PDA

View Full Version : NEW LHC Law can now be enforced

LHC Kirby
08-19-2006, 10:22 AM
:cool: From Havasunews.com I think most of us will be ok - - leaves an option open if a group near you is being rude and offensive. Be careful and have fun!
Boaters and visitors should take notice - a much-debated new law took effect yesterday.
City Council officially passed “Offensive Conduct in Public Places” on July 11, but it now is enforceable by city police officers.
Under one broad amendment, the law bans public intoxication, violent behavior, abusive or offensive language, and indecent exposure from public places, including Bridgewater Channel.
On Friday, visitors unwinding in the channel were asked about the new law. None of the four groups, most of which were from California, knew about the behavior ordinance.
“We're not going to abide by it,” Nathan of Orange County, Calif., said.
Enjoying a few drinks, Nathan and his friends were about to embark on a ride through the channel.
“It's Havasu. Politics, schmalitics,” he added.
In another boat, a group of men visiting from southern California did not want to give their names, but one boater surmised about council's motivations for passing such a law.
“It's a way to get more money.”
If convicted, violators could face up to $2,500 in fines, plus a possible jail sentence not to six months.
Classified as a class one misdemeanor - the highest degree for a misdemeanor crime - those swearing or simply drinking too much could find themselves arrested under its provisions.
As of 3 p.m. Friday afternoon, police officers patrolling the channel area reported no arrests under the new law.
Between passing in July and becoming enforceable Friday, the law has had some controversial moments.
During the week of July 16, two men were arrested under the ordinance “Offensive Conduct in Public Places,” one for public urination and another for using offensive gestures and language while drunk at a bar.
Both men could have been arrested under existing laws, but all charges were dropped and both men were reimbursed any fines paid.
Lake Havasu City officials said the charges would not be re-filed. Chief of Police Dan Doyle assumed responsibility for the mix-up at a social gathering earlier this month.
Doyle has previously stated that all areas of conduct covered in the ordinance do exist under current laws, except for public intoxication.
In an effort to prevent any misinterpretations of the law, Lake Havasu City distributed a fact sheet to media outlets.
Part of it reads, “This ordinance enhances existing laws by giving officers greater flexibility to make an arrest when responding to complaints by citizens who are offended by drunken, loud, or other objectionable behavior in a public place.”
Addressing any possible impact on tourism, the fact sheet states, “We believe the prudent, and appropriate, application of this ordinance will improve the Lake Havasu City experience, making it more attractive for families and people who prefer to enjoy themselves responsibly.”

HavasuSelect
08-19-2006, 10:29 AM
"Under one broad amendment, the law bans public intoxication, violent behavior, abusive or offensive language, and indecent exposure from public places, including Bridgewater Channel."
That wasn't illegal before?

Blown 472
08-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Reep whatcha sow.

RitcheyRch
08-19-2006, 01:52 PM
Will be interesting on Labor Day weekend.

DMOORE
08-19-2006, 02:38 PM
So swearing in public will now be a class 1 misdemeanor? Holy $%*@!!!!! Every 7th grade boy is going to be in the pokie!!!
Do they not have better things to do with thier time. It seems thet there were already plenty of laws in place for these " offences " already.
Darrell.

LHC Kirby
08-19-2006, 10:12 PM
All of the above is true . . . . laws do exist....as stated in the article. . . This is just a election year and they are putting it out for all to see . . .
I look at it as a way to rid the channel of the rude loud groups. . .
have fun and be nice to others and all will go well. . .
HAVE A GREAT SUMMER . . . I leave for HAVASU at 0600 for 5 days . . . . good night!

ratso
08-20-2006, 07:55 AM
On the first - that was legal before?
On the second - sign language while drinking is now illegal:p
Sign language... lmao
A few years back this fat chick cut me off in traffic... and I was gonna let it slide but she flipped me off like it was my fault. I flipped her off right back. Next thing I know is she is pulled up beside me at the next light after nearly side swiping me and she is leaning out her window making all these grunts and noises and cussing me out apparently in sign language!!! This carried on til the next light until I threw my Route 44 Coke at her, hit her in the face with it and hung a hard left and got the Hell outta there!