PDA

View Full Version : Bottom questions

GREENLEAF13
08-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Heres some pics of the bottom of my 18' rogers i'm restoring. What do you guys think of this set up, is it stock? Looks like its been flattened before the intake, set back, and the whole pump has been moved up in the front. I can see the advantages to this in rough water to keep the pump loaded, but seems awful agressive for "normal" use. Boat is now flipped to repaint the bottom and reseal the pump and fin got all sorts of crappy sealer around them.

GREENLEAF13
08-18-2006, 01:53 PM
A few more pics, last few are after or during repairs.

RCB19
08-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Looks like somebody attempted to install a flat intake into a rounded keel bottom. I can't see any advantage to this unless the boat was at one time used for circle racing and there is an advantage to this for that purpose. I know nothing about circle boat setups. Whoever did the install was deffinitely a hacker though. Good luck with it.

Cs19
08-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Someone got carried away with the grinder..Hard to tell whats up from the pics but I think Im with RCB only it appears they might have ground down the keel to make it flat..Why someone would do that..I dont know.Maybe they thought a delta bottom would be the hot set up..

victorfb
08-18-2006, 08:21 PM
my rogers 18 has a flat area infront of the intake aswell.basically from the intake to about half way to the turning fin. from the pics it looks as if yours had the same flat area but when they set the pump back further they had to extend the flat area to the intake which created a longer flat. make sense? anyhow, my rogers was built originally as a center steer circle boat and has the fin aswell. but my intake was also angled 2 degrees further down. or mabe just a differnat intake housing because if you look at the transum the bolts for the adapter are now about an inch lower than before. have you run the boat before? i love the way mine handles and acts so i am keeping the flat surface. it does 81.3mph at 5100 rpm with an A/B cut. so basically the pump seems to really be acting efficient. is it because the flat area? dont know. id say clean it up a bit and run it.

GREENLEAF13
08-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I have not run this boat yet so i dont know how this set up will work, engine is being rebuilt while i am doing repaint. (had a rod knock when i bought it). I just thought I'd post some pics while it was flipped, its definitly alot different from my previous boat which was the same on the bottom as most every other jet. It was originally a center steer circle boat. I wonder did all 18' rogers have this flat keel before the intake or was it a popular circle race mod??? Anyway i just finished priming the repaired and resealed hull and pump, will post pics tommorrow.

MikeF
08-20-2006, 08:07 PM
You'll likely be ok w/ the way it is. I do not believe it is a modification in your hull itself. That would be quite a bit of grinding. It is probably out of the same mold that VicB's is.
Most Rogers that I have seen run, always run w/ a bow high attitude. That is a cause of the way the bottom is designed. They have always been known as a stable hull for how small it really is. It is definatley a good hull to start with. :cool: