PDA

View Full Version : Excursion spark plug issue

THOR
08-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Okay, so I blew out (completely) a spark plug on my V10 Excursion. Is there any relation to this and also having a chip, exhaust and air intake?
I am told that this is a very common problem. Anyone ever had this problem?

JB in so cal
08-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Go here and do a search. Very common.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

TheLurker
08-12-2006, 08:20 PM
I had a plug blow out also! After doing some research I found out it was a common problem and the head was redesigned solve the problem.
RANT ON!!!
I called Ford Customer Service and told them if the head had to be redesigned it must be a design flaw to begin with and while I did not expect them to replace the head for free I felt they should reduce the cost.
They told me I first had to have it positively diagnosed by one of their techs. and then they would see what they could do. WTF, Its kind of obvious when the plug blows out of the hole and the 3 measly threads that held it in were stripped what the problem was but I took it to Rancho Santa Margarita Ford like they said to and after the service department looked at it they said they would be in touch with Ford Customer Service and me.
They called me back and said Ford will not discount anything. I think they are afraid to because of the precedent it would set with the number of V10's that have had this problem and they do not want a recall on this. Now RSM Ford said that they would try to give me a little off the bill. Well I am not in the biz. and don’t know what the real cost of parts and labor are but I figured a head would cost about $1,000 and 10 Hours of labor (which I thought was very generous amount of time) at $70.00 / hour would be about
$1700.00 which I was willing to pay but the dealership said the best they could do would cost about double that price so I said Thank you very much but that’s way to much to pay for what I believe is a design flaw I'll take my car now.
Now here they added insult to injury. For the Ford service tech to look at the engine and confirm the obvious problem for the customer service people I had to sign the work order. Now they said it would be $100.00 to get my Excursion back. So I had to pay $100.00 for nothing!
I told them for about the $1500 we were apart on the repair bill it cost them a loyal customer, (All of my vehicles are Fords and I made sure I got the ford chassis on the motor home) I will be in the market to replace my commuter truck and what they would have profited would have made up the difference between what I was willing to pay for repairs and the price they wanted. I also told them I would NEVER buy a Ford product or service again!
Only thing I did not do was write the Corporate office a letter to tell them their stragety to alienate customers and loose even more market share was working.
Rant Off
GMC here I come

flatnfast
08-13-2006, 06:25 AM
we have had this concern happen several times, being a ford tech you have two choices, you could buy a new cylinder head or put a insert into the head and then a new plug, we have installed hundreds of inserts and never have had one come back for issues from that repair, completeprocess takes about 15/20 minutes.

502 JET
08-13-2006, 08:29 AM
I have used this kit a few times on 4.6 liters fords it says it will work on the 10 cyls also.We have not had any problems after repairing with the inserts.You dont have to remove the head to repair the hole.Take a look at the kit Lisle Tools (http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=1132)

CBadDad
08-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Lurker, i feel your pain, unfortunately, it is not only Ford. There just isn't any service in customer service anymore. :angry2:

riverroyal
08-13-2006, 12:24 PM
02 03?

THOR
08-13-2006, 01:11 PM
02 03?
'01. I am pissed because this in my most favorite tow rig ever. I was seriously contemplating getting the diesel option when I bought mine, but I am very happy with the V10, especially since I see the diesel prices now too.