PDA

View Full Version : folding or removeable trailer tongue

78 Sprint
08-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Can you buy or build a folding or removeable trailer tongue. I sure would like to be able to use my garage to store my boat but the tongue sticks out to far, it is a competitive trailer and it is 3 and half buy 4 inch tubing. Any ideas would be helpful thanks.

ultra tweaker
08-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Extreme trailers makes a conversion kit that either bolts on or is welded.

Cas
08-18-2006, 05:00 PM
there were a couple of people that did there own on here. If you do a search you will probably come up with the threads. Come to think of it, I think Jeanyus was one of the people. Try a search using his user name......might have been about a year ago?

v-drive
08-18-2006, 05:17 PM
I used one of the extreme units and am very happy. My trailer is a competitive and it took a little work but I pulled it off. v-drive

Jeanyus
08-19-2006, 05:35 AM
I built this one.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/58591apivot-med.jpg
Do a search for pivot hitch. The new pivot hitch is real nice. If I did it over again I would buy the kit.

Wicked Performance Boats
08-19-2006, 02:29 PM
I have done several boat trailers. Just cut the trailer about 6" in front of the "v". then make a piece of square tubing that fits tight inside. Make it 12" long. gring it to fit tight in the removable tongue and weld it in. Then grind it to fit in the trailer tight. Drill hole through for hitch pin. Then on the trailer side weld and bend a 1" strap around the end for reinforcement from splitting. Spot paint and your done!!! Budlight

Wicked Performance Boats
08-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Where do you live? I could do it for you. Budlight

78 Sprint
08-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the replys, I live in wyoming, I might call extreme and see if they make a kit to change that over. That is a pain with that tongue that sticks out so long. I wonder what would happen if i just shorted the tongue all together, there can't be that much tongue weight on it i can pick it up and move it around by myself, thanks for all the info.

Wicked Performance Boats
08-20-2006, 02:32 PM
You can just shorten your trailer tonque, just make sure it's longer than the boat! Otherwise you'll hit the nose of the boat towing it on dips. BL