PDA

View Full Version : Need Hawaii Big Island help....

Cruzzze
08-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Going to Maui in Sept but wanna go island hopping, never been to the Big Island, where should we fly into? And what should we see? Thanx

Tremor Girl
08-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Fly into Kona. Go down to the pier and watch them bring in the big Marlin, drive up through the Parker Ranch ( worlds largest working cattle ranch) drop down into Hilo and then head onto Volcano National Park. Also, go up and see the big Resorts at the North? end of the island.

It's all Good
08-18-2006, 02:32 PM
I prefer to fly into Kona.
Many nice places to stay. Mauna Kea (old school) and Hapuna Beach Hotel are nice. The Fairmont Orchid is very popular right now.
Great dining. Merriman's Restaurant (http://www.merrimanshawaii.com/) is a must.

imbndvs
08-18-2006, 03:02 PM
I agree, fly into Kona. We stay at the Four Seasons and really enjoy it. The downstair rooms have outdoor showers that are incredible. The town of Kona always has a lot going on with plenty of bars and restruants with great ocean / sunset views. Take a drive around the island and check out the coffee farms and if you like hiking, go to the end of Chain of Craters Rd. and hike over to see the lava enter the ocean. (4 miles in and 4 miles out) The hike is over uneven lave so wear good shoes. Most spetacular time is at night. It is an incredible sight to see the earth forming right before your eyes! We will be back on the Big Island in Feb and always have a great time there.

Tequila-John
08-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Flying to Kona is the only way. Please say Hi the "The Dog: for me thanks

imbndvs
08-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Also, check out Punalu'u Black Sand Beach and on your drive, go down to South Point. You go to the end of a dirt road to the waters edge and that is the most southern point in the U.S. In the town there is a bar called Shakas, which is the farthest point in the U.S. that you can have a drink.