PDA

View Full Version : hand guns

LAFD
08-21-2006, 10:41 AM
whats the process to buy a handgun. take a written and practical test? any help would be appreciated.

HM
08-21-2006, 10:45 AM
whats the process to buy a handgun. take a written and practical test? any help would be appreciated.
Buy it. fill out paper work. two weeks later, assuming back ground check is o.k., you get to pick the gun up.

andy01
08-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Hand written test, it's easy. Then two weeks later you get the gun. Can't buy more then two a month I think it is.

LAFD
08-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Buy it. fill out paper work. two weeks later, assuming back ground check is o.k., you get to pick the gun up.
cool backround clean thanks for the info.

socalmoney
Live your life fee of felony convictions or mental instability. California - State law requires handgun buyers to obtain a "handgun safety certificate" (like a license) prior to purchasing a handgun. The handgun buyer must pass a written safety test and a hands-on safety demonstration and provide fingerprints and proof of residency. The certificate is also required for anyone who wishes to be "loaned" a handgun outside of the presence of the owner. Walk in to gun shop and choose your weapon of choice. Fill out the paper work and wait 10 days.

Trailer Park Casanova
If you're a veteran, then your dd214 will past for the safety part of it.
All the paperwork is handled by the gun shop.
A good gun shop is Grettas in Simi, and any gunshop in Burbank Ca.

LAFD
08-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Hand written test, it's easy. Then two weeks later you get the gun. Can't buy more then two a month I think it is.
cool. is there something to study from?

HM
08-21-2006, 10:49 AM
cool. is there something to study from?
I am not sure how someone could fail this test.

NOTALENT
Just a simple written test, mostly commen sense. Also once you pass that they should you how to load it, unload it and put on the lock. You have to show them how to afterwards and pass that as well.

socalmoney
you might want to check but California might not sell to "LITTLE ANGRY FUC*ING DUDES". Enter the gun shop with a smile. haha

LAFD
08-21-2006, 10:50 AM
If you're a veteran, then your dd214 will past for the safety part of it.
All the paperwork is handled by the gun shop.
A good gun shop is Grettas in Simi, and any gunshop in Burbank Ca.
didnt know there was a gunshop in burbank. where is one located.

LAFD
08-21-2006, 10:51 AM
you might want to check but California might not sell to "LITTLE ANGRY FUC*ING DUDES". Enter the gun shop with a smile. haha
so what your saying is not to walk in with a smile and lose the post office uniform.

NOTALENT
08-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Haha...when I was there I passed 100% an older guy around 40 or so was taking it...he failed and got pissed that I passed....what can I say... :p

LAFD
08-21-2006, 10:52 AM
cool had no idea what was on it just wanted to know what the process was.

LHC30Victory
08-21-2006, 11:02 AM
go to Arizona, pay cash, go home :rolleyes:

HocusPocus
08-21-2006, 11:04 AM
in Az its much easier.. go to the gun shop, pick the weapon of your choice, pay for it, then take it home.

sintax
08-21-2006, 11:11 AM
You have to take a multiple choice test to get this lame little cert that pretty much says you have the common sense of a 12 yr old. After you get before mentioned cert you just pay for your firearm, fill out your DROS paper work. Come back in 10 days to collect your firearm. When you come to pick it up you'll have to do a minor handling test.
They give you your firearm, you load a round, eject the mag, you rack the slide to show the round is still in there and that even though the mag is not in there the weapon can be "live". Then clear the round.
Very simple. They'll show you the routine before you have to do it and help you do it if you need to. You really cant fail this. Its not really a test.
BTW: when you go to fill out your paperwork make sure you bring your car registration or some utility bill or something showing your address. They will want a second form of ID w/ your address.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscman.pdf <=- handgun Safety Cert Manual
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf <=- Study guide
once you get the HSC (Handgun Saftey Cert) its good for 5 yrs from what I remember.
BTW, what kinda gun are you picking up?

Run_em_Hard
08-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Bought mine about a year ago...walked in picked out my gun, they called in a background(5 min), paid and carried it out with me. Wow Utah does have some perks!!!

NashvilleBound
08-21-2006, 11:28 AM
You guys crack me up.... ok LAFD, Do you know exactly which gun you want? Used it before? If not go to your local range and rent it...fire 100 rounds through it.... Lots of variables with this beleive it or not. Are you going to use it for home protection only? Recreation only? Another set of choices for the right weapon..... If its going to be used in the house make sure you take a safety course and if your married your wife attends!!!! Lots more to consider even down to what what rounds you use. If your interested in anything else just PM me.
NB

djunkie
08-21-2006, 11:30 AM
It has happened. Or so I was told when I took it. :rolleyes:

LAFD
08-21-2006, 11:45 AM
You guys crack me up.... ok LAFD, Do you know exactly which gun you want? Used it before? If not go to your local range and rent it...fire 100 rounds through it.... Lots of variables with this beleive it or not. Are you going to use it for home protection only? Recreation only? Another set of choices for the right weapon..... If its going to be used in the house make sure you take a safety course and if your married your wife attends!!!! Lots more to consider even down to what what rounds you use. If your interested in anything else just PM me.
NB
thanks for the info not sure exactly what i want but its gunna be for home protection.

wildbillg
08-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Bought mine about a year ago...walked in picked out my gun, they called in a background(5 min), paid and carried it out with me. Wow Utah does have some perks!!!
Same thing here in AZ, went in found the gun I had been lookin at, paid for it they made a phone call 5 min later the gun and ammo are in my hands and im walkin out to my truck. But before I left they made sure and asked if I wanted to buy any more guns in the next 24 hours that they did not need to make any call and I could buy anything ....
AHHHHH the wild wild west...... :)

socalmoney
08-21-2006, 11:53 AM
thanks for the info not sure exactly what i want but its gunna be for home protection.
Get a dog for home protection. The dog will work even if your gone. Get a gun because you like guns. Otherwise get a good ol' Remington 870. The sound of the pump stops them in their tracks. Remember even a justified shooting could cost you around a million to defend.

LAFD
08-21-2006, 11:53 AM
You have to take a multiple choice test to get this lame little cert that pretty much says you have the common sense of a 12 yr old. After you get before mentioned cert you just pay for your firearm, fill out your DROS paper work. Come back in 10 days to collect your firearm. When you come to pick it up you'll have to do a minor handling test.
They give you your firearm, you load a round, eject the mag, you rack the slide to show the round is still in there and that even though the mag is not in there the weapon can be "live". Then clear the round.
Very simple. They'll show you the routine before you have to do it and help you do it if you need to. You really cant fail this. Its not really a test.
BTW: when you go to fill out your paperwork make sure you bring your car registration or some utility bill or something showing your address. They will want a second form of ID w/ your address.
once you get the HSC (Handgun Saftey Cert) its good for 5 yrs from what I remember.
thanks for the info. goin with a 45 not sure what model. looking at glocks,colts, and rugers. but havent decided have to go in and see which one feel right.

LAFD
08-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Get a dog for home protection. The dog will work even if your gone. Get a gun because you like guns. Otherwise get a good ol' Remington 870. The sound of the pump stops them in their tracks. Remember even a justified shooting could cost you around a million to defend.
i have two shotguns and a few rifles but just want a handgun.

STV_Keith
08-21-2006, 11:56 AM
go to Arizona, pay cash, go home :rolleyes:
Unfortunately, for a dealer to do that is illegal.
"(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?
A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]"

STV_Keith
08-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Well, I don't agree, but we'll not get into that here. :)
The average is $50k to defend if the PD doesn't think it was self-defense. Goes up from there obviously. Civil is a whole different ball of wax.

Cole Trickle
08-21-2006, 12:01 PM
The average is $50k to defend if the PD doesn't think it was self-defense. Goes up from there obviously. Civil is a whole different ball of wax.
Make sure there not able to give there side of the story :crossx:

sintax
08-21-2006, 12:04 PM
.45 is a classic good ol' stand by round. Cheap to shoot and has some stopping power. Cant really go wrong with it.
You might also want to take a look at a Sig P220. They are very fine guns and are really on the mark right out of the box. I've seen people shoot better with a untouched P220 then with a semi-worked 1911.
Then again, a nice 1911 is not a bad way to go. You can pick up a Springfield GI for a few hundred and have a very nice shooter. And if the bug bites you can dump $2k into it, cause i'm sure since you are a boat owner you like flushing money into things :rollside:
Might also want to check out www.calguns.com (http://www.calguns.com) for some infos. Its a very good board with some very informed people. Since we have so many f'd up gun laws its nice to have a web forum where locals can discuss the importance of knowing the laws. As always there are retards on the site too.

STV_Keith
08-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Make sure there not able to give there side of the story :crossx:
Hmm, have you had one of Gabe's classes? ;)
http://www.suarezintl.com/

Trailer Park Casanova
08-21-2006, 12:09 PM
didnt know there was a gunshop in burbank. where is one located.
Gun World (formerly Stevens)
Nice place to do business.
2412 W Magnolia
Burbank
818 238 9071

socalmoney
08-21-2006, 12:09 PM
I was referring to civil. Lets face it, no matter how bad the bad guy was that you shoot, the family will always say what a great guy he was and he didn't deserve to die. They will take your house, cars, and boats. It is easy money for these people.

STV_Keith
08-21-2006, 12:10 PM
I was referring to civil. Lets face it, no matter how bad the bad guy was that you shoot, the family will always say what a great guy he was and he didn't deserve to die. They will take your house, cars, and boats. It is easy money for these people.
Isn't that just BS though! Makes me sick...but, if it's him or me...I'm living!

socalmoney
08-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Isn't that just BS though! Makes me sick...but, if it's him or me...I'm living!
Agreed. Remember the old saying "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

godfather
08-21-2006, 12:35 PM
i have the glock .40 and i love it. :D

YeLLowBoaT
08-21-2006, 12:45 PM
In ca you now must base a basic test they will give you a HSC card. its good for 5 years.
You now must bring 2 forms of id ( ld mi pass port.. hunting and fishing lic still work for this but not proof of residents...why would you buy a gun in CA if you did not live here I do not know.)
You must all so show proof of residentcy: Rent recites or a power/ phone bill( none cell) will work.
Paper work.
right thumb print.
you then must wait 10 24 hour periods. not 10 days 10 24 hour incraments. so IE if you buy it at 11 am you must wait till have 11 am on the 10th day. which is why most places hold them for 11 days.
B4 you can have the gun you must pass a safe handling demo. its ez, just make sure you fallow the guys instuctions. If you load and unload like normal you will FAIL this test. It has to be done a exact way.
Now I am a instructor for this "demo" I still have to do it. its a joke. like I said if you do it the way you normally would, YOU WILL FAIL. so just pay attention and take your time.

Bense468
08-21-2006, 12:54 PM
This is exactly what you have to do in California. Test is really common sense. Don't shoot grandma etc. Know how to handle your gun and your golden. If not, take a class.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
08-21-2006, 12:55 PM
I have a Sig 226....9mm......
Great gun for home protection......
I would also love to get the 40 Cal, but a 9mm is more easily controlled by us common folks.....
http://remtek.com/arms/sig/model/226/226.htm
Later,
CJG
:)

SmokinLowriderSS
08-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Get a gun because you like guns. Otherwise get a good ol' Remington 870. The sound of the pump stops them in their tracks. Remember even a justified shooting could cost you around a million to defend.
If the sound of it clanging shut doesn't stop 'em, an ounce and 3/8 of 6's will, like a freight train coming thru. Hi-brass Pheasant shells, great stuff. The muzzle energy is incredible. 2361 foot pounds of energy (my best .45acp load is 591 foot pounds with a 185 grain JHP, 556 with a 230gr JHP).
No, inside a house you DO NOT want buckshot OR slugs. Both go through sheetrock walls like they are so much tissue paper and hit people in line. Birdshot is king indoors. It will not pass through 2 layers of sheetrock ((I have tested this) and if ANY of it does, so little energy is left it is unlikely to do more than raise a welt)yet is quite lethal to a human recipient at 30 feet, even through heavy clothing, no matter WHAT chemicals he has "modifying" his system (Crack, Crank, Heroin, no problem :skull: ). Instantly gets their undivided attention too, and they immediately sit down on the floor (well ok, "sit" isn't real accurate LOL, "immediately" is tho). They also tend to immediately drop anyhting they are holding like guns/knives/the good silver/the DVD player, etc.
Here in Ks, the major city I live near has a 7-day wait, :yuk: the county is instant-check. :cool:

SmokinLowriderSS
08-21-2006, 03:22 PM
.40 S&W is a good, capable round, but it IS a bit to much "snap" in the hand for some people to be comfortable with.
9mm Parabelum is acceptable IMO, but needs to be loaded with light-weight JHP's to be acceptable, and a LOT of them. I think 15 years of police use of "147 grain subsonic 9mm" (heavy, slow, small calibre for the non-shooters) has been proven to be a BAD idea. A couple 9mm hits sure beat a .45 or .50AE miss whistling past the bad guy. Shot placement is genuine gun controll.
IMO, anything below 9mm, like 380, needs to land on the forehead.

VanDeano
08-21-2006, 04:02 PM
If the sound of it clanging shut doesn't stop 'em, an ounce and 3/8 of 6's will, like a freight train coming thru. Hi-brass Pheasant shells, great stuff. The muzzle energy is incredible. 2361 foot pounds of energy (my best .45acp load is 591 foot pounds with a 185 grain JHP, 556 with a 230gr JHP).
No, inside a house you DO NOT want buckshot OR slugs. Both go through sheetrock walls like they are so much tissue paper and hit people in line. Birdshot is king indoors. It will not pass through 2 layers of sheetrock ((I have tested this) and if ANY of it does, so little energy is left it is unlikely to do more than raise a welt)yet is quite lethal to a human recipient at 30 feet, even through heavy clothing, no matter WHAT chemicals he has "modifying" his system (Crack, Crank, Heroin, no problem :skull: ). Instantly gets their undivided attention too, and they immediately sit down on the floor (well ok, "sit" isn't real accurate LOL, "immediately" is tho). They also tend to immediately drop anyhting they are holding like guns/knives/the good silver/the DVD player, etc.
Here in Ks, the major city I live near has a 7-day wait, :yuk: the county is instant-check. :cool:
It sounds like you had first hand experience with this scenario. :cool:

STV_Keith
08-21-2006, 08:36 PM
It will not pass through 2 layers of sheetrock ((I have tested this) and if ANY of it does, so little energy is left it is unlikely to do more than raise a welt)yet is quite lethal to a human recipient at 30 feet, even through heavy clothing, no matter WHAT chemicals he has "modifying" his system (Crack, Crank, Heroin, no problem :skull: ).
This is also true of .223 / 5.56x45. As long as it hits the sheetrock at +2700fps, it will fragment and basically disintegrate. From a 16" barrel, distance to no-fragmentation is almost 150 yards, so it's also a good in the house gun. Drawbacks being length (but same issue with a shotty), but low recoil and 20+ rounds make it a nice choice too.

YeLLowBoaT
08-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Any shot shell in the confines of a house will work great on a un armored person. you have to understand that at close range you will still have a very tight pattern. even # 8 light game/target loads will drop some 1 inside of a house. The 1st and last sound you will hear is the racking of my old 870 pump. No warning just bang. I have a hallway that makes a 90 degree turn. once you cross that point your dead( only bedrooms from that point on) take what ever you want in the rest of the house. Come around that corner and your dead.

SmokinLowriderSS
08-22-2006, 03:15 AM
It sounds like you had first hand experience with this scenario. :cool:
I shoot IDPA when my life permits. And after reading the above about birdshot, tried it on a small built piece of 2x4 wall. From 6 feet I got some of it thru 2 pieces of 1/2" 'rock, not a chance thru the third, just bounced off. That was 7 1/2 if I remember right.
12-ga is the "housebroom", a good handgun is a good backup to it.

SmokinLowriderSS
08-22-2006, 03:18 AM
At 10 yrds, a load of fast 6's works great on 50-pound steel poppers too.
My rack slam is a bit softer, from a Rem mod 11 semi-aut riot-gun (18" barrell), or the Huglu (Turkish souveneir) pump/auto, 20" barrell, 9 rnds.