PDA

View Full Version : General Opinions Please, '77 Tahiti.

DUCKY
07-23-2002, 08:35 PM
I would like some general opinions. I have the opportunity to purchase a '77 Tahiti mini-cruiser, that has been converted to a V-Drive, for a reasonable price. It needs some work, but it's workable. It has 3/4 stringers, and a little rocker in the bottom, but no hook. Does anyone know this hull well enough to say if it will be a decent cruiser? It currently has a 383 Chrysler, 12 degree casale, and no trans, but I plan to put a healthy BBC in with p-glide. I am looking for an 80 to 85mph cruiser. Will this hull get me there? :confused:

Kindsvater Flat
07-23-2002, 09:06 PM
Here is a cute little mini that runs great. To bad its a jet.
http://www.saber.net/~atthefarm/pic/alan.jpg

DUCKY
07-23-2002, 09:24 PM
Wow, thats a good lookin boat, but I agree about the pump! I think that is the same hull I am looking at, less bow railing.

HavasuDreamin'
07-24-2002, 06:00 AM
Not to bag on Tahiti, but I would want to go through that hull with a fine tooth comb if I am doing 85mph in a Tahiti. I have never seen one with a v-drive in it, I would think it would work, but don't know!

Sangster
07-24-2002, 08:19 AM
I used to have a 78' Tahiti mini-day cruiser, a jet also..It was a fun boat, very sturdy, but I don't think the bottom is right for a v-drive that does 80mph..It was designed for a jet... Also, dollar wise you would be in it way more than if you sold the Tahiti and bought a v-drive boat.. The hardware needed to convert over to a v-drive is expensive, even used parts add up to big bucks....Good luck....

Sangster
07-24-2002, 08:31 AM
Ducky... Go to www.dragboats.com (http://www.dragboats.com) There is a 77' v-drive Tahiti mini-day cruiser w/383 Chrysler ready to go w/trailer for $3000.00 Jest needs a little TLC...You can't go wrong here...

V-Drive Tom
07-24-2002, 07:59 PM
DUCKY, IF,,The work that has been done so far is good quality, and the bottom is like you say, then it can make a decent,fun,65or70mph daycruiser. You stated 3/4 stringers? (I hope you mean length) If all the work looks good and stout, it would be OK. But it's not going to make a great high MPH cruiser. Post some pics, lets see it!! TOM..

DUCKY
07-24-2002, 10:58 PM
Hey Sangster,
I was trying to keep it a secret, but the one on dragboats is it! I must be dense, 'cause I still can't figure out the pic posting thing! And yes, I mean 3/4 length stringers. It was originally had the little stringers that stop right in front of the engine, but when it was converted, they added on about 6 feet of stringer and bolted/braced them to the originals.

DUCKY
07-24-2002, 11:02 PM
I just sent V-Drive Tom a couple of pics. Maybe he can post 'em "hint, hint!"