PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Hoses Up In Smoke!!!!!!!!!

DansBlown73Nordic
07-21-2002, 11:16 AM
Well I have always thought the exhaust hose was a piss poor idea. I am now convinced they SUCK!!!!!!!! I just put a new one on my Stevens. This is not a easy JOB. I ran the boat two times. Today we are out for a ride and I smell rubber burning.... :rolleyes:
We stop for a break. I shut off the motor and it sounds like Im standing at the top of Niagara FALLS! eek! Water is pooring in. The guy with me says should it be doing that :confused:
I just got this hose. I ordered the soft stuff. I think they sent me the radiator hose eek!
The last stuff lasted 3 years. I changed it because I just thought I should.... :D
So what is the trick? Or are Bassetts the answer? wink

63stevens
07-21-2002, 11:39 AM
how long is the rubber hose? It's been my experience that the shorter the rubber hose the better. I have stainless tubing all the way to the exhaust tips. The only rubber hose is the connection of the pipes and the tips.

Little Wood Boat
07-21-2002, 01:23 PM
Dan, usually burning rubber is the sign that the water pump impeller is "gone". Uncooled exhaust doesn't take long to melt rubber! Did you have time to check the engine temp.? LWB

DansBlown73Nordic
07-21-2002, 02:25 PM
I ran the boat for like another hour. With the bilge pump on. eek! I was running like a cool %160 like always.
The hoses are like 7 inches. Maybe I should put a liner in them. Only one side burned. The other side is ok. The only one that burned was the new one. :rolleyes:

Infomaniac
07-21-2002, 03:53 PM
Late timing and lean mixture will do that also. Go to the local industrial hose shop and buy some 4" hose for concrete pumping trucks. Cheap and strong. Make sure your water hoses are not blocked keeping the water from coming out that side of your exhaust.

DansBlown73Nordic
07-21-2002, 04:00 PM
Well the hose is 3 1/2 inch hose. It is kinda hard to find.
Should I have a small piece of metal pipe or something to protect the hose?

Thunderbutt
07-22-2002, 01:25 PM
63 Stevens what is the size of your stainless Tubing and where did you get it, I would like to get rid of the black hose. 63stevens:
how long is the rubber hose? It's been my experience that the shorter the rubber hose the better. I have stainless tubing all the way to the exhaust tips. The only rubber hose is the connection of the pipes and the tips.

spectras only
07-22-2002, 03:11 PM
Hi Jim, I've had the harman wetlog manifold in my 20 spectra and made a stainless tube connector, clamped with two 3" long rubber hose .You either have a 3", 3 1/2 or 4" ID to play with.You should be able to find ss tubing at your local metal recyclers .I had the stainless tube installed over 20 years ago and its still in the boat like new .Will outlive the boat and new owners:D