PDA

View Full Version : Kill Switch/Lanyard????

No Name
08-18-2006, 03:00 PM
How many of you here use your lanyard kill switch?
If you do, what reminds you to use it and how do you hook it to yourself?

Tequila-John
08-18-2006, 03:04 PM
After that big Cat crash last year in Parker i swore i would wear mine. I keep forgetting.

RitcheyRch
08-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Just was talking about this last week with a few co-workers that boat. Thinking will start wearing and using it.

Tequila-John
08-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Just was talking about this last week with a few co-workers that boat. Thinking will start wearing and using it.
Good idea bud. I see mine just sitting there. I need to strap it on

RitcheyRch
08-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Most likely wont even know its on until you try to get out of the boat.
Good idea bud. I see mine just sitting there. I need to strap it on

Tequila-John
08-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Most likely wont even know its on until you try to get out of the boat.
Very true. Its a very pretty red. :)

Jyruiz
08-18-2006, 03:14 PM
My boat doesn't even have that.

Tequila-John
08-18-2006, 03:15 PM
My boat doesn't even have that.
Figures,,,Please be safe out there.

Jyruiz
08-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Figures,,,Please be safe out there.
Lol, don't worry, nobody is more careful than me.

No Name
08-18-2006, 03:18 PM
I have been thinking about this myself and plan to start using it next time I‘m out. My boat only runs very low 70”s :cry: but if I was thrown out I would hate to see it crash into someone and hurt people.
Now if it slammed into the shore and exploded that would be cool. :D

HMF'er
08-18-2006, 03:28 PM
I have been thinking about this myself and plan to start using it next time I‘m out. My boat only runs very low 70”s :cry: but if I was thrown out I would hate to see it crash into someone and hurt people.
You should use your lanyard. As a matter of fact, you should also wear a vest and helmet.

Jordy
08-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Let me know when you're going to attempt that because I want to film it!!! :D :D :D

blown dough
08-18-2006, 03:31 PM
My hubby wears his everytime, its hooked to his upper arm.

No Name
08-18-2006, 03:31 PM
You should use your lanyard. As a matter of fact, you should also wear a vest and helmet.
Alex, you're a funny guy. :rolleyes: :D

No Name
08-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Let me know when you're going to attempt that because I want to film it!!! :D :D :D
And I’ll make sure I put the Kachina emblems back on before I do it. :D
Wouldn’t have to worry about selling it anymore. :idea:

Jordy
08-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Wouldn’t have to worry about selling it anymore. :idea:
I've got great insurance on the Spectre too. Maybe I'll put some Kachina logos on it and shore it too!!! :idea: :D

LaveyOne
08-18-2006, 03:40 PM
We've attached a velcro-style wrist leash (similar to one from a Boogie Board) to the lanyard, then keep that around the throttle.
Definitely a helpful reminder !!! :)

John.
08-18-2006, 03:42 PM
I usually hook my lanyard to the loop thing in the pocket of my board shorts. what else is that loop thing there for?

'78 gt boat
08-18-2006, 03:48 PM
How hard do you think it would be to put one in an old '77 spectra? It seems to me it would be a good idea :p

No Name
08-18-2006, 03:51 PM
We've attached a velcro-style wrist leash (similar to one from a Boogie Board) to the lanyard, then keep that around the throttle.
Definitely a helpful reminder !!! :)
Excellent idea, that’s what I was looking for. :)
Good idea on the board shorts as well but most of my shorts don’t have a loop. :mad:

Beer-30
08-18-2006, 03:58 PM
I usually hook my lanyard to the loop thing in the pocket of my board shorts. what else is that loop thing there for?
I do that too. I just have to figure out another way. None of the bars will serve me until I go back out, unhook my shorts, and put them back on. :cool:

No Name
08-18-2006, 04:03 PM
How hard do you think it would be to put one in an old '77 spectra? It seems to me it would be a good idea :p
Very simple, two wires.
http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=3947

Huckleberry
08-18-2006, 04:25 PM
I use mine religiously! I cannot even fathom my boat running down the lake at 120 MPH with no one in it to shut down the engines. I hook it around my right leg, and move it up to my knee area. This way I can still stand up and it won't pull the switch, and God forbid I get launched from the boat, it will not just slip off my ankle. Cheap easy insurance to prevent what could be a catastrophe.

Boatcop
08-18-2006, 04:37 PM
There's a new wireless switch available. You're not tethered to the boat, so you can get up and walk around, even go on shore or a dock. But if you go overboard and become submerged, an alarm will sound and it'll kill the engines.
http://www.wirelesslanyard.com/about.htm
Probably pricey, but beats tripping the engines off every time you move or stand up.

RitcheyRch
08-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Awesome. Going to look into that. Thanks, BoatCop.
There's a new wireless switch available. You're not tethered to the boat, so you can get up and walk around, even go on shore or a dock. But if you go overboard and become submerged, an alarm will sound and it'll kill the engines.
Probably pricey, but beats tripping the engines off every time you move or stand up.

Boatcop
08-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Awesome. Going to look into that. Thanks, BoatCop.
Found more info. This is the one I originally had in mind.
http://www.maritechsafety.com/main.php?p=vl
This one comes with 4 sensors, so you can outfit passengers with them, too. It works on distance, rather than submersion, and has a "resuce" mode, so someone can maneuver the boat to pick up the perrson in the water.
I'm planning on equipping our new patrol boats with these.
Like I said. Kinda pricey ($550). Some people pay 4 times that for a prop. But what's a life worth, anyway?

RitcheyRch
08-18-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks. This one looks better and the website has more info.
Found more info. This is the one I originally had in mind.
http://www.maritechsafety.com/main.php?p=vl
This one comes with 4 sensors, so you can outfit passengers with them, too. It works on distance, rather than submersion, and has a "resuce" mode, so someone can maneuver the boat to pick up the perrson in the water.
I'm planning on equipping our new patrol boats with these.
Like I said. Kinda pricey ($550). Some people pay 4 times that for a prop. But what's a life worth, anyway?

KACHINA KEN
08-18-2006, 06:58 PM
I use mine religiously! I cannot even fathom my boat running down the lake at 120 MPH with no one in it to shut down the engines. I hook it around my right leg, and move it up to my knee area. This way I can still stand up and it won't pull the switch, and God forbid I get launched from the boat, it will not just slip off my ankle. Cheap easy insurance to prevent what could be a catastrophe.
Ditto, me too.

Parker Dreamin
08-18-2006, 07:11 PM
ya, after that Cat crash towards Bluewater where the boat did not shut down I told myself to wear it.... but I dont. I need to get something better to where it will wrap around my hand or something ....

OCMerrill
08-18-2006, 07:54 PM
$469.00. Good find and I am interested.
More direct link http://www.wirelesslanyard.com/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1
on edit...way late in ths type fest

RitcheyRch
08-18-2006, 08:00 PM
$469.00 is cheap insurance to save a life or lives.
$469.00. Good find and I am interested.
More direct link http://www.wirelesslanyard.com/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1
on edit...way late in ths type fest

KACHINA KEN
08-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Heres proof, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3SOC0z_gUQ This is from the weekend we were hangin with ya Mark.

OCMerrill
08-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Hold up on the car wash...RANGE OF 150 FEET Line of sight.
So in my basic math if your going more than 60-70 mph would it work? Can you hit the water and activate the deal in a second and a half or less?
How fast does it take one to hit the water? :idea:
This must be why the video shows the boats going prety damn slow. :idea:

No Name
08-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Heres proof, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3SOC0z_gUQ This is from the weekend we were hangin with ya Mark.
That’s very good Ken, I thought I was watching Miami Vice for a second. :rolleyes: :D
Why do you even need a lanyard? Your boat doesn’t even move in the chop. :mad:

Kilrtoy
08-18-2006, 08:20 PM
I was brought up always clicking one on. I dont understand how people can even think of running with out one........ :rolleyes:

Parker Dreamin
08-18-2006, 08:22 PM
she was yummy

H20 Toie
08-18-2006, 09:59 PM
I use mine but i want to get something that will just go around my arm like the ones on Jetskis then when i stop i will set it on the shifters, that way i won't forget to put it back on.
I also wear the life vests when in the ocean but not at the river.

kanedog
08-18-2006, 11:27 PM
I clip mine back to itself and then around my wrist............everytime I get on plane.

RitcheyRch
08-19-2006, 07:14 AM
The ones on jet skiis are nice. Not sure if they could be adapted to a boat.
I use mine but i want to get something that will just go around my arm like the ones on Jetskis then when i stop i will set it on the shifters, that way i won't forget to put it back on.
I also wear the life vests when in the ocean but not at the river.

Parker Dreamin
08-19-2006, 07:24 AM
The ones on jet skiis are nice. Not sure if they could be adapted to a boat.
ya, for sure...

KLEPTOW
08-19-2006, 07:29 AM
It's second nature for me. Started hooking it up back in my M/C drag racing days 20 years ago.

LHC30Victory
08-19-2006, 07:33 AM
I'd wear mine, but Advantage Boats doesnt think an 80mph boat needs one :mad:

superdave013
08-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Where to hook it up to?
Your Lifeline jacket should have a D ring to hook the kill switch too. Well at least mine does.

superdave013
08-19-2006, 07:38 AM
I'd wear mine, but Advantage Boats doesnt think an 80mph boat needs one :mad:
so why don't you just install one? Pretty simple to do.

LHC30Victory
08-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Finding out the details for a twin engine setup with a single pole switch isnt working.....Cant find a double pole switch I like.

ColeTR2
08-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Periodically check to make sure the switch is working properly / that it kills the engine.

superdave013
08-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Finding out the details for a twin engine setup with a single pole switch isnt working.....Cant find a double pole switch I like.
Humm.... might have to use a double pole relay. I wonder how the off shore racers do it.

playdeep
08-19-2006, 04:16 PM
How many of you here use your lanyard kill switch?
If you do, what reminds you to use it and how do you hook it to yourself?
...Excellent thread.
Everytime I plan on a a speed run..it's on..attaches with a velcro strap...
Now...
I'm thinkin' maybe anything over 40 I should wear it...
Anybody here ever gone to start your boat...and it won't turn over.
Think the batteries are dead...and it ends up being the kill switch accidently got tripped... :rolleyes:

RitcheyRch
08-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Good idea.
I need to find a better way to attach mine to myself.
Periodically check to make sure the switch is working properly / that it kills the engine.

DMOORE
08-19-2006, 04:45 PM
I've got 28ft Advantage Sportcat with twins. Next time I'm out I'll try to take a look at my kill switch and see how it's set up. Looks real simple though. I think both ignitions run through it.
Darrell.

Family4Day
08-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Like Ray (Lavey One) said, I bought a pack of two last year and we both have them now and use all the time. I bought them at Sports Chalet. They were a pair of adjustable ankle straps for swin/body board fins. The have an adjustable strap and a sewn in loop that would attach to the fins, but hooks on the end of a kill switch perfectly. I'll see if I can find a picture to post.
Todd

Family4Day
08-19-2006, 05:06 PM
http://www.wetsand.com/product.asp?ProdId=2105&LocationID=4&AFID=
Todd

RitcheyRch
08-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Link not working
http://www.wetsand.com/product.asp?ProdId=2105&LocationID=4&AFID=
Todd

RitcheyRch
08-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Would be nice to see a picture if possible.
Like Ray (Lavey One) said, I bought a pack of two last year and we both have them now and use all the time. I bought them at Sports Chalet. They were a pair of adjustable ankle straps for swin/body board fins. The have an adjustable strap and a sewn in loop that would attach to the fins, but hooks on the end of a kill switch perfectly. I'll see if I can find a picture to post.
Todd

Devil's Advocate
08-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Ken, from that video, I'm glad you use hook your kill switch... :crossx:

Nord
08-19-2006, 06:22 PM
...Excellent thread.
Everytime I plan on a a speed run..it's on..attaches with a velcro strap...
Now...
I'm thinkin' maybe anything over 40 I should wear it...
Anybody here ever gone to start your boat...and it won't turn over.
Think the batteries are dead...and it ends up being the kill switch accidently got tripped... :rolleyes:
ummm...yeah......guilty here.

vee-driven
08-19-2006, 06:35 PM
duh. if you are worried of getting pitch out of the boat and think you need a kill swith why arent you wearing a f@#$ing life jacket, they have provisions for a lanyard hook up and a life jacket would make it easier for them to find your body.

Jordy
08-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Nah, mine are secured with velcro so they won't pop off. :D :D :D
Then again, I use the foot throttle rather than the sticks so there wouldn't be a high speed out of control boat, just one cocktail crusing around at idle, although as deep as my boat sits, if I did come out, I have a feeling that there wouldn't be much left of the boat in the first place. :(