PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory boating course for CA.

HCS
08-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Saw it on the news this morning.
The Calif. Legislature is discussing the thought right now. Pending writing the language and putting it up for a vote we'll all have to be certified.
Might as well do it now. Study up!

Throttle
08-18-2006, 12:14 PM
glad i moved to az

DMOORE
08-18-2006, 12:19 PM
I hope not. It will be just one more way for the A-HOLEs in Sacramento to suck money from our pockets. And no I don't believe it will make a difference in the accident rate. Just take a look of all the "LICENSED" drivers next to you on the way home. People that are A-holes, are going to be, regardless of having a piece of paper in thier wallet or not.
Darrell.

Havasu Lite
08-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Stupid. Alot of people took automobile driving classes and the idiots still drive like shiot. Drunkdrivers, talking on the phone, Cut n' me off, drive too fast... kinda like all the idiots on the road. I would have to say I see more idiots on the road than I do on the lake.
Boat driving courses wont help comon sense.

OldYeller
08-18-2006, 12:24 PM
There are a lot of idiot boat drivers out there, but I dont think that certification will change that. Unfortunately I fear that it will pass. Seems to be a going trend lately, throwing away our liberty for a false sence of security.

HCS
08-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Found the story.
http://www.kcra.com/news/9696756/detail.html

NautiTwins
08-18-2006, 12:42 PM
I would vote yes for that in a heartbeat.

roostwear
08-18-2006, 12:45 PM
I have no doubt that the legislature will fock this up as they do everything else.

OldYeller
08-18-2006, 12:50 PM
I would vote yes for that in a heartbeat.
I rest my case.

YeLLowBoaT
08-18-2006, 12:52 PM
I agree that its a good idea, I think the way it will be implamented with fook it up.
If they really want to make the water ways safer. Ban booze on the water ways. RD b4 you get your yourself all worked up. The State of CA can do what ever it wants with water ways it owns/controls/ is resposible for. Boating is a privlage not a right.

Jyruiz
08-18-2006, 12:57 PM
I think this will give a lot of people a false sense of security. They will think that just because they passed, they can do anything and make them think they are know it alls. Lord help us.

NautiTwins
08-18-2006, 01:00 PM
I rest my case.
LOL. I to would like to know that we would not ahve to follow through with this. But you being from NACI have seen the best of the best an a Sat afternoon near the launch ramp. A simple education and driving course would suit me just fine. If it makes the day at the lake safer for my family I am all about it.

OldYeller
08-18-2006, 01:03 PM
If they really want to make the water ways safer. Ban booze on the water ways. RD b4 you get your yourself all worked up. The State of CA can do what ever it wants with water ways it owns/controls/ is resposible for. Boating is a privlage not a right.[/QUOTE]
When will walking down the street become a privlage not a right???????

NorCalCat
08-18-2006, 01:04 PM
glad i moved to az
Are you kidding me? You can move but you can not run form the idiots. I have been boating all my life, it should not be an issue passing. If you have issues passing, maybe you shouldn't be on the water. I think that is the idea!
Just because one has the dipsosable income to buy a boat, be it a Costco Cruiser (Bayliner), or a NorTech, they all can kill.
I think it sucks, but it has gotten way out of control. All I hear about is another death on the water in Havasu. There seems to be a similarity between Rice Rd & Lake Havasu.
Just my $.02

NorCalCat
08-18-2006, 01:07 PM
I think this will give a lot of people a false sense of security. They will think that just because they passed, they can do anything and make them think they are know it alls. Lord help us.
What is this, "false sense of security"? What kind of security do you have now? Some jack ass comes into the dock too hot and rams your boat or jumps onthe throttles when a skier is in the water and cuts her arm off because the rope wasn't clear. I hope this will help eliminate some of the "basic" errors in boating.
We have to make it better. It is out of control.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-18-2006, 01:07 PM
I want to know how many people they are going to hire at the DMV to administer the tests/ courses when when 100s of thousands of CURRENT boaters need their license before the regulation begins. Are they really able to license that many boaters in . . . sya 6 months or a year? I don't think so. I am definitly for testing or a class if necessary, but the logistics of it are going to be tricky and I don't think our cluster f*** at Sacramento can handle it.
Whatever it takes to get the one time PWC rental folks off the water. They scare the crap out of me.

Jyruiz
08-18-2006, 01:09 PM
What is this, "false sense of security"? What kind of security do you have now? Some jack ass comes into the dock too hot and rams your boat or jumps onthe throttles when a skier is in the water and cuts her arm off because the rope wasn't clear. I hope this will help eliminate some of the "basic" errors in boating.
We have to make it better. It is out of control.
I am sure it will help some people, but look at all the idiots with a DL on the roads now a days.

OldYeller
08-18-2006, 01:14 PM
I agree that there are alot of idiots out there. I also agree that if you have a least a little common sense, passing the test would be easy. I just dont like having another "law" thown my way every time I turn around.

NorCalCat
08-18-2006, 01:18 PM
I am sure it will help some people, but look at all the idiots with a DL on the roads now a days.
I agree. But this is a fun, suppose to be safe, clean family hobbie. All we can do is try.
I was out on the water for my maidan voyage about 4 years ago, I am tied up to a dock and some jackel comes up in a Fountain 42. He tries to slip inbetween my boat and another. I didn't have time to run down to the dock. This guy was about 6'8" 300 lbs. Football player for the Raiders. Put it this way, I almost got may arss beat up. He had NO CLUE what he was doing. This is just one example of the morons on the water.

OldYeller
08-18-2006, 01:22 PM
I guess that my next question would be: Is it going to be a written test? If so, I dont see how thats going to help people learn to manuever their boats safely. Is there going to be a "driving" test? Different classifications? Or can you test in a 18' bayliner, then go buy a 38 Skater and think that you are qualified? The number one problem I usually see out on the water is people turning their boat (or PWC!!!!!) without taking the effort to turn their head first to see if its clear!!!! Is this classification going to somehow miraculously cause people to look before turning. Man if it would do that, GREAT -- I am all for it!

Havasu Luvr
08-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Hmmm? How will they handle out-of-state poeple entering this state for a vacation in tow is their 21' boat to boat lake Shasta or Elsinore etc. Maybe they will have to purchase a day use permit with a 8 hours CRASH course? I still believe the School of Hard KNocks is one of the biggest answers, hit us in the pocket book were we learn best. Pamphlets at the launch ramp is not the answer nor is LEO walking around approaching every boat to personlly educate each operator. Lic? Classes? It is a start but how to admin this regulation? Better yet maybe there should be a Nation program for lic vessel operators

Parker Dreamin
08-18-2006, 01:29 PM
every little bit can and should help...... if it only saved 1 life, to me that would be worth it.......

Havasu Luvr
08-18-2006, 01:33 PM
I guess that my next question would be: Is it going to be a written test? If so, I dont see how thats going to help people learn to manuever their boats safely. Is there going to be a "driving" test? Different classifications? Or can you test in a 18' bayliner, then go buy a 38 Skater and think that you are qualified? The number one problem I usually see out on the water is people turning their boat (or PWC!!!!!) without taking the effort to turn their head first to see if its clear!!!! Is this classification going to somehow miraculously cause people to look before turning. Man if it would do that, GREAT -- I am all for it!
I agree, to many variables. A great concept but would take to much to regulate and implement but it is a start :boxed:

Havasu Luvr
08-18-2006, 01:35 PM
every little bit can and should help...... if it only saved 1 life, to me that would be worth it.......
Another Great concept but not realistic. If this was the case then we should NOT serve alcohol in resturants and bars.... :cool:

HM
08-18-2006, 01:38 PM
***boat did an article on this issue, and what they failed to pull from the statistics is that people who have taken voluntary boating courses have a higher accident rate than people who have not taken a boating course.

HCS
08-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Here I'll burn the artical. That way when the link goes away it'll still be here.
Safety Advocates Urge Boat License Requirement
Plan Would Need Approval From Legislature.
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A plan is in the works to make it a state law for boaters to take a safety course and receive certification before they hit the water.
"If you've ever been out on the waters, you can see some really bonehead stunts being pulled by people," said Raynor Tsuneyoshi, director of the Department of Boating and Waterways.
Advocates met Thursday in Sacramento to discuss creating a mandatory license of anyone operating a boat in California. Such a statewide plan would need approval from the Legislature.
"It would require that whoever wants to operate a boat in the state of California would need to take some kind of an educational course and then take a test to show his or her competency," Tsuneyoshi said.
Officials said there are 50-60 deaths a year reported from about 300 boating accidents in California.
Many boaters at the marina at Discovery Park in Sacramento said such a course would be a good idea.
"I've seen a lot of calls," said boat captain Bob Sparre.
Officials reported that 42 states already require some sort of certification to operate a boat.
As it stands now, anyone can buy a boat and then head out on the water with no previous experience.
"It's a lot more dangerous than driving on the road in some ways, so I think it requires extra special attention to safety," said boater Jeff Hart.

77charger
08-18-2006, 02:08 PM
when you get a dui on the water in az you are required to go to boater safety course.So i have that taken care of now plus my insurance on boat went down.

RitcheyRch
08-18-2006, 02:11 PM
So true. The intentions are good but the state attorneys will fock it all up.
I have no doubt that the legislature will fock this up as they do everything else.

OldYeller
08-18-2006, 02:21 PM
I have no doubt about that.

Boatcop
08-18-2006, 02:27 PM
***boat did an article on this issue, and what they failed to pull from the statistics is that people who have taken voluntary boating courses have a higher accident rate than people who have not taken a boating course.
I don't know where this came from, but people who have not taken any formal Boating instruction/Safety Course account for 70% of fatal accidents and 75% of all accidents. USCG Statistics-2004 (latest year all figures are available)
Just knowing the basics of Navigation Rules will cut boating collisions by more than 1/2.
There will always be the idiot factor, but everywhere mandatory education has been implemented, the boating accident rate has decreased substantially.
This should not (notice I said SHOULD NOT) create any further financial burden on the boater, since the classes offered now are fully funded by Federal and State sources. The mechanism for the classes are already in place. Funding, locations, instructors, supplies, etc. are already here.
You want my advice?
Well. I'm going to give it to you anyway.
Take a class NOW, while space is readily available. Because once laws like these are passed, there are usually long waiting lists to get a seat.
Like most, I am not in favor of licensing. All that does is throw another level of bureaucracy into the mix. Proof of attendance/successful completion of an approved course should be sufficient.
BTW. We're putting on a class tomorrow. We have about 20 people who've signed up and shown an interest in going.
My bet is that about 5 or 6 will show up.

RitcheyRch
08-18-2006, 02:33 PM
How do you go about finding a course in your area?
I don't know where this came from, but people who have not taken any formal Boating instruction/Safety Course account for 70% of fatal accidents and 75% of all accidents. USCG Statistics-2004 (latest year all figures are available)
Just knowing the basics of Navigation Rules will cut boating collisions by more than 1/2.
There will always be the idiot factor, but everywhere mandatory education has been implemented, the boating accident rate has decreased substantially.
This should not (notice I said SHOULD NOT) create any further financial burden on the boater, since the classes offered now are fully funded by Federal and State sources. The mechanism for the classes are already in place. Funding, locations, instructors, supplies, etc. are already here.
You want my advice?
Take a class NOW, while space is readily available. Because once laws like these are passed, there are usually long waiting lists to get a seat.
Like most, I am not in favor of licensing. All that does is throw another level of bureaucracy into the mix. Proof of attendance/successful completion of an approved course should be sufficient.
BTW. We're putting on a class tomorrow. We have about 20 people who've signed up and shown an interest in going.

HCS
08-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Boatcop,
Right now you can get certified by mail or online in California.
Are you saying that most likely people will have to participate in a sit down class room to get certified?

RitcheyRch
08-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Thinking the class room setting might be a good alternative.
Right now you can get certified by mail or online in California.
Are you saying that most likely people will have to participate in a sit down class room to get certified?

spectras only
08-18-2006, 02:50 PM
I have my license for years , so has my son. One shot deal .Licensing is carved in stone in canada by 2009 , so why wait for the last minute ? The reason for licensing is to be able to hold idiots accountable for their actions . My friend just got a new 4 stroke PWC that has over 200 HP . Would you want to see a teenager under 16 driving one without training & license ?Both, 40 foot offshore boat or PWC can cause collateral damage .

Tequila-John
08-18-2006, 02:51 PM
i think its a great idea...

RitcheyRch
08-18-2006, 03:01 PM
I'd be interested in taking one of the classroom courses to refresh my memory with some of the laws. I took one of those motorcycle riders courses a few years back. Actually learned quite a bit of info from it.

Tequila-John
08-18-2006, 03:03 PM
I'd be interested in taking one of the classroom courses to refresh my memory with some of the laws. I took one of those motorcycle riders courses a few years back. Actually learned quite a bit of info from it.
Great idea bud... Way to go

RitcheyRch
08-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks. Now need to find a course locally.
Great idea bud... Way to go

Tequila-John
08-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks. Now need to find a course locally.
Please let me know your findings....

RitcheyRch
08-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Will do.
Please let me know your findings....

Tequila-John
08-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Will do.
Promiss?

Jyruiz
08-18-2006, 03:29 PM
I am going to this one in Nov.
http://www.tresrios-usps.org/classes.htm

RitcheyRch
08-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Of course. Been checking the DMV website but so far doesnt look like any courses in So. Cal.
Promiss?

RitcheyRch
08-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Very cool. How did you find it?
I am going to this one in Nov.
http://www.tresrios-usps.org/classes.htm

Jyruiz
08-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Very cool. How did you find it?
I did a search on Yahoo, it was hard man, let me tell ya. :p

RitcheyRch
08-18-2006, 03:36 PM
I found a few but none in or near my area. :mad:
I did a search on Yahoo, it was hard man, let me tell ya. :p

502 JET
08-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Here in NJ every boater will be required to possess a boating safety certificate by 2009.I got mine 2 weeks ago.I took a 6hr.($65.) course with a 50 question exam at the end.Most states will be adopting the same legislation.
Take a look at CA Boating Laws (http://www.dbw.ca.gov/index.htm)
Search around this site for course info.
Some states even accept an online course just make sure your state does before you go through the trouble.

Boatcop
08-18-2006, 03:59 PM
How do you go about finding a course in your area?
Check the sticky thread in Hot Spots West:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57686

RitcheyRch
08-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Darn, was right in front of my face. Thanks again BoatCop.
Check the sticky thread in Hot Spots West:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57686

Tequila-John
08-18-2006, 06:00 PM
I found a few but none in or near my area. :mad:
nice work bud

Parker Dreamin
08-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Another Great concept but not realistic. If this was the case then we should NOT serve alcohol in resturants and bars.... :cool:
please tell me how this relates ?
Education is much different then drinking alcohol I think......

AirtimeLavey
08-18-2006, 06:10 PM
I can't see how this could hurt, other than the nuisance of getting it done. The more information anyone has on anything, the better off they are. Most people that are not familiar with boating, are always surprised to hear that you don't need a license to operate one.
I have a friend who after one trip in my boat, has gone out and bought 2 boats - a jet and a Yamaha twin jet. He also bought wave-runners. When he told me, I gave him a sheet of info to help him out. A little bit about insurance, C.G. regs., tips on where to boat (with those type of boats), things he needs to have on the boat, things that are helpful to have, etc. Otherwise, he'd a been out there winging it. It's scary to think about, for his safety, and the others he may encounter. I told him a little about driving in big chop conditions, etc.
A little education goes a long way. I'm all for it. Not sure how it would take away anyone's freedom(s), unless they're just too inept to pass the course.

3 daytona`s
08-18-2006, 06:12 PM
You want my advice?
Boatcop,I have always been a fan of license but this is very good.Take the course pass the required things have documentation.I would love to have everyone on here without any text book to study take a written,driving and BACKING BOAT DOWN RAMP test and I`m confident we would have a massive failure rate.

OCMerrill
08-18-2006, 07:10 PM
I like the idea and would support it but...
Our gov. usually package this kind of legislation grouped with other things they really want like a raise for themselves for example. This is how stuff gets through without being very well thought out. It will be a mediocre attempt and require major funding and bureaucratic crap to fix it over years to come. :messedup: A freindly politician says "hey look its just a little class, small test, and a little photo ID. Isn't it cute?" that will translate in to every local governments problem and cost $$.
Where does it stop? Another thing to pay for?
There are allot of injuries out in the dunes and off road in general? Is this next?
Who is going to police it? Show proof upon boat registration yearly?
Licensed peeps might over medicate now and then and need a driver. How will this be handled?
I don't see this being very easy to implament.
Now make "Launch Ramp technique" part of the std. DL test. That I like.

Havasu Luvr
08-18-2006, 07:12 PM
please tell me how this relates ?
Education is much different then drinking alcohol I think......
If NOT serving drinks and it saves 1 life then it would be worth it.... isn't drunk driving the #1 cause of fatalities on our roads?

Parker Dreamin
08-18-2006, 07:16 PM
If NOT serving drinks and it saves 1 life then it would be worth it.... it's drunk driving the #1 cause of fatalities on our roads?
the law says to not be over .08, you get a DUI or a BUI...what is one of the things they do if busted for being over it? EDUCATION.......that education then saves a life or two I bet
so if they can educate some with basic boating skills and it saves a life then I am all for it.
but you are correct, one less drink served will save a life...so remember that next time you are ordering a drink......cause I will.

YeLLowBoaT
08-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Some thing to think about... if you make being able to back up a trailer part of it. You will 1) have to have a dl 2) make alot of boaters that don't have "trailer" boats mad.
If it goes thru dmv. I hope the same ppl that write thier writen drive don't write the one for boating. Those things are a joke. They are not "hard" per say, but the way they have some of the Qs worded... Also they have Qs about what you should do when______, that if you did that on the street would get you in a wreck.
I know chp officers that have missed Qs.

Boatcop
08-18-2006, 07:29 PM
These courses probably won't include any driving skills, backing, etc, other than safety issues, such as chains, proper hitch/ball size. They aslo show basics on boat handling, such as heading into a dock with/against the wind/current. etc.
There won't be any type of "Driving Test", like we took with an examiner when we got our driver's license.
It will be all classroom, with emphasis on equipment, basic navigation rules, lights. etc. Essentially what we teach now.
With the hundreds of boat types, hulls, lengths, propulsion, etc. It would be impractical to train every driver on their exact boat, so the emphasis will be on basic boating knowledge, rather than hands on instruction.

ratso
08-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Hands on would be :D good for the "How To Properly Apply Pasties" part of the course...

HCS
08-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Ok. Now we need trailer backing courses and boat hook up and removal.
I see where this is going. :rolleyes: :rollside:

Parker Dreamin
08-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Ok. Now we need trailer backing courses and boat hook up and removal.
I see where this is going. :rolleyes: :rollside:
the more training the better.....
Education never hurt anybody....

HCS
08-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Hands on would be :D good for the "How To Properly Apply Pasties" part of the course...
You got it! If your pasties arn't on right, get out!

Tequila-John
08-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Well said my TB

Parker Dreamin
08-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Well said my TB
a spade is a spade......
ha f-en ding....
must be an ERIN

Tequila-John
08-18-2006, 08:20 PM
a spade is a spade......
ha f-en ding....
must be an ERIN
Very Possible bud....

HCS
08-18-2006, 08:22 PM
I don't have a problem at all with the courses. I always keep up to speed.
When you make something mandatory that could be better for all of us, I'm suprised at the oppostion.
Besides the fact that the bureaucracy could screw it all up.
Note:
Giants are beating LA!!!!

Parker Dreamin
08-18-2006, 08:26 PM
I don't have a problem at all with the courses. I always keep up to speed.
When you make something mandatory that could be better for all of us, I'm suprised at the oppostion.
Besides the fact that the bureaucracy could screw it all up.
Note:
Giants are beating LA!!!!
NY Giants are not playing, plus LA does not have a football team.......

No Name
08-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Just wanted to get in the 69th post. I’ve always liked that position, I mean number. :)

Parker Dreamin
08-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Just wanted to get in the 69th post. I’ve always liked that position, I mean number. :)
way hot.... that is so cool....... any pics ? yes I have been drinking and am a perv....

HCS
08-18-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm going for a shot.
Tequila.

Parker Dreamin
08-18-2006, 08:34 PM
I'm going for a shot.
Tequila.
Tequila john is not even having one..... pusy...

HCS
08-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Did I invite him...or you! :p

Tequila-John
08-18-2006, 08:36 PM
I am watching my calories bud!! HA DING!

HCS
08-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Hung low. :D

Parker Dreamin
08-18-2006, 08:38 PM
vodka and soda... home run right there bud....... :crossx:

HCS
08-18-2006, 08:43 PM
7 to 3 Giants.
Those people in the Bay better be certified.

No Name
08-18-2006, 08:46 PM
yes I have been drinking and am a perv....
We all are. :D :D

HCS
08-18-2006, 08:48 PM
We all are. :D :D
Are you talking to a male or female?

Parker Dreamin
08-18-2006, 08:48 PM
7 to 3 Giants.
Those people in the Bay better be certified.
who scored the touchdown and who kick the field goal ? ha ding

HCS
08-18-2006, 08:50 PM
who scored the touchdown and who kick the field goal ? ha ding
I'm going to do NFL picks again. Jump in!

Parker Dreamin
08-18-2006, 08:50 PM
have seen the pics..and the female is god friggen hot........

Tequila-John
08-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Where at bud?

No Name
08-18-2006, 09:02 PM
I’m going with male and female on that one. :)

Parker Dreamin
08-18-2006, 09:07 PM
for sure.... i like to win

DAVEO
08-19-2006, 09:04 AM
I have been waiting for this. Im all for a boating course. It will hold more people acountalbe for there actions. Im not happy about it but it should give more of the newbe boaters the rule of the water. If you ask 100 people if they know the rulls of boating most will say yes but take a test and most will fail. It will not stop the a hole from being a holes but they might think twice before cutting in front of someone. Just my 2 cents.
Hay Eric, thanks for premoting the sale of the costco cruser.