PDA

View Full Version : oil pan dimentions

holorinhal
01-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Can any one tell me if a 16 quart oil pan ,with 10 3/4" depth on a BBC will fit in a jet boat with stringer mounted engine mounts?

sanger rat
01-12-2006, 08:21 PM
Most jet boat pans are just under 8 inches deep.

sleekcrafter
01-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Sounds a bit deep, the likely problem would be hitting the intake on your jetdrive. Mock it up before you have your engine all done, it will be much less painful to find out now.
sleek

holorinhal
01-16-2006, 06:54 PM
well hell,i guess i will be returning/exchanging the pan I ordered.somthing told me ,after i had ordered it,that it would be too deep.
all the pans that i have looked at,that are 8"deep,only hold 8-9 quarts,I was hoping for at least 10.what volume pans are most of you running?is 8 quarts enough?

LynnsJet
01-16-2006, 07:03 PM
If you want the best in oil systems go dry sump and forget this deep pan thing. It will be less windage for the crank, suction out of the galley & oil pan (both front & back if you want) and a steady supply of oil to let your motor live.
L J

Oldsquirt
01-16-2006, 07:33 PM
well hell,i guess i will be returning/exchanging the pan I ordered.somthing told me ,after i had ordered it,that it would be too deep.
all the pans that i have looked at,that are 8"deep,only hold 8-9 quarts,I was hoping for at least 10.what volume pans are most of you running?is 8 quarts enough?
Hal, here's a link to the oil pan page at RexMarine.Oil Pans (http://www.rexmar.com/page269.html) You can see they are available in a wide range of sizes. There are similar offerings at the other major performance marine supply stores. You might even be able to order a marine pan from Summit or Jegs. Just stay with the stock 7.8" depth(sometimes listed as 8") and you will be ok.

Konabud
01-16-2006, 07:38 PM
This is the one I just bought for my Kona with a Ford 460. I'll have to modify the cross member between the motor mounts a bit but it will fit. It's 8.75 in the front but only 7.0 at the rear of the pan and it's 10 qts.
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=milodon+31365&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

flat broke
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm not so sure that pan is going to be all that hot for a 460 in a boat. Typically speaking you want to move the pickup to the rear in a marine application as the boat ususually sits nose high, and oil get pushed to the rear of the pan. I know Fords have the oil pump in front, but the oil doesn't care where someone put the pump. Gravity and physics are going to dictate where the oil goes.
You might want to see what other options you have for your application.
Chris

Konabud
01-16-2006, 08:05 PM
I'm not so sure that pan is going to be all that hot for a 460 in a boat. Typically speaking you want to move the pickup to the rear in a marine application as the boat ususually sits nose high, and oil get pushed to the rear of the pan. I know Fords have the oil pump in front, but the oil doesn't care where someone put the pump. Gravity and physics are going to dictate where the oil goes.
You might want to see what other options you have for your application.
Chris
If you're talking about the pan I just bought, the pickup is in the rear. I think the theory is at speed the pan is pretty much level on the bottom. This allows for more volume than just a rear sump pan. There's a tray that directs all the oil coming down from the motor to the back of the pan plus it has baffels to keep the oil back there. The whole reason I bought this pan was to get away from the front sump pan the boat came with. :)
Also here's another link I recently ran across in Gear heads
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/flats/1624/

Duane HTP
01-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Another possible place
http://www.bassettracing.com/newpage3.htm
Part # 9006-7

Ralph Brunt
01-17-2006, 06:10 AM
i just took my boat to armondo's so he could measure for my pan i put the link up in the gear heads section. so if you want to wait until next weekend when i get my pan and i'll take pics for you. he is building 2 pans for me one for the 460 stroked to a 501 and one for a hemi headed 460 dont buy the milodon pan if you have a stroker motor it wont clear any thing but a stock stroke. ralph oh yeah thae pan windage tray and pickup around 350 will let you know when he is done building it

holorinhal
01-20-2006, 11:29 PM
http:// just took my boat to armondo's so he could measure for my pan i put the link up in the gear heads section. so if you want to wait until next weekend when i get my pan and i'll take pics for you. he is building 2 pans for me one for the 460 stroked to a 501 and one for a hemi headed 460 dont buy the milodon pan if you have a stroker motor it wont clear any thing but a stock stroke. ralph oh yeah thae pan windage tray and pickup around 350 will let you know when he is done building it

holorinhal
01-22-2006, 03:36 PM
What volume oil pan is most everyone runnig?
The pans that Ihave found that are 8"deep,are 8-10 quarts.Is that enough?Iwas trying to go 14-16 quarts.

holorinhal
01-26-2006, 02:25 PM
IS A 9-10 QUART OIL PAN SUFFICIENT VOLUME FOR A BBC.
What volume pan is most every one running?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-26-2006, 03:07 PM
IS A 9-10 QUART OIL PAN SUFFICIENT VOLUME FOR A BBC.
What volume pan is most every one running?
I run a 10qt pan with about 8 qts in it....

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-26-2006, 03:08 PM
?Iwas trying to go 14-16 quarts.
THATS ALOT OF OIL!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont think it is that serious;)

holorinhal
01-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Thank's 396,that's what I needed to know.
I had bought a moroso pan,16 qt's but it is too deep,I'm sure.I don't have an extra block to do a mockup for measurement's.
I did find a moroso 9qt and a milodon 10 and 12 qt,one 7.5 and one 8.5.
By the way ,do You know how deep You'rs is.Any way thank's for the info...Hal

MACHINEHEAD
01-26-2006, 10:19 PM
I like the Canton 9-10 qt. jet pan with 8 qts in it. Integrated tray/baffle/door arangement,W/stick and pick up about $440 Avail at Concept Marine in Montclair CA