PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Run Motor With Dry Pump?

jfarrjl
08-15-2006, 07:17 AM
Im new to this jetting experience and am dying to get my boat into the water!
I recently purchased a Glastron CV-21. It has a JC-A Drive with a 455 Olds. I am trying to run the motor before putting it in the water. Im not sure what to do. (1) I was about to pull the hose coming out of the pump goiung to the intake manifold; cut it in half and run one garden hose into the motor, and take a second and run it into the pump. Would theis work? (2) I heard the there sometimes is grease fittings on the pump, to grease the wear ring. Where are these fittings? What type of grease should I use? I guess while Im talking about grease, how often should I grease the pump, and which fittings on the pump need to be greased?
Please help me get this motor tuned up so I can drop my jet into the water, Tahks for all the help.

Squirtcha?
08-15-2006, 08:07 AM
It's not advisable to run your pump dry at all. I'll tell you that I start mine just for a few seconds (literally) to make sure all is fine before going to the lake. Most would tell you that's not even good (and they'd be right). Really the only safe way to run the motor for more than a few seconds would be to disconnect the pump from the motor (remove the driveshaft). The concern is not so much cooling the motor, but running the pump without water, which will wear it out prematurely. If you decide to go this route, your idea of supplying cooling water to the motor will work.
There's only one grease zerk and it's on top of the pump just behind where the driveshaft/PTO connect. Give it a shot or two each time out. If you over grease it (not necessarily a bad thing) it'll sling grease all over the place. I use a synthetic grease that you can buy at any auto parts store, but even axle grease would be better than no grease.
Second item. There are two pipe plugs on top of the pump bowl. Remove both plugs and get some 90 weight gear oil. Insert the bottle into one of the holes (doesn't matter which) and squeeze until gear oil comes out the other hole. Put your plugs back in. This should be part of your maintenance regimen.
If the gear oil drains out quickly it usually indicates that you have a bad seal in the pump.

jfarrjl
08-15-2006, 11:35 PM
On the back of the bowl I have two spots for grease fittings. This is the place I presume you are saying to add gear oil. Right now one of them has a grease fitting in it. Do I add grease or gear oil. I thought this fitting would grease up the wear ring. Sorry Im clueless. Where can I get a good book on jet pumps and reuilding. So I at least can understand the principle and dinamics. I am a carpenter by trade in NYC and good with my hands. Know cars and motors like the back. But what is this grease fitting for? I will pay for the dock space and get the motor up and runnin, but I was hoping to find 30 minutes of running time with a couple garden hoses. I think U said its going to cause allot of damage, minimal I would live with, if it wouldnt totaly blow out the pump. Thank You for ALL URE HELP!!!!!!!!

Squirtcha?
08-16-2006, 04:34 AM
Selocs jet repair manual (http://www.rexmar.com/page390.html)
SEL3000 Marine jet drive about 3/4 of the way down the page.
I've heard of guys using grease, but I would use the gear oil (as it was designed). It's possible that the rear seal was failing and it wouldn't hold the gear oil anymore. Rather than replace the seal they went with the grease so it wouldn't run out? I'm not sure what they were doing there, although I've heard of people doing it before.
30 minutes would be an awfully long time to run a pump dry.

jfarrjl
08-16-2006, 01:52 PM
I just wanted to thank you again, and by the way what type of gear oil?

Avenger 1975
08-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Any 90 weight gear oil is OK.
Do you have the drive shaft attached to the engine with a U-joint, 4 bolts? If so you can disconnect in about 10 minutes, then can run the engine all you want with a water hose and won't hurt the pump.
I see you are in NYC, I'm in NH. Where will you be running the boat?

jeffroe
08-17-2006, 08:46 AM
when i bought my boat i got it without the motor, it had a jet-a-way already on it. it disconnects the motor from the pump (without unbolting it) so you can run it out of the water with the jet not turning. just being curious i called and found out that they run $900 or more and you have to mount the motor further ahead to make room for it. the other nice thing about it is befor my blown bbc in my other boat would idle at 1200-1300rpm or it would lope (pain in the azz in the no wake zones) up and down, but the jet-a-way has a hydro slip to let it slip just alittle at idle and now the motor will idle at 1000rpm (and is much easier to start especially hot!!) smooth as a stock motor.
kinda expensive but has alot of benefits to it. i hope the guy who designed it is laying on a beach somewhere enjoying himself i see it's patented :idea:

kp216
08-17-2006, 07:03 PM
i hope the guy who designed it is laying on a beach somewhere enjoying himself i see it's patented :idea:
Nope, he's still working everyday in Goddard, Kansas making jetboats run faster and better!
Hi Tech Performance (http://www.hi-techperformance.com/)

SmokinLowriderSS
08-18-2006, 02:36 AM
Nope, he's still working everyday in Goddard, Kansas making jetboats run faster and better!
Hi Tech Performance (http://www.hi-techperformance.com/)
That's what happens when you let a hobby you love turn in to a business. :)

jfarrjl
08-18-2006, 10:23 PM
That's what happens when you let a hobby you love turn in to a business. :)
I SEE YOU ARE HIGHLY EDJUMICATED< MUST HAVE GRADUATED KINDERGARTEN IN TEN OR TWENTY YEARS. Look I appologize, your intelect is overwelming. Do you even own a boat, or is your pesimistic life spent harrassing people? I asked for help, but yor intelect and edjumication is blocking me from learning. Please dont be so rude and interupt. :mad:

kp216
08-19-2006, 03:18 AM
jfarrjl - Have you considered switching to decaf?
Smokin' was referencing my post about the designer of the Jetaway... Mr. Duane Oblander of Hi Tech Performace in Goddard, KS

SmokinLowriderSS
08-19-2006, 08:57 AM
I SEE YOU ARE HIGHLY EDJUMICATED< MUST HAVE GRADUATED KINDERGARTEN IN TEN OR TWENTY YEARS. Look I appologize, your intelect is overwelming. Do you even own a boat, or is your pesimistic life spent harrassing people? I asked for help, but yor intelect and edjumication is blocking me from learning. Please dont be so rude and interupt. :mad:
Oooooooo azzhole alert. :skull: Rude? Well, at least you happen to know what you are talking about there.
It just so happens Duane (whose business is about 40 miles from my home, and who has been the go-to jet guy for my father and I for over 27 years) personally told me this business of his started back in the 70's as his HOBBY of racing jets and modding jet pumps. His hobby has become his business over the years thus, That's what happens when you let a hobby you love turn in to a business. :)
Duane's "hobby" has led to the creation and pattenting of several items for jet boats that are widely used and in many circles considered indespensable, The Jetaway, the Prime-a-jet, the Ultimate Wear Ring, and recently begun marketing his own straight Snoot. He is one of a dwindling number of highly experienced jet boat/pump modders. We already lost 1 this year with Don. :cry:
I'll sit back and await my apopology now j. :crossx:

Squirtcha?
08-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Easy fellas.
He's new with only 10 posts Smokin. I don't think he's quite got the "lay of the land" just yet (unless he's been reading a lot more than he's been posting.
jfarrjl,
You'll get the jist of things the longer you hang around here. There's a lot more to posting than getting the information/answers you seek. The guys that have been around here a long time like to jab fun at each other once in a while etc. (once in a while hell).
You kinda of have to sit back and take it easy. Some stuff is good information, and some of it's fun. Sometimes it gets ornery but most try to keep that to a minimum.
You'll definitely have to get used to others posting stuff on your thread (that may or may not be relevant to the topic) as it happens in 90% of the threads that get started here.
Loosen up a little. Smokin has good information and has been around for quite a while. He'd be a good one to have in your corner (the next time you're looking for some help).
Dan

jfarrjl
08-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Mayby I do owe an appology, Ive jumped the gun a little, and layed in with the New York style, just a bit strong. Just didnt quite get the jist of whats goin on. Now I understand the quote. However, Screw Decaf, "Nothin Exceeds Like Excess" :)
I must say Ive gotten so much info out of this group already, and thanks again! :cool:

SmokinLowriderSS
08-19-2006, 03:54 PM
You'll definitely have to get used to others posting stuff on your thread (that may or may not be relevant to the topic) as it happens in 90% of the threads that get started here.
Dan
What you talkin about squirtcha? Threads NEVER get off topic in here. :argue:
Well, there WERE those 2 the mods drug away to the Benchracers sewer. :idea: :cry: :cry: :D :D
Don't worry about it jfarrjl. :boxed:

Rondane
08-19-2006, 07:04 PM
I'll sit back and await my apopology now j. :crossx:
gotta figure thats gonna happen when you and a few others constantly feel that need to spread that gospel time and time again. You post it with so much pride too, just cant help it can ya. Wonder what names you'll come up with on this new poster.... :crossx:
rondane

james
08-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Hey why didnt anybody invite me to talk a little trash. I just love to run a little lean on these threads. :)

SmokinLowriderSS
08-20-2006, 04:20 AM
gotta figure thats gonna happen when you and a few others constantly feel that need to spread that gospel time and time again. You post it with so much pride too, just cant help it can ya. Wonder what names you'll come up with on this new poster.... :crossx:
rondane
Awwwwwwww the love is back. Was wondering where you have been ronco. You gonna start stalking me now like you do 396?
That's funny, You need to get your short term memory fixed since you are the primo #1 "Gospel of Don" pusher.
Since I never knew the man, never dealt with him, somehow I have never had anything to say about him, good or bad. I'll just let the curious dig up past threads on "Wear Rings" and watch you have coniption fits over "plastic" which "can't possibly work" because "Don takes 'em all out". :argue:
Don't the new operators of Don's let you hang out there anymore??? :crossx:
Welcome back Ronco, Oh, and Have A Nice Day. :220v:

SmokinLowriderSS
08-20-2006, 04:29 AM
Hey Ronco, better move fast. Duane is on another thread trying to sell Don's Pump Shop parts and make money for both him and DPS (as well as help a boat work better). :eek:

Ralph Brunt
08-20-2006, 07:15 AM
smokin you are one smooooth dude, love to read your post keep up the good work lol ralph