PDA

View Full Version : Alot of Stolen Boats?

sdpm
08-16-2006, 09:33 AM
I have been getting alot of stolen boat reports lately. Atleast 1 sometimes 2 a week. Reported yesterday 2005 27' Ultra Shadow & Extreme Trailer w/triple axle w/20" wheels from Lk Havasu. White w/burgandy and yellow (tribal design). Date of incident 8-5-06. Havasu rept # 066254
$1000.00 reward is offered by Ins. co.
Where are all these stolen boats and parts going? Not a good sign!

USCFAN
08-16-2006, 09:37 AM
:idea:

andy01
08-16-2006, 10:07 AM
I think it is something like 85 percent of all boat thefts the owner has involement with. They have the boat insured for way more then they can sell it for, they can't sell it so they get rid of it and claim the insurance. Then the rest of us pay higher rates, while the jackass that did it sit in jail after he gets cought. They catch most of them
Andy

ratso
08-16-2006, 10:09 AM
I think it is something like 85 percent of all boat thefts the owner has involement with. They have the boat insured for way more then they can sell it for, they can't sell it so they get rid of it and claim the insurance. Then the rest of us pay higher rates, while the jackass that did it sit in jail after he gets cought. They catch most of them
Andy
I would agree with that 100%...

ToMorrow44
08-16-2006, 10:09 AM
I know several of them end up in Riverside stripped. Seems that a lot of boat companies that need parts are in Riverside...

sdpm
08-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Location of incident: Offshore Dr., Lake Havasu. Is this street commercial or a residential ? Doesn't give an address just street. If it is residential I wonder where the boat was parked? Seems to me that a nice new boat like this would be kept inside. Wonder if it was stolen from a shop or storage yard? Anyone on here know who the owner is or any details? Seems strange to me?

C-2
08-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Just the other day I stumbled upon a small, new, boat shop in my area. I'm like WTF? I'll be keeping an eye on it.

RitcheyRch
08-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Might be some truth to that.
Andy

TCN
08-16-2006, 10:26 AM
I have been getting alot of stolen boat reports lately. Atleast 1 sometimes 2 a week. Reported yesterday 2005 27' Ultra Shadow & Extreme Trailer w/triple axle w/20" wheels from Lk Havasu. White w/burgandy and yellow (tribal design). Date of incident 8-5-06. Havasu rept # 066254
$1000.00 reward is offered by Ins. co.
Where are all these stolen boats and parts going? Not a good sign!
Remember when ours got stolen 2 weeks after we got it back from your shop in 2001. Never recovered to our knowledge and we have never seen it at the lake or river. 1982 Bahner Closed Bow Jet. It sat in your yard about 4 months while the trailer was being re-done and while you were re-building the pump and intake and all the other stuff you did to it. I still miss that boat sometimes. Especially when the auto withdrawl hits for the new one we have. Nick

ULTRA28
08-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Andy
I agree. It pisses me off anytime one of my boats is reported stolen. It hurts everybody else that owns one. These boats are hard enough to insure without having the rates go up due to them being considered high risk.
I don't think this customer had anything to do with his boat coming up missing. He owned the boat outright and did not have it insured for what it would cost to replace. This is the CF boat from 2005 that had that crazy stereo in it. A lot of you will remember it from the LA show last year in the lobby.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/497charity27side.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/497charity27top.JPG

dicudmore
08-16-2006, 10:38 AM
I saw that on the water out there the weekend prior :(

jbtrailerjim
08-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Andy
I believe there is a lot of truth to that. I had an insurance adjuster in our shop a few years back. Him and I got talking about boats and told me he handled a lot of stolen boat claims. He gave me some high percentage like you mentioned also and he did say that they catch a lot of the people committing the insurance frauds.

ULTRA28
08-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Location of incident: Offshore Dr., Lake Havasu. Is this street commercial or a residential ? Doesn't give an address just street. If it is residential I wonder where the boat was parked? Seems to me that a nice new boat like this would be kept inside. Wonder if it was stolen from a shop or storage yard? Anyone on here know who the owner is or any details? Seems strange to me?
I talked to the guy yesterday. He said he rented a house off the internet that said it was two minutes from the water. He said it was actually way out on the North East end and when he got there the driveway was too steep to back the boat up. He called the owner of the house and they told him to park it in the gravel parking space down by the street. Worked OK for Friday night, but the boat was gone Sunday morning. He said that Havasu police told him it was probably tweakers.

Jyruiz
08-16-2006, 10:44 AM
I talked to the guy yesterday. He said he rented a house off the internet that said it was two minutes from the water. He said it was actually way out on the North East end and when he got there the driveway was too steep to back the boat up. He called the owner of the house and they told him to park it in the gravel parking space down by the street. Worked OK for Friday night, but the boat was gone Sunday morning. He said that Havasu police told him it was probably tweakers.
That sucks.

ratso
08-16-2006, 10:45 AM
I believe there is a lot of truth to that. I had an insurance adjuster in our shop a few years back. Him and I got talking about boats and told me he handled a lot of stolen boat claims. He gave me some high percentage like you mentioned also and he did say that they catch a lot of the people committing the insurance frauds.
...what sucks is when the honest people have a claim, and the Insurance company treats you like a criminal. I'm trying to get State Farm to pay for a claim right now on a customers boat, and is as usual with this company, they will try every means possible to not pay it or drag it out as long as they can. It's sad, State Farm used to be the easiest to deal with, and now they are just a pain in my ass over the past few years. :yuk:

Biglue
08-16-2006, 10:51 AM
...what sucks is when the honest people have a claim, and the Insurance company treats you like a criminal. I'm trying to get State Farm to pay for a claim right now on a customers boat, and is as usual with this company, they will try every means possible to not pay it or drag it out as long as they can. It's sad, State Farm used to be the easiest to deal with, and now they are just a pain in my ass over the past few years. :yuk:
Insurance and warranties seem to be in the same boat. No pun intended. While you pay for your coverage for years without yielding a single claim, when it's your turn for service because of a misfortunate accident they seem to be less than willing to hold up their end of the bargain. :mad:
Hope the owner get's his boat back in one piece soon.

jbtrailerjim
08-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Tell me about it. I went through that a couple of years ago when my wifes car was stolen. The insurance company questioned my wife like she was a criminal and had something to do with it. They wanted to know what our financial situation was and a bunch of other BS questions. :rolleyes: They drug their feet for a couple of months before they paid the claim.

Kilrtoy
08-16-2006, 10:52 AM
. He said that Havasu police told him it was probably tweakers.
And too think the PD has 4 patrol cars for the whole city and about 30 cops in the channel to make sure a girls boob doesnt pop out....

NautiTwins
08-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Seriously though, what better place to be a thief, then in Havasu. Not that I condone any of this, actually I think it is BS. But when you have about 10 million dollars worth of equipment sitting in the channel at any given moment so thief is going to take notice.
I would be very curious to find out if Lo-Jack would work on a boat and if so, would the insurance companies give a discount for those that put it on.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
08-16-2006, 10:58 AM
And too think the PD has 4 patrol cars for the whole city and about 30 cops in the channel to make sure a girls boob doesnt pop out....
Your getting better by the day!!! LMAO

Deano
08-16-2006, 11:01 AM
:idea: :idea:
I was at Kokohos last Thursday night and saw the locals... I think only about 5 of em didnt have tattoos on their face. Good crowd, they were looking for a scuffle all night (see you dont know who your fkn with thread :crossx: )

duffster
08-16-2006, 11:02 AM
That is true what a joke

SHOTKALLIN
08-16-2006, 11:06 AM
of most boats stolen do they have stock power or are the high end power?

Kilrtoy
08-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Havasu is like a giant PICK-A-PART.
there are so many boats left outside and in yards and it is very clear and apparent that no one is home or will be home for days, weeks , maybe even months...
I have been watching this trend and noticed that most crime occurs on the north end of town

Tremor Therapy
08-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Ain't that the truth with that company!
Back in '89, I had my 88 Toyota 4x4 pick-up stolen. At that time, the Toyota 4x4's were being stolen all over SoCal, stripped, and sold for parts. I was treated like a damn criminal, and it took them over 3 months to close and payoff on the claim. Well I went out and bought a new '89 Toyota 4x4, and within 2 months that truck got stolen out of the Carlsbad Mall parking lot. :mad:
The same insurance company had me interviewed by the police, and was treating me like a convicted child murderer. Well 6 days later they found the truck in San Ysidro, semi-stripped. They argued for 3 months on the value of the claim, and in the end did not replace my after market rims, tires, or stereo. I ended up getting the truck back, and after $2500 of my own money to get it back to where I had it, I drove it for the next 6 years (it was a damn good truck). In the end, that company dropped me. But the strangest part was the two calls I got from police concerning my two stolen trucks.
About 6 months after recovering truck #2, the Carlsbad Police called me to let me know that there was a car theft ring working the Carslbad Mall area, and that they had a "ring of skeleton keys" that they were using to steal cars, they were driving them to the San Ysidro area to strip them, and that was how they had gotten mine. About 4 years after my first truck was stolen I get a phone call from the Corona police.....they found my old truck by it's frame ID number during a raid on a known chop shop. I was soooo tempted to call that company and bitch slap them.

Jyruiz
08-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Havasu is like a giant PICK-A-PART.
there are so many boats left outside and in yards and it is very clear and apparent that no one is home or will be home for days, weeks , maybe even months...
I have been watching this trend and noticed that most crime occurs on the north end of town
That is why I got the biggest boat that would fit in my garage, I have access to my back yard and it is gated, but nothing a motivated thieve can't jump. Luckily my neighbors keep an eye on my place, they even call me if somebody drives up they don't recognize.

sdpm
08-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Hi John, sorry to see and hear about one of your customers misfortune. They must feel absolutly sick. I know how I felt when I was hit. LHPD says most likely tweekers? I thought tweekers would steal stereos, props, easy stuff to get rid of. Do tweekers have a vehicle big enough to pull a boat this large and where would they put it? Do they have homes with big enough garages or storage places? Stealing a boat this big and driving it around town or getting it out of town doesn't sound like tweekers to me. This sounds more like it was very well planed out ahead of time. You don't steal a $125,000 boat for a dime bag! Hopefully they get their boat back unharmed and someone gets caught and pays.

DCBDaytona
08-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Hi John, sorry to see and hear about one of your customers misfortune. They must feel absolutly sick. I know how I felt when I was hit. LHPD says most likely tweekers? I thought tweekers would steal stereos, props, easy stuff to get rid of. Do tweekers have a vehicle big enough to pull a boat this large and where would they put it? Do they have homes with big enough garages or storage places? Stealing a boat this big and driving it around town or getting it out of town doesn't sound like tweekers to me. This sounds more like it was very well planed out ahead of time. You don't steal a $125,000 boat for a dime bag! Hopefully they get their boat back unharmed and someone gets caught and pays.
Sounds correct..Hmm

Her454
08-16-2006, 11:58 AM
A guy I went to school with in Yuma claimed he had his boat stolen in the early 90's if I remember correctly. Even took an ad out in the back of ***boat Magazine offering a reward.
Apparently it wasn't the first time, and with a few vehicles prior to that - but it was the last time and he went to prison for it.

TCN
08-16-2006, 12:52 PM
That has to be the funniest thing you've ever written Miguel.

Tequila-John
08-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Good point bud. Crazy!!! I like it when boobs pop out. :)

BoatPI
08-17-2006, 06:21 AM
This stolen boat thing is very serious when it is your boat. Expect the insurance company to work hard to uncover the truth, and completely investigate the claim. This is especally true is the boat is valued over $100K. I cannot stress enough to use a good lock, like Gorilla, or the copper colored MasterLock to secure a boat trailer. Forget a padlock, a joke.
Add in a good wheel lock device and most crooks will pass. Do NOT feel comfortable if your boat is on a locked storage facility, still lock it. Also use Data Dots and pepper the boat carpet, engine area, and seats with the dots to aid in identification later.
Most boats are not locked, just sitting on a driveway or in a storage yard waiting to be towed away. Way too easy..

Tequila-John
08-17-2006, 06:24 AM
This stolen boat thing is very serious when it is your boat. Expect the insurance company to work hard to uncover the truth, and completely investigate the claim. This is especally true is the boat is valued over $100K. I cannot stress enough to use a good lock, like Gorilla, or the copper colored MasterLock to secure a boat trailer. Forget a padlock, a joke.
Add in a good wheel lock device and most crooks will pass. Do NOT feel comfortable if your boat is on a locked storage facility, still lock it. Also use Data Dots and pepper the boat carpet, engine area, and seats with the dots to aid in identification later.
Most boats are not locked, just sitting on a driveway or in a storage yard waiting to be towed away. Way too easy..
Can you explain what "Data Dots" are?

lawbreaker2
08-17-2006, 06:39 AM
Yah, I would like to know what "data dots" are and pepper the boat carpet, Do you mean to dump pepper on on carpets. :( so tell us. I don't think boat theft is a big problem over here, then Again they stoled my uncles boat and ran it into the break wall for fun. :mad:

core attitude
08-17-2006, 06:44 AM
Can you explain what "Data Dots" are?
From the web site;
"DataDots are a state of the art identification and anti-theft security system applicable to most assets. The product consists of polyester substrate micro-dots, each the size of a grain of sand, onto which unique information is laser etched. These unique dots come pre-mixed in a UV based adhesive for ready application onto assets such as cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, laptops and other electrical equipment, business assets, cell phones, tools, Powersports equipment, and other high value items.
Each kit manufactured by DataDot contains its own unique code for a given asset. This may include a vehicle identification number, hull identification number, a computer generated PIN for personal and business assets, or the dot information may be fully customized. Each PIN is unique and cannot be manufactured again."
DataDot (http://www.datadotusa.com/index.htm)

RitcheyRch
08-17-2006, 06:51 AM
The data dots are definitely interesting. Lo-jack might be a good alternative although not many good places to hide it on a boat.

Tequila-John
08-17-2006, 06:55 AM
The data dots are definitely interesting. Lo-jack might be a good alternative although not many good places to hide it on a boat.
Lo-jack is a great idea. Have we heard if any boat owners have that installed on the boat??

RitcheyRch
08-17-2006, 07:00 AM
Will be tough to hide although is an excellent device. Need to remember with lo-jack that you cant let the battery die in the vehicle since that battery keeps the Lo-jack battery charged. If the vehicle battery dies than the Lo-jack battery tries to run everything which will kill it quickly and become useless.
Lo-jack is a great idea. Have we heard if any boat owners have that installed on the boat??

Parker Dreamin
08-17-2006, 07:05 AM
more boats around = more boats to be stollen. I wonder if the % is up or down. Either way it sucks big ass when somebody steals big or small. :mad:

Tequila-John
08-17-2006, 07:11 AM
more boats around = more boats to be stollen. I wonder if the % is up or down. Either way it sucks big ass when somebody steals big or small. :mad:
I agree bud. I think we need to step up out lock down?

sdpm
08-17-2006, 07:14 AM
In the good old USA there is no deturant to stop thieves. Get caught go to jail "maybe" and then get out soon because of overcrowding. For most the risk is worth it.

Tequila-John
08-17-2006, 07:16 AM
In the good old USA there is no deturant to stop thieves. Get caught go to jail "maybe" and then get out soon because of overcrowding. For most the risk is worth it.
Very true bud. But i think the more we try and detur the better

H20Advantage
08-17-2006, 07:17 AM
Do they have cameras at the Needles inspection station? Would think vehicle plates and boats would be captured on video there.
Havasu PD should look into some type of sytem that records on the north and south end of town that they could review after the report of a theft. Only two ways in and out ot that place.

Dribble
08-17-2006, 07:19 AM
Hey, I think you take this whole boob thing too lightly. Don't you know that one boob pooping out can lead to two? If left unchecked, there could be boobs popping out all over the place. This is a serous crime and it MUST BE STOPPED.

lawbreaker2
08-17-2006, 07:26 AM
Hey, I think you take this whole boob thing too lightly. Don't you know that one boob pooping out can lead to two? If left unchecked, there could be boobs popping out all over the place. This is a serous crime and it MUST BE STOPPED.
Most of those boobs could be "HOT" you know, so we have to check them all out carefully. :D Maybe thats way the cops hang down by the river, " sorry lady :D , we saw some boobs and well we need you to show us your so we can tell if it was indeed the ones we saw" :D

lawbreaker2
08-17-2006, 07:30 AM
Hey cop and the city make money on the boobs, not finding your boat, that would be a waste of time, Have you ever notice cop are always there AFTER the crime, their here to serv. and protect, yah right, they always show up after the crime to take paper work. They say not to take the law into your hands, but if we did, there would be less crime. :mad:

catman-do
08-17-2006, 07:40 AM
Sometimes it make me wonder about the cops in Havasu. I think they believe its just easier to hassle the people visiting rather than going after the real criminal element. Also being a small town I wonder how many of the cops are scared that if the fuk with the tweeks too much then the tweeks might come back and start messing with their property or families. Tweeks can be no joke sometimes, those guys dont really give a shit about jail as long as they can get high. I would think somewhere within the dept there might be someone that knows something about the stolen stuff as well. Come'on these dudes make 35k a year and can make a hell of alot more by letting some stuff slide on the side.

Devil's Advocate
08-17-2006, 07:49 AM
Andy
I think that's the case a lot of the time. But devastating if it's legit. And yes, often times making a claim leaves you open to be investigated like a criminal because of the high frequency of insurance fraud. I remember years ago when I was in an apartment and it was broken into. I got renters insurance like 2 days before because I felt like shiat was going on around the complex. I was broken into and then my insurance company had me speak with a private investigator, tape recording my conversation and all that jazz because they were suspicious. It worked out ok for me, but what a pain in the azz. :mad: But I still took some loss in the end.

superdave013
08-17-2006, 09:11 AM
I donno about that man. I bet a few tweekers could jack your boat and have it stripped and cut up before the sun comes up.
Tweekers don't just steal easy stuff, they steal everything! :yuk:

RitcheyRch
08-17-2006, 09:14 AM
They have video cameras but as far as I know they dont keep the records. A friend went through a similar thing when he was trying to locate a truck that did some damage to his vehicle. The inspection station told him they dont keep records.
Do they have cameras at the Needles inspection station? Would think vehicle plates and boats would be captured on video there.
Havasu PD should look into some type of sytem that records on the north and south end of town that they could review after the report of a theft. Only two ways in and out ot that place.

TwinMach26DCB
08-17-2006, 10:04 AM
My home is on the S. side of town and 3 weeks ago I left my H2 outside for the night.. Woke to find 3 eggs -- paint spiderwebbed and chipped -- dried (cooked) egg all over the car and garage doors... My bad -- I would normally jockey in the garage -- got home late, thought it would be fine.. I won't do THAT again.. I guess I'm at least lucky it was still there...

thumbs
08-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Hey cop and the city make money on the boobs, not finding your boat, that would be a waste of time, Have you ever notice cop are always there AFTER the crime, their here to serv. and protect, yah right, they always show up after the crime to take paper work. They say not to take the law into your hands, but if we did, there would be less crime. :mad:
Are you kidding? The city does not make money on tickets. Most of the $$ from fines goes to the courts.
Cops are there after the crime because they are not psychics. If they were there before the crime, say parked next to the boat that someone is going to steal, the boat would not be stolen. This gives me a great idea. All LE should be psychics and we would have no more crime.

VanDeano
08-17-2006, 11:31 AM
I had my boat stolen in front of my house and it wasn't insured and never recovered, but what pisses me off is I live on a dead end street and the only way out is at an intersection that has those cameras on every corner and there is no way someone could leave my block without getting videoed. I even had the exact time line it got stolen between 11:30am and 11:45am and I asked Torrance PD if they could just look at the tape. There answer was no it isn't used for that. What the fu*ck, Im sure it was my tax money that paid for that freaking thing, put that freaking thing to use and bust the freaking thief! Im sure if it was a cops boat that got stolen you be watching it like it was a porno. City bastards!

BoatPI
08-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the Data Dots response. Recently thay have been in the news for marking such items as your lap top computers, but as you can see thay can be used to identify mosy anything. Lo Jack is a great system, but not the answer for stolen cars/boats in rural areas. Sorry that I will not provide further info on why, but the good news is my inside source on Lo Jack indicated that they may soon have a GPS based unit. I will be at a meeting in September and get more info. With boats their is also the coast guard certification for any electronic item that would be secured in a concealed compartment. And how to hide a GPS antenna so it would not be the first item to be removed. I would be a strong advicate for any reliable GPS system approved for a boat. In all fairness that should qualify for a reduction in an insurance premium. No such thing is offered or at least not recgonized at this point. But with the high coats of insurance for Cats, this is a good way to keep track of your boat. Very few boats are recovered, in CA something like 32%. Interestingly when the company that I work with is hired by an insurance company, the recovery rate shoots up to about 48-50%. Sometimes it is who and what you know that resolves a claim. This forum is just one tool we all use to communicate.