PDA

View Full Version : Carb. mounting question?

JT2Fast4U
08-17-2006, 07:36 AM
This might be a stupid question, but I had to ask, & I haven't seen this question addressed on the forums either. So here goes...Is it possible to mount a holley carb.(list#4780) backwards on the intake? Or are there any draw-backs to doing this? Reason why I ask is because my Quadrajet carb. that I have on my boat now, has been nothin but problems for me. I've replaced it twice it the last 2 years, but anyway, I have an extra Holley 4-bbl.laying around that I wanted to use instead of the Q-jet, but the linkage is on the oppesite side then what it is on the Q-jet. So instead of having to buy & re-route a longer throttle cable, I was thinking of just mounting it backwards. Since the bolt holes all line up & the linkage would be on the right side then, I figured why not? I would probably need an "adapter" since the intake manifold is a "Torker" & looks like it was made for a "spreadbore" carb. & the holley I have, is a "squarebore". But other then that, is it possible to mount it backwards? Or am I just being stupid??? I would appreicate your opinions on this. Thanks in advance...JT2Fast4U

RumRunner
08-18-2006, 05:51 AM
Yes, you can mount a carburetor backwards. This is done on Drag race applications all of the time.

roostwear
08-18-2006, 06:55 AM
The Holley on my Stevens is "backwards". You will need to check a couple things though. Pull the bowls and see if you have jet extensions on the secondaries, and if you have a "whistle" in the primaries. If you have either, swap them from one bowl to the other. If you don't have them, consider getting them.

JT2Fast4U
08-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the info. RumRunner & Roostwear, it's much appreciated! :)
I don't know what I would do without this forum, it's GREAT!!! Thanks again... JT2Fast4u

Moneypitt
08-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the info. RumRunner & Roostwear, it's much appreciated! :)
I don't know what I would do without this forum, it's GREAT!!! Thanks again... JT2Fast4u
I've never seen a q jet with the linkage on the starboard side. Is that a special marine carb, or was the q jet mounted backwards.........or is the motor in flywheel forward? Either way, the Holley linkage should be on the same side as the q jet.......MP

MarKist
08-19-2006, 02:01 AM
been like that for 3 years and no problems.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1164phils_pics_070.jpg
Markist

MarKist
08-19-2006, 02:04 AM
oh yeah and NO jet extensions ........
Markist

SmokinLowriderSS
08-19-2006, 09:01 AM
Not to try to hijack the thread, but it seems covered.
I've not ever had any jet extensions in my Holley either, pri or secc, but my carb DOES have the vent whistles on both ends. What's the purpose of the extensions roosterwear and what kind of behavior seems to generate a need for them that I should be watching for?

nailhead13
08-19-2006, 06:07 PM
what are the advantages of running the carbs backwards