PDA

View Full Version : Pool repair question.

Daytona100
08-21-2006, 01:41 PM
I have 2 inch pvc comeing out of my pool pump and developed a leak. So I was gonna repair it and had some problems. What kind of glue-sealant should I use to connect the lines. I tried pvc glue and the thing blew apart when I turned on the pump. Is there a special glue I should use? I want to give it one more try before I call up the pool guy. Any help appreciated.

Pheelin Phroggy
08-21-2006, 02:11 PM
I just installed solar heating which pushed my 2" to 1 1/2 in. I oringinally used only the pvc glue and it leaked everywhere, I pulled it apart, used the pvc primer with 3 coats and then the glue. not a leak anywhere. (actually read the directions the 2nd time). The pvc primer, when used correctly, softens the pvc and actually serves to weld the pvc together.

lakewake
08-21-2006, 02:28 PM
I second Phroggy .... you have to use the primer first.

Trailer Park Casanova
08-21-2006, 02:30 PM
I second Phroggy .... you have to use the primer first.
Yep, there it is, and give it at least 12 hrs to dry.
Oh,, and use fresh glue.

Beer Factor
08-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Primer and christy's blue glue is the best. Make sure the pipe is dry, and clean off any old glue. You should be in business.

Daytona100
08-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Thank you. I didnt know about the primer. Made one hell of a guyser ill give it a shot tonight.

eman1625
08-21-2006, 03:53 PM
We just had to re plum our equipment because of some leaks....used IPS WELD*ON. Blue. Works great.

Chico&Zeus
08-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Get some "Purple Primer" and a can of "Red Hot Blue Glue"....this is what they use to repair sprinklers...there can even be some water in the line, but try to dry everything......the glue only needs to set up for 30 minutes and she will hold.

Daytona100
08-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the help I did it with the primer and glue tommorow ill fire it up and hopefully no leaks. :)

YeLLowBoaT
08-21-2006, 10:38 PM
make sure you read the instuctions. some companys want you to put the glue on when the primer is still wet, others after it drys. One even tells you to use the primer twice.
If you fit your pipe correctly and fallow the instuctions there is no way for it to leak. hell if you just fit your pipe correctly you can get away with no glue in low preusre apps.

ROZ
08-22-2006, 12:44 AM
I go to a local landscape supply company and buy gallons of Primer and the gray glue.. I think the glue is 2711 model number. There's a clear one as well, but use the gray. I use a lot , but you can buy it in much smaller canisters.
Slop the primer on and immediately apply glue to the female coupler, then glue the male pipe, swab the female side again, and then fit the pipes together... You can fire it up in a half hour or so..