PDA

View Full Version : Lee Mize Project

picklefork1
02-18-2002, 12:39 PM
Hey Superdave /Kurtis500 here are a few shots of the project. Not to much to do other than install the motor "yeh right", I've been hearing things like "put in a turbo 400", and something about a % of over drive. I don't know, I gues nothing is just "install the motor" and go. This should be fun though. Any advise you v-drive guys can give me will be greatly appreciated, from install to driving.
Thanks.
[This message has been edited by picklefork1 (edited February 20, 2002).]

Kurtis500
02-18-2002, 10:09 PM
Hey, that looks pretty good. I wonder if they re-glasses the deck, all the other Mize hydros I've seen had the cut-away deck, like a t-deck flat. I cant make out what v-drive that is from the picture. I say just put the motor in and take it out. You can split the case (maybe) and look at the gears to see what they are. If your going with an unblown BBC 12% to 22% is the best range, and one of those is probably in there already. Does this have dual rudders? By the way, there is one for sale with a picture on the classifieds here at ***boat.net. E-mail me some more pics if you have them.

Costello
02-19-2002, 07:30 PM
Don't put a Turbo 400 in a Hydro. You won't need the trans unless you're racing, and if you are racing go with a Lenco or Owens boat trans. A big automatic trans is like pouring bags of concrete in your hydro IMHO.

picklefork1
02-19-2002, 08:04 PM
Costello, I've heard good things about the Lenco, would you reccommend one over the other or are they comparable

Costello
02-20-2002, 08:08 AM
I think they are both good products, but from my limited viewpoint, I like the fact that when you take air away from the Owens it shifts up not down, so you don't get into a zing the motor situation. The Lenco however is undoubtedly a time proven piece. The nice thing about Scott Owens also is he is strictly dedicated to boats and drag Harleys, while Lenco spends most of their efforts on cars stuff. Lenco does provide excellent support trackside however at almost all boat races. Either one of these products blows away putting an automotive trans in a lightweight flat or hydro in my opinion. I wouldn't be afraid of either of them for lake racing or e.t. racing. When you start to put a lot of power to them either may have comparable "issues". Owens has developed a Spragless trans just within the last year, and most of the issues with either in the past have been sprags.