PDA

View Full Version : Test driving boats

Titan7
08-14-2006, 11:24 AM
This may be a dumb question but I can't find the answer in the archives so here goes.
As a first time boat shopper how do you know if one brand handles differently (better, worse, etc) from another if you can't drive it? Is a 21' I/O or 24' I/O from brand "x" going to be much different from brand "y"? Pre-owned seems to be easier to deal with a test drive than new.
Example is I drove a friends boat and felt it had too much bow rise at lower speeds and was not very responsive.
I can understand this issue with new custom boats since they are built to order. Did you guys just "jump in" with your first boat and learn from there?
I guess I could be looking into this more than necessary?

Johnwithjm
08-14-2006, 11:33 AM
This may be a dumb question but I can't find the answer in the archives so here goes.
As a first time boat shopper how do you know if one brand handles differently (better, worse, etc) from another if you can't drive it? Is a 21' I/O or 24' I/O from brand "x" going to be much different from brand "y"? Pre-owned seems to be easier to deal with a test drive than new.
Example is I drove a friends boat and felt it had too much bow rise at lower speeds and was not very respons
I can understand this issue with new custom boats since they are built to order. Did you guys just "jump in" with your first boat and learn from there?
I guess I could be looking into this more than necessary?We would be happy to set up a test ride for you. Give me a call if your interested. 951-734-6000

rivercrazy
08-14-2006, 11:35 AM
For me, performance and drivability are the number 1 consideration. There are many diffferent manufacturers and they will all drive a little different.
The best way of finding the boat for you is to test drive - test drive. And ride in as many hulls as possible

voodoomedman
08-14-2006, 11:39 AM
We would be happy to set up a test ride for you. Give me a call if your interested. 951-734-6000
It's as simple as that. Even though customs may be built to order there is usually one for sale in the showroom, or you can go out when they are water testing or something. Also, owners are usually willing to give test rides on theres so a builder will call them (at the regatta Steve asked me to give somebody a ride and I was more then happy). Point being if a builder will not give you a test ride then turn tail and run, maybe their trying to hide something.

Kilrtoy
08-14-2006, 11:40 AM
They want to sell you a boat, THEY BETTER SET UP A NICE TEST RIDE FOR YA

Todd969
08-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Take into consideration where you'll be boating the most.
I'll offer ya a test drive on a 266 pontoon or 25' Nordic if your in Havasu. Then you can get in a 21'. You may regret buying it if you plan on boating here often.

BADBLOWN572
08-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Never purchase a boat that you have not driven. If a new builder wants your business, they will find a way to get you setup with a test drive. I know in the past we have contacted past customers and asked them if they are going out locally just so we could get a future customer a ride before they purchased. It can happen. I would NEVER buy a boat that 1) I have not ridden in before or 2) ride in the same boat with comprable power. Do not ride in a jet and expect it to ride the same as an I.O. Different manufacturer's boats ride very differently even if equally equipped and same size.

Titan7
08-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Great advice, thanks!