PDA

View Full Version : Grease Fitting In My Gear Oil Reservour???? Anyone Know Why???

jfarrjl
08-17-2006, 02:55 PM
:cool: I just got a boat, the pump has a grease fitting in the back of the pump in where the oil reservour is (one of the two bolts was replaced with it). Why and will it run with grease, without problems. Anyone hear of this being done before? Thanks, dont feel like buying a pump until I at least get it in the water once!!! :yuk:

4trax
08-17-2006, 03:35 PM
:cool: I just got a boat, the pump has a grease fitting in the back of the pump in where the oil reservour is (one of the two bolts was replaced with it). Why and will it run with grease, without problems. Anyone hear of this being done before? Thanks, dont feel like buying a pump until I at least get it in the water once!!! :yuk:
I was told that american turbine uses a different set up. That is why they run reg. grease instead of gear oil. If you don't have american turbine I don't know what to tell you. I have 12JF berk. and asked same thing. Would it be better, they told me no to stay with gear oil for my set up.

TJS
08-17-2006, 04:28 PM
I just had Duane(Hi-Tech) do this to my JG Berk. This was done to my bowl because the bushing housing was worn and the stock bushings would just fall out. There is a kit for this I think hi tech or Cp shows it on their site. Just make sure there is grease in there.
T.J.

Devilman
08-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Without knowing what kind of pump you have, it would be hard to say... I'm going out on a limb here, but a Berkeley has the two plugs at the 10 o' clock & 2 o' clock position. The majority of people run gear oil (80-90 weight) in there. Pull them both out, squirt gear oil in one side, till it comes out the other... The grease fitting may have been used as a plug. Wouldn't be the first time I saw that happen. Worked on one just the other day like that.... :rollside:

jfarrjl
08-17-2006, 07:20 PM
BERKELEY JC-A pulled other plug its looks empty, but cant see much, stuck wire down hole nothing. Other plug had grease inside. What you think blown seal and a Jerry Riged????????????? :) I guess I might as well go with the flow and put another fitting on the other one and pack it with grease before giving this thing a test run. Any more insite appreciated, and thanks allot. Novice about to hit the water :cool: :crossx:

4trax
08-17-2006, 07:23 PM
I wouldn't. I would wait till you get more answers from on here or start calling the shops.

jfarrjl
08-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Ya, just being facisious, looking for an answer, hoping I can salvage something to try and enjoy a little of this season. The boat hasnt hit the water yet. Trying to find as much knoledge as I can, please help. I have an edjumucation in jet pumps. Please help me to buy time until I can afford a new pump. I really dont want to waist the time and money on a rebuild, and need time to save up for race pump.

4trax
08-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Ya, just being facisious, looking for an answer, hoping I can salvage something to try and enjoy a little of this season. The boat hasnt hit the water yet. Trying to find as much knoledge as I can, please help. I have an edjumucation in jet pumps. Please help me to buy time until I can afford a new pump. I really dont want to waist the time and money on a rebuild, and need time to save up for race pump.
Call ARS Marine and talk to George. 1-708-449-0200 or 1-708-417-3693. His shops in Berkeley, IL. HELL of a nice guy and knows what he's doing.

atxwrangler
08-17-2006, 07:58 PM
i bought my 76 rogers bonneville like that ,still is,pulled it apart with devilman the other day and it seemed well lubed.after we put it back together i shot it full of marine grade grease again.now back to the river like i have been running it all summer!

h2oboy
08-17-2006, 08:14 PM
I set my pump up this way.... Just pull the plug on the opposite side and greese it like anything else, till it comes out the other side. I have had zero problems and it is easy to do.....
Just my 2 cents

inwo
08-18-2006, 05:59 AM
I've been meaning to post about this too. :)
A project boat that I just picked up (12JF) is pumped full of grease.
Seems bad to me. But I don't remember how close to the bearing the common point is. That is; the point where the two grease ports meet.
If grease gets forced thru the bearing it should be ok. But if the grease just short circuits from one zerk to the other port, then the grease may never melt down into the rear bearing.
Hope to hear good news, so I don't have to tear it down right away! :cry:

Rondane
08-18-2006, 07:11 AM
was told by don that when this happens the seal has worn a deep enough groove in the shaft to where the seal wont do its job anymore. Very common after years of use. Grease works fine just make sure the cavity is filled. In one hole until it comes out the other. Make sure it's marine grade.
rondane

IMPATIENT 1
08-18-2006, 12:47 PM
was told by don that when this happens the seal has worn a deep enough groove in the shaft to where the seal wont do its job anymore. Very common after years of use. Grease works fine just make sure the cavity is filled. In one hole until it comes out the other. Make sure it's marine grade.
rondane
he's rite, i had this prob one time myself.you couldn't use gear lube because it'd just pour out the intake, had to use w/b grease till i got a better shaft and bowl resealed.sounds like it's time to check your shaft and reseal your bowl.

inwo
08-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Thats reassuring. (others doing it).
How about making an end cap with a zerk for worn pumps? Give it a shot before going out. :idea:

BlueJob
08-18-2006, 06:48 PM
he's rite, i had this prob one time myself.you couldn't use gear lube because it'd just pour out the intake, had to use w/b grease till i got a better shaft and bowl resealed.sounds like it's time to check your shaft and reseal your bowl.
We have our pump setup with a zerk fitting. Before, after you hit the gas the first couple times you'd see a nice slick come out the from the pump and we were having to refill it every time out. A local guy that does pump work down here in Magnolia told us to use a zerk and fill it with grease. Just make sure it's full the same as with gear oil and you are good to go! Been doing this for about two years now with zero problems.

jfarrjl
08-18-2006, 10:30 PM
:rollside: :rollside: :rollside: Thanks everyone. I might have achance of getting this boat in the water yet :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: I dont know anything about pumps, and without your help, well it would ahve already blown up. I cant wait to hit the water!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)