PDA

View Full Version : Taper Shoe & Ride Plate?????

junkyardhunter
08-18-2006, 07:05 PM
just wanted to know where to set my ride plate @. do I set it 4 deg up from the keel or from the shoe I have a 3 deg taper shoe. Also what happens if I move the biting edge of the shoe foward.
76 hawaiian
BBC 454
berk jc pump

jbone
08-19-2006, 06:45 AM
Every boat likes different set ups. Even same hulls could be different in the best set up.
The best thing to do is try one thing at a time and make small adjustments either way and see what works best.
4 deg sounds like a good starting point, and I'm no expert, but I believe you go off the keel, not the shoe.
J

Cs19
08-19-2006, 07:55 AM
Reference your ride plate angle from the bottom of the boat,not the shoe. The flat area next to the shoe or fins on the intake is a good place to relate your ride plate angle to.
Not sure what you mean by moving the biting edge forward but If you make a new show with more "close off" the shoe will pick up less water but the boat may see more effect from the shoe since the water will see more of the taper or backcut with the larger "pad" on the shoe.Some say there is less holeshot but stronger big end with a small intake opening. I run a small opening on my boat but for other reasons.
Good luck.

PC Rat
08-19-2006, 06:10 PM
I run a small opening on my boat but for other reasons.
And they are????

SmokinLowriderSS
08-20-2006, 04:34 AM
If I recall right what I have seen on so many other threads, you'll probably wind up somewhere between 2 and 4 degrees. 4 wouldn't be a bad place to start, if it porposes flat out, drop the plate a little at a time to get it to just stop. My memory seems to have 2.5* or so stuck in it. Like said above tho, it is all dependant on just what your boat specific wants/needs to run it's best.

junkyardhunter
08-20-2006, 11:54 AM
right now my rideplate is set @ 0 deg and my shoe is about .125 up in the hole.I just made a shoe change now its even with the keel.the big problem is the boat is riding really wet I need to air it out some.

jbone
08-20-2006, 12:07 PM
right now my rideplate is set @ 0 deg and my shoe is about .125 up in the hole.I just made a shoe change now its even with the keel.the big problem is the boat is riding really wet I need to air it out some.
I went from a tapered shoe to a backcut shoe and it rode higher (less wet). Obviously, a diverter will help too, but I'm sure you knew that.
J