PDA

View Full Version : DCB Accident?

Keith E. Sayre
08-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Curious to know about an accident involving DCB or Dave himself last weekend
in northern California? I'm not trying to start a big finger pointing thing with
wild speculations and hearsay either. I'm kind of surprised that noone else has said anything about it or was I misinformed?
Keith Sayre

mbrown2
08-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Take a look at the Big Cat Poker Run Threads in the Sandbar and West...it explains the incident at least by folks that were involved or near the incident....Dave was not driving any of the boats, but after the incident took over the driving duties of the wounded boat.

Kilrtoy
08-16-2006, 05:22 PM
it has been discussed that day......
as MBROWN SAID, It was not the big guy

riverbound
08-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Surprisingly enough, if this was ANY other boat mfr. there would be countless threads about it.
Why so much cover up?? :idea:

Kilrtoy
08-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Surprisingly enough, if this was ANY other boat mfr. there would be countless threads about it.
Why so much cover up?? :idea:
I dont know why, ask ANDY01 why the
SKATER
broke and caused this accident :rolleyes:

riverbound
08-16-2006, 05:39 PM
I dont know why, ask ANDY01 why the
SKATER
broke and caused this accident :rolleyes:
Skaters never break :p

djunkie
08-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Skaters never break :p
Exactly. Its because they're better than DCB's. :crossx: :crossx:

riverbound
08-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Exactly. Its because they're better than DCB's. :crossx: :crossx:
Dont you dare ever speak poorly of DCB.....the Kool-aid drinkers will jump all over you. :crossx:

Kilrtoy
08-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Dont you dare ever speak poorly of DCB.....the Kool-aid drinkers will jump all over you. :crossx:
There is always an exception to the rule and we let this poor misguided youth slide...

YeLLowBoaT
08-16-2006, 05:49 PM
I know 1 reason why it did NOT break...... that was hitting a wake that came off of a DCB

djunkie
08-16-2006, 05:55 PM
There is always an exception to the rule and we let this poor misguided youth slide...
Its because I own a Howard isn't it? :rollside: :rollside:

Kilrtoy
08-16-2006, 06:24 PM
I know 1 reason why it did NOT break...... that was hitting a wake that came off of a DCB
Razor's Skater collided w Dr. Evil. Hence, prop divits all along the port side of his Nortech. Result, Skater steering broke, sponson hooked, flipped, got pickle forked by DCB (which totally saw accident and tried to avoid).
well that is the word on the street

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-16-2006, 06:29 PM
and you all will be first in line to ride in one. :p

djunkie
08-16-2006, 06:46 PM
and you all will be first in line to ride in one. :p
Can I please? Can I can I? :rollside: :rollside:

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Can I please? Can I can I? :rollside: :rollside:
LOL!! if or when we get another. :) you bring the kool aid

dicudmore
08-16-2006, 07:15 PM
LOL!! if or when we get another. :) you bring the kool aid
I'll bring the kool-aid or whatever else it takes if I get a ride :cool:

mbrown2
08-16-2006, 07:18 PM
This thread should be called Skater accident as the only boats that seemed to be causing accidents that day were Skaters, allegedly that is........

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-16-2006, 07:52 PM
This thread should be called Skater accident as the only boats that seemed to be causing accidents that day were Skaters, allegedly that is........
:crossx: :coffeycup

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-16-2006, 07:54 PM
I'll bring the kool-aid or whatever else it takes if I get a ride :cool:
anytime anyone see's us all they have to do is yell. everyone and anyone is always welcome with us. :)

dicudmore
08-16-2006, 07:55 PM
or perhaps loose nut behind the wheel??

mbrown2
08-16-2006, 08:11 PM
:crossx: :coffeycup
When you guys heading to Parker? Have not seen you guys in a while?...:)

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-16-2006, 08:41 PM
When you guys heading to Parker? Have not seen you guys in a while?...:)
we are trying. hopefully before summer is over. we haven't been but 1 time this year. WORK SUCKS :mad: :)

mbrown2
08-16-2006, 08:57 PM
we are trying. hopefully before summer is over. we haven't been but 1 time this year. WORK SUCKS :mad: :)
I hear ya on work...its been a bear lately...hope to see you out there. :)

3 daytona`s
08-16-2006, 09:18 PM
I was reading another thread earlier and hit the point exactly. Poker Runs are accidents waiting to happen,Huge Egos,Little Experience,Showing Off, SPEED way beyond expeerience and conditions,etc,etc,etc.I`m thinking a miracle several people are not dead.I`ll bet this was a huge wake up for everyone involved and that $hit happens fast at 100 MPH.Things like this will bring boat driver education,testing, and licensing ,which I`m not against at all.The problem appears when inexperienced boaters with big Cats or V`s go out and show off.I can only assume several authorities are watching this.

Charley
08-17-2006, 06:49 AM
For the most part this thread is bull$hit .... more $hit talkin and Koolaid bull$hit... there is no cover up, but #1 there is a guy sitting in the hospital with a broken back that cant even step foot on a plane home for a minimum of 8 weeks, not to mention his ?? months of rehab....#2 there are probably 9-20 people having nightmares about this experience every night...either being tossed from a boat, being run over by a boat, just seeing it for some of the wives in the boats whatever and whoever they may be, it sucks and isnt cool...I feel bad for those people #3 (and least important) There is maybe a 1/2- 1 million dollars in damage to the boats
All 3 of these points could have been avoided but ultimately were caused by one or maybe 2 guys should share the blame. by the way did I mention
For the most part this thread is bull$hit
(not talking about Keith's initial question, thats fair, it's once again all the haters who want to take a serious situation and somehow start mfg bashing)

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-17-2006, 06:52 AM
I was reading another thread earlier and hit the point exactly. Poker Runs are accidents waiting to happen,Huge Egos,Little Experience,Showing Off, SPEED way beyond expeerience and conditions,etc,etc,etc.I`m thinking a miracle several people are not dead.I`ll bet this was a huge wake up for everyone involved and that $hit happens fast at 100 MPH.Things like this will bring boat driver education,testing, and licensing ,which I`m not against at all.The problem appears when inexperienced boaters with big Cats or V`s go out and show off.I can only assume several authorities are watching this.
I do agree with some of what you said. which is most.
We have been in a few poker runs through Jokers wild and they are one of the best organizers I have seen. They are very coutious about the runners. They take pride in their work and they always say and repeat it. " this is not a race, this is for all to have fun and stay safe."
They do not let all the boats go at one time due to it being dangerous. as long as you get to your check points and get your cards and you get back safely with your crew. Then that should be all that matters. :) (imo)

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-17-2006, 06:56 AM
For the most part this thread is bull$hit .... more $hit talkin and Koolaid bull$hit... there is no cover up, but #1 there is a guy sitting in the hospital with a broken back that cant even step foot on a plane home for a minimum of 8 weeks, not to mention his ?? months of rehab....#2 there are probably 9-20 people having nightmares about this experience every night...either being tossed from a boat, being run over by a boat, just seeing it for some of the wives in the boats whatever and whoever they may be, it sucks and isnt cool...I feel bad for those people #3 (and least important) There is maybe a 1/2- 1 million dollars in damage to the boats
All 3 of these points could have been avoided but ultimately were caused by one or maybe 2 guys should share the blame. by the way did I mention
(not talking about Keith's initial question, thats fair, it's once again all the haters who want to take a serious situation and somehow start mfg bashing)
:shift: Great post charley, Everyone should stop and think about those who were involved and injured instead of trying to point the finger. Prey for those who are hurt.

BoatFloating
08-17-2006, 07:17 AM
I agree with you Charley 100%. It's neither the time or the place for jokes or what boat caused what. It was an accident and many peoples lifes are effect. I commend Dave for hoping in a guys wounded DCB and driving it to safety because he was too shaken and hurt to. And by all accounts the DCB that got hit was minding his own business and got caught up in the mix.....
I love having fun with the DCB guys but there is a place and time and this isn't it...PERIOD...

STVBOY
08-17-2006, 07:35 AM
I think some of you are over reacting alittle! Can anyone confirm that a drive did break and what kind it was? If it was a bravo than there is room for discussion here. Those drives are a tinking time bomb putting horsepower to them. I personally know people who had one break in the past and were ejected out of the boat and luckily no serious injuries.Would like to hear more detail of what caused this accident so everyone can learn from this!
Just my 2 cents

Tom Slick
08-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Sounds to me like all of this was an accident much like what happens daily on our highways. Boat A) is running along side boat B) when boat A) has a possible mechanical failure and crashes into boat B). What follows is a pile up as many tried to avoid the initial accident. Some were successful in avoiding being involved in the pile up, while others weren't as fortunate. Fact is, it was a boating accident that happened in a sanctioned poker run event. None of this was ever intentional, hence the word accident. Is there blame in every accident? Yes, but it is still an accident. The blame lies on boat A), as it is the originator of the accident, however boat A) didn't intentionally crash. To sit hear and flame different parties that were involved in the accident is pretty lame, as no one involved ever intended for this to happen. Everyone that enters on of these events, or rides in a performance boat should have the common sense to know that nothing about what they are doing is entirely safe and that things can happen very fast at anytime and for any reason. Let’s face it, performance boating no matter what form of it can be dangerous and things happen very quick. Just be glad that know one was killed and hope for all that were involved have a full and successful recovery physically and mentally.

Charley
08-17-2006, 08:17 AM
I think some of you are over reacting alittle! Can anyone confirm that a drive did break and what kind it was? If it was a bravo than there is room for discussion here. Those drives are a tinking time bomb putting horsepower to them. I personally know people who had one break in the past and were ejected out of the boat and luckily no serious injuries.Would like to hear more detail of what caused this accident so everyone can learn from this!
Just my 2 cents
Well sorry to shoot your theory to hell but it was an arneson that failed

Havasu Cig
08-17-2006, 08:22 AM
I have ran in Poker Runs in both the ocean and on the Lake, and it is because of situations like this that I always felt safer in the ocean. There is a lot more room for the boats to spread out and pass. On the lake you feel like you are being squeezed because of the lack of room. I don't know how big the body of water is where this happened because I have not boated there, but it sounds like this might have been an issue. Hopefully everybody recovers.

Singleton
08-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Anybody read the new issue of ***boats and the article on California passing mandatory boating safety courses and a possible boat operator license. The commission met last night (Aug 17) and based on a brief chat I had this morning with a buddy working for one of the committee members the events from last weekend were discussed and it looks like new laws are going to be passed that make it mandatory for all California boater to take yearly safety courses and apply for a boat operator licenses.

XFactor
08-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Sounds to me like all of this was an accident much like what happens daily on our highways. Boat A) is running along side boat B) when boat A) has a possible mechanical failure and crashes into boat B). What follows is a pile up as many tried to avoid the initial accident. Some were successful in avoiding being involved in the pile up, while others weren't as fortunate. Fact is, it was a boating accident that happened in a sanctioned poker run event. None of this was ever intentional, hence the word accident. Is there blame in every accident? Yes, but it is still an accident. The blame lies on boat A), as it is the originator of the accident, however boat A) didn't intentionally crash. To sit hear and flame different parties that were involved in the accident is pretty lame, as no one involved ever intended for this to happen. Everyone that enters on of these events, or rides in a performance boat should have the common sense to know that nothing about what they are doing is entirely safe and that things can happen very fast at anytime and for any reason. Let’s face it, performance boating no matter what form of it can be dangerous and things happen very quick. Just be glad that know one was killed and hope for all that were involved have a full and successful recovery physically and mentally.
Sorry. I can't agree with your assessment of an accident or this particular accident. It's been stated (maybe just rumor) that the boat that failed was suspect prior to the poker run and the boat owner was made aware of that. If this is the case, and you’re comparing a vehicle accident to a boat accident, then I ask, would you get in a Porsche and drive down a crowded highway @ 120mph knowing the lug nuts are loose? Some accidents are truly that, an accident. Unfortunately most accidents are due to negligence on the drivers behalf. That to me is an avoidable accident. This particular accident sounds like it falls into the latter of the two categories. Just my .02!!

Dave C
08-17-2006, 10:10 AM
This is a serious issue. Probably less to do with the brand of boat or more to do with the loose nut behind the wheel.... but we can only monday morning quarter back cuz we weren't there.
Also the location of the poker run may have something to do with it. The Delta is very small in most places. There was definite close quarter racing. Not exactly ideal terrain to be holding a poker run with very fast boats. Some of the sloughs are no bigger than a postage stamp.
the ensuing pile-up may not have occurred at another location with more room to maneuver.

TOBTEK
08-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Just my 2 cents
I recieved a phone call yesterday from a close friend of the owner of the 30ft skater. He told me that the steering failed, not the drive. Have also heard through the grapevine that they were having some issues with the steering before the event. "IF SO" WHY take a chance and put every in harms way? bad deal all the way around! For this to turn into a DCB bashing thread YET AGAIN is uncalled for..... for what ever its worth.

bohica
08-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Unfortunately in these times there's no such thing as an accident. Everything is an "Incident" these days in which the insurance companies, lawyers, law inforcement and the internet will have a field day with.
Thankfully no one was killed and a big thumbs up to UnionJack and other that helped out.

andy01
08-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Opinions are like azzholes and that is all that is here. I haven't posted on this subject because I have nothing to say. I WASN'T THERE! All I know is some people with some very nice boats went to have a hell of a good time with some others that share a passion (like us here) and they didn't come home the same way they left. None of us ever want to go to the river/ocean/poker run/offroading/flying or what ever your hobby it is that you (me) enjoy and not drive home on the day we are planned to leave in the car we drove to our hobby in with our family next to us.
Preschool cop I'll save your post for another day, but for now why don't you think about the big picture of lives and boats. Not run your fingers across your keyboard typing again about this boat that boat. DCB's are nice, but it doens't make you something your not..........
Again Charley very good post man!
May everybody that witnessed this accident and was involved in this accident have a very very fast and 110% recovery!!
Anybody that has seen this sort of stuff or been involved with something like this knows it will f with your mind for a long time. I would bet that Charley has no want to get in his boat right now and pin the sticks. Shit like this makes one think. Not saying anything about Charley at all, about life in general.
Andy

Kilrtoy
08-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Preschool cop I'll save your post for another day, but for now why don't you think about the big picture of lives and boats. Not run your fingers across your keyboard typing again about this boat that boat. DCB's are nice, but it doens't make you something your not..........
who pissed in your cherrios now, im sorry what was I again, please remind me

Boatlesss
08-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Like better people than I have stated "finger pointing" is useless, but someone said the Skater was forced to/ran in the shore line and possibly struck something.
If this is the case then it really is an accident.
As for the DCB that struck the Skater when it was upside down. Avoidable??? I read where there were like 140 boats coming down the channel at the same time. Crowded to say the least.

Kilrtoy
08-17-2006, 01:41 PM
I apologize to you ANDY, I confused you and Havasu Cig.
and the reference was made towards all the finger pointers, blaming DCB

Tom Slick
08-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Sorry. I can't agree with your assessment of an accident or this particular accident. It's been stated (maybe just rumor) that the boat that failed was suspect prior to the poker run and the boat owner was made aware of that. If this is the case, and you’re comparing a vehicle accident to a boat accident, then I ask, would you get in a Porsche and drive down a crowded highway @ 120mph knowing the lug nuts are loose? Some accidents are truly that, an accident. Unfortunately most accidents are due to negligence on the drivers behalf. That to me is an avoidable accident. This particular accident sounds like it falls into the latter of the two categories. Just my .02!!
Not knowing the actual facts on why the Skater initially crashed makes this a boating accident. Whether or not the boat was defective leaving the dock and whether or not the owner was aware of a problem are a mute point until further investigation says any different. If the owner was aware of any problems prior to leaving the dock and proceeding to head out and run in this event is pure stupidity and totally irresponsible to say the least. If it is determined that this was caused by a mechanical failure of some kind and nobody was aware of any prior problems then you can sum this up by saying it was an unfortunate accident. I was simply trying to state that this was a boating accident and I don't believe that anyone leaving the dock that day had any intentions of causing or being involved in an accident. I am also not trying to defend anyone either, nor am I trying to pass any blame. I'm sure that an investigation will follow and a conclusion will be made, but accidents happen avoidable or not. I am however appalled at how some of those that were involved handled the situation by leaving the accident scene. Seems to me that those people have some serious explaining to do. Hopefully once the dust settles from this we can all learn something from it to try and prevent such incidents from taking place in the future. I again hope that all involved will recover and go onto better days of boating.

STVBOY
08-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Well sorry to shoot your theory to hell but it was an arneson that failed
Well I guess your theory got shot to hell also it was the steering that failed not the arneson! The bravos still suck! :D

Boatlesss
08-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Who was throttling the 32' DCB that struck the upside down Skater?

Jrocket
08-17-2006, 06:31 PM
I agree with you Charley 100%. It's neither the time or the place for jokes or what boat caused what. It was an accident and many peoples lifes are effect. I commend Dave for hoping in a guys wounded DCB and driving it to safety because he was too shaken and hurt to. And by all accounts the DCB that got hit was minding his own business and got caught up in the mix.....
I love having fun with the DCB guys but there is a place and time and this isn't it...PERIOD...
Rocky,Charley both nicely said post's.

fuelcustoms
08-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Does anybody know the color of the skater with the broke steering or drive?

mbrown2
08-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Dave was throttling.The injured guy had the wheel.
I was not aware the 32's had center throttles....I thought the throttles on the 32 were just to the right of the driver....at least all the 32's I have seen....

BoatFloating
08-17-2006, 09:11 PM
I was not aware the 32's had center throttles....I thought the throttles on the 32 were just to the right of the driver....at least all the 32's I have seen....
And I think DCB that was involved was a 29'...

MACH26
08-17-2006, 09:11 PM
I fall into category #2, am thinking and praying for category #1, almost feel like I don't need #3....thanks for the post Charlie

Phat Matt
08-17-2006, 09:50 PM
Does anybody know the color of the skater with the broke steering or drive?
I think it was this boat.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2595skater_30_deck_girl.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2595resized_30_skater.JPG

Phat Matt
08-17-2006, 09:53 PM
OMG...That's beautiful Matt :)
That is quite nice. :D

Charley
08-18-2006, 06:21 AM
Who was throttling the 32' DCB that struck the upside down Skater?
You mean the Skater with the failed Arneson?? oh ya the owner of the boat (not Dave) was both driving and throttling
Well I guess your theory got shot to hell also it was the steering that failed not the arneson! The bravos still suck! :D
The Arneson failed... you might hear a steering story now, which doesnt surprise me one bit at this point...in fact it makes perfect $ense :rolleyes:
Dave was throttling.The injured guy had the wheel.
Gary, cmon this isnt like you at all...there are no center throttles on any of the DCBs and the injured guy was a passenger in the backseat and was ejected, the driver who was also throttling was shaken up so bad that Dave hopped in the driver's seat to keep the boat from sinking. I spent the better half of the afternoon with the driver and he seems to be a very good, decent kind of guy.
And I think DCB that was involved was a 29'...
It was a 32 with 1080 teagues and 6 drives
I fall into category #2, am thinking and praying for category #1, almost feel like I don't need #3....thanks for the post Charlie
Sorry man I know you and the wife were shaken by this...be careful bro, your boat turned out absolutely bitchen!
yes that's the boat...terrible shame, it is a nice boat
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2595resized_30_skater.JPG[/QUOTE]

Havasu Cig
08-18-2006, 08:38 AM
I apologize to you ANDY, I confused you and Havasu Cig.
and the reference was made towards all the finger pointers, blaming DCB
WTF are you talking about? I have one post in this thread and did not mention DCB or Skater. I think you night be confused again???

unleashed
08-18-2006, 08:47 AM
Charley clean out your stored pm box!
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

Charley
08-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Charley clean out your stored pm box!
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:
I've Douched my box

DMOORE
08-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Isn't that the boat that is used in the Arneson Drive ads?
Darrell.

deltarat
08-18-2006, 10:33 AM
Anybody read the new issue of ***boats and the article on California passing mandatory boating safety courses and a possible boat operator license. The commission met last night (Aug 17) and based on a brief chat I had this morning with a buddy working for one of the committee members the events from last weekend were discussed and it looks like new laws are going to be passed that make it mandatory for all California boater to take yearly safety courses and apply for a boat operator licenses.
While I dont see this as a good thing, I think that it is a ggod thing that some of the idiots that are out on the water get some safety courses. That can only make boating a safer thing to do with the family; I for one am always on edge when I have my wife and kids with me, I worry about every boat I see coming towards me and weather or not they are paying attention to what the hell is going on around them.

Tom Slick
08-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Isn't that the boat that is used in the Arneson Drive ads?
Darrell.
Yes :frown:

fuelcustoms
08-18-2006, 06:29 PM
That boat has the brand new asd7 drives on it. The big improvement was suppose to be the steering system.If the steering was the problem it looks like they might need a little more r&d.Has anybody else heard of any other arneson breaking?Ive only heard postive things about them.I guess like anything else there always is an exception to the rule.I still think they are the most durable drive out there.