PDA

View Full Version : Power Stering Prob.

lewiville
08-13-2006, 10:39 AM
when I start up my boat, sometimes ( not all the time ) the stering wheel shakes back and forth. I cant get it for the life of me. I get dvice to start the motor and take the cap off the power stering pump and turn the wheel side to side to get the air out that might be there. Didnt work, any idea's?

Froggystyle
08-13-2006, 11:29 AM
when I start up my boat, sometimes ( not all the time ) the stering wheel shakes back and forth. I cant get it for the life of me. I get dvice to start the motor and take the cap off the power stering pump and turn the wheel side to side to get the air out that might be there. Didnt work, any idea's?
I've never heard of that before. They don't really work like that actually... All of you shudder is from the actual steering assembly, not the pump. The pump just provides pressure to the unit. As you turn the wheel, the assist from the pump helps you within the power steering unit.
For it to go back and forth, that tells me that fluid is getting on both sides of the cylinder and alternating.
I don't know exactly how power steering works in boats, but I know for sure how they work on a car-style. If that problem happened in boats, I think it would be the same thing. Bad steering system, not bad pump.

LHC30Victory
08-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Had this problem with the twin setup I put in. Long story short-Turns out it was a helm unit that couldnt handle the flow right at idle. A bit confusing but the expert help I got from IMCO - Nevada, put a fix to it.

lewiville
08-13-2006, 03:33 PM
I've never heard of that before. They don't really work like that actually... All of you shudder is from the actual steering assembly, not the pump. The pump just provides pressure to the unit. As you turn the wheel, the assist from the pump helps you within the power steering unit.
For it to go back and forth, that tells me that fluid is getting on both sides of the cylinder and alternating.
I don't know exactly how power steering works in boats, but I know for sure how they work on a car-style. If that problem happened in boats, I think it would be the same thing. Bad steering system, not bad pump.
So,
there it could be a loose steering assembly? Or maybe the cables going back to the pump? Sometimes it can get vilent.

Froggystyle
08-13-2006, 04:36 PM
So,
there it could be a loose steering assembly? Or maybe the cables going back to the pump? Sometimes it can get vilent.
I don't think there is cables going back to the pump, there should be hoses going to the steering box, which has hoses coming out of it.
I could be all wet here though... but I believe that it is an assist, not a standalone system.
If you turn your wheel with the engine off, do the units turn at all? If so, it is an assist system.
I am not positive how the internals work either, I just know that on a car system they add pressure to one side of the system which triggers the pressure side to add more pressure.
I dunno... I am spitballing here. Nobody was answering you though so I figured I would chime in with my .02.

LHC30Victory
08-13-2006, 05:39 PM
do you have a cable from the helm to the brazil valve (brazil valve hooks to the arm inside the transom on the outdrive assy. If that is it, I suspect you have a loose gymbal. Try grabbing the outdrive and see if you can move it side to side and up and down.
If you have a full hyd system (hoses going from the helm to the hyd cylinders) then you probably have some dirt or debris in the system - try cleaning the in line filter....

lewiville
08-14-2006, 09:19 AM
I don't think there is cables going back to the pump, there should be hoses going to the steering box, which has hoses coming out of it.
I could be all wet here though... but I believe that it is an assist, not a standalone system.
If you turn your wheel with the engine off, do the units turn at all? If so, it is an assist system.
I am not positive how the internals work either, I just know that on a car system they add pressure to one side of the system which triggers the pressure side to add more pressure.
I dunno... I am spitballing here. Nobody was answering you though so I figured I would chime in with my .02.
thanks for your .02
it gives me some stuff to go over.
its funny because it doesnt affrect how the boat performs when I am under way.

lewiville
08-14-2006, 09:20 AM
do you have a cable from the helm to the brazil valve (brazil valve hooks to the arm inside the transom on the outdrive assy. If that is it, I suspect you have a loose gymbal. Try grabbing the outdrive and see if you can move it side to side and up and down.
If you have a full hyd system (hoses going from the helm to the hyd cylinders) then you probably have some dirt or debris in the system - try cleaning the in line filter....
do you know where the filter might be? I.E. closer to the steering wheel or the engine?

LHC30Victory
08-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Dont know where yours is or what type... Mine is from IMCO and I put it right onto the distribution block that takes the two HP pump lines and makes them one HP line to go to the helm.

ratso
08-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Some set-ups have an "actuator valve" back by the transom with a grease fitting. If so, that can be shot full of grease and should cure the problem. I'd have to check with my tech to see what units had this.

lewiville
08-14-2006, 10:38 AM
Dont know where yours is or what type... Mine is from IMCO and I put it right onto the distribution block that takes the two HP pump lines and makes them one HP line to go to the helm.
I have a 2000 with the volvo 5.0 fuel injection and sx out drive.

lewiville
08-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Some set-ups have an "actuator valve" back by the transom with a grease fitting. If so, that can be shot full of grease and should cure the problem. I'd have to check with my tech to see what units had this.
will this work for a Volvo?

ratso
08-14-2006, 11:07 AM
My main tech guy is off today. He said some Mercs and OMC Cobra etc had them. I checked a 97 Volvo we have on the lot and it did not have one. He has seen a few in the past and greasing the fitting has helped in some cases (I think there was a service bulletin on this precise problem) and on a couple he changed the power steering pump. IF yours has this fitting it will be by the transom where your hydraulic cylinder is, and the ones I personally have seen are a pain to get to with the grease fitting on the back side. I am not a Volvo dealer (we're Bombardier), so you might call a dealer on these to see if there are any bulletins or warranty issues with this type of problem.

lewiville
08-14-2006, 11:16 AM
My main tech guy is off today. He said some Mercs and OMC Cobra etc had them. I checked a 97 Volvo we have on the lot and it did not have one. He has seen a few in the past and greasing the fitting has helped in some cases (I think there was a service bulletin on this precise problem) and on a couple he changed the power steering pump. IF yours has this fitting it will be by the transom where your hydraulic cylinder is, and the ones I personally have seen are a pain to get to with the grease fitting on the back side. I am not a Volvo dealer (we're Bombardier), so you might call a dealer on these to see if there are any bulletins or warranty issues with this type of problem.
cool thank you