PDA

View Full Version : Question? Nostalgia class raceing

mouzer
08-17-2006, 06:05 PM
How can i run the nosty class if the speed is limited to 80 mph?its monitored by gps in the boat, my boat is ss63 and is alot faster! what do i need to do? i really dont want to start in SS.

Moneypitt
08-17-2006, 07:25 PM
If you run your SS boat at Irvine (OR ?) with a gps, note the speed (80) at a given RPM, then just keep the Rs down below that point. Or, gear it/prop it to max out at 80. A little homework would be in order, but you're gonna need the seat time anyway. Good luck, and keep the prop side down :) :) :rollside: .........Ray

ss396
08-17-2006, 07:38 PM
:) hey come race with us at moses lake wa we do not have to have a gps on our boats. i take it you are in cal. from my understanding you do not have to start all over. :idea: the key is to learn how not to go as fast down the straight a way to stay under the gps speed. since gps shows top speed not average speed. being a racer i can see how that is going to be a real problem. the other way is to figure out what rpm you hit the top speed then set the rev limit to that point so you only go top speed minus aprox half mile an hour that way you do not take a chance of going over the max on gps. good luck :idea: :cool:

GofastRacer
08-17-2006, 07:53 PM
How can i run the nosty class if the speed is limited to 80 mph?its monitored by gps in the boat, my boat is ss63 and is alot faster! what do i need to do? i really dont want to start in SS.
All you need to do is figure what rpm is at 80mph, and then control yourself!.. :D :D

lilrick
08-17-2006, 08:37 PM
I hope you get involved, and actually start racing, but at the same time please don't waste anybody's time.

FlatRat
08-18-2006, 02:22 AM
All you need to do is figure what rpm is at 80mph, and then control yourself!.. :D :D
:argue:

canam10
08-18-2006, 04:23 AM
Art,
Boyd will have to jump in here but aren't the courses set up very small as to make it very difficult to run more than 80mph. Unless your out front it's very difficult to be watching Tachs gauges and anything else. Even on the big courses I had difficulty watching anything. If you have good water and are running out front on the long course you could get a look at the oil pressure if you were lucky. You have all you can do to keep track of the other 8-9 boats around you, try and get set up for the next corner and just keep the boat flat. Thats way everybody that comes back with a blown engine says the oil pressure was fine before it blew !! Because the last time they had time to look at it was just before the race started !!! It blew because they lost oil pressure 2 laps ago and never had time to look at the gauge to see they were losing oil pressure. As you know when you start getting up there in speed things become very blury with all the vibration.

MAXIMUS
08-18-2006, 05:08 AM
Its not that hard. Get a good gps & strap it to the steering wheel or dash where you can keep an eye on it. After a few runs you will get a pretty good feel for the speed & break out points. The biggest problem breaking out is when you come off a turn to hard & find yourself excellerating past the break out point. Faster turns & smoother throttle work makes for a more controlled enviorment!

GofastRacer
08-18-2006, 06:07 AM
Art,
Boyd will have to jump in here but aren't the courses set up very small as to make it very difficult to run more than 80mph. Unless your out front it's very difficult to be watching Tacks gauges and anything else. Even on the big courses I had difficulty watching anything. If you have good water and are running out front on the long course you could get a look at the oil pressure if you were lucky. You have all you can do to keep track of the other 8-9 boats around you, try and get set up for the next corner and just keep the boat flat. Thats way everybody that comes back with a blown engine says the oil pressure was fine before it blew !! Because the last time they had time to look at it was just before the race started !!! It blew because they lost oil pressure 2 laps ago and never had time to look at the gauge to see they were losing oil pressure. As you know when you start getting up there in speed things become very blury with all the vibration.
Yeah his courses are set up to keep the speeds down, but when you run on a 1 mile single pin turn it's easy to go over the limit, but if you put the tach on the column with the max rpm so the needle is straight up, it will be in your vision you don't have to stare at it unless you're looking thru a straw, you can do the same for oil pressure or use a Pro Light!.. It's called sand baggin, takes a little practice!.. :D

Roaddogg 4040
08-18-2006, 06:12 AM
Hey guys, it might be hard for the Mouzer to control himself!!! :) :)
Steve

GofastRacer
08-18-2006, 06:42 AM
Hey guys, it might be hard for the Mouzer to control himself!!! :) :)
Steve
What, to go fast or not to sell the boat!.. :D

BILLY.B
08-18-2006, 07:14 AM
How can i run the nosty class if the speed is limited to 80 mph?.C'mon Mouzer who the *%%k are you kidding. :argue: . With you behind the wheel of the tow vehicle it will be easy for you to only run 80mph. And running 80mph means your 25mph over the speed limit when you tow the SS63 over to the new owners house. And the last time I ck'd there wasn't a O/B nosty class. You did buy the O/B right???.

canam10
08-18-2006, 07:16 AM
Yeah his courses are set up to keep the speeds down, but when you run on a 1 mile single pin turn it's easy to go over the limit, but if you put the tach on the column with the max rpm so the needle is straight up, it will be in your vision you don't have to stare at it unless you're looking thru a straw, you can do the same for oil pressure or use a Pro Light!.. It's called sand baggin, takes a little practice!.. :D
Man Art,
That sounds like a harder way to race than the way we do !!! I Liked being able to push as hard as I could on that right pedal to keep myself in the seat and run the boat with the left foot. Never had all thoes fancy tachs and Pro lights !!! just had the couple gauges Julian put in the boat when I got it !! At the end of a race we'd just lie as to how many RPM's and how much oil pressure we had !!! Later, at night, oil pressure was still good RPM's went up a few thousand and speed !!!! Damn were we FAST !!!!!!

mouzer
08-18-2006, 07:31 AM
C'mon Mouzer who the *%%k are you kidding. :argue: . With you behind the wheel of the tow vehicle it will be easy for you to only run 80mph. And running 80mph means your 25mph over the speed limit when you tow the SS63 over to the new owners house. And the last time I ck'd there wasn't a O/B nosty class. You did buy the O/B right???.NO BILLY i passed on the o/b,and decided tokeep the ss63 and im looking for a little ski natique older one for the family. sorry to dissapoint ya! :p :D

mouzer
08-18-2006, 07:35 AM
......AND i pick up my life jacket on saturday in the sandiego area! san marcos i think! and my helmet is being painted black by a friend who is puting IT'S MoUzER " on each side...... :rolleyes:

lilrick
08-18-2006, 08:05 AM
......AND i pick up my life jacket on saturday in the sandiego area! san marcos i think! and my helmet is being painted black by a friend who is puting IT'S MoUzER " on each side...... :rolleyes:
Sorry, but black will not be accepted. Read the ApBA rule book...International orange . Well Mouzer I hope you go for it cuzz my D'cucci is gonna rock your world!!

obnoxious001
08-18-2006, 08:31 AM
I talked to one guy at Long Beach Saturday who had a 740 HP 454 in his nostalgia class boat. He won two heats, and broke out by one tenth mph in the third. It occurred to me that using a rev limiter might be the cool way to control your foot, or possibly even a 2 step so you could use all the power in the turns.

MKEELINE
08-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Be careful, It's dangerous the go that fast while your thumbing through the Boat Trader. :crossx:

mouzer
08-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Sorry, but black will not be accepted. Read the ApBA rule book...International orange . Well Mouzer I hope you go for it cuzz my D'cucci is gonna rock your world!!your right! i will get another helmet for raceing...thanks Rick!

mouzer
08-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Be careful, It's dangerous the go that fast while your thumbing through the Boat Trader. :crossx:Just aslong as i dont lose the olive out of my martini!then it rolls around under my feet and bugs me!! :p

uclahater
08-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Why not run Nostalgia, P/S, and Superstock :idea: :idea: Its seat time your lookin for so run them all :idea:

Moneypitt
08-18-2006, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=canam10]
Boyd will have to jump in here but aren't the courses set up very small as to make it very difficult to run more than 80mph.
Up in the Pac Nor west I guess they run flat out on a short course. In region 12 they run the same course as everyone else, 1 1/4, 4 laps. Be aware that if you run over a certain speed, (85 I think), you will be asked not to run the nosty classes any more. This is due to too many others running nosty as a test session and exceeding the limit by a bunch. It was/is considered unsafe to have drastically different speeds of the boats competing in the same heat. I would think you could wire up an RPM actuated pro "shift" light to tell you when you were approaching max allowable speed. There are so many ways to control/inform you of speed, but that overall desire to be first would/could override them all. Now the 711 boat, Spearmint Rhino entry, is so successful because it will only go 80, even downhill..........So he keeps it flat out and doesn't worry.......MP

olbiezer
08-18-2006, 03:36 PM
i think its going to be really hard to hold up a FOR SALE sign with one hand and drive the boat with the other and watch the gps for 80 mph......... :argue:

stickmann
08-18-2006, 03:59 PM
How about little gears and small propellers as a speed limiter?

CircleJerk
08-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Nostalgia needs racers with Nostalgic boats, so he qualifies sort of, but has anyone seen him drive a boat? In water? Sorry, but I have to side with the Chief K-boat Man of the Class, why are we posting?

mouzer
08-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice.so just let all my post run out. no problem! No More post. i will figure it out on my own from here.what i want to do.truly thanks again....Mike.....MoUzEr is signing off! :)

Moneypitt
08-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice.so just let all my post run out. no problem! No More post. i will figure it out on my own from here.what i want to do.truly thanks again....Mike.....MoUzEr is signing off! :)
Mike, you show up to race and I will be happy to help you in anyway I can. Let me know when and where and I will try to be there. ...........Ray

Roaddogg 4040
08-19-2006, 08:02 AM
Hey Mouzer, if you really want to go slow let me help you... :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: Ray will just make you faster...
Steve

mikejr ss63
01-15-2007, 12:06 PM
hey mouzer, i was reading your some of your posts and it says you own ss-63 i would really like to know what boat this is because i own ss-63 and i have since 2000. help me out here thanks

lilrick
01-16-2007, 09:08 AM
probably more than one.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
01-16-2007, 09:46 AM
hey mouzer, i was reading your some of your posts and it says you own ss-63 i would really like to know what boat this is because i own ss-63 and i have since 2000. help me out here thanks
This is the 63 mouzer owned briefly....
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Max%20Harding.jpg

Rattle Can Lou
01-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Hey Jerry...that's the famous Riviera brand that everybody wants. I'm the lucky guy that can make that come true for somebody.....

VDRIVERACING
01-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Not breaking out is THE most important aspect of this class. Every race, one or more of the front runners breaks out, and some guy in a stocker going 65 places. The key to this class is accelleration, minimal time through the turns, and not breaking out on top speed. After all the thousands spent on engines, fuel, and entry fees, a readable accurate speedo seems like a no brainer.
The problem faced with timing speed against RPM is that many conditions affect speed, and RPM is only one of them. Sure, on a glassy surface under identical atmosphereic conditions (laboratory conditions), RPM would be a constant. In racing conditions, however, one is battling currents, wind, and any level of surface chop. Cav peddle postion alone varies my top speed by 8-10 MPH, and you're gonna be using that peddle!
I have a Rex Marine water fed large diameter speedo that you can see while winging along, and they are fairly inexpensive. The hand held GPS CAN be read, but it's hard to see all the time from getting bouced around. You can always go the top drawer way, and buy a large dash-mounted display.

Jetboatguru
01-16-2007, 01:29 PM
What do you think about upping the limit to 85?

GofastRacer
01-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Not breaking out is THE most important aspect of this class. Every race, one or more of the front runners breaks out, and some guy in a stocker going 65 places. The key to this class is accelleration, minimal time through the turns, and not breaking out on top speed. After all the thousands spent on engines, fuel, and entry fees, a readable accurate speedo seems like a no brainer.
The problem faced with timing speed against RPM is that many conditions affect speed, and RPM is only one of them. Sure, on a glassy surface under identical atmosphereic conditions (laboratory conditions), RPM would be a constant. In racing conditions, however, one is battling currents, wind, and any level of surface chop. Cav peddle postion alone varies my top speed by 8-10 MPH, and you're gonna be using that peddle!
I have a Rex Marine water fed large diameter speedo that you can see while winging along, and they are fairly inexpensive. The hand held GPS CAN be read, but it's hard to see all the time from getting bouced around. You can always go the top drawer way, and buy a large dash-mounted display.
Maybe the way to go is to have the boat not go any faster than 80 so you can't break out, just maintain your speed. Guess that's why Brad won so much last year!..

lilrick
01-17-2007, 08:55 AM
What do you think about upping the limit to 85?
I don't think it will happen. Drivers will still break out though, cuz then they'll say how 'bout 90??

VDRIVERACING
01-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Maybe the way to go is to have the boat not go any faster than 80 so you can't break out, just maintain your speed. Guess that's why Brad won so much last year!..
Apparently this individual took an objective assessment of what he needed to compete in THIS class, and set his boat up accordingly. It's a good example.
There seems to be a resistance to speedos--at least in this thread--that puzzles me. It seems intuitive that if one is trying to win a speed controlled class, they would include a speed indicator among their components. Am I missing some pureist angle here???

Moneypitt
01-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Apparently this individual took an objective assessment of what he needed to compete in THIS class, and set his boat up accordingly. It's a good example.
There seems to be a resistance to speedos--at least in this thread--that puzzles me. It seems intuitive that if one is trying to win a speed controlled class, they would include a speed indicator among their components. Am I missing some pureist angle here???
Brad's sucess was based on not having to look at anything but the water and other competitors. I've ask drivers questions, like, what was the oil pressure, or RPMs, and been told, "I didn't have time to look".........Shit happens so fast out there that just glancing away from the action for a split instant can't be done. The water is always changing and when you put a boat at the edge of control, you better be watching the water...........MP

VDRIVERACING
01-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Brad's sucess was based on not having to look at anything but the water and other competitors. I've ask drivers questions, like, what was the oil pressure, or RPMs, and been told, "I didn't have time to look".........Shit happens so fast out there that just glancing away from the action for a split instant can't be done. The water is always changing and when you put a boat at the edge of control, you better be watching the water...........MP
Yeah..been there too! The more you run these though, you start to know when you can glance over, and that's usually once you have the hull settled down after the turn, you get a reading and hold her steady. It's not like a car where you can watch it all the time, but it's different than an all out race like GN or SS. It's not as hairy in the straights.