PDA

View Full Version : To fill or not to fill, what should I do?

superdave013
01-20-2003, 07:33 AM
Ok, the boat is getting more glass work done to it. I have to remove a bulkhead because of the new v drive location. Also the bottom of the boat is a total mess. It had a bolt on fin, strut, and whip strut. Now everything is going to be drop through so a bunch of holes are left.
Tomorrow it's getting rolled over and fixed.
Here's the deal. I'm gonna have to move the shaft log forward or make a new one that has a longer bottom flange. I'll tell ya right now I'm making a new pimpdaddy one. I'm leaning towards keeping the old mounting holes in the boat and only drilling a few extras due to the new length.
Would you do that or just fill all of them in and start from scratch?

Stab-n-Steer
01-20-2003, 07:58 AM
SD,
Since you are doing all the other glass work anyway, I would fill 'em in and start from scratch... That way you're not trying to match up existing holes with your new log. Just out of curiosity, why do you have to move the v-drive?
S&S

superdave013
01-20-2003, 08:04 AM
Stab-n-Steer:
SD,
Since you are doing all the other glass work anyway, I would fill 'em in and start from scratch... That way you're not trying to match up existing holes with your new log. Just out of curiosity, why do you have to move the v-drive?
S&S Changing from a 9 degree strut to a 7.25 deal.
I hear ya about starting from scratch but you know I'll end up drilling them right on the edge of the old ones.

LeE ss13
01-20-2003, 08:15 AM
Dave ... just curious, will you be moving the strut location and if so which way and how far???

superdave013
01-20-2003, 08:29 AM
LeE ss13:
Dave ... just curious, will you be moving the strut location and if so which way and how far??? It's going to be in just about the same spot.
Let's just say that the gang at Schiada would not give me any help with set up info. They don't even make a 20' v bottoms any more but for some reason it's some top secret info that they can't give out.
But I just happen to know a guy that used to rig them and he hooked me up with all his old data.
And I checked some other boats and his # were right on like always.

LeE ss13
01-20-2003, 08:47 AM
Reason I asked was because once I changed from a 9 degree to a 7.5 on a 18ft flatbottom once and I moved the strut back about an inch. Someone had given me the numbers and it worked very well. I wanted to know if the same math worked on a v-bottom cruiser. On a flat, flattening out the angle tends to lift the nose causing the boat to porpoise. Moving it back drops it back down.

ACCEPTENCE
01-20-2003, 08:53 AM
LeE ss13:
Reason I asked was because once I changed from a 9 degree to a 7.5 on a 18ft flatbottom once and I moved the strut back about an inch. Someone had given me the numbers and it worked very well. I wanted to know if the same math worked on a v-bottom cruiser. On a flat, flattening out the angle tends to lift the nose causing the boat to porpoise. Moving it back drops it back down. """On a flat, flattening out the angle tends to lift the nose causing the boat to porpoise."""
Really...now I'm confussed, Hummm???
I'm not seein that???

topgun
01-20-2003, 09:15 AM
Superdave,
Here is something I use for wooden boats, but would be applicable for fiberglass as its epoxy base. Try one part silica to one part microspheres, mix thoroughly. Add this to one part catalyzed epoxy (pre mixed with hardener) at a rate ranging from 2 parts filler to one part epoxy on up. The filler ratio can be upped anywhere from 2-3 parts filler to one part epoxy depending on how thick you want it. To fill long screw holes I use a large syringe with the tip enlarged and force it into the holes. The filled tube can be heated somewhat to ease the flow. Note at the thicker consistancys this trick won't work. A 60cc syringe can be had from a local vet supply house. Cut off the tip and enlarge the opening with an appropriate drill bit. This mix should be compatible with all paints, gel coats etc. As for the shaft hole I'd get a hardwood dowel with a smaller ID than the hole. use acetone to clean all surfaces to be epoxied. Trowel in the mix to coat the walls, and butter the dowel plug, then force it in. When cured you can partially drill through it to locate the new shaft hole instead of elongating the old one. Sorry for the logwindedness.
Hope this helps,
John H.

GofastRacer
01-20-2003, 09:16 AM
superdave013:
Ok, the boat is getting more glass work done to it. I have to remove a bulkhead because of the new v drive location. Also the bottom of the boat is a total mess. It had a bolt on fin, strut, and whip strut. Now everything is going to be drop through so a bunch of holes are left.
Tomorrow it's getting rolled over and fixed.
Here's the deal. I'm gonna have to move the shaft log forward or make a new one that has a longer bottom flange. I'll tell ya right now I'm making a new pimpdaddy one. I'm leaning towards keeping the old mounting holes in the boat and only drilling a few extras due to the new length.
Would you do that or just fill all of them in and start from scratch? I got to agree with S & S, it is a lot easier to plug em up and start over. When I built my Daytona, I used just about every hole that was there and I'll tell ya, I won't do it again, it's a real pain in the ass!, I had less trouble building my new one!.. I'm getting ready to start on an old Sanger flat for a friend (if I ever get the f****n thing back from the glass shop) and every hole in the boat is being plugged except for the strut, fins and log, only cause they are going back in the same place!. With all the holes plugged, it's like a new boat, just drill new holes to suit!!....Just my experience!!... :rolleyes:
[ January 20, 2003, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: GofastRacer ]

21rayson
01-20-2003, 09:29 AM
dave what are you doing with your old strut i'm redoing my 21 rayson and i have a 12 degree in it now and want to go with a 9 degree.

Sangster
01-20-2003, 09:33 AM
21rayson:
dave what are you doing with your old strut i'm redoing my 21 rayson and i have a 12 degree in it now and want to go with a 9 degree. Rayson 21...Mike's Marine in Dixon has some used struts, all different angles..Jest another option.. wink
[ January 20, 2003, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Sangster ]

LeE ss13
01-20-2003, 09:47 AM
ACCEPTENCE
Really...now I'm confussed, Hummm???
I'm not seein that??? [/QB]Think of an outboard motor. If you tip it down at 9 degrees it will drive the nose of the boat down. If it is at 0 degrees, it will lift the nose especially on take off.

smalls
01-20-2003, 10:30 AM
If the holes are clean? use um. A guy of your talent should have no prob with that lay out :D
There is just somthing about extra holes :confused: :confused:

beaverfab
01-20-2003, 10:33 AM
Dave I like the idea of just adding new holes that way you put it in then mark the new holes put it in then drill new holes. are you moving the V drive? On your coupler the ones i have use 5 clamping bolts 5/16 -24 if thet is ok with you that what were doing. The ones I have are casales. To put in 6 bolts would have to go to 1/4 bolts. j.j.

haulina29
01-20-2003, 10:39 AM
Dave is moving the strut closer to zero by one and a half degrees ,in a out board 9 nine degrees up would be greater bow lift than 0, nine degres under would provide negative bow lift.I raced a 20 foot schiada with a 502 blown motor for years it had a very shallow shaft angle and it ran awsome. It was a dream to drive but i dont think you will ever be able to get rid of all the porpose unless you hang a skier on the back !! at 95 you could take your hands off the wheel and it would still go straight, I have raced both 20 and 21s and the 20is a great boat

boatguy222
01-20-2003, 10:57 AM
SD,
Fill them, and start with new, it NEVER works out the way you think it will, and always takes longer to match the existing holes
[ January 20, 2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: boatguy222 ]

superdave013
01-20-2003, 11:53 AM
Ok, it's done. I just got out from under it and I took a black marker and circled every flipping hole and said fill 'em!
JJ, I don't care if it's 5 or 6 bolts. As long as it's balanced and does not come apart I'm cool with it.
haulina29, I'm liking the sounds of what your sayin! I'm going with just a tad bigger engine then the 509 so it should be fun fun!

superdave013
01-20-2003, 11:55 AM
21rayson:
dave what are you doing with your old strut i'm redoing my 21 rayson and i have a 12 degree in it now and want to go with a 9 degree. 21, I'll part with the one I have now but I want to wait untill I get the new one in my hands first.
Rex has some nice ones on e bay right now too.

Rexone
01-20-2003, 06:54 PM
Actually the auctions just ended but I still have 2 struts. They'll be relisted within a couple days. :)

Bagpipes
01-21-2003, 09:34 AM
SuperDave There was a Schiada 19 or 20 foot around here that was freak!!! It would take a nice set. BUT when you got off the gas it had a mind of it's own. They moved the fin around did not work. The strut was a bolt on.Anyway the people of Schiada could not help.The boat was sold I always wonder what happend to it?

21rayson
01-21-2003, 05:23 PM
rexone iwas the one that bought the turbo plentum. as for the strut what i'm looking for is a 9 degree or less the boat is a 21' v-bottom daycruiser i would post apic but it is in the major hloe plugging stage.and dave so is the prop shaft hole.filling all holes and regelcoating. eek! eek! eek!

21rayson
01-29-2003, 06:25 PM
Sangster:
21rayson:
dave what are you doing with your old strut i'm redoing my 21 rayson and i have a 12 degree in it now and want to go with a 9 degree. Rayson 21...Mike's Marine in Dixon has some used struts, all different angles..Jest another option.. wink

21rayson
01-29-2003, 06:27 PM
opps. hey sangster do you have a phone number for mikes marine.