PDA

View Full Version : Trailer flats

Mandella69
08-17-2006, 09:38 PM
I have a curious question about flat tires on dual axel trailers. If one of the four tires goes flat while towing, what are the effects? Is it immediately noticeable to the driver. How does the trailer react? If you did not have a spare, is it possible to remove the other tire on the the same axel and then tow as a single axel? If so, I would assume that the single axel would have to be the rear one due to the weight of the motor in the boat. I am referring to a flatbottom on a trailer. I have never experienced a flat while towing, but have always wondered.
Thanks

YeLLowBoaT
08-17-2006, 09:45 PM
If you don't know you have a flat on a trailer... the driver of the truck needs wake up. Too get home/tire shop you can take some chain and lash that side of the axle the to frame of the trailer. You just take a jack place it under the axle and jack it up until you start to lift the trailer. then lash it good and tight with the chain. Doing this; however, will tilt the axle so that the tire on the other side will not ride flat. This alone can cause the other tire to wear faster/ blow out/ go flat if not fixed asap. Also if your tire rating( or thier condtion) is riding close to the over loading point with 4 tires with 3 tires now on the ground you are just asking for it. Which is the main reason why you want to tow as short of distance and as slow as you can.

Outnumbered
08-17-2006, 09:49 PM
I have had them blow out and it vibrates bad. Other times just a slight vibration. One time I lost one and I thought I hit something it was a sharp jolt. Never did I get swayed or go off track. As far as towing without one tire--you can strap the axel up to the trailer frame and get to the next safe stop. I have never done this but carry heavy die-down staps just in case. If you don't strap or chain it up it will drag on the ground.

victorfb
08-17-2006, 09:52 PM
more noticable is the noise that it will make, but it will also give the trailer a rough ride and you will most likely feel it through the tow vehicle. yes you can try and remove the flat tire and wheel from the trailer and continue to the nearest repair facility, BUT you should try and limit the travel for the axle and hub by wrapping a chain or some other type of limiting strap to keep the axle hub from hitting the pavement. i normally carry a small stretch of chain just for this reason. make sure you also have a way to secure the chain. a lock, a add-a-link, ect. if you dont have a jack to help raise the axle you can search the surounding area for rock, wood, basically anything to roll up onto which will raise that axle so you can install the chain around the axle and crossmember. this will get you down the road, but dont try it for too long. also the rock or debrit will help you change the tire if you happen to have a spare tire and no jack. just ride onto the rock with the good tire and the flat should lift enough to remove the bad and install the spare.

victorfb
08-17-2006, 09:56 PM
BTW- there are some perfect rocks on the side of the I15 just shy of the 40. trust me on this one. :)

RitcheyRch
08-18-2006, 04:09 AM
Best to have a spare tire.

Havasu Hangin'
08-18-2006, 05:22 AM
I usually hear it trying to tear the damn fender off.

rivercrazy
08-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Most of the time, if the front tire on the trailer blows, it will blow the one right behind it!
No matter which tire blows, it usually bends the crap out of the fender.
I've blown two trailer tires over the past 20 years. It was VERY noticable both times.

hairysituation
08-18-2006, 03:58 PM
I had 2 blow,one front driver and one rear passenger.No need for chain just a jack and a 4 inch piece of a 2x4, jack up the axle next to the blown tire and place the wood between the spring shackle and the frame then let the jack down. It will keep the axle up. Made it home but if another one blew I was leaving it there on the highway.(Bad wheel bearings) :rollside:

LUVNLIFE
08-18-2006, 06:33 PM
What about torsion axles. Is there a way to limp along till you can get the tire fixed?

YeLLowBoaT
08-18-2006, 06:35 PM
you just chain the torsion arm up.

Jordy
08-19-2006, 12:05 AM
you just chain the torsion arm up.
Why not just pull the wheel and what's left of the tire off? The front/back/other torsions will hold the weight. No need to chain. ;)

Flip
08-19-2006, 12:49 AM
Last year I had 3 tires blow about half way home from Laughlin to Orange County about 10 miles apart from each other. Left front went first so I put the spare on. Then the other two on the other side went. So I put the left rear on the right front. I went from just past Ludlow to Barstow this way. Then in Barstow I couldn't find anyone who would sell me regular car tires when they saw I had the trailer and no one carried trailer tires in stock. I ended up just sayin F it and drove home that way. The rear hubs never even touched the ground.
Just a little lesson here. Even if you've got plenty of tread on those olds tires, be sure to replace them after a few years. :idea:

pixrthis
08-19-2006, 07:46 AM
If you chain one axle up, you might have to put a block of wood between the other axle and the trailer becuase sometimes the springs wont keep the tires out of the fenders by themselves. I learned this first hand.