PDA

View Full Version : California Yacht Wanted in 2 yrs.

Cole Sanger
08-12-2006, 12:25 PM
I was thinking about buying a big boat in southern CA to stay on when we go out there. I was thinking about less than $50th and preferably less than $40th. I just went out and paid $277 for two nights stay in Huntington Beach. I have family in San Diego and Newport Beach. I know of a place in San Diego that was near Crown Point that I used to launch at that just had boats that were tied up to bouys. It was safe because they were in the San Diego Bay Harbor. I was thinking about something larger than 25ft with enough room for my two kids and my wife and myself. I wouldn't need anything fancy, just a replacement for a hotel. I would want it to be fiberglass so I don't have to mess with all the wood. I have seen a few boats that fit the requirement. I was wondering if anyone else has thought about doing this, or has done it. If it worked out, I was thinking I could rent it out to friends and family. This boat would have to be reliable as I would want to go from San Diego to Newport Bay. Anyway, I am starting to do my homework now. I am planning on doing this in the next two years. My kids are pretty young, so the wife doesn't want to try it until the youngest is atleast 3.

BajaMike
08-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Sounds like a good plan....the biggest problem will be getting a slip or a mooring. You usually just have to buy a boat that has a slip. I was on the waiting list for over a year just to get a parking spot for my little 20' boat on the trailer at Dana Point.
I think the waiting list is longer in San Diego and Newport it's just about non-existant, unless you own a house there on the water (people buy multi-million dollar houses in Newport just to get the dock space).
Good luck!!
:rollside:

LHC30Victory
08-12-2006, 12:42 PM
We have been looking at this option for several years. We decided that for a nearly full time live aboard, we would need a two stateroom boat with a flybridge and in the range of at least 38ft. Other than that, it would serve as a two dayer max.
We have the good fortune of knowing the owner of DeBusk Marine in Marina Del Rey. He services the big boys (up to Serengetti - Carsons boat) and has been sailing all his life. He has seen many folks like us buy then sell. The best arrangement he has seen work time and again is to buy a condo near the water and a boat that will serve for four days comfortably.

burtandnancy
08-12-2006, 01:04 PM
You may want to look at Fractional Ownership since you won't want the boat full time. Wife and I came real close to a two bedroom, two bath Sunseeker moored in Newport Beach. Price included captain (manditory for 1st 25 hours) maid service, 1 underground parking spot, snacks/beer/wine, etc. Buy in was OK, monthly costs OK, and at the end of 30 months they sell your boat and split the equity between the 4 partners. We just couldn't justify 82 days of use per year between San Diego, Catalina, Santa Barbara, Mexico, etc. It may fit your needs.

BajaMike
08-12-2006, 01:24 PM
You may want to look at Fractional Ownership since you won't want the boat full time. Wife and I came real close to a two bedroom, two bath Sunseeker moored in Newport Beach. Price included captain (manditory for 1st 25 hours) maid service, 1 underground parking spot, snacks/beer/wine, etc. Buy in was OK, monthly costs OK, and at the end of 30 months they sell your boat and split the equity between the 4 partners. We just couldn't justify 82 days of use per year between San Diego, Catalina, Santa Barbara, Mexico, etc. It may fit your needs.
How much was the buy in and monthly costs.....sounds interesting.
:rollside:

burtandnancy
08-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Baja, they have a number of boats on the fractional ownership list from a 35' Portafino's to the largest Predator. We were looking at the 61 Predator, unbelievable boat. Here is the toll free # for SeaNet in Newport Beach;
866 873 2638. Hope you find what you are looking for...

Mr. Naudio
08-12-2006, 02:26 PM
beer

Mardonzi
08-12-2006, 03:17 PM
How about this one?? It's for sale and based out of the Marriott Marina next to Seaport Village.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3335HPIM0876.JPG
The Bro in Law owns a Yacht Brokerage down there if you would like me to hook you up with him

burtandnancy
08-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Mardonzi, is that the "White Light"?

Mardonzi
08-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Mardonzi, is that the "White Light"?
It's the "Livin Rite", a 70 ft Aluminum hull Chris Craft.

burtandnancy
08-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Very interesting. We chartered its sister ship "White Light", a 70' (unknown construction) Chris earlier this year, thats why I asked. Ours was out of Newport Beach. It had been refitted with new Detroits and stabilizers and was very, very nice and we'll probably do it again someday...

Mardonzi
08-12-2006, 03:37 PM
My understanding is that this boat was formerly owned by the actor, Geroge Hamilton.

burtandnancy
08-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Could be, theres a large sunning area up on the fordeck...

Cole Sanger
08-12-2006, 06:15 PM
I thought about the fractional ownership, but I am at this time thinking about purchasing outright. I don't like having to schedule when I want to use it. I work Sun-Tue and every other Sat, so I think I would be able to use it a lot. It's a 6 hour drive from AZ. I just hate paying for a hotel. If I could find a bouy to tie up to for say less than $300 a month, I would be happy. I figure if I get 12 people a year to pay me $300 a week, the storage would be paid for.
As far as the condo goes, that would put me at about $500,000 as a guess. Ten times what I am thinking about.

SOCALDETAIL1
08-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Call me if intrested I detail a lot of 30' and over boats from Marina Del Rey to Newport and have a few connections at yacht dealerships and can get you a slip in Redondo or Huntington pretty easy. One thing you have to remember is you will have slip charges, bottom cleaning and wash downs charges on a monthly basis. But worth it when your on the water enjoying the ocean sunsets. Mark 562-544-4732

Cole Sanger
08-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Mark,
Any idea what that monthly stuff would cost? Better yet, where I should start looking online? The best website I have found so far is yachtworld.com. Seems to be a lot of good boats on there. Oh, and I am only starting my quest. I am not going to be buying for a couple of years. But thanks for the offer.

SOCALDETAIL1
08-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Mark,
Any idea what that monthly stuff would cost? Better yet, where I should start looking online? The best website I have found so far is yachtworld.com. Seems to be a lot of good boats on there. Oh, and I am only starting my quest. I am not going to be buying for a couple of years. But thanks for the offer.
Washdowns are bi-weekly about $2.00 a foot slip rental in Huntington is about $15.00 a foot, I can usually get it for $10.00 a foot, and bottom scrapping varies because alot of the times they have to change the zinc out. I know a few salesman at Long Beach Yach Sales so if your planning on coming down anytime give me a call and we can shoot down there, they have a few locations. Also a good source is the Mariners Directory available online and you can pick up one for free at West Marine.

Cole Sanger
08-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks Mark. I will stop by West Marine this week. We aren't planning on coming out until November. I will let you know when we will be out there. Thanks for the help.