PDA

View Full Version : External Hydraulic Steering - Is it worth it?

If You Build It! They Will Come!
08-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Is it worth the upgrade to go with external hydraulic steering? If it is, how big of a bitch is it to install? I have a 450HP setup and the steering gets a bit loose at high speed and trim and I wonder if the hydraulic steering would help the responsiveness. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

djunkie
08-17-2006, 09:14 PM
Get it. You won't regret it.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-17-2006, 09:16 PM
After driving two boats with external steering, I will never own a boat without it.

dicudmore
08-17-2006, 09:19 PM
After driving two boats with external steering, I will never own a boat without it.
what he said...mine is overkill for my boat...dual ram full hydraulic to the helm w/only 525 but wouldn't have it any other way

River918
08-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Probably the best $$$$ I spent when having my boat built. I've never driven a boat with it before I bought the Shockwave, but I would definatley buy it for any one I buy in the future.....If you can afford it, buy it....

Huckleberry
08-18-2006, 09:30 AM
If you have any doubts about installing hydraulic steering try this. When your boat is on the trailer and the outdrive is in the down position, grab it and push it from side to side. You will find it has a fair amount of side-to-side slop. The slopping also takes place while you are driving your boat at speed. As it slops from side to side, it is wearing out your gimbal. You will eventually end up replacing your gimbal, and then you'll put on external hydraulic steering. Save yourself the extra expense of the gimabl and do it now. Oh, and the difference in the steering is night and day!

Dave C
08-18-2006, 10:02 AM
yes. it makes a difference.
but you don't have to get the blinged out twin ram, full hydraulic for your setup. (unless you want to go big on HP at a later date then get the full hydraulic) :crossx:
save some $$'s and get the single ram "add on" system. they are a fraction of the cost of the full hydraulic systems.
go tug on your drive from side to side now. check out all the play in it. :yuk: even a single ram will eliminate this side to side play.

MR HARLEY
08-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Yes. :)

Daytona100
08-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Pretty easy to install, Just double check your measurements have a couple cold beers and start drilling.

andy01
08-18-2006, 10:39 AM
So should I put this type of steering system on my 19' Bayliner with a 4.3 Chevy? Will it make that much difference?
First off what type of boat and second what speeds are you running? Then that will tell you single, dual, or dual full to the helm. And what are your plans for the future?
Andy

onesloryd
08-18-2006, 10:45 AM
It is definitely worth the money, but if you can I afford it go with a full hydraulic setup. I did the external add-on system and it can be PIA around the dock or tight places.
Measure, measure, & measure again. In my case I had to relocate the exhaust to fit everything in correctly.

GoCiggie31
08-18-2006, 10:49 AM
I agree- a must have.
I had an issue with a very loose (worn) setup. At speed >60 my heavy deep v would get really squirley. On mine, I could grab the drives and could feel slop side to side-slightly 1" at prop shaft. So at
I installed the full system w/tilt and never looked back. Was a 8 hr job for me and was a no brainer- measure 3 times/drill once. :rollside:
I rationalized to the wife that it was mainly a safety factory but I am sure it will help in resale and plus the high quality machine work and components is impressive.The amount of rigidity the system offered was a selling factor for me to reduce wear on the gimble assembly.
There are some great deals out there and great systems
MM,IMCO,Ziegler and more.
- I went with the full imco.
Good luck
my .02

superdave013
08-18-2006, 11:15 AM
So should I put this type of steering system on my 19' Bayliner with a 4.3 Chevy? Will it make that much difference?
Andy
yes, it's worth at least 5 mph. ;) :D

u4ea32
08-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Its sweet. I have zero problems with mine.
32 Fountain, Twin 385HP 7.4 Mercruiser, Latham (Fountain logo) steering.
Bob Teague has driven more boats than probably anyone alive,
and he makes a big deal over full hydraulic systems frequently
in his boat tests.

Dave C
08-18-2006, 12:14 PM
some guy who really knows his stuff once told me to put through transom exhaust... good for an extra couple of MPH... ;) :rollside: :rollside: :p
Andy

SUBPRIME
08-18-2006, 12:48 PM
people that have tried the add-on hydraulic steering packages...
recomendations based on quality and price??

VanDeano
08-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Anyone have any ballpark prices $$$$

No Name
08-18-2006, 02:27 PM
I had the single ram Imco installed when I bought the boat I have now and it was much better then my old boat that didn’t have it. Shortly after I added the full hydraulic with tilt helm and what a difference. Any performance boat I have from here on out will have full hydraulic steering. And it's easy to install if you have some mechanical ability.
Link to Imco.
http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/steeringsingle.html

BADBLOWN572
08-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Hydraulic is the only way to go. I personally don't like the Imco setup. I have had a couple of problems with them in the past. The way to go is through WPM Racing. All of their hardware is top of the line. Depending on what you want, you could go from about $1800-4500 depending on how trick you want to go.
I personally think that the full hydraulic to the helm is the way to go. If you go single or dual assisted, you still have the cable in it and the Brazil valve. The cable activates the rams. That right there makes the wheel slightly sloppy. If you go full hydraulic to the helm, it is extremely tight and turns easier than any assisted steering that I have seen. I honestly would put it on a boat with a 496 just because it is so smooth and nice. Don't think I would own any type of performance boat without it.

Raylar
08-19-2006, 07:09 AM
A minimum of a single ram hydraulic steering is a must on any perfromance boat that starts going over 60mph! It a saftey issue if nothing else. The standard Bravo tiller connection arm is about the thickness of your first finger and if it snaps at speed,as some do the results of a instant hard right or left can be disasterous, Get it! Mayfair steering makes a single cylinder assist external steering upgrade that I beleive is under $1200. Pretty cheap insurance here!
Ray @ Raylar

cc322
08-19-2006, 07:43 AM
This whole thread has got me curious. :idea: