you speed as you stated) someone pulls in front of you with 100 ft. to impact.
Would you really lay the bike down and take what comes????
Never let go of the brakes man!!! You are slowing down, even at impact!!!
Sequence of thought was:.............but should be.........
Car, brakes, not stopping in time-----BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Be good, Jim
Great advice!
Scrub as much speed as possible off and aim for the low point of the vehicle if collision is inevitable.
NEVER LAY YOUR BIKE DOWN
most people die from internal organ damage due to transfer of organs at speeds of 17 Plus mph. better to fly and break bones
to simplify speed.
MPH X 1.47 will give you feet per second travelled
also 1.5 seconds time feet travelled prior to application of braking

76ANTHONY
08-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Wizard,
just replay it in your mind. Think my friend.
Think about the reality of it.
You can't lay a bike down in 10 ft. with a 1 second reaction time.
Double it to 2 seconds and 20 ft. Hard to do really.
so........ could you have stopped the bike in time???
Or been damn near stopped???
I am trying to get you to understand that you should NEVER let go of the BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont die doing something stupid!!!
God, I hate when someone brag's to me they "laid their bide down" to survive an accident.
Yeah that's what race drivers do, just before an impact, they undo their belts, let off the brakes and take off their helmets and say, hey, let's just see what happen's????
Be good, Jim
ok im starting to see what your saying, had a car pull out in front of me once, about twenty feet or so and i was going a good 25 on a two lane street, the thought of laying my bike down never entered my mind, had both my hand and foot on brakes, got me outta the situation, i do see what your trying to instill....
keep it real

Racer277
08-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Flat spot on the rear tire? It should have never touched the ground.
Stay on the brakes, rubber has much higher co/friction than plastic and aluminum.
+1 to Jim

Wizard29
08-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Every situation is different and everybody has thier opinion.
I believe that if I had stayed on the bike, I (me, not the bike) would have gone into his driver's window or over the bike and into stopped cars on the other side of him. I prefer the outcome I had to the alternative. Keep in mind this was on new pavement (literally about three days old) and the brakes just weren't doing the job. In fact, my hand slid across the pavement and left me with a minor burn instead of tearing away the skin and making a road rash like regular aged pavement would have.
On Monday it's always easy to say how the game should have been played on Sunday...

Jim W
08-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Flat spot on the rear tire? It should have never touched the ground.
Stay on the brakes, rubber has much higher co/friction than plastic and aluminum.
+1 to Jim
Damn,
I forgot all about the co/friction of plastic.
But at this point it should be a moot point.
Be good, Jim

Jim W
08-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Wizard,
admit it,
You decided to loose control of............your direction,your life really.
You made out ok, but it could of been worse.
Think my friend, think.
Be good, Jim
God, I hate stupid people

Wizard29
08-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Yes, at 5 to 10MPH, I chose to lose control and let the bike make impact before I did. And I got out with minimal injury instead of being wedged into his window or ejected over the car. Shame on me. If it were a higher speed, I probably would have made a different decision.
You are correct - it could have been worse. I could have stayed on top of the bike and landed in the hospital after being ejected and raking my legs over the bars.
And as far as calling me stupid, well, that's not very nice. But what else would I expect from a New Yorker...

RitcheyRch
08-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Thankfully you were not hurt more than you were.

RitcheyRch
08-13-2006, 07:38 PM
My Grandfather (God rest his soul) always said that.
Two types of riders, those who have been down, and those who are going to go down.