PDA

View Full Version : Who uses PENNZOIL gt racing?

dossangers
08-23-2003, 08:37 AM
The best stuff ive ever used 15 years never a bearing failer wont dilute this stuff is unreal same stuff they use in nitro cars! http://www.pennzoil.com/penn/Racing/legends_of_racing/swamprat/832x624.jpeg

Fiat48
08-23-2003, 09:15 PM
Shortly after the picture, Garlits went to Kendal. But I use the Penzoil Racing. Penzoil, Kendal don't seperate in alcohol.

CircleJerk
08-23-2003, 09:55 PM
Unless their formula has changed, that's one of the worst lubricants with alcohol. In 1984, our bearing drill between rounds was nearly eliminated and done instead once every dozen rounds only to find minimal if not non existant bearing wear with Valvoline. Pennz was free at the time we used it but it wasnt worth the extra work or risk. smile_sp Don Garlits had indeed a Kendall sponsor but ran Valvoline! We ran blown alcohol or Top Gas in the 70s and 80s with a Chevrolet. Never spun a bearing or blackened a crank. Its sad to say but our oil sponsor now is Amsoil, so I hope their synthetic racing oil is OK. smile_sp

GofastRacer
08-24-2003, 08:15 AM
That is really funny, seems like no matter what oil you mention, someone either swears at it or swears by it!. I been using Castrol GTX for ages, both racing and on the street, never had a problem, I swear by it!. So let's see who swears AT it!.. :D :D

H2OT PURSUIT
08-24-2003, 08:33 PM
Swamp Rat V. Thas's a really long time ago. I'd like to think todays lubricants are better than they were back then. I do have a serious question though. I see a lot of guys on the forum say that they use this or that racing oil. Racing oil doesn't have the additives that regular oil has to help it last awhile. It is meant to be used for 1 race and discarded, isn't it? So if your not talking about a race boat isn't this a bad idea? Wouldn't a good quality normal automotive or synthetic oil a better way to go?

Fiat48
08-24-2003, 08:48 PM
GofastRacer:
That is really funny, seems like no matter what oil you mention, someone either swears at it or swears by it!. I been using Castrol GTX for ages, both racing and on the street, never had a problem, I swear by it!. So let's see who swears AT it!.. :D :D Ain't that the truth! I used Valvoline Racing back in the unblown days, no particular problems. But when I went to Blown alcohol, several of the blown alcohol car racers told me Penzoil racing oil or EASTERN made Kendal was the only way to go. They told me the other racers that were sponsored by oil companys of different brands (like Castrol) even used the Penz or Eastern Kendal (Kendal made in Ashland, Ohio as I remember). Supposed to be a different oil than west coast made stuff. So, I went with Penzoil as Eastern Kendal was hard to come by out here. BUT..I have customers on Valvoline racing oil (Blown gas) and the bearings look great. One alcohol racer with Valvoline but we haven't had it apart yet (25 runs so far). I got a Powerstroke Ford diesel with 225,000 miles and never a valve cover off...using Castrol HD oil. All my other cars get Chevron because of a fleet I do work for has had such good luck in their utility vans. So probably the real truth is..most performance oils are so good it just may be hard to pick a bad one. Much of this stuff is "religion" with racers. :D

GofastRacer
08-24-2003, 08:56 PM
H2OT PURSUIT:
Swamp Rat V. Thas's a really long time ago. I'd like to think todays lubricants are better than they were back then. I do have a serious question though. I see a lot of guys on the forum say that they use this or that racing oil. Racing oil doesn't have the additives that regular oil has to help it last awhile. It is meant to be used for 1 race and discarded, isn't it? So if your not talking about a race boat isn't this a bad idea? Wouldn't a good quality normal automotive or synthetic oil a better way to go? If you just have a cruiser a good everyday quality oil(of your choice) will be more than adequate!.. :cool:

GofastRacer
08-24-2003, 08:57 PM
Fiat48:
GofastRacer:
That is really funny, seems like no matter what oil you mention, someone either swears at it or swears by it!. I been using Castrol GTX for ages, both racing and on the street, never had a problem, I swear by it!. So let's see who swears AT it!.. :D :D Ain't that the truth! I used Valvoline Racing back in the unblown days, no particular problems. But when I went to Blown alcohol, several of the blown alcohol car racers told me Penzoil racing oil or EASTERN made Kendal was the only way to go. They told me the other racers that were sponsored by oil companys of different brands (like Castrol) even used the Penz or Eastern Kendal (Kendal made in Ashland, Ohio as I remember). Supposed to be a different oil than west coast made stuff. So, I went with Penzoil as Eastern Kendal was hard to come by out here. BUT..I have customers on Valvoline racing oil (Blown gas) and the bearings look great. One alcohol racer with Valvoline but we haven't had it apart yet (25 runs so far). I got a Powerstroke Ford diesel with 225,000 miles and never a valve cover off...using Castrol HD oil. All my other cars get Chevron because of a fleet I do work for has had such good luck in their utility vans. So probably the real truth is..most performance oils are so good it just may be hard to pick a bad one. Much of this stuff is "religion" with racers. :D Yep, you got that right!.. :)

CircleJerk
08-24-2003, 10:00 PM
And one last note. The Blown Alcohol racers name was Richard Hand and he was a blind mechanic. That only stopped him from driving, he did everything else! He showed the dumb sighted person that you can feel grit and wear way before you can see it! After the change from Penns to Valvo, I did not have to do bearing drill until the end of the season!!! That's why I'm impressed. We ran a 6.80 at 210 in 1980 at 2ooo feet, with a Chevrolet! It had more left smile_sp but why break it for $200? That was a good thought about changing it frequently, cause the dragster was but our boat isnt. So I think I'm safe with Amsoil especially because I dont look at the internals for TWO racing seasons! No problems yet! smile_sp

UBFJ #454
08-25-2003, 03:06 AM
Our "Religion" is Royal Purple.