PDA

View Full Version : HallCraft V-drive gear oil..how much?

Lumpy
06-05-2002, 12:38 PM
I have a early model Hallcraft V-drive. On the back there is a thing that flips up and you put the gear oil in there. It is about half ways up on the vdrive unit. Just wondering do I keep filling till it no longer drains in this hole or is there another plug lower on the unit I have to remove and wait till I see oil come out of it? Thanks........Lumpy

63stevens
06-05-2002, 01:12 PM
on the front side of the v-drive there should be a small 1/8inch pipe plug. that is the oil level of the v-drive. take the plug out and fill it will oil until it runs out of the hole..

Lumpy
06-05-2002, 02:22 PM
Thanks.. I found it. Had to take out the front bench seat to find it. Well after overfilling it I opened the plug and let quite a bit out. Oh well I guess it needed a good flush anyways. I have been outside for an hour flushing the bottom of the boat out with water and simple green to get all the oil residue out. These v-drives don't take much oil. Is it just enough for the lower gear to get some on it then sling it around? By the way I just used regular Chevron Delo 85-190wt I believe gear oil. Will this work for now until I find some redline stuff? Thanks for your help.........Lumpy

69 Elim
06-05-2002, 03:24 PM
Lumpy - if you ever come to Fresno, Western Speeed and Fuel sells Redline (and a bunch of other cool stuff).