PDA

View Full Version : Anybody heard of orrion boats

PAINELES
08-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Hi everyone i just purchased this 72 orrion jet boat I saw the pics of it on craigslist an had to have it
anyways I never really heard of orrion boats just wondering if anybody had any info on the history etc.
the engine has a crack in the block so it must go its a olds 455 I have a 455 pontiac Which I assume is the same willl I have any problems with this engine swap

YeLLowBoaT
08-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Hi everyone i just purchased this 72 orrion jet boat I saw the pics of it on craigslist an had to have it
anyways I never really heard of orrion boats just wondering if anybody had any info on the history etc.
the engine has a crack in the block so it must go its a olds 455 I have a 455 pontiac Which I assume is the same willl I have any problems with this engine swap
yes you will have probs with the swap.
you will have to buy front and rear mounts.( ebrock or nicson are hard as hell to find glenwood has them, but not the rear. so your skrewed there too.) the olds rear mount will bolt up, but you will have a hell of a time getting the starter to mesh.(trust me you don't want to go there.) The exhaust is also diffrent... trust me when I say its almost imposable to find logs for a pontiac.( ebrock or nicson) glenwood still sales then but they are ugly. Rewarder makes ots and custom stuff( they are making mine.)
Now lets talk fuel pumps. No motor mount/time cover ever built for a marine app has provistions for a mech fuel pump. so You have 3 options:
1) build a mount and get a auto motive timing cover. Then build a water pump cover.
2) find a old cam driven fuel pump( think water pump on old vdires) once again very hard to find
3) or run a electric pump
I would love to see another pontiac on the water, but you can buy a complete running 455 olds for half of what the parts you will need costs. hell you could hot rod the hell of out of a core and still be a head.
here just a break down on some of the costs: ( I have looked into it alot.)
mounts ( www.glenwoodmarine.com) $600
Exhuast $800-1000( trust me I have looked for 3 years to find a set on ebay, I have never found a set that was not cracked. yes its not that hard to fix them... the logs are fairly ez to find, the elbows are the prob...I have seen 1 in 3 years and it had 3 cracks in it. and no they are not a standard size... they are funky.) If you have dports your skrewed on finding old stuff, if you have ram air /ebrock prots your only choice is calling rewarder and have them make you a set. I almost forgot if you run any of the logs you need to find one of the older drop down oild brackets. nicson only made about 500 of them glen wood has not carred them in 15 years. your only choice is to drill and tap the block for a remote filter so add another $100.
Fuel pump and stuff $200-400
When all is said and done you are looking atleast 2k for just parts to do the swap.
you might get really lucky and find some stuff on ebay. then again you wil have to beat out me and a few other pontiac guys :crossx:

victorfb
08-20-2006, 10:59 PM
not the best time of year to find parts for sale for an olds, (normally just before the boating season) but i would hold out for a new to you 455 olds block, or complete motor. many people have been swapping thier olds 455s for either chevy or ford. you may find a complete set up for alot less. what cracked? can it be welded/repaired? 99% nickle and sometimes even bronze alloy will fix your problem. the plan to swap over to the pontiac is for basically a pontiac enthusiest and not really a cost effective swap. (as mentioned allready). long term, you may want to consider a ford/chevy swap. if it were me, id hold out for a 455 olds block or complete motor. i found one a few years back for $450 complete with logs, carb to pan from a boat. and yes the engine was in good condition. they are out there. if you get lucky at your local wrecking yard yo may find a block for cheap. just my $.02

ss396
08-21-2006, 08:25 PM
i have meet orrin and he has built some famous v-drive and jet boat hauls. he has worked and designed some of the most well known boat names in the low profile boat designs. his craftmanship is some of the best i have ever seen. he has worked for sanger boats-lavey craft-bessimier and there are other i can not remeber at this time and if i remeber right he is the one that designed the first bubble deck and t-deck. as to the motor i would stay with the olds. the 455 olds build some of the biggest and best torque for a jet :)

PAINELES
08-28-2006, 09:43 PM
I just got time to look at my moter mounts it looks like I got the rail type moter mounts which acording to http://www.cpperformance.com/ its universal an custumed designed for the boat which is kinda the opposite things Im so cofused. :confused:
I got my hands on a 454 :clover: running I want to put in now, will this rail style mount work for me?
I dont care what it looks like as the moter is covered .
I know I need new exhaust manifolds can I use my old risers ?
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/paineles/album?.dir=970ascd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
heres some pictures the day i got it home excuse the mess (ie rat turds :eat: :yuk: an etc.) I cleaned it today an took some more pictures but my camera wont plug in here at home........... long story
as you can see its no low pro bubble deck but stilll way ahead of its time for a 72 orrion it looks like an old malibu or natique but jet powered :2purples:Which is just what I was looking for.
ps you pontiac guys where fast to reply thanks for the info but I still cant see why the pontiac wont bolt up to my mounts but I'd rather have a chevy in there anyways.
an thanks for the orrion info I know la Grande drive (where the boat was made ) is just off stockton blvd just south of 47th street in south sac

TRUMP TIGHT
08-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Looks like you got some work to do but hopefully you have fun doing it!